• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did Team Rocket ruin the anime?

Toushiro

Arm boy
Reaction score
I pose this question because as an older Pokemon fan who still plays the games, I can't stand the anime. The general idea of Pokemon is strong, but eventually I just got fed up with Team Rocket, every time Ash is about to catch an awesome new Pokemon or get a new gym badge, those freaking retards show up to muddle the plot. Anyone else share my opinion?

Well yes, Team Rocket does get redundant at times. But more often than not, they serve as the most engaging factor in a Pokemon episode (especially during the Johto League). Without them around, episodes like Imitation Confrontation and As Clear as Crystal would barely be worth watching at all. Incompetent as they may be, Team Rocket is enjoyable to watch.

They help the anime far more than they hurt it.

Yes, they can get awfully redundant and stale at times. However when they're handled well, they're comedic gold and they help provide conflict in episodes.

Its gotten to the point where I can't imagine the anime without them. Well, I could, but only if the writers ditch the whole Gym concept and actually revamp the show as a plot-centric anime series. But since that will never happen, TR are welcome to stay until it ends.

Team Rocket are, hands down, the best thing about the anime.

Absolutely hilarious more often than not. The anime would be extremely shitty without them.

They have an EXPLODING VENUS FLYTRAP!

That makes the show better.

Team Rocket-themed episodes are easily among the best in the series. No question.

Oh god, this is like the weekly "Team Rocket stinks" topic in Serebii's anime forum.

Honestly. If Team Rocket weren't there, I just wouldn't watch the show, period.

Team Rocket didn't ruin the show, Brock did *runs and hides from Pie* ^^;;;

But seriously, Team Rocket has it's ups and downs, but I think they benefit the show more than they hurt it, like Scott said. There are so many awesome episodes that involve them, and it would be really hard to imagine the show without them. The only times that I feel like they are a real hindrance to the plot is when they end up interrupting something important, like a gym battle or league events (but the writers have improved a lot when it comes to that.) It is sad that the writers havn't really been suscessful with adapting the other video game teams into engaging story arcs, or that they really didn't make much use of the greater TR organization, but I don't really think it's the fault of Jessie, James and Meowth. There's plenty of room for both TR and other Team subplots, especially since those other teams would only be invovled in a hand full of episodes per saga; the writers just can't seem to write serious villian plots well.

Team Rocket didn't ruin the show, Brock did *runs and hides from Pie* ^^;;;

>:O

If anyone ever ruined the anime (which is debatable), it's the writers. Leave clearly awesome characters out of it - including Brock and Team Rocket.

I wasn't being serious with the comment ^^. And I agree about the writers. They've gotten better in some areas, but have still made some pretty strange and dissapointing plot decisions over the years.

The R-team has it's moments, but it get's annoying every time they try to steal Pikachu. I mean, with all the money and resources they have spent, why don't they go after some different, more powerful Pokemon. I mean, would Giovanni even care if he got a Pikachu, who could be caught easily in Viridian Forest?

Considering this Pikachu has took down a Regice, I'm sure it's worthwhile now.

The R-team has it's moments, but it get's annoying every time they try to steal Pikachu. I mean, with all the money and resources they have spent, why don't they go after some different, more powerful Pokemon. I mean, would Giovanni even care if he got a Pikachu, who could be caught easily in Viridian Forest?

Well, it's not like anyone in the Pokemon world has any sort of common sense. In fact, the last place you'd want to look in if you wanted to find common sense is the TRio. Jessie is absolutely mental and I'm seriously thinking she needs to check if their insurance covers meds (I've yet to figure out what the hell is her problem, but I will with some help), Meowth is, more often than not, completely delusional (years of feeling rejected by Giovanni probably screwed his brain up), and James, who's the only one left in the team with a shred of common sense and his sanity intact, is very unassertive and easy to sway.

They've been more focused on capturing the Pokemon of the Day lately, with Pikachu serving as a lovely bonus. And by now, Pikachu really is worth the trouble, seeing how he's more of a certified Stukachu. In any case, they're not going to give up on Pikachu because they're all too damn stubborn.

They will never give up trying to reach their dream. In Ash, that is seen as a positive character trait.

I actually find that they help the pacing of Gym Battles these days. Since they never affect the battle, it makes a nice break from all the battling to check up on them for a minute.

Three words for you:

DUES AND DON'TS.

Yeah, stupid to go by one filler episode, but that's every reason why they DON'T ruin the anime.

like has already been said team rocket are one of the best reasons to watch the anime
they are some of the best characters in the anime

I'm with a lot of people: they make the show as good as it can be.

Personally, it's the main reason why I watch it anymore.

And I can't recall an episode I really enjoyed that wasn't TR-centric, and that's from someone who is as much of a fan of Ash, Brock and Misty (oldskoolzlol) as she is a fan of Team Rocket. It's just...they make the show far more amusing more often than any of the 'heroes' to me, and apparently a good chunk of other people. That and they're more interesting as characters, having had their pasts more fleshed out than any other characters in the show (I think the most we know of is Brock's?).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom