• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you ever "Mark" your Pokemon?

Rellik

That Guy
Reaction score
If so, what do the marks mean? As for me:

Circle - The Pokemon is Shiny.
Triangle - The Pokemon has been EV trained or is a candidate for EV Training.
Square - The Pokemon has an uncured Pokerus infection.
Heart - I'm not the OT for this Pokemon. (Meaning it was obtained in a trade, an Event, or migrated in from a GenIII game.)
Star - This is an Event Pokemon.
Diamond - This Pokemon has been cured of Pokerus.

Circle - EV trained
Triangle + Square - Sepcial egg moves
Star - Shiny
Diamond - Obtained via GTS

Yeah, I do.
Circle: The Pokémon is from the game it's currently in
Square: The Pokémon is on Lv. 100
Triangle: The Pokémon is an event Pokémon
Heart: The Pokémon is shiny
Star: The Pokémon is from GTS
Diamond: The Pokémon appears to be/is clearly hacked

One of the most useful ways to mark is to denote perfect IVs, so that's what I do. So circle is 31 HP IV, Triangle is perfect Attack and so on. Helps you keep track for breeding and so you know which is which (assuming you wrote the IVs down)

I normally don't mark my Pokemon, but I started doing that in Platinum (a star for the Pokemon I use in the Battle Frontier)

Circle=caught myself
Triangle=pal park'd
square=obtained in a trade
heart=bred by me
star=given to me in-game/in-game trade
diamond=event Pokémon

Yeah, I do.
Circle: The Pokémon is from the game it's currently in
Square: The Pokémon is on Lv. 100
Triangle: The Pokémon is an event Pokémon
Heart: The Pokémon is shiny
Star: The Pokémon is from GTS
Diamond: The Pokémon appears to be/is clearly hacked

I actually use this exact system, just with a few of the symbols switched around :lol:

I do, some to dignify something
• = HM Slave/User
■ = Official Team Member(stays)
▲ = Training Needed
♥ = Breed Machine(s)
* = Contest Pokemon
♦ = ??? Pokemon is one of my Fav.

It often bothers me when Pokemon are marked so I normally don't mark them. Also, I don't see the point of marking a shiny when the game puts a special mark on the Pokemon already. :/

I don't even know what the marking is for.. (=_=") So, no.. Looks useless to me..

Also, I don't see the point of marking a shiny when the game puts a special mark on the Pokemon already. :/

On the PC, you can filter the Pokémon by the markings. Thus, I can locate my shinies a lot faster if I make it show only the heart-marked ones.

Cirlce: Rookie (lvl1-19)
Square: Cadet (lvl20-29)
Triangle: Officer (30-39)
Heart: 2nd Lt. (40-49)
Star: 1st Lt. (50-59)
Diamond: General (60+)

Only on Platinum, have I marked a Pokemon . . .

My main mark is the Heart, which I put on my breed-whore Eggs (because I randomly breed a lot) and any Pokemon I've caught/Pal Park'd/traded via my D/P games/etc. The others (Square/Triangle/Circle/Diamond) I put on Link Trade Eggs so that I remember who originally gave me the Egg.

I think at one point I did mark my faves on Diamond though . . . I haven't played it recently. D8

only when I have multiple pokémon that I can't distinguish without marks

Only marked a few so i could tell what sinnoh starters i was breeding. I forgot what they are now, though.

I mark ones with perfect ivs in a stat, since there's 6 marks it works out pretty well.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom