• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do always Shiny pokemon ruin the concept?

Blue Flare

Out of Retirement
Reaction score
I have been having some trouble trading away a shiny gyarados that I got on the GTS. This particular pokemon is not from the lake of rage, but noone ever seems to want it, most likely because they have one themselves. So, with the release of BW2 comes the ability to be given a shiny gible or dratini, or catch a shiny haxorus. I was wondering your opinions as to if you think these automatic shinies ruin the rarity of having a shiny pokemon?

Shiny Gyarados is fine in my opinion, since it was GSC's way of introducing Shiny Pokemon to you. But I agree that after that, free Shinies should not be in the games.

Although, if you're like me and never seem to run into a wild shiny, guaranteed ones are nice.

The concept is not bad at all. What is bad is that you know which shiny Pokémon you're going to get. If they told you "I'm going to give you a shiny Pokémon" but they don't tell you which one it is, it's cool because it's still a surprise. If you know, however, which one you're getting, it makes the "legally" found shiny Pokémon less... special, because now many people can find them pretty easily.

No, it doesn't ruin the concept. I think it's for people who either just don't have the patience to encounter one or for people who just have rotten luck. I'm pretty sure people would complain if they didn't program ANY guaranteed shiny encounters into the game.

I'm pretty sure people would complain if they didn't program ANY guaranteed shiny encounters into the game.

I don't think they would, really. If I remember correctly, the Red Gyarados was the only one up until B2W2, but I haven't seen any fans crying for more.

No, it doesn't ruin the concept. I think it's for people who either just don't have the patience to encounter one or for people who just have rotten luck. I'm pretty sure people would complain if they didn't program ANY guaranteed shiny encounters into the game.

I'm pretty sure people don't complain about the lack of guaranteed Pokérus encounters

It dosen't ruin the concept. There have been very few of those guarunteed shinies like the Red Gyarados. If I remember correctly the ones you get are:
Red Gyarados(G/S/C and HGSS)
Shiny Gible/Dratini(BW2)
Shiny Haxorus(BW2)

That's only 3 and With the Haxorus you have to work for it(completing the Unova Dex) I don't think that takes the value of shinies away considering that they might be the only shinies you even see in those games.

I'm fine with it. To me, the more shinies, the better. And if it's a guarantee, then I can set up to have a good one if I so desire without having to go through the work of a Masuda run. (I enjoy a breeding run, but I can understand why it would get boring to some players fast. And if you don't have good parent Pokemon to start with, you're a bit hooped.)

Of course, I don't trade off any of my shinies so I wouldn't be seeing a decrease in the value of say, a shiny Gyarados. If it has my ID number, it stays with me.

Who'd choose a shiny over Pokérus (provided they didn't have either)?

These "freebies" have as much value as you choose to give them. Complaining about something loosing their presumed rarity is pretty stupid if you ask me.

I don't think that it ruins the concept at all. There haven't been that many always shiny Pokemon encounters and even if they did one a game, it still doesn't take away from the other shiny Pokemon. It only messes with the value of the Pokemon that they decided to make shiny for everyone.

A Pokemon being shiny, or not doesn't really effect the value of that Pokemon in my eyes. Sure if you're lucky to get a shiny it's nice, but I didn't ever think they were that special to begin with.

Regardless they are still rare, so I would say the original concept has not been tarnished.

It dosen't ruin the concept. There have been very few of those guarunteed shinies like the Red Gyarados. If I remember correctly the ones you get are:
Red Gyarados(G/S/C and HGSS)
Shiny Gible/Dratini(BW2)
Shiny Haxorus(BW2)

That's only 3 and With the Haxorus you have to work for it(completing the Unova Dex) I don't think that takes the value of shinies away considering that they might be the only shinies you even see in those games.
You're forgetting all the event Pokémon. Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Pichu (who can evolve into Pikachu and Raichu), and probably others I'm not recalling. I don't think they can be traded on the GTS (not sure), but either way, a shiny Entei is a lot less rare than it was before the promotion.

Anyway, I don't think that any of these "Pokémon who are always shiny" ruin the concept at all. The concept is that the Pokémon looks cool (if you like its alternate coloration). Nothing more. The fact that they are really rare (except the ones who are always shiny) and can be used in trades is a nice bonus, but it's got nothing to do with the concept of having shinies in the first place.

It's called advertisement. Someone who started playing in Gen V will likely be introduced to shinies through Haxorus and Gible/Dratini the same way we were introduced to them with the Red Gyarados. There's nothing wrong with definite shinies at all.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom