• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Oh, most certainly. Here they are:

-I like the English dub best and hate the original version most.

-Team Rocket are better characters in English and also sound better.

-Maddie Blaustein and Carter Cathcart are respectively first and second place as the best Meowth voices.

-Ralph Shuckett and John Loeffler were the best composers for the show and films.

-On the note of the above, I agree with this statement of Mr. Loeffler's (5:27 to 6:01).

-Also on that note, "The Power of One" had the best soundtrack of all Pokemon films.

-Ed Goldfarb's dub score is a huge highlight of the XY dub.

-Shinji Miyazaki's last good soundtrack was the Keldeo film.

-Vic Mignogna was the better Keldeo. (Actually, this might be a popular opinion, or on the line dividing popular and unpopular)

-I'd love it if the dub continued replacing music.

-Both 4kids and TPCi scored the show better than the original version did (the only exceptions being almost all of the first movie and "The Saffron Con").

-"XY&Z" is an awful song.

Those are the most obvious ones. Now, here are some lesser-known ones from me.

-The Celebi movie was awful, sub and dub alike.

-That said, Dan Green was the better Vicious.

-BW was a good saga, even though it's in second-to-last place on my sagas list.

-Ash is a better character than Red.

-Pikachu shorts have never needed narration, and they never will.

-I like Michael Haigney's take on Psyduck, as it makes sense for a Pokemon who constantly suffers a headache to sound stressed out.

-Lisa Ortiz, while best when playing against her own type, has never acted badly (except for her role as Lara Laramie).

-Piplup sounded much cuter in English.

So far, that's all I got. What a mouthful.

Last edited:
Got a few more:

-The league is always the worst part of any saga.

-The best pieces of the show's music are the ones that don't remix game music or are even remotely connected to the game music.

-Dub continuity > JP continuity.

I agree with most of what you said but the league what's the reason?

I can sum it up in two words: false hope. Not to mention that each of Ash's losses have been for bullshit causes (except Johto and AG).

True, but you have to admit they are still good, but man never forget what Unova did to things, never FORGET!

That brings me into another one I have:

-Ash's worst league losses: 1. Sinnoh, 2. Kanto, 3. Unova.

And now off the league topic:

-Masachika Ichimura's Mewtwo (performance only) < Phillip Bartlett's Mewtwo (performance only).

The TCPi dub makes the 4kids dub look good..I doubt many people would agree or find that amusing. I am just trying my hand at this.

Oh, not to worry. This thread's goal is not to get people to agree. It's basically a venting corner, and boy have I needed one.

Speaking of which:

-Almost every rename that ever happened to this franchise has been for the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like 4Ever more than The Movie 2000 (going only by dubs, assuming the popular opinion is the other way around).

Oh, not to worry. This thread's goal is not to get people to agree. It's basically a venting corner, and boy have I needed one.

Speaking of which:

-Almost every rename that ever happened to this franchise has been for the better.

I'm not so sure....I mean...Emonga to Emolga...Why? Just WHY? There wasn't even a translation reason to change it.

Speaking of which:

Oh and then there is Voltolos to Thundurus and Genosect to Genesect. The Gen in the name is mispronounced too. It does not have the J sound to it. Say again, that is how the G sounds.

I'm not so sure....I mean...Emonga to Emolga...Why? Just WHY? There wasn't even a translation reason to change it.

Actually, there was. It's not as bad as the V****** case, though. And keep in mind that I'm not trying to change your mind here. Just stating the reason a name change happened.

Oh and then there is Voltolos to Thundurus and Genosect to Genesect. The Gen in the name is mispronounced too. It does not have the J sound to it. Say again, that is how the G sounds.

I like to think of those as dialectical differences, much like "zeebra" and "zehbra" (think of that as an unpopular opinion of mine).

To clarify this, by "almost every rename", I direct that at Pokemon species, city and location names, item names, type names, and titles of episodes, movies, and games. And by that "almost", I do have exceptions.

I'll give it a try:

- Ash is a lot more reserved in XY(Z) then he has ever been in any other series (this is saying a lot as he's my favorite character in the anime as a whole)

- There is barely any comedy in the anime anymore

- BW was a great series! (but with a few minor exceptions) which in terms of comedy and Ash Sass was/is better then XY(Z) :D

- Amourshipping is boring, they have no passion or fire.

- Ash & the XY(Z) gang (the group as a whole) somtimes come off more as acquaintances traveling together then best friends.

- Ash and Clemont by themselves when not with the girls have better chemistry.

- Veronica Taylor will always be the best Ash Voice for the Dub (but Sarah Natochenny does a good job)

- May is the best Pokegirl and Queen (bias opinion)

- Filler episodes are not Filler; they are episodes like any other and they are sometimes better then 'Plot related' episodes.

- All the movies are canon (just because events are not always mentioned in the anime doesn't mean it didn't happen.)

- BW was real, it existed, Ash went to Unova (Deal with it!)

- NOT ONE ASH ROMANCE SHIP IS CANON (at least not from his side) and it won't happen until the creators/writers say so; which will be a very long time from now.

Actually, there was. It's not as bad as the V****** case, though. And keep in mind that I'm not trying to change your mind here. Just stating the reason a name change happened.

I like to think of those as dialectical differences, much like "zeebra" and "zehbra" (think of that as an unpopular opinion of mine).

But the mong in Emonga is tied into the species of flying squirrel it is based on. The Momonga. A Japanese dwarf flying squirrel. Corrupting the spelling as to not trigger people who are oversensitive is quite unfortunate. Also, don't worry, I never thought that you were trying to change my mind. :)

Did Nintendo ever confirm their actual reason for doing it anyway?

I prefer the dub to the original in terms of the voice acting which can be grating with the voices being screechy and shouty so it's hard to gage their emotions f0r their acting at times

- Best Wishes was better than people like to pretend.

- Don Battle tournaments in BW were an awesome addition and it sucks XY doesn't have something similar.

- Iris is actually a decent character and as a character more interesting than Serena.

- XY is overrated and not nearly as good as people like to pretend.

- The Korrina arc in the XY anime was a f-ing waste of time and Korrina was incredibly uninteresting as a character. It doesn't help that they sidelined the actual main characters for 4 episodes especially when Clemont and Serena were in dire need of some focus.

- XY has pretty boring rivals.

- Amourshipping (or any other Ash-related shipping in this anime) will never happen, I have no idea why people fall for it all the time. Ash is not into romance nor does he understand love. This show is and always will be about friendship and Pokemon battles.

- Tobias was an amazing addition to the Sinnoh League and even though people see him as a Deus Ex Machina set up to have Ash lose, it led to Ash defeating two legendary Pokemon, one of which none of the eight Sinnoh gym leaders managed to defeat (Darkrai, since Tobias swept through all eight gyms with Darkrai). It was an amazing way to go out.

I don't think XY is very good. I'm just not entertained by the various episodes that are not gym battles. And I could care even less about the villain plot.

I just can't bring myself to care about Ash-Greninja. I feel it takes away time from every other Pokemon Ash has caught in Kalos, and will outshine everyone else in the league.

I though Tobias was really cool, and a great challenge for Ash. I felt the battle was really cool, and I found the fact that Ash beat Darkrai to be increadible.

I don't like that Ash shouldn't have traded away Aipom. I still wait for the day that Ash will end up in Vermilion City and get Ambipom back.

I loved the rotating team Ash had in Unova. I wish the show would do that again.

The group dynamic of Ash, Iris, and Cilan is the group dynamic in the series

I think the worst season of them is is the original series (Kanto).

-TR are the best characters on the show. As BW has shown, the anime is really dull without them.

-I liked how slow the pacing was in DP, and I hope they do it again with another series.

-Masato is a great character and the excellent AG group dynamics wouldn't have been as strong without him.

-Veronica Taylor's Ash sucks. He sounds way too squeaky and anytime he's supposed to sound angry or determined he just comes off as really corny.

-The flaming Moltres scene in "The Fortune Hunters" isn't funny at all and all those homophobic gay jokes about James that 4Kids loved to write were equally terrible.

Last edited:
Some for me

-Johto isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It has its flaws, like Ash's underdeveloped team and having many fillers, but most of the series was still enjoyable to me. It also wrapped up Ash's rivalry with Gary in a great way.

-Alain is probably the worst character to ever come into the series, more so than the likes of other characters I dislike, such as Tobias, Iris, or Trip. I never liked his dickish and misguided "I need to be stronger than everyone so I can protect the people I care about, yet distance myself from them." personality and I can't stand how overpowered he and his Charizard are, to the point of being able to beat Malva and take on Zygarde 50%. I think he's been approaching Gary Stu territory honestly.

-Sawyer is probably one of the best rookie characters to ever show up in the anime and his development was not rushed in anyway. I liked his personality and I enjoyed seeing him progress. It took him 58 episodes to win all 8 badges and each time we saw him battle, he gets just a bit stronger, until he finally beat Ash with Clauncher and Sceptile. I've wanted to actually see him win the Kalos League.

-The dub is not bad at all and I don't think the music changes are that bad, unless the music doesn't fit the scene. IE Frogadier fighting Gogoat without any victory music like the original version had.

Last edited:
-Showcases are really creative and are more entertaining than contests. Also with this, not every character needs to battle regularly and a goal doesn't need to have battling to be interesting.

-XY's extremely friendly dynamic isn't boring. Bickering within the cast is annoying.

-The dub is not that bad and TPCi is better than 4Kids. Also, changing the music within the episodes is not a huge deal.

-Chespin is one of the most annoying cast Pokemon ever and his rivalry with Pancham is not funny in the slightest.

-Mairin is one of the most irritating characters.

-Serena's Braxien should evolve into Delphox.

-Talonflame is one of Ash's best flying-types.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom