• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Digimon fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC821

Reaction score
Is anyone on the site is both a Pokemon fan and a Digimon fan? Because I do and because they both influence each other.

I've always liked both actually, with Tamers being my favorite season. I also liked the Tri movies even though I know quite a few Digimon fans weren't really satisfied with them (I get why, but I still enjoyed them personally). I've also liked some of the games I've played in the series, with Dawn and Dusk being my current favorite. I'm also excited for Digimon Survive, but I'm still salty that it was delayed until 2020.

If I were a Tamer, my Digimon partner would be BlackGatomon, who digivolves into LadyDevimon.

I remember watching the first Digimon series a lot, but progressively less with each one. The third one (Tamers?) was a standout, albeit very dark at times. The fourth one (Frontier?) was where I lost most interest. Kids getting sucked into a parallel world (with ambiguous ties to the real one) and having to learn their way out is a timeless trope, but I never bought in to the idea that said parallel world was brought about through the Internet, or that it would (as proven in the finale of all four Digimon series, if not all Digimon series outright) ultimately have dominion over the real one.

Notably, I like how the second one was a direct continuation of the first, and while it did start with a minor disservice to the original cast and their 'Mons, in the long run this was only temporary (unlike a certain popular movie franchise today that is all too fun to reference).

I've always felt that all the creature names ending in "-mon" was a little on the stupid side, and I don't like many of the creature designs on average, but there are certainly some designs I love, like Guilmon, Garudamon, and everybody's favorite yellow fox Renamon.

I've always felt that all the creature names ending in "-mon" was a little on the stupid side
Somebody made a theory years ago that the reason they believe that majority of Digimon names ending in -mon is similar to an extension or format data files have, so like .gif, .doc, .jpeg, etc. So it could be that every Digimon species has a file, so it'll be .mon (Rena.mon, Cerberu.mon, Hawk.mon, etc.). I'll have to find the theory again since that person worded it better, but it at least makes sense due to them being digital monsters.

I think the actual reason the names have -mon is because of marketing decisions though.

The reason why all Digimon names end in -mon is the same reason why all Tamagotchi names end in -tchi (except for Makiko for some reason), except it actually makes sense for Digimon; Tamagotchi refers to what the device looks like, an egg watch.

I once wanted to write a Pokemon/Digimon crossover fanfiction, but I decided to turn it into a My Little Pony crossover instead when I realised that I didn't know enough about Digimon to feel confident glossing over things. You can read more about it here and here, and you can borrow the idea if you want.

Also, there's one massive gripe I have with this franchise: the localisation of Digimon names. It's so rare for a Digimon's name to be changed that when it happens, it feels like they pulled it out of a hat. For example, there's Cocomon and Chocomon, two names that could work in English... But they changed them to Conomon and Kokomon. WHY?!

Well, to be fair...I chose LadyDevimon because I wanted a "dark =/= evil" thing going on.

I enjoyed Digimon very much up until Digimon Savers. I had a chance to watch Tamers after I grew up and I really liked it.

Also, there's one massive gripe I have with this franchise: the localisation of Digimon names. It's so rare for a Digimon's name to be changed that when it happens, it feels like they pulled it out of a hat. For example, there's Cocomon and Chocomon, two names that could work in English... But they changed them to Conomon and Kokomon. WHY?!
I feel the same when it comes to Monster Hunter names. At least the majority of Pokemon names sound like native language creations....

While I preferred Pokemon, Digimon was a very big part of my childhood. I appreciated its different approach to monsters, and it was easier to sell to my friends for some reason and so we played it in our breaks. Everything about Adventure, 02 and some parts of Frontier (my cable company didn't have the channel that broadcast Tamers) bring back very good memories.

In 2007, my interest on Pokemon peaked as I found out about the 4th generation and played my first game on Emerald at almost the same time, while Digimon had nothing. I kept following the franchise and I still do to this day, having watched every anime production that has come out since. It fights with Steven Universe as my second favorite franchise.

The only game I've played is Adventure PSP on an emulator, helping out my brother on some missions. He loves the franchise more than me but I don't think its his favorite either.

My general opinions are: 02 is underrated, Applimonsters is terribly underrated and is one of the best series in the franchise in terms of Digimon feel and character work, Tri has a lot of flaws but some moments are great and it's very stressing to see new series every 4 years, makes me think the franchise will just die one day. Upcoming series should not be gimmicky, but instead be a traditional adventure with lots of lore as there's a lot of unexplored potential there.

Well, I liked both Adventure series, but I stopped watching just when Tamers got dark (last episode I recall was Leomon's death, which was played more seriously than other times). I think I stopped watching it because Fox Kids changed its timeslot but I'm not exactly sure. I tried watching it again, but seeing kids transform into Digimon instead of fighting along them left a bad taste in my mouth. I might give it another chance at a later date.

On the videogame side, I did like both Story DS games, didn't exactly like World 1, thought Rumble Arena was okayish, and was horribly disappointed over the lack of progress of the Lost Evolution fan translation (last thing I heard it's still being worked on).

Yeah, Rumble Arena was a lot of fun. Rumble Arena 2 was also fun, though more chaotic and it definitely showed a clear favoritism for Digimon's "Gen 1".

I tried playing Digimon World 2 (PSX) but didn't like it. I have a copy of Digimon World 3 (also PSX) and while it has its issues, it feels a bit more charming.

I've played some of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I chose Palmon, and I hope the game's mechanics get more interesting. I don't play non-Pokémon RPGs very often. (Also, where does Palmon's name come from?)

I’m currently marathoning Digimon Savers and it’s gotten me hooked on the whole franchise. My favorite Digimon, by the way, is Gaomon. He’s so adorable and badass at the same time, like a lot of my favorite Pokémon.

Now, this may come as a shock to some of you, but I am a massive Digimon fan. Yes, I know, you could never tell just by looking at, say, my username or anything. I grew up on the Digimon Adventure VHS tapes from the public library, to the point that, even though these days I generally consider the dub the better version, along with its music, I still unironically love the original Digi Rap.
I've played the heck out of Hacker's Memory (just finished my... 4th, I think, runthrough), and I know I'm gonna snap up Survive right away once it releases.

As for my favourite, I'm sure you could never guess, but it's WereGarurumon. But, aside from the blatantly obvious, I also really like Gallantmon and UlforceVeedramon, with Hudiemon also having a very high place.

Also kinda super majorly pissed off that I missed the order periods for the 20th anniversary Digivices

Not to mention the fact that they can't even keep the localised names consistent within their own franchise, with the same Digimon potentially having two different names in two games right after each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom