• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do we want TM's to stay re-usable?

Do you want TM's to stay re-usable?

• Yes!!

Votes: 157 94.6%
  • No!!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I don't know...

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I like that TMs are now reusable otherwise I would never use them.

But there could be a method where someone from Silph Co. (or the corresponding local company) could meet with the player to give them a quest to collect all the TMs for him/her to analyze. The employee would then be able to duplicate any "wild" TMs to permanently add them to a theoretical TM Store for the player to buy. It would add some arbitrary money sink to discourage teaching the whole team a powerful move without consequence.

However, it would be less convenient and more complicated than the current system which is why I don't think it will or should happen.

I can't imagine GameFreak going from re-usable TMs to unlimited purchases of any TM. You're essentially doing a lot more in order to achieve what GameFreak has already once implemented. I barely see the point. Also, he'd have to be available in game so players are actually aware that this concept exists before they use their TMs, and also to allow them to not have to go through a lot of the game without using any of their TMs. It makes much more sense sticking to re-usable TMs.

I am completely aware that it is going backwards and is essentially a nerf. I never expect this idea to be implemented but we still have to think of alternative solutions just to provoke discussion. Just saying "No" to things doesn't create a dialogue.

This thread is just a bunch of "Yes because I am a hoarder and would never use them otherwise". Why leave this thread open if nothing new is being said?

The guy could be introduced very early (first town even) and give you a "TM recorder" that activates when you pick up/receive a TM. Then you could use your TM immediately and still be able to duplicate it.

Or we could go the simple way and just make Move Tutors free as well and PokeMarts too.

Not necessarily. If a thread dies, then it dies, it's not necessary to HAVE to think of alternatives just for the sake of discussion, particularly if you think of a theory you neither believe would ever happen or think it should.

Who in the world voted "No"? .______.

Personally, if TM's were brought back to be "single-use" and not re-usable, it would be enough for me to not buy either X or Y. I'd hate Game Freak forever if they did that.

IMHo the only way single-use TM's can be made to work again after G5's unlimited-use TM's is to have a shop somewhere where you can buy any TM (and I do mean *ANY* TM) that you already/previously had. To facilitate this, the game silently keeps track of all TM's you have ever acquired and when you use up a TM its slot doesn't disappear from your TM pocket, it just gets grayed out and its quantity drops to "x0".

Said TM shop might only be accessible in the postgame, but it does ultimately enable you to teach TM moves as many times as you want (a la G5), albeit with a cash investment for getting more uses out of each TM.

Not only that, but I hope that the use of HM's is minimal like in Gen 5. The only ones you really need are Surf and Fly, so I hope they reduce the amount of HM's you need. That was one thing I really loved about Gen 5.

If they aren't re-usable in X&Y I will be more than a little pissed off. So yes.

Not necessarily. If a thread dies, then it dies, it's not necessary to HAVE to think of alternatives just for the sake of discussion, particularly if you think of a theory you neither believe would ever happen or think it should.

As a developer you need to think that nothing is "perfect". Even if you voted "Yes" on this poll you have to think about why someone would vote "No". By thinking about alternatives, you can see the argument for the other side (even if you lean towards one side).

We went directly from single-use TMs to unlimited use. What if this happened to potions/ethers/repels? People would like it but it would be overpowered and make the game too easy. I like being overpowered but it's not necessarily balanced.

Ideas like "What if the Pokemon Center cost money? Inns in other RPGs do but why doesn't this one?" and "What if the move tutor just gave us a TM of the move we just bought instead of paying them each time we want to learn a move?" help us understand why we accept certain game mechanics and the consequences for changing them.

Yes. Otherwise you will press the wrong button and teach your most valuable TM to a Magikarp. And it is simply good to teach your pokemons TMs that stay reusable. Then you can give them a more varied movepool. My Excadrill and Haxorus knows Brick Break and Siesmitoad, Electivire and Haxorus knows Earthquake. Everything from TM.

Yes. Otherwise you will press the wrong button and teach your most valuable TM to a Magikarp. And it is simply good to teach your pokemons TMs that stay reusable. Then you can give them a more varied movepool. My Excadrill and Haxorus knows Brick Break and Siesmitoad, Electivire and Haxorus knows Earthquake. Everything from TM.
Magikarp can't learn TMs, but I get what you're trying to say. (Though, you'd have to press a LOT of wrong buttons to teach the wrong TM to the wrong Pokemon.) I agree about having varied movepools; now that I'm not worried about saving TMs "just in case," I have a lot more liberty in developing movepools and skills. Which is good, because I like to give my Pokemon many differently-typed moves.

Magikarp can't learn TMs, but I get what you're trying to say. (Though, you'd have to press a LOT of wrong buttons to teach the wrong TM to the wrong Pokemon.) I agree about having varied movepools; now that I'm not worried about saving TMs "just in case," I have a lot more liberty in developing movepools and skills. Which is good, because I like to give my Pokemon many differently-typed moves.

And to give different typed moves is easier with reusable TMs. My Haxorus knows Dragon Claw, Swords Dance, Brick Break and Earthquake. Two of those moves are TMs.
And I knew Magikarp could not learn TMs but you got the point and that is what I wanted. What I wanted to say(for everyone who just thought my Magikarp example was pointless and dumb)is that you teaches a TM to a really useless pokemon and never can use that TM again.

Yes, yes, yes! TM's should now and forever remain re-usable! I was always nervous in using a TM, and usually had to get multiple copies of one game so I could trade them over to my main game, so that way if I made a mistake, I'd have a way to mitigate it.

Sure it made it easier to use them, but this way you can mix and match to your heart's content, without fear of screwing up or wasting a powerful item. I became much more willing to use TM's in Gen V, as it made customizing my team more fun, and I didn't have to worry about regretting a misused TM later on. I'm all for keeping it this way. Plus, they did balance it out a bit; TM's that can be purchased are more expensive, and really powerful ones (like Earthquake, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, etc) are in out-of-the-way places and usually harder to find. So I say keep it. If it ain't broke, don't break it.

Even though TM hoarding and trading was popular in past gens (something that I did a lot), I still say leave TM's as re-usable items. They did a good job in Gen V with that feature, so I don't see a reason to remove it. So that's what I feel. TM's should stay re-usable, no doubt about it.

We went directly from single-use TMs to unlimited use. What if this happened to potions/ethers/repels? People would like it but it would be overpowered and make the game too easy. I like being overpowered but it's not necessarily balanced.
I don't think this comparison holds up. Potions, ethers and repels are cheap and easily obtainable. Prior to Gen V, most TMs were one-off items.

I think that back in Gen I, TMs being one-use-only made some sense... or at least, wasn't as much of a hindrance as it became in later games. With just 151 Pokemon, there were perhaps only a few Pokemon that were even compatible with most TMs, so decision of how they should be used wasn't as agonizing as it was in later Gens, where the temptation was to simply hoard TMs until the full range of Pokemon became available in the postgame.

As a developer you need to think that nothing is "perfect". Even if you voted "Yes" on this poll you have to think about why someone would vote "No". By thinking about alternatives, you can see the argument for the other side (even if you lean towards one side).

Ideas like "What if the Pokemon Center cost money? Inns in other RPGs do but why doesn't this one?" and "What if the move tutor just gave us a TM of the move we just bought instead of paying them each time we want to learn a move?" help us understand why we accept certain game mechanics and the consequences for changing them.

Nothing is perfect. Everyone knows that. You've every right to post any thoughts you have, no matter what they are, as long as they're related to the thread. People were posting whether they liked the feature or not, however, to me it seemed like instead of posting whether you thought it was a good idea or not and post reasons for explaining why, you thought of a theory you don't even believe in, nor think has any chance of being a feature, for the sole sake of people continuing discussion. Your last reply was true, it is good to think of all those things, however, it seemed you weren't really thinking those things and just posted an alternative to keep people talking.

I don't think this comparison holds up. Potions, ethers and repels are cheap and easily obtainable. Prior to Gen V, most TMs were one-off items.

I think that back in Gen I, TMs being one-use-only made some sense... or at least, wasn't as much of a hindrance as it became in later games. With just 151 Pokemon, there were perhaps only a few Pokemon that were even compatible with most TMs, so decision of how they should be used wasn't as agonizing as it was in later Gens, where the temptation was to simply hoard TMs until the full range of Pokemon became available in the postgame.
You couldn't buy ethers, though.

What if all TMs were eliminated and added to move tutors that cost shards/money? Is unlimited access the main drawing point?

What if the move tutors were free (once you found them)? Is it free moves that you want?

Or do you like TMs because they are always on you? You could call a move tutor by phone and use them over the phone.

Most people will probably just reply "All of the above" but it looks like just giving unlimited access to avoid hoarding is the main reason for some people.

I think as long as we had unlimited access to the moves, we'd be ok with it. Replacing TMs with shard tutors would be a fit far though, considering shards aren't exactly the easiest things to find unless you actively start looking for them (from my experience anyway).

It's just the 'one-use' drawback that was people's real irk, I think.

Most definitely yes. It was so convenient to be able to teach a Pokemon a TM move, try it out for a while, and replace it if needed without worrying about 'wasting' the TM.

I really hope for TM to stay re-usable. It doesn't promote people's using cheating devices to get 999 of TM 26 and uses them on multiple pokemons and gain advantage in battles over legit players.
It's also really helpful when in the middle of the cave, you unexpectedly need a HM move that your HM slave doesn't know. I'd just delete a TM move from one of my pokemon, learn the HM, then later on go to move deleter and re-learn the TM move.

It doesn't promote people's using cheating devices to get 999 of TM 26 and uses them on multiple pokemons and gain advantage in battles over legit players.
That's an interesting point. The amount of work required to get multiple Pokemon knowing the same (single-use and OOAK) TM is pretty much comparable to the amount of work required to get one Pokemon with perfect IV's.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom