• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you train special pokemon for diffrent gym fights?

rixrix

DON'T TOUCH MY TAIL!!
Reaction score
I'm not planning on doing anything special to get my legend badge in Black... But I feel as if it's going to be crazy difficult as I don't have any steel or ice type pokemon in my normal party... eek!

How do you guys handle challenges like these? :)

For every gym, I just trained a Scrafty with Moxie. And then:
High Jump Kick.
High Jump Kick.
High Jump Kick.

Pft, I used the same ones all the way, even if it was hopeless. I'm devoted to my Pokemon :D

As far as training specific Pokemon per gym, I stuck with my team, but greatly beefed up a certain one within my own team if I knew it had a good move coming up even if krookodile's best dragon move is Outrage and is 20lvs away (;-;)

Not always, however whenever I play RSE I put a sableye and electrike in the daycare. They're usually the perfect level when I got to the flying and psychic gyms, and I don't have to train them.

I also always be sure to obtain a Dratini in GSC or HGSS, so that probably counts.

For the most part I kept my team and tried to teach a move to use for that specific gym, but sometimes I trained a new Pokemon, preferably one that could be caught in the wild already in relatively high levels so I wouldn't spend a lot of time training it just for the gym battle.

But for Elite Four, my 'main' team members stayed. The moves they had were fine enough for the challenge.

I tend to train my all of Pokemon at the same time so their levels are around the same as one another, however, in preparation to an upcoming Gym Battle, I do sometimes train a specific Pokemon (the type advantage usually/or the most formidable opponent) more than the rest of my team.

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who is loyal to their pokemon team >_<

Nope, always just used my team to the best of my ability. They always got me through.

I usually just have a set group of about 10 pokemon, and then just change them and train them as needed. Usually I have enough types on hand to easily beat the gym.

Not really. I stick to my own team firmly, and if I'm at a disadvantage, I just try and level up my pokes more before challenging again.

However, when I first played Gen III, I HAD to catch some pokes just for the gym battles, purely. My team was severly underleveled everytime I faced a gym, so...

Against Brawly - I went and caught a Sabyele.

Against Wattson - I went and caught a Geodude.

Against Tate & Liza - I went and caught an Absol.

Naw, not really. Fuck you Brycen, my Serperior and Golurk are awesome.

It varies for me, if I know I have a move set with moves that are strong against the gym's type then I tend to stick with what I have on hand already. However I am not opposed to catching something purely for that gym to balence out the team I have in terms of training I tend to use the trainers in the gym itself leading up to the gym leader then go out into the grass to train. Although from those friends I have who do like pokemon I find I enjoy raising and leveling them up more then most so maybe it depends how tedious you find training which influences your choices?

In case of going for the legend badge in BW if I had no pokemon who were at a type advantage I'd simply look up wether they could learn a type effective move by leveling or through a TM and just teach it to them, however if i came across a pokemon with a type advantage during leveling up for a new move I'd be very likely to try and catch it.

I train a group of pokemon and switch them out as needed. But, the entier time I am planning my Eliet 4 team.

I've only done it a few times, and I don't like it. I like to stick with my main team, through thick and thin.

they are all too easy. There are very few examples of when I had to swap Pokemon in order to win. Especially in DP & BW

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom