• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Different Patterned Custom Sprites

Agreed with FB. This is not necessary, and even detracts from the wiki since screenshots are easier, clearer, and FIRST-HAND images of the intended Pokemon. We don't need fan-art when we can get the original images.

Agreed with FB. This is not necessary, and even detracts from the wiki since screenshots are easier, clearer, and FIRST-HAND images of the intended Pokemon. We don't need fan-art when we can get the original images.

You are missing the point of why we have the sprites Zeta. Every anime character (except the Winstrates at this point) have party tables using Generation IV sprites, and we modify the sprites to still make it consistent with other sprites. Screenshots would not work whatsoever, they'd be too messy. Also, you'd be messing with Bulbapedia norms

You are missing the point of why we have the sprites Zeta. Every anime character (except the Winstrates at this point) have party tables using Generation IV sprites, and we modify the sprites to still make it consistent with other sprites. Screenshots would not work whatsoever, they'd be too messy. Also, you'd be messing with Bulbapedia norms

I wouldn't say there's a "point" to this beyond helping a few custom spriters feel good about themselves. But anyway. You're correct about the sprites you use IN THE MAINSPACE, but when you say you're going to use one just on the project pages, as you've said about most to all of the sprites we've talked about on this thread, there's no point to uploading it.

Sprites do not have to 100% match the Pokemon they are supposed to represent. They're just there to give an easy way to identify Pokemon at a glance. For further details, that's what the damn anime screenshots are for on the individual Pokemon pages. If it's some minor-ass Pokemon like "Professor Ivy's Vileplume that was on screen for 20 seconds", if they don't deserve their own page, they don't deserve their own sprite and the difference should be noted in the main species article along with a screenshot from the anime. We don't need people making sprites for "Ash's Gliscor because it has to hav it's tongue sticking out or you're being messy! ;_;"

We don't need a custom sprite for "Pikachu with fiddly nose that appeared in Episode 393 for four seconds". It's redundant, and a waste of space. It's a fan-project - keep it off the wiki.

Also, whether you like it or not, the 'Pedia does not use fan-art for anything unless there's no other alternative. And in this case, there are - SCREENSHOTS. This is not "My Spritepedia" or "8-Bit Pokemon Theater" or "I want to make a custom sprite for every single Pokemon and human in the series and I'm going to host all of my fanart on Bulbapedia!". Take it somewhere else.

On pages for characters who appear in anime and the games, we have both the Sugimori art and the anime art. If a character doesn't appear in the anime, we do not put up anime-style fan-art of "What this character would look like in the anime!" Thus, we have no reason to put up fan-art of "What this character would look like in the games!" That goes for Pokemon too.

Last edited:
This is exactly the reason why I had very little support for the custom sprite project in the first place. The very concept is hardly encyclopedic (seriously what is the point? The sprites serve no informative purpose) and eventually there would be a custom sprite for everything. With users believing fansprites take priority over first party images in an article.

I have never had a problem with the idea in itself. It's just a neat little extra. We do use sprites to represent the individual Pokemon anyway - It's not any more informative than a basic list, it just adds to the appearance. So adding a twig to Ash's Treecko or the heart to May's Bulbasaur just shows their character design more than the standard Gen IV sprite would.

But this project really needs to reigned in.

Gah...I really did miss alot. Okay. First of all, I would have to agree with F-V about not creating sprites that don't have a page for them. If you are to create those sprites, you may not upload them onto the Archives. They can be uploaded to you Photobucket or Imageshack album first until it might be needed in the future. These sprites help show the characteristics of each individual Pokémon. But since we only put the sprites on the Trainer's page, there isn't much of a reason to create the Alakazam, Gengar, and Jigglypuff. But if you would like to create them, you could always upload them to Photobucket or Imageshack first.

NO!!! It was NOT permanent...dude, I explained it to you countless of times.

BUT... the one place in the mainspace it would go was Vicious's page, when it had the design. Thus, I say it should be reconsidered deeply

Vicious wanted it to be, and Celebi had the dark circled-eyes in the duration of its capture and ownership under Vicious

Last edited:
I'm the one who helped him begin the project, and I'm the one who had many of the ideas, so if he loses the idea generator, the project becomes braindead

See my email. Anyway, what about Mewtwo's Messenger Dragonite?? Would that work? What about Armored Mewtwo?

Where to put these sprites:

Messenger Dragonite: Mewtwo (anime)#Used
Armored Mewtwo: Giovanni#Escaped

Last edited:
You can add the Orange Island pokemon sprite in the orange island section in Bulbapedia.

Note: Don't come shouting at me about how stupid it is, this is just a sugestion.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom