• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dead Pokemon

I dont think Ghost Pokemon are Ghosts but are ghost like. e.g. they hang around places of death or even get their energy from death. Since they are so ghost-like they were given the status of Ghost type. Remember, Ghosts can lay eggs and hatch from eggs.

Other factors that could make them considered real ghosts are:
-Their ability to go through walls
-Nocternal behavier
-Their imortality

Ghost pokémon and Pokémon ghosts are two completely different things.

Ghost types are mysterious beings that have gas-based translucant bodies instead of solid ones like most Pokémon. They simply exist on a different plane of existance then solid Pokémon.

Instead of feeding on solid matter like most Pokémon, they instead feed on things that have no tangable form. Emotions, dreams, ideas, things invented by minds are what give Ghost Pokémon their sustenance. They may even get energy from other lifeform's body heat.

Misdreavus feed on fear, Shuppet feed on anger and malice, Ghastly feed on life force and Many Pokémon can learn Dream Eater.

As for imortality... I doubt this. It's possible that even ghost types are prone to biting the dust persay. Without the right sustenance, the molecular makeup of most Ghost Pokémon may weaken to the point where it dissapates and the Pokémon fades out of existance.

As to where new ghost Pokémon come from. I find the idea that they come from the dead species of other ghost Pokémon kinda silly. They breed in much the same way corporeal pokémon breed.

As for imortality... I doubt this. It's possible that even ghost types are prone to biting the dust persay. Without the right sustenance, the molecular makeup of most Ghost Pokémon may weaken to the point where it dissapates and the Pokémon fades out of existance.

Well atualy, I remember in the anime a Gengar and Haunter had been residing in a house where some person lived for 100s of years for some reason (something to do with protecting an island)

I doubt they will be biting the dust soon. Maybe they arent imortal but semi-imortal(?).

Can something be semi-imortal? But I don't reallt think ghost pokemon are dead Pokemon. Pokemon ghosts are, as somebody previously stated. I am wondering if a posibility is that ghost pokemon aren't any different from normal Pokemon, because they exist only in an imaginary plane of existance, and somehow come to Earth...

Can something be semi-imortal? But I don't reallt think ghost pokemon are dead Pokemon. Pokemon ghosts are, as somebody previously stated. I am wondering if a posibility is that ghost pokemon aren't any different from normal Pokemon, because they exist only in an imaginary plane of existance, and somehow come to Earth...

They would be semi-immortal in that they can't be killed by ordinary physical means (bodliy trauma), however, they have their own weaknesses.

They're vunerable to getting attacked by attacks that use shadows (Shadow Ball and Shadow Claw being good examples.) Or they can be attacked by the maliciousness of Dark type attack, like being torn up in ferocious jaws (Crunch) or getting subdued by dark auras (Dark Pulse).

Since they are creatures who survive and can manipulate energies and intangable feelings, they can also be affected by them if they are used in an attack.

They can also be rendered corporeal temporarly when an attack such as Foresight is used.

It may be possible that belief in a ghost may play a vital role in it's existence. It's possible for a ghost to die if it's existence is completely forgotten about. All it needs to survive are other's memories of it's existence (Kinda like Freddy Kruger.)

I don't think of pokemon as animals at all, in fact there must be normal animals in the pokemon world, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have humans or plants not classified as pokemon...

Pokemon are more like Yokai (in fact many of them are inspired from them, hello Ninetales)

I can agree with you on relating Pokemon to youkai. In fact, youkai mythology seems to have started Japan's apparent monster-collecting craze in the first place.

Ghost Pokémon = Pokémon with ghost like attributes (intangibility, floating etc)

Pokémon ghosts = The spirit of a departed Pokémon.

thats my opinion. Makes sense to me.

Is it just me, or doesn't anyone else remember when Ash and Pickachu died?
Pickachu didn't become a ghost pokemon. It was a ghost pickachu and seemed to be invisable to the living, along with Ash.

If I recall, they didn't die, and Haunter merely spirited them away to have some fun.

And I also recall the Ghost Marowak in the Lavendar Tower. Once you got a Silph Scope it became pretty clear it was a Marowak.

It's not like my theory said that all dead Pokemon turned to ghosts. I think my theory was that their spirits eventually develop into ghost Pokemon over time, and was not instantaneous after death.

Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar: Spirits of those who were mischevous in life, and died due to their mischivous ways. Unable to let go of their life, the human or Pokemon spirits go around pulling pranks, until eventually they become this Pokemon.

You know, it's still perfectly plausible that their spirits over time develop into Ghost Pokemon because they weren't able to pass on, and turning into ghost Pokemon is a way of them settling what they need to do. I see it as not dying, but a second life.

That's just how I see the original ghos POkemon came to be, and since they were once again among the living, they were able to procreate, creating a new species of Pokemon.

I sgree with you "L" THis feels like the 12th time I've said it on this forum, as you seem to be everywhere. But I do like your Idea with how GHastly were created. Maybe Shuppet(or whichever feeds on spite) is the same consept with spite replacing mischeviousness.

If I recall, they didn't die, and Haunter merely spirited them away to have some fun.

or a better explanation could be that the franchise has seriously retconned itself ever since then. I mean, this was way back in the days of Red/Green/Blue/Yellow, and pretty early on in the anime at that. The idea of giving Pocket Monsters a western release was unheard of, Togepi was nowhere near being revealed, hell, the Porygon incident and the show's subsequent hiatus didn't even occur yet. Anyway, a lot of things have changed since the first generation, the most notable of which being the fact that Pokemon weren't able to breed yet. With this in mind, several of the Pokemon's designs in the first generation didn't seem very, er.... "natural", you could say. I mean, in the sense that they had accessories (Karakara, Garagara, Kamonegi), what appear to be articles of clothing (Ebiwaler, Gourikii, Rougela), a single Pokemon apparently being defined by multiple organisms (Tamatama, Garuura), and a whole bunch of other crap you wouldn't expect when these things are born (or rather hatched)... though, there actually were some Pokemon you wouldn't expect to be a natural living organism (Coil and Biriridama, for instance). Such designs have gotten a lot less prominent in later generations (though, there are some exceptions, like Banebuu's pearl).

While not too much, they seemed more akin to the monsters you'd expect to find in other RPGs... you know the kind, fully-equipped lizardmen and the like just randomly wandering through some forest. Since you don't know, nor should you really care, about the origins of these monsters, you don't really ask how these creatures came to be, let alone how they obtain that sword or armor, probably coming under the assumption that they apparently have some base of operations or something to that affect. It's not like you're gonna be raising them, breeding them, and worry about where you're supposed to find more swords for their children to equip themselves with. Same thing here, really. You find a Pokemon in the wild, you catch it, and in those days, that was pretty much it. How it came to take on its appearance before you encounter it had little relevance. All that said, the idea of the ghost-types (of which there was but a single evolution line at the time) being actual ghosts wouldn't be hard to see, that is before the idea of Pokemon breeding ever came up. Since generation 2, I honestly think a lot of these Pokemon really have been retconned to seem like simple living creatures instead of robots (Coil) or spirits (the ghost-types).

Last edited:
I don't think that Ghost-types are former Pokemon, but I guess I have to believe that Pokemon die because of the graveyard-buildings in the games. I try not to think about it though!

L, that's an interesting theory, dead Pokemon "ripening" into Ghost-Types. I actually almost prefer it to my own theory!

My theory is that Pokemon DO die, but do not turn into ghosts. And ghosts are living pokemon, and die aswell.

I was thinking about Shedinja, before I evolved Nincada, I thought it evolved like Wurmple, only becomeing one pokemon, luckily I tried evolving my first Nincada into a Shedinja, was disapointed when I saw Ninjask, even though now I know that Ninjask is the stronger one, it is for sure Shedinja is the harder to get, then I noticed that you get Shedinja if you do it correctly as both of them were on my team, iot only shows it evolving to Ninjask though.

Anyway, on topic, I had a theory about Shedinja as a ghost type. Not sure if this has been posted before. In the real world, there are types of insects that lay their eggs inside another insect, the larva inside, is a parasite that eats away the inside of the host insect, eventually it dies, and the parasite insect the host in it's adult form, I think its like a type of fly. My theory is that a Ninjask lays it's egg in a Nincada, if the Nincada is allready in a pokeball, the Ninjask larvae must also be in there, as it kills the Nincada when leaving, it becomes the only one in the Pokeball. The Shedinja, on the other hand, is the Nincada that died, but because the ninjask has taken it's place in the party, it can only join the party if there is room for it.
Not sure how that theory sounds, basically, Ninjask starts as a larvae parasite, it kills Nincada and hatches to the adult form of Ninjask, Shedinga is the ghost of the Nincada.

At least it's a theroy that makes sense. My sister tried to pass of that Shedinja is attracted by newly evolved Ninjask. X.x That being said, that can't work because for one thing, it's stupid, and second, Shedinja has no gender, ergo, it can't be "attracted" by that Ninjask. She still doesn't get it, though.

The people in the Pokemon world are goofy. They can't see an evil syndicate right under their noses, most have NO idea where babies come from, and allow ten-year-old children to leave home indefiantly on epic and dangerous quests. The believe all the lies that Rocket and Galactic feed them, so why shouldn't they think that Ghost-types are real ghosts? Humans believed manatees were mermaids after all, and we are an easily scared species. The Ghost-types are simply creatures made of a very fine gas, allowing fro their ability to go through walls and such by slipping through microscopic holes. The use drug-ish gases to create illusions to fool the brain, and Normal and Fighting types are too physically based to affect their gassy bodies. Only the witchcraft within Dark attacks and their own violent chemicals can truly hurt them.

Dead Pokemon, Pokemon ghosts, are formed just like human ghosts, from leftover energy. Obviously, some Ghost-types are partly dead, as they can perform possessions, but that's more of a drug-trick too. Dead Pokemon do NOT become Ghost-types, with the exception of Shedinja, which is the only true ghost of the Ghost-types.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom