• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any concerns about the two upcoming games?

tbh I think "break reminders" are important for younger people playing to know, but in my experience they don't listen to them anyway -__-

Break reminders. Being that these are 3DS games, you can be 99% sure it's gonna be there. I'll just have to accept that, but God forbid it's as obnoxious as Navi in OoT 3D. I don't need to be told to stop playing my game once every hour, thanks.

If they were like the ones in Gates to Infinity (dumb "you should play more again later!" or w/e message after you save), that wouldn't be too bad...

I don't mind how they are in ACNL too much, "you look tired, you've been working too hard. You should have a rest!" etc.

A little annoying but I'd be able to deal with it. Not sure how they'd implement it in Pokemon though, unless NPCs get given multiple dialogues or something.

Maybe the Professor will call you on the whatever-gear-this-gen-has and say "Hi [name]! I'm just calling to remind you that if you're tired, you should take a break. You've been out walking for over an hour now, so I think it's time for you to take a breather. You can start up again again in a few hours!" Or there could just be a magical disembodied voice of the professor or mother that echos something similar giving birth to a new version of Oak knowing when you're trying to ride a bike indoors.

Sure, they might be annoying, but there are ways to make them not seem out of place.

My chief concern is visual issues/glitches like clipping, animation looping or wonky pathing in the new 3D environments or battlefields. I can only hope they do a thorough job of checking for those sorts of things.

Maybe the Professor will call you on the whatever-gear-this-gen-has and say "Hi [name]! I'm just calling to remind you that if you're tired, you should take a break. You've been out walking for over an hour now, so I think it's time for you to take a breather. You can start up again again in a few hours!" Or there could just be a magical disembodied voice of the professor or mother that echos something similar giving birth to a new version of Oak knowing when you're trying to ride a bike indoors.

Sure, they might be annoying, but there are ways to make them not seem out of place.

Getting constant phone calls from the professor just to advise you to play more later would get irritating very quickly, it would interfere with the game a lot. A better way to do it would be to it every now and then right after you've saved the games.

My major concern is that it runs in 3DS and I haven't got a 3DS...

I might need to buy the game and borrow a friend's 3DS to download the wonder card if they release it with event pokemon promotion. (Like B/W Victini and B2/W2 Genesect)

And the backward compatibility to Gen V. Hopefully it's just like poke transfer. I don't mind a same or different mini game, doesn't really bother me as long as they're backward compatible and we can send pokemons from Gen V to VI.

GTS makeover would be nice (if the GTS is present

I don't mind having 150 new pokemons or so as long as they don't contain more than 2 events only pokemon in there.

Why are those bad, exactly? It would just be a little popup, probably on the touch screen. It wouldn't affect gameplay, and maybe, if you're really annoyed by it, you could touch it to make it disappear.

I'm a bit worried that with so many rival characters in the games, there won't be enough time to give them good development like they did with most of the fifth generation rivals. I'm also a bit worried that we'll have another repeat of what happened to Brendan/May, but I think that the chances of that are much less than my first concern. At least they all seem to stand out fairly well from the initial information, so maybe they'll turn out better than I'm thinking at the moment.

Here's my main concern: The pokemon games are quick playthroughs as-is. If GF spends most of their time focusing on the lay of the land and the 3D graphics of the game on a new console (Not like it's bad to utilize the 3D capabilities of the 3DS, but...), they will have less memory to make a good story. Gen V, in my opinion, was seriously lacking in story and content, while focusing more on the visual capabilities of GF. BW had a mediocre story at best, and the post game was nearly non-existant. B2W2 was a step in the right direction with a deep story, but GF is able to create an incredible tale, and still have good 3D visual effects. My concern is that they prefer to spend time on the graphics rather than story quality.

But Gen V was the first time all the games were connected. It went from the same game with different Pokemon (give or take slightly different evil team objectives) to actually being one big giant story happening in parallel universes at the same time. Sure it may have been a quick play through (Besides G/S/C/HG/SS and maybe FR/LG...what game hasn't?) and the post games may have needed work (post games have been lacking since G/S/C raised the bar too high by having an extra 8 gyms and another full region to explore)...but frankly the story and changes between each game were pretty interesting. GF had to have put a lot of work put into them to make them seem like they were actually happening in two universes instead of the same game with slight changes.

Here's my main concern: The pokemon games are quick playthroughs as-is. If GF spends most of their time focusing on the lay of the land and the 3D graphics of the game on a new console (Not like it's bad to utilize the 3D capabilities of the 3DS, but...), they will have less memory to make a good story. Gen V, in my opinion, was seriously lacking in story and content, while focusing more on the visual capabilities of GF. BW had a mediocre story at best, and the post game was nearly non-existant. B2W2 was a step in the right direction with a deep story, but GF is able to create an incredible tale, and still have good 3D visual effects. My concern is that they prefer to spend time on the graphics rather than story quality.

What. Are you being serious? Generation V had hands down the best story in the franchise, by a mile. Absolutely no offense intended, but to say that B2W2 was a step in the right direction in terms of story is something really weird to me. B2W2 was certainly better than BW in terms of content/post-game, but the story was very shallow compared to the original Generation V games. Then again, I don't consider this a bad thing, since the sequels were meant to complete the story started in Black & White... Even if in the end, it didn't.

I'm a bit worried that with so many rival characters in the games, there won't be enough time to give them good development like they did with most of the fifth generation rivals. I'm also a bit worried that we'll have another repeat of what happened to Brendan/May, but I think that the chances of that are much less than my first concern. At least they all seem to stand out fairly well from the initial information, so maybe they'll turn out better than I'm thinking at the moment.

Yeah, after Cheren, Bianca and arguably N, it would be very disappointing to have underdeveloped rivals like the ones from some of the earlier games, specially Blue and the RSE rivals.

@Relia; At least Blue became the Champion - the rivals of RSE stopped being trainers and didn't even evolve their starters to the final stage. Then we were stuck with Wally... XDD

Personally, I'd love it if the rival became the Champion again - it gives good closure that you ultimately beat your rival by the end of the game. Though, I agree - I don't want the rivals to give-up being trainers half-way.

@Relia; At least Blue became the Champion - the rivals of RSE stopped being trainers and didn't even evolve their starters to the final stage. Then we were stuck with Wally... XDD.

Yeah, that is true, but personality-wise Blue never improved, in fact, three years after RB/FRLG, he still was the same jerk full of himself (and he kept losing to the player characters xD). Cheren, Bianca, N and even Barry (to some extent) had their personalities and characters developed through the game and I really hope the same happen to the rivals in Pokémon X&Y.

I just hope the rivals actually want to fight me this time around. As soon as I read Shauna's description, I became worried we'd be getting another Bianca, and the whole thing about "traveling and having fun with a group of friends" made me think we'd be getting another Hugh-like situation in which the title "friend" is probably more appropriate than "rival".

Calem/Serena's descriptions, however, give me hope for a good rival this time around.

I'm worried there'll be a lack of rematchable trainers. I'm talking something like the Vs. Seeker or Match Call, which I was really looking forward to seeing in BW2, but instead they just made a few Pokemon Breeders rematchable and kept the Big Stadium/Small Court trainers. The Vs. Seeker was really convenient, because you could rematch the same people endlessly, with no real time between rematches.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom