• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cresselia Is Driving Me Up The Wall...Any Tips On Obtaining It?

Sophie Elizabeth Ann

is lost in time...
Reaction score
I've been chasing it for 4 hours (not in a row though, I had breaks).

I've used dusk balls (when it was night, and it shakes once when I use one and then comes back out)

I've used ultra balls (generally, and it doesn't shake at all before it comes back out)

I've managed to lower its HP and there's about half a milimetre of it left

I've paralysed it (using an electric attack which I can't remember the name of)

At one point I even managed to confuse it too, and that didn't do anything to help me.

And basically, I just cannot get it.
Seriously, peeps, any hints/tips/general help?
I have a Gastly with Mean Look, which I've tried using, but it's low in Level so Cresselia just obliviates it right after i've used the move, and then because that Gastly is out of the battle, Mean Look is no longer in effect and Cresselia runs off again.

Help???

Have you tried putting it to sleep after mean look

Hm...no...I don't think I have a Pokemon fast enough, it'll run before my Pokemon attacks like Meespirit did... =/ but thanks for the suggestion...although...know where there's a Pokemon that has the ability to put Pokemon to sleep that is faster than Cresselia...?

I'm quoting from these Pokedex entries:

http://pokemon.supercheats.com/pokemon.php?id=35

&

http://pokemon.supercheats.com/pokemon.php?id=488

If you've taken down its HP to just a milimeter left I'd advise against confusion, since it might kill it. I recall that the HP you gnawed off stays every time you encounter it again, at least it was that way for Mesprit.

You're probably best off right now levelling up the Gastly you mentioned earlier so that it doesn't die when facing Cresselia, go after it at night and keep chucking those dusk balls.

or you could teaching castly a combo of moves to make it sleep with hipnosis and damge with dream eater after you use mean look but i think its simmeler to sleffie's idea

Last edited:
Well, I paralyzed it via stun spore, then I Caught a Golbat from Spring Path and raised it to a lvl 60 Crobat with Mean Look. It may be a little overkill, but it works heaps. Just look out for that hp and you'll be fine.

Oh, and when when you've used your Dusk and Ultra Balls, go to Timer Balls. They should be a bit more effective than the two considering all those used up turns.

@Wendigo: Not really.. By the end of a certain amount of turns, Timer Balls are 4x more effective. Dusk Balls are always 4x Effective at Night or in Caves.

My suggestion is to go onto GTS, and find a Pokemon with a Masterball. Or just find a pokemon with that sleep move, and you should get it.

It runs even if it is asleep

I don't know if that is a new thing in D/P. I suggest using Mean Look then Baton Pass (I know for sure that Umbreon can do that), or start with Wobuffet then switch. Sleep should be used after that. If you are fortunate enough to have a Japanese Darkrai, use Dark Void. Fast, Spore-using Pokémon are good as well. Dusk Balls, Repeat Balls (if you traded for Pokédex data), Dive Balls (if you're Surfing), and some others as well. The running Pokémon change position each time you go to a new area (when the pop-up "thingy" comes into view). I also suggest using the Marking Map Pokétch App to track movements.

I really like Wobbufetts for this job, because they can take that many hits. Try leveling one up, and then chucking Dusk and Timer Balls at it while Wobbu takes the damage like a pro. Also, try quick balls on the first few turns, because they are really effective the first 5 turns.

I threw a Master Ball.

It's lame, but what else would you use it on? The other legendaries don't run away, except for Mesprit, who is easier to catch than Cresselia.

I really like Wobbufetts for this job, because they can take that many hits. Try leveling one up, and then chucking Dusk and Timer Balls at it while Wobbu takes the damage like a pro. Also, try quick balls on the first few turns, because they are really effective the first 5 turns.

I agree with you on Wobbufett. Even one around its mid-30's can take a few hits. But having a few (or a lot) of potions will probably be needed. And if you have those and enough balls, the only thing you'll have to worry about is Cresselia killing itself with struggle.

I caught cressilia with a random ultra ball lol I was lucky. After that I decided to raise a Golbat until it learned mean look, but it evolved so I had a crobat, so I used a Crobat to fight Merpirit. Even though I would just have my scizor use false swipe on it and then let it run away until it was 1 hp then really chase it down. It has an increddibly easy ctch rate though because I caught it with 1 ultra ball.

Just do what i did:

Stand between 2 routes right next to each other and keep running from each one and check if shes in the route then just go into the grass with a pokemon that can meanlook and then put her to sleep.

Or your could just throw balls at her like i did lol but i did the 1st one for both of them (Cresselia and Mesprit)

Wobuffet or dugtrio are great for the job. Both trap opposing pokemon, but dugtrio gets night slash

Just your master ball if you haven't already. Find some friends, trade master balls...or play through an older pokemon game (I have a ton by that method)
But if you don't wanna master ball it, just find (or raise) a pokemon with mean look or something until it's on a much higher level than Cresselia.

I have the same problem with Girtania. I know I can use the master ball, but it's so much more satisfying to spend loads of time trying to widdle down it's HP and keep it in the damn poke/great/ultraball

I put it asleep it ran away then... when i encountered it again i hit it again till it was yellow then threw a dusk ball so it was like 3 encounters!!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom