• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could Gen VI bring older fans back into the series?

MetroLSD

Where Are My Donuts?
Reaction score
Since Pokemon is going full 3D now do you think this major change will be enough to bring older fans who think Pokemon has gone dry and genwunners back to the series?

I think 3D might broaden interest in older fans. I know I got more excited about Pokemon than I have in a long time due to this and Ive been with the franchise for about 14 years. Id say if it has a lot of cool features from the 3DS and a plotline of the BW quality older fans will probably enjoy the games a lot, but then, any Pokemon game can be enjoyed by older fans, I think its up the the person, Ive been satisfied with the games up until now, but Gen 6 could take them to a new level.

I think it could. The dynamic battles, the full 3D, and it appears that gen 1 Pokemon are avalible in the wild during the game (pre E4)
So why not.

It's possible, but I don't think it will be a significant demographic. I think most people who gave up Pokemon that long ago aren't really paying much attention to the new Pokemon games.

They were certainly trying to bring back the older fans when they did that video last week.

I think 3D might broaden interest in older fans.
I definitely agree, I think the apparent aesthetic change from semi-3D to complete 3D will broaden interest in the game immensely. The Pokemon designs are excellent enough thus far to at least garner some approval from more open-minded people, in addition to the return of Pokemon form proir generations like The Togekiss said.

I am a fan from 1998 and I never left :p

Anyways, sure why not.

It's possible, but considering how many seem to have a bias against the newer Pokemon, I don't think there would be a huge amount.

Not only that, but it will probably draw in newer fans as well. I know that with the new Gen coming out, the kids in my family have suddenly discovered interest in the franchise.

Force Genwunners to accept anything outside of the first 151?

tumblr_m0qr5sbi0t1qgcra2o1_500.gif

genwunners are too stubborn. they'd probably complain about the 3DS being too expensive as well.

I honestly think remakes are more likely to do that than a new generation would... I remember when HG/SS came out, many of my friends who weren't avid players of the games were psyched out about those games because of nostalgia. I don't see those same friends talking about how awesome B/W are. Of course, that's just my experience, but I don't think many of the older fans will really be all that interested. To them, Pokemon isn't as "cool" anymore or whatever.

Redesging the Portagonists and ill become even more excited. Being Pokeservative, i feel that gen 6 will bring some older fans abck to the table. the 3d graphics alone were enough to get me excited and the 3d gameplay. the battle graphics were very neat which will attact more people such as my self. Not too much for the more Nostalgic fans than me but i feel this will bring some older fans back

I bet it will bring some. People who already have or want a 3DS might try it.

What will help is more hype. Gen V brought me back into the franchise because of its promise of a fresh restart and better story, but the extra hype didn't hurt!

genwunners are too stubborn. they'd probably complain about the 3DS being too expensive as well.

I take offense to that because I'm a genwunner, but I'm definitely going to pay the $200 for a 3DS and the $40 for the game even though it can pay my car and phone bill. I have friends that are going to do the same this coming October.

I'm afraid the next generation will not bring back fans who quit Pokemon after generation-one ended. Most folks at my job don't seem to care about any of the other generations, so I don't think Pokemon X and Y will change their minds, no matter how awesome the games are.

There's always a chance, but if I were GameFreak I wouldn't depend upon it. I think the graphical revamp will draw attention but nothing more than any past generations.

I once had a friend who went on that he would have liked to see a main series Pokemon game on a console rather than a handheld, because it would broaden the possibilities, while also making 3D graphics possible. I did not agree however, because Pokemon is better suited to being on a handheld platformer just as it always has been. But Nintendo has now proven that they can do quality 3D graphics on a handheld with their 3DS, and do not necessarily need a console to make that possible. So I can see how XY can appeal to the fans who have long wanted a main series Pokemon game in 3D.

But whether it specifically appeals to older fans as a whole, that is difficult to say, for every fan is different. I myself am an older fan, I've been with the franchise since the Generation I days, but I myself kind of don't really care greatly about the 3D approach. But is it neat in its own way. Although I am a little concerned how the new camera view will affect some maps, I'm kind of used to having a drop-down camera view when walking in routes, and the current screenshots doesn't make that very assuring. I'm also wondering how the 3D battles will affect certain options in-game, like the option of turning off attack animations which I often do when I'm in a hurry or in the middle of grinding. But these are just minor things, and I trust GF to figure out how to make these new changes work in the best way possible.

I take offense to that because I'm a genwunner, but I'm definitely going to pay the $200 for a 3DS and the $40 for the game even though it can pay my car and phone bill. I have friends that are going to do the same this coming October.

You seem to lose the feeling of what a Genwunner is. A Genwunner is a person who absolutely accepts nothing but the original 151, therefore you are not a genwunner

I asked a friend of mine, a stubborn Genwunner, what he thought of the upcoming XY and if he would give it a chance. He said while Xerneas DOES look kinda cool, he called Yvetal a Lugia clone. He also said "no". ono Sadly, many other Genwunners might have similar opinions. They can't admit how much better the games have become, and prefer the days when it was a fad because it was "okay" to like Pokemon then. At least that's what my friend thinks.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom