• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you enjoy entering contests? Which do you prefer?

Somari

Reaction score
Super contests or contests?

I noticed that a lot of people seem to prefer contests over Super contests.

I can't stand them though. They seem so..Useless and frustrating. Plus super contests are more fun, easier, and they feel like you're actually doing something productive...In my opinion, of course.

Gen III contests. the only thing super contests have over the old ones is that the music in the contest hall is catachier.

In gen III you could actually think up strategies, make combo's, predict one of your friends to make a combo and then use something that deducts hearts. Supercontests lack all that. Plus they have that annoying dancing round.

I like both. You have to rely on prediction in the Gen III contests. In Gen IV, you have to rely on fashion sense (category-wise) for the first round, a good sense of timing in the second round, and even more prediction than in Gen III in the third round.

I loved the Gen III contests! They were like battles but not really. Super Contests had too much 'foreplay' I didn't really care about and it affected the final result too much... Not to mention the new actual contest system was completely different, which bothered me.

super contests are the bane of my existance. so annoying to get a masters ribbon. i did on my first try but its not the point /end rant :p

If they didn't remove jamming in Gen 4, super contests would be infinitely better. The dressup round is a good idea [albeit, could be executed better] and the dancing round is a lot of fun, but then you get to the meat of the contest, the appeals, and in Gen 4... I have so many Pokemon with all the contest ribbons on them because it's just so easy :/ All you need; a move that gets +2 when you're first, a move that gets +2 when you're last, and a neutral, "Good appeal," move.

Neither Hoenn's or Sinnoh's contests were overly interesting - I joined them only for the ribbons - but Hoenn's were better. Pokémon dress-up in general was a boring idea, and it's implemented in Super Contests. Also I liked the more strategic nature of the originals (Harden + Take Down was a wonderfully broken combo, though =D)

I forgot to add in my rant, that I hate the addition of the 3 judges in Super contests. I mean, what's the point?

I like both. You have to rely on prediction in the Gen III contests. In Gen IV, you have to rely on fashion sense (category-wise) for the first round, a good sense of timing in the second round, and even more prediction than in Gen III in the third round.

+2 when first move x2
+2 when last move x2

And then hope you'll never be second or third. Such strategy.

Neither Hoenn's or Sinnoh's contests were overly interesting - I joined them only for the ribbons - but Hoenn's were better. Pokémon dress-up in general was a boring idea, and it's implemented in Super Contests. Also I liked the more strategic nature of the originals (Harden + Take Down was a wonderfully broken combo, though =D)

I used mind reader + high jump kick. Works even better because mind reader gives 3 hearts.

Curse + destiny bond also was one of my favourites though. And if you'd max out the crowd, such overkill xD

I like the Gen III contest, but not the Gen IV

I always entered the cool contest, because most of my pokemon knew "cool" moves so it was easy to win. I think I also had a lot of pokemon that knew "tough" and "smart" moves as well, so I entered them in those too.

I never enter contests. Very lame imo. Pokethlon Is much more enjoyable.

I love Sinnoh's Super Contests. It's much more creative and interactive than Hoenn's. Though, I admit, Super Contests would be much better if they hadn't removed jamming. I loved screwing over other people's Pokemon.

I like them both. But I'll go with Super Contests because the dancing is fun. XD Now if we were talking about the ANIME, I like regular contests way better, but game-wise, Super Contests win.

Yet I agree with CrackFox. I think Pokethlon is way more fun than both of them.

I like the dancing in Gen IV, but not the appeals or dressing up. You don't have enough time to put all the accessories on your Pokemon, and if you have a list of the ones that are high scoring, you dominate.

Gen III contests I adore. Far more challenging, and the way that you get your Pokemon's picture draw is awesome too.

So normal contests for me.

Never played the Sinnoh remakes, but I've never liked the Super Contests in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, mostly because of the three judges and the dance round. It doesn't help that in Hoenn Contests, the NPCs do use Pokemon with TM/HM moves, unlike in Super Contests, where all of them only have level-up moves, and in Emerald, after you obtain the National Dex, they even start using Pokemon not in the Hoenn Dex like Dragonite and Totodile. All in all, I greatly prefer the Hoenn version of Contests.

I don't really enter the contests much as I generally don't do that well in them. I did like putting accessories on my Pokemon though in Platinum's contests, again though sometimes my style choice never seems to gain many hearts from the crowd, and the rest of the event just bores me that I don't really bother or just restart the game and not try again. BDSP's contests made it even more boring for me that I just outright avoid it. The only side event I really enjoy is the Pokeathlon in HGSS, it's more fun and creative that I always spend way too many hours there.

Yeah, I definitely liked contests and I had a lot of fun playing them especially in gen IV. I thought they were fun in the remakes, too even though they were very stripped down. To be honest, I really want them to bring them back in future games...but I know they're of the past. Oh, well.

I did like contests as a kid in Sapphire, trying to get all the museum paintings and Milotic... Honestly I never tried Sinnoh ones or any similar features like Musical or Pokestar Studios...

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom