• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

I have the feeling that CoroCoro has already started focusing on Yokai Watch over Pokemon. Which is something I expected beccause CoroCoro's audience is Japanese and Yokai Watch is very popular in Japan.

Side question: Why it was never made an International version of Coro-Coro? It may help us to scouting our entertainment news from Japan.

Expecting Corocoro to have nothing again in June and just the "More Sun and Moon news next month!" It looks like we're going to get more information from Gamefreak considering this is the second month that they have publicly confirmed that they'll release some news on a certain date, this time being June 2nd.

Side question: Why it was never made an International version of Coro-Coro? It may help us to scouting our entertainment news from Japan.
because CoroCoro is less an 'entertainment' magazine and more of a monthly release of certain franchises' mangas, such as Yokai Watch, Pokemon, and Duel Masters, for example.

I'm not really expecting much from CoroCoro at this point. Maybe I'm just too burned out from them delaying their big scoop for another month three times, but I'd be totally fine with leaving the magazine behind. As I said before, TPCI providing the information themselves through social media sounds like a win-win for everyone. They are in control of when the information gets out, potentially reducing the chances of things being leaked out, and fans can get more information even sooner than they could with CoroCoro to make us more excited and eager to buy the game. Everyone's happy.

The CoroCoro leaks were always an interesting time during the pre-release season and a part of me would miss that in a way, but if it means that we don't have to wait for days for leaks to come out or be disappointed when they say that they big scoop is coming next month again despite claiming themselves to be the main source of Pokemon news, I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Seems like thet might want control over reveals themselves since CoroCoro always gets leaked, not really that surprising I imagine they're tired of all their info getting leaked, so it could be they just are choosing not to use CoroCoro to put out game news anymore.

Seems like thet might want control over reveals themselves since CoroCoro always gets leaked, not really that surprising I imagine they're tired of all their info getting leaked, so it could be they just are choosing not to use CoroCoro to put out game news anymore.

Would GameFreak or Nintendo really care about leaks though? the only difference is that we see the information a couple of days earlier. I can see how it might affect CoroCoro, because the leaks might have them potentially lose sales, however I don't think GameFreak or Nintendo would care all that much that we see information just a few days before we usually would.

The fact that these leaks have gone on for years without anything being done makes me think that a few others are correct when they speculated that they want to move on from CoroCoro simply because it will be more accessible for fans worldwide to see official information revealed from themselves. Now that Pokémon titles are starting to be released almost worldwide at the same time, it may have been decided that so too should the information that is given to us.

Well, it's the surprise and the buzz new information creates. The impact is far greater if it's delivered on schedule and not early. That's why Smash 4's reveal of Cloud left a huge impact on the Smash community - it came out of left field, and it was a character that NOBODY except the most diehard of fans expected! If Sun & Moon were not revealed with their logos when the February teaser went live, it would likely have done something similar.

I've always been of the opinion (even though I am guilty of this) that calling Coro Coro "leaks" is not entirely accurate. The information itself is not what's being leaked. That information was provided to the magazine by GameFreak and/or TPCi/Nintendo. They really cannot be mad at the magazine for putting the information out there.

Likewise, I'm not sure it's even the magazine's fault that each month's edition is picked up early. This has long plagued traditional print media (at least in the case of magazines. Day to day publications are different). And we've known for a while now that there are multiple people responsible for each month's early release.

I don't think this is a sign of GameFreak losing faith in Coro Coro. I think they just find it to be a better strategy to release the info themselves through their website and youtube channel.

I don't think this is a sign of GameFreak losing faith in Coro Coro. I think they just find it to be a better strategy to release the info themselves through their website and youtube channel.

How can that really be possible though? If they're releasing the info themselves then no one's paying attention to Coro Coro. Not losing faith in CoroCoro and releasing the info themselves seem to be mutually exclusive.

How can that really be possible though? If they're releasing the info themselves then no one's paying attention to Coro Coro. Not losing faith in CoroCoro and releasing the info themselves seem to be mutually exclusive.
I think I may be misunderstanding something. I don't see why Gamefreak has any investment in caring about Coro Coro. I'm simply suggesting they're, after all of these years, deciding to change tactics. It has nothing to do with coro coro leaks like some are suggesting

I have the theory that this break-up from Corocoro was supposed to happen with XY when the news started to went global, but it was posponed due to the fact that Corocoro helped the franchise to become a lot more popular 20 years ago when they revelated Mew, so GF does owe something to them.

I have the feeling that CoroCoro has already started focusing on Yokai Watch over Pokemon. Which is something I expected beccause CoroCoro's audience is Japanese and Yokai Watch is very popular in Japan.

My thoughts exactly, since the April issue gave us nothing and instead gave the Yo-Kai Watch fandom tons of YKW3 information, all while the Pokemon fandom was forced to wait another month. Though it's massively popular in Japan, Yo-Kai Watch hasn't exactly broken the mold here in the west other than having a small cult following, where the Pokemon fandom continues to reign supreme, since many of Pokemon's sponsors in Japan are phasing Pokemon out in favor of Yo-Kai Watch, such as in 2014 when McDonalds decided to no longer have Pokemon calendars and only have Yo-Kai Watch calendars, among other things. If anything, this has become a real concern for the future of the Pokemon franchise given the tight competition in Japan, so TPCi will have to change their marketing game if the franchise is to survive. It also didn't help that Gen 6 was considered by many to be one of the weaker generations in the franchise, which may have played a part in YKW becoming so successful over in Japan.

In the west however, the Pokemon franchise continues to reign supreme, even if it's not as big as it was back during the first two generations. It also didn't help that the first YKW game's American release was in the exact same month as Super Mystery Dungeon (that and it came out over two years after the original Japanese release), allowing Pokemon to continue holding it's throne among monster-collecting franchises here in the west, though I hear YKW was a lot more successful in Europe since the EU release was delayed a few months after the EU release of PSMD, which gave it a bit more of an advantage.

Expecting Corocoro to have nothing again in June and just the "More Sun and Moon news next month!" It looks like we're going to get more information from Gamefreak considering this is the second month that they have publicly confirmed that they'll release some news on a certain date, this time being June 2nd.

I wouldn't be surprised, since at this point Corocoro may be becoming obsolete for us Pokemon fans, given the existence of the internet allowing for Pokemon news to be delivered to fans worldwide more easily. It also helps that E3 is coming up, which means that a bunch of information will possibly be released before Corocoro leaks next month, along with the news coming next Thursday.

because CoroCoro is less an 'entertainment' magazine and more of a monthly release of certain franchises' mangas, such as Yokai Watch, Pokemon, and Duel Masters, for example.

Yeah, it's mostly a more kid-friendly version of Weekly Shonen Jump with a focus on more merchandise-driven franchises. Here in the US, there was an English edition of Shonen Jump years back (distributed by VIZ Media) which ran monthly and had manga such as the English translations of the (then) "big three" anime franchises like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. Unfortunately, the print version of the magazine was discontinued a few years back and it now it only distributes it's manga through an online subscription service, likely due to increasing competition with anime streaming sites such as Crunchyroll. If anything, it's more of a cultural thing, given how the internet is a lot more prominent in western cultures than it is in Japan, and people don't really have enough time to go out and buy magazines because they can more easily obtain what they need online.

Again, blame the internet for why we're going to have to change our fandom's traditions, which may be the reason why we never get silhouettes anymore (we haven't gotten any since Gen 5) and why Corocoro has been rather stingy as of lately. Times are changing, we have to adapt to the new standards of how things are going to be.

Again, blame the internet for why we're going to have to change our fandom's traditions, which may be the reason why we never get silhouettes anymore (we haven't gotten any since Gen 5) and why Corocoro has been rather stingy as of lately. Times are changing, we have to adapt to the new standards of how things are going to be.

You say "blame" like this change is a bad thing, if anything this is long overdue and how things should be done.

People might not like it at first and end up missing Corocoro images but it'll work out better for everyone in the long run. Game Freak can show their news themselves and when they want to without us already knowing and had it spoilt, we as fans don't have to wait around for days at a time wondering when we're getting news (instead we're getting confirmed dates and times), and we'll get what's revealed in a perfectly clear view without blurred details from fuzzy shots. It also outright kills a lot of opportunity for fakes and the attention seeking "GOTCHA IT WAS ME" from the artists which has honestly started to irritate me lately.

Personally I hope this is going to be the routine forward and not just an exception for these early news batches.

If anything, I'm surprised it took them so long to cut the middle man out and handle announcements themselves. Considering that X/Y were the first worldwide releases for the main series, one would think that they'd handle the announcements themselves for that pre-release season too. Still, if they're ditching CoroCoro in favor of their own announcements, that's perfectly fine with me. That's a much needed upgrade as far as I'm concerned and it would work out better for everyone in the long run. I'd rather look forward to a specific date of TPCI providing new information/trailers than a few days of the month hoping for CoroCoro to leak out with something good.

And I'm honestly glad that we don't have silhouettes anymore too. While those could provide some interesting guesses on the Pokemon's designs, such as with the Unova starters, it also created more of a annoying headache as we were waiting for the designs to officially come out. I'd prefer for them to just give the designs rather than just hide them for another month as a tease.

Actually I believe the main draw of CoroCoro are the monthly manga based on said franchises as well as the various giveaways, such as cards. It's definitely a magazine aimed at the younger crowd...

That being said there's something a bit magical about seeing scans leaked as opposed to Game Freak just posting a YT video. I'm gonna miss it to be honest.

My thoughts exactly, since the April issue gave us nothing and instead gave the Yo-Kai Watch fandom tons of YKW3 information, all while the Pokemon fandom was forced to wait another month. Though it's massively popular in Japan, Yo-Kai Watch hasn't exactly broken the mold here in the west other than having a small cult following, where the Pokemon fandom continues to reign supreme, since many of Pokemon's sponsors in Japan are phasing Pokemon out in favor of Yo-Kai Watch, such as in 2014 when McDonalds decided to no longer have Pokemon calendars and only have Yo-Kai Watch calendars, among other things. If anything, this has become a real concern for the future of the Pokemon franchise given the tight competition in Japan, so TPCi will have to change their marketing game if the franchise is to survive. It also didn't help that Gen 6 was considered by many to be one of the weaker generations in the franchise, which may have played a part in YKW becoming so successful over in Japan.

In the west however, the Pokemon franchise continues to reign supreme, even if it's not as big as it was back during the first two generations. It also didn't help that the first YKW game's American release was in the exact same month as Super Mystery Dungeon (that and it came out over two years after the original Japanese release), allowing Pokemon to continue holding it's throne among monster-collecting franchises here in the west, though I hear YKW was a lot more successful in Europe since the EU release was delayed a few months after the EU release of PSMD, which gave it a bit more of an advantage.

I wouldn't be surprised, since at this point Corocoro may be becoming obsolete for us Pokemon fans, given the existence of the internet allowing for Pokemon news to be delivered to fans worldwide more easily. It also helps that E3 is coming up, which means that a bunch of information will possibly be released before Corocoro leaks next month, along with the news coming next Thursday.

Yeah, it's mostly a more kid-friendly version of Weekly Shonen Jump with a focus on more merchandise-driven franchises. Here in the US, there was an English edition of Shonen Jump years back (distributed by VIZ Media) which ran monthly and had manga such as the English translations of the (then) "big three" anime franchises like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. Unfortunately, the print version of the magazine was discontinued a few years back and it now it only distributes it's manga through an online subscription service, likely due to increasing competition with anime streaming sites such as Crunchyroll. If anything, it's more of a cultural thing, given how the internet is a lot more prominent in western cultures than it is in Japan, and people don't really have enough time to go out and buy magazines because they can more easily obtain what they need online.

I think Corocoro likely didn't give any news that time was because TPC probably didn't want them to. Regarding YW in Japan, it's not that Pokémon is fading away there or it's just that YW was something really new and hip that children liked so folks just pandered to it to cash in on it. Pokémon is still popular there.

Back
Top Bottom