• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

After having looked at the Pokemon more I can't say I dislike them, but I can easily see them being the new whipping boys of Gen 7. Move over, Trubbish.

I can see a lot of complaints towards Mimikkyu for literally being a copy of Pikachu (although IMO I find the lore behind that interesting). Also a lot of jokes about pandering towards nostalgia.

I can see a lot of complaints towards Mimikkyu for literally being a copy of Pikachu (although IMO I find the lore behind that interesting). Also a lot of jokes about pandering towards nostalgia.

Well, at least we get a semi-Pikaclone that doesn't look like Pikachu gained 25 pounds.

While I'm a little horrified that GF was bored enough to create it, I'm hoping the ghost/fairy (yes I'm calling it Pikaboo, I'm not going to try to remember it's proper name) Pikaboo thing has some interesting story behind it. The fact it's Ghost/Fairy and the creepy happy tree friends looking Panda is Normal/Fighting almost suggest they are counterpoints to some degree.

While I'm a little horrified that GF was bored enough to create it, I'm hoping the ghost/fairy (yes I'm calling it Pikaboo, I'm not going to try to remember it's proper name) Pikaboo thing has some interesting story behind it. The fact it's Ghost/Fairy and the creepy happy tree friends looking Panda is Normal/Fighting almost suggest they are counterpoints to some degree.
It does feel like that doesn't it. Like last month Rockruff and Komala are like the counterpoint of each other.

I can see the route its found on having Hugbear signs warning of the fuzzy terror. It looks so damn cute in that pic of it hugging a log and it breaking. A dumb bruiser who just wants to hug, I dunno how people can hate it.

Its THE meta Pokemon, no denying it.

Edit: Wait does Mimichu canonically place Gen 1 origins 20 years before SM, or at least serious imply that? In this case...
ORAS/Gen 1
3 Years
DPt/HGSS
???
BW
2 YEARS
BW/XY
???
SM

Between gen 4 to BW can't be more them 7 years because of Caitlin, so we could be lookong at a solid 8-10 years after XY. Damn.
In universe Pikachu has existed for more then 20 years and likely has had dolls and crap in its likeness in universe since they figured out how to make merchandise and knew of Pikachu existence so no

Wow, those are...interesting. At first glance I disliked both but after looking at their artwork and reading their descriptions they've grown on me already!

While Pikaboo (pls let this be its name) isn't the most appealing Pokemon design-wise the concept behind it is freaking genious! First of all it's a great in-game nod to the 20th anniversary. The design is both terrifying and cute which is a perfect combination for a Fairy/Ghost Pokemon. And of course its desire to be loved like Pikachu makes it even more likeable.

Carebear Hugbear accidentally killing people because it wants to hug them is almost heartbreaking. Design-wise it's almost too plain and I don't really care for it, so I'm hoping for an even bigger and more badass looking evolution.

Well, at least we get a semi-Pikaclone that doesn't look like Pikachu gained 25 pounds.

It does have an interesting story behind it. It wears a costume to hide itself from the sun and chose to design its costume after Pikachu merchandise from 20 years ago because it wants to be loved like Pikachu.

Obviously the "20 years ago" is in reference to the franchise's age and not when RBY takes place.

Theory:
Mimikkyu (mimic you?) is born from the collective hatred we all felt towards pika-clones who only ever wanted to be loved.

In all seriousness, Mimikkyu's design seems to draw heavily from the same thing that Shuppet/Banette were based off of, and I like it.

It does have an interesting story behind it. It wears a costume to hide itself from the sun and chose to design its costume after Pikachu merchandise from 20 years ago because it wants to be loved like Pikachu.

Yeah I read that part, but that just sounds like a Pokedex entry. I'm hoping there is more lore/myth behind it. And honestly, that "story" sounds like sotfcore erotica versus actual game related information lol.

Obviously the "20 years ago" is in reference to the franchise's age and not when RBY takes place.

Theory:
Mimikkyu (mimic you?) is born from the collective hatred we all felt towards pika-clones who only ever wanted to be loved.

In all seriousness, Mimikkyu's design seems to draw heavily from the same thing that Shuppet/Banette were based off of, and I like it.
Not like people randomly hate the Pikaclones. They are just kid appealing filler Pokemon. Though a few are quite useful (Seijun Park proved it).

I hate Mimikkyu. The face looks like a nine year old drew it or they ran out of time making it so the scribbled on a face really fast. I don't care if its supposed to be like that. It's seriously awful.

I'm neutral on Kiteruguma as of now. Don't like the design all that much but it has room to grown on me and the typing is really cool.

These are certainly interesting new Pokemon. Kiteruguma has a nice type combination and the information behind it makes it sound really strong, but the design feels a bit lacking to me. It looks a bit too plain for my tastes. It's not bad per say, but just doesn't stand out too much. After some time and some more fanart, it will probably grow on me some more. If it is supposed to be based on a Red Panda, then I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't make a Fire type based Red Panda instead.

Mimikkyu definitely has a cool type combination and some really interesting lore behind it. Dressing up in an old Pikachu rag in order to be loved is both meta and heartbreaking. I kind of hope that we see it evolve to where it doesn't need to where a sheet like that to feel love, but it does sound like a one stage Pokemon. I'm not sure if it would end up on my team, but I do like it and I want to like it even more after reading that bit of information.

161b4ec2d5628535fed7302a98ef76c6a7ef6355.jpg

Chinese fan drawing for more costumes of Pikaboo.

Not like people randomly hate the Pikaclones. They are just kid appealing filler Pokemon. Though a few are quite useful (Seijun Park proved it).
Its not random hatred when a good portion of the fandom hates them each and every time....

....and going against the grain here--I honestly hope its not named Pikaboo. I want its ability "disguise" to be something that allows it to change its costume to other popular Pokemon. It's current name, Mimikkyu is already pretty good since its a play on "mimic you" which is exactly what it does.

I actually like this take on Pikaclones, it's so meta and a unique instead of just slapping a yellow/orange color scheme, round cheeks, and an Electric typing on a random rodent.

I looked at Baidu forum (a Chinese website) and got a bit more info for the two Pokemon. So each of Hugbear arm has the strength of 1 ton. Rockruff (being the commentator) says that it has the title of the "king of fighter" of the jungle, it's very powerful.
Rockruff comment for Pikaboo is that you can kind of make out its shape from the doodled eyes and mouth on the Pikachu costume.

Last edited:
Mimikkyu's costume is based on Pikachu merch that was popular 20 years ago. It wants to be loved by people like Pikachu is

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-12_11-35-53.png
    upload_2016-7-12_11-35-53.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom