• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you play with the pokemon you like best, or with the strongest?

I love playing with the Pokemon I like. I grow an attachment to them. Coincidentally, quite a few of the Pokemon I like are ones considered to be quite strong by those who play competitively. However I'm not a competitive player so it doesn't really matter too much to me.

Pokemon I like, but if a pokemon is popular competetively, then I refuse to use it because I'm just that hipster (. .)

I don't do Wi-Fi battling, so I'm free to use my favourites. For example, I use Pidgeot whenever its availible, but I wouldn't dare use it in competitive battling. In-game, anything works.

I usually go with a:

Water type, Grass type, Fire type (one of them is going to be a starter obviously), A flying type (Fly purposes), Electric type, A dominant type (Such as Dark or Pyschic) and a Dragon (Or pseudo/Legendary)

They are usually the ones I catch and train.

I usually go with a:

Water type, Grass type, Fire type (one of them is going to be a starter obviously), A flying type (Fly purposes), Electric type, A dominant type (Such as Dark or Pyschic) and a Dragon (Or pseudo/Legendary)

They are usually the ones I catch and train.

You can't have seven pokemon on a team :s

I play with the pokemon I like best. I don't see the fun in just spamming a load of legendaries. Plus, loads of the weaker pokemon are really quite cool/cute and are fun to use.

I do like a lot of the stronger pokemon and use them often, but sometimes, some of the weaker ones need more love, too. :p

Last edited:
I've done both! The first pokemon game I played was white, and so in that I would just catch whichever ones I liked and use them.
Then I got Soul Silver, and for that I kind of mixed and matched, some I kept cause they were my favs (like nidoking) and others I'd take for power.
Then I got Platinum and for that game I bred a bunch of strong pokemon in Soul Silver and traded their eggs over to plat so I had an Uber team with most of their best moves already learned.

So after doing that I find that playing with what you like makes the game more fun, but also makes it take WAY longer (which is not a bad thing neccesarily) and can sometimes be frustrating if all your favorites are weak to a lot of the same type (damn you ground!)

Depends on what mood I'm in, but usually I absolutely will not use a Pokemon unless I like it. Strength is just a matter of grinding them up a few more levels or giving them better moves (or interesting combos), but then I only play single player :)

When i play i try to get as many different types for my 6 main pokemon as a can. so most of the time i pick the starters that end up with two types and try to catch pokemon with two types on the journy.

LOL, Read the quote in my sig.

I always keep my starter on the team and from their it kinda ranges from generation to generation and game to game. I always have the main flying type of whatever region i'm in and I always have a water type with surf, but that's about the only consistency that sticks throughout the gens. In the Kanto and Johto games i'll always have Pidgeot as the flying type, a Nidoking or a Nidoqueen and a Butterfree.

I start with pokemon I can catch than kick them out for tougher one and I also go for type advantage. I preconstruct my full team, slowly get each one and dominate the game.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom