• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro reveals tidbits on HeartGold and SoulSilver: New artwork, screenshots reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CoroCoro reveals tidbits on HeartGold and SoulSilver: New artwork, screenshots re

I think the point was that "3rd games" appear to be retconned. Which is what I'm starting to think as well.
But Yellow isn't the Gen I third game, or even /a/ third game. Blue was, officially. Yellow was only the third game for the rest of the world for obvious reasons.

And there's no proof this game won't take Crystal's plot and mingle it with whatever plot elements from GS that didn't make it into Crystal.

Because if anything, third games are the retcon of the first two. Emerald took the alternate halves of RuSa and put them together very convincingly. Platinum did the same with the alternate split of Dialga vs Palkia when it came to Team Galactic. I never played Crystal, but I know it had a little more substance than GS, only because they added a character like Eusine.

Re: CoroCoro reveals tidbits on HeartGold and SoulSilver: New artwork, screenshots re

But Yellow isn't the Gen I third game, or even /a/ third game. Blue was, officially. Yellow was only the third game for the rest of the world for obvious reasons.

And there's no proof this game won't take Crystal's plot and mingle it with whatever plot elements from GS that didn't make it into Crystal.

Because if anything, third games are the retcon of the first two. Emerald took the alternate halves of RuSa and put them together very convincingly. Platinum did the same with the alternate split of Dialga vs Palkia when it came to Team Galactic. I never played Crystal, but I know it had a little more substance than GS, only because they added a character like Eusine.

Crystal was pretty plot-heavy, so I'd be a bit surprised if bits of it weren't included in HGSS.
I actually never played GS; I had Crystal. Whenever I think of Gen II's plot, I tend to think of what happened in Crystal.

Remember back to 2003, when we learned of this.

How many were freaking out then? How many hated the idea. How many were ready to kill Game Freak over FRLG.

I've waited for HGSS as GSDS for five years. I'm happy.

Ooo, touch screen menu. Wait, what is that middle button on the right? Report? Is that new?

Report = save

...I still don't understand why it's 'report' in the Japanese games...

Report = save

...I still don't understand why it's 'report' in the Japanese games...
Its a report of what you did so far!

Its a report of what you did so far!

so basically like the Journal in D/P/Pt? I kinda like this feature that came in FR/LG, although then it was a visual show of what you did last when you started the game from last save.

No.. not a journal, just what the 'save' option is called in the Japanese version.

I guess that'd make sense though, since it's a "report" of what you did so far but..

No.. not a journal, just what the 'save' option is called in the Japanese version.

I guess that'd make sense though, since it's a "report" of what you did so far but..
Ask yourself this:
Does anything in Japan make sense? Do that and shrug it off like I do. :ksmile:

My guess is that they also don't want to name rivals after versions any longer (At least offically).

I guess that's certainly true. They've been moving away from version names altogether now, outside of the Special manga.

28krres.png
trainers.jpg

Come on tell me the new duo isn't better!

OK. The new duo isn't better.

The concept of a tomboy may be pretty overused in video games (Marle, Zelda, etc.) but Kris was one of the few in Pokémon (at least, she dressed like one). All the other female protagonists have basically been jailbait.

Not a bad picture of the new ones, though.

With the introduction of Fire Red and Leaf Green, you now had the ability to choose between two protagonists, each can be named "Red" or "Green" or other names. Since she doesn't have an offical name, most peope tend to call her "Leaf".
The name "Leaf" is canon on grounds of being associated with the character's sprite in the trainer list of FireRed, LeafGreen and and Emerald. It is used in exactly the same context as "Red", "May" and "Brendan", which are undoubtedly canon due to being pre-set in certain games. Leaf shouldn't be any different, even though she has yet to be used as an NPC in any of the games (which may very well be changed now).

So they opted to invent a new character and call her "Silver" (Or Soul possibly).
We most definitely don't know that for a fact yet.

What does this mean for the rival? well, he might get a "new" name. Think about it, he may finally get a name that isn't named after a version.
Why would he? Red and Green retained their original names for FireRed and LeafGreen, even though May and Brendan had deviated from the pattern. Much like in the Generation II games, they should have those names be pre-set in HeartGold and SoulSilver, as well; I don't see why either Gold or Silver should make an exception.

Having said that, the player characters are also most likely going to have pre-set names now that the opposite-gender character has a role in the story. This is more difficult than it may seem at first, for the following reasons:

• The names "Gold" and "Silver" will be the default names for the player character and the rival, depending on the version. In light of the risk of having colliding identities (which is likely for players who don't come up with their own names), the opposite-gender character can't be given either one of those names.
  • If to follow FireRed and LeafGreen's precedent, "Heart" will be available as a default name for HeartGold players, while "Soul" will be appear as a possible name for SoulSilver players. If the opposite-gender character were to follow that naming convention, then the name would depend on the version (being the prefix of the opposite version's name), rather than on the character's gender. This would cause a very apparent problem when playing as the female character in SoulSilver, since "Heart" is far too feminine a name for a boy to have (at least without having the ability to change it).

You may may suggest that "Heart" and "Soul" not be available as default names for the player characters, making it possible for the non-playable male character be called Soul, while his female counterpart will be known as Heart. However, the male character bears a striking resemblance to Gold - to the point where the aforementioned convention would create confusion as to how Gold's reincarnation could be associated with the remade Silver version. Besides, "Soul" isn't that good a name for him, either.

It follows from the above considerations that another set of names should be used. The difficulty in finding such names is that if they didn't have any connection to any of the versions, they would look out of place with Red and Green being present in the games (and quite possibly Leaf, as well). To that end, I propose using "Chris" for the male character and "Kris" for the female one - the default names from Crystal. Unlike other versions, Crystal's primary defualt names reflected the characters' genders and also took real-life naming conventions into account. They would therefore be appropriate even in a pair of games that didn't have "Crystal" in their titles.

If Game Freak implemented my idea, fans would still be inclined to refer to the male character as "Gold" owing to the extreme similarity to the original character, and also in view of the fact that "Chris" was just Crystal's replacement of "Gold". With the female character, however, "Kris" would be an obvious reference to Crystal's female protagonist, and would be more viable a name than either "Heart" or "Soul" (which would just be two of several version-dependent names - without there being any indication of which one is the most fitting). There would be no distinction between the female characters, much like in Red's case where his name compensated for the extreme makeover.

Last edited:

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm liking the new girl's design. When I first saw it, I did have a bit of a WTF? reaction, but now it's grown on me. She's really cute.

It's going to be a long wait for these games. I really want them now!

You may may suggest that "Heart" and "Soul" not be available as default names for the player characters, making it possible for the non-playable male character be called Soul, while his female counterpart will be known as Heart. However, the male character bears a striking resemblance to Gold - to the point where the aforementioned convention would create confusion as to how Gold's reincarnation could be associated with the remade Silver version. Besides, "Soul" isn't that good a name for him, either.

Actually, there's a screenshot in the video game forums showing the Poketch screen displaying Gold's name as Soul right now.

Actually, there's a screenshot in the video game forums showing the Poketch screen displaying Gold's name as Soul right now.
That's the player's name; it doesn't mean anything in and of itself. If it did, we would be calling Lucas "Diamond", which is the name commonly shown in screenshots.

In fact, this just raises the probability that the opposite-gender character will not be called either "Heart" or "Soul". Otherwise, the male character will be known as Heart to female SoulSilver players.

The boy is actually growing on me so I'll gladly play as him, if only for the moé factor.

The girl however, she still looks like a poorly-dressed Mario clown. Till she gets an official name, I will call her Maria.
Maria's colors, there is no consistant theme. Her bag is yellow, her Pokegear is pink (dark and light), her socks are black and white, her overalls are blue, she's got the red and white hoodie and the black shirt and has brown hair. The pallette is all over the place. It'd be a bit better if they had given her blue hair like her overalls or made the leggings back and gold.
And trashed the hat.

Pokétch? Also, can you provide a link? I haven't found it.

Maria's colors, there is no consistant theme. Her bag is yellow, her Pokegear is pink (dark and light), her socks are black and white, her overalls are blue, she's got the red and white hoodie and the black shirt and has brown hair. The pallette is all over the place. It'd be a bit better if they had given her blue hair like her overalls or made the leggings back and gold.
And trashed the hat.

There's a red, white and blue theme. The red carries from her shirt to her shoes, the white from her hat to her collar to her socks and the blue from her overalls.

What are you to say about Hikari's original design?

ArtHikari.jpg
It has pink, black, white, red and yellow. Though, just so you know, bags don't really count in color schemes for fashion. ;)

It's good to have a wide pallet. It's not boring.

On that note, if they're getting into the habit of creating new heroines for games whose correlating title name isn't of the original two...I predict if they ever remake RuSa and DP, May will be safe and Dawn will be not.
Both May and Dawn actually play important roles in the game even if they aren't the main character. If I had to bet on a character that would be heavily reworked, it would be Brendan. You know, to better establish that the white thing on his head is infact a hat and not hair.

Both May and Dawn actually play important roles in the game even if they aren't the main character. If I had to bet on a character that would be heavily reworked, it would be Brendan. You know, to better establish that the white thing on his head is infact a hat and not hair.

That would be because it looks like no hat ever made anywhere ever.

That's the player's name; it doesn't mean anything in and of itself. If it did, we would be calling Lucas "Diamond", which is the name commonly shown in screenshots.

In fact, this just raises the probability that the opposite-gender character will not be called either "Heart" or "Soul". Otherwise, the male character will be known as Heart to female SoulSilver players.

UL, you know that "Red" and "Leaf" are among the optional names in FRLG for the player, don't you?

The opposite-gender character won't appear. Just like in FRLG. There was no opposite-gender character in the old games, and so, they have no involvement in the remakes.

Both May and Dawn actually play important roles in the game even if they aren't the main character.
Both May and Dawn can be replaced in-game by new chicas~ Concept, inorite? Because there's really nothing stopping the overall game director from going, "We need a new girl design," and whaddayano, one of them is suddenly replaced by the extravagent Lollipop.

Not May, but Dawn. *nod* Because she's no pearl.

That would be because it looks like no hat ever made anywhere ever.
May's wearing a bandana. Why is it so impossible to believe Brendan's wearing a headband when she's wearing a piece of cloth? Just because it wouldn't cover his head entirely doesn't rule it out over traditional hats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom