• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late reply, but i would like to give my two cents on this:

This is not true at all. The only reason its Ash's journey now is he's the main character. The anime could go on for as long as the games do without Ash and it'd be the journey of whatever the next protagonist is.

And what big overhaul do you keep refering to? You mean the same thing we see with each saga transition, where the main characters and Pokemon of the group are all changed? I love how you keep acting like this is some "huge expensive" thing, I don't think you know what you're claiming.

Its going to cost money to write a new character, when they write new characters every gen? The only difference is they'll be paying the new VA a lot less than Satoshi's.

Pokemon was always centralized around Ash journey with whole show and story revolving around his character and goal of becoming master. Sure his companions like May, Misty, Dawn, Cilan etc have some involvement and development there too but that doesn't change fact how driving force and series representative is Ash. No one else, that applies to DP too and "equal co-star"status Dawn supposedly had. Even there Ash was still most important.

Changing traveling companions is one thing, which sometimes involve risk too( referring to backlash after Brock departure in OI or Misty's after Johto), but trying to get rid of anime main mascot after 15 years is pretty much something which is just asking for trouble.

Getting rid of Ash and doing complete reboot would certainly cost more money than current formula where one to two traveling companions is changed. For start writers would have to change set up and structure of anime story when overhauling show and getting rid of everything for which current pokemon is known worldwide. Meaning investing in new brand for pokemon, creating new footage and frame cells for new characters instead of using currently existing ones with Ash as well coming up with completely new skeleton on which new anime would be based.

There is also new VA to hire, new design to come up with, new plots, backstory, pokemon team and route through which new protagonist would be taken being required to create. You could say how they already do that with companions but it really isn't same.

By getting rid of Ash writers series lose icon and representative with who people associate pokemon . They get rid of already successful protagonist which proved how it works attracting new generation of kids toward anime and bringing loads of cash. They get rid of pokemon mascot which is most recognizable pokemon character in world being driving force and someone who stands out for pokemon among viewers. Whoever you meet and mention this show, they immediately connect it with Ash and Pikachu. That shows how integrated within pokemon his character really is. Lastly they lose main mascot Pikachu which is connected with Ash being viewed as inseparable set.

Besides getting rid of one character costs less money than getting rid of all characters having less work on your hands.

With current formula they already have defined and established story just picking up from where they stopped with Ash going forward. ,making their job a whole lot easier. They already have anime with established brand working under formula which doesn't involve risk being widely accepted and successful among watchers.

But with new character, series would require heavy retooling coming up with whole new cast,setting and storyline. Essentially starting out from scratch, with writers being blind finding themselves in blurry waters which doesn't guarantee success.

There always exist risk of new character and show not being accepted well among viewers starting to lose interest . There exist danger of Ash departure bringing backlash turning away audience with popularity and impact he left on pokemon becoming huge after being part of it for 15 years. Do people even get idea how much Ash became integrated within pokemon and iconic after so long?

No one wants to invest in something new which involves risk of failing, if current formula already brings profit not backfiring on you. That's bad business move and recipe for disaster.

15 years with Ash is enough. He doesn't need to be fixed because he's essentially the same thing over and over.

I'd rather see his story end then him still be here another 10 years from now doing the same thig in region 8 with friends 12 and 13 getting badges 67 and 72z

If someone got bored with show just because of one character , its more likely that he got bored of anime in general meaning how no new character will manage to restore his interest back. Who is to say pokemon with whole new cast and protagonist getting rid of everything from current show would not make people getting tired of anime being even more disappointed?

Besides just because someone journey goes for long time, doesn't mean how pokemon is anime without ending. Finale wont escape anywhere and if we watched Ash for 15 years, it doesn't matter if writers close him down now or after couple of more years.
Why not give chance to writers, to fix mistakes done with Ash giving him proper growth with character being taken forward. Why not have character go on bigger and better things after winning league growing further as person and trainer with his pokemon. Why not change some things instead of limiting ourselves, and have character age allowing to be developed more significantly, which current age limit doesn't allow? Like writers did with Ben 10 or Naruto.

There are plenty other much better alternatives instead of getting rid of everything for which pokemon used to stand for , destroying continuity, Ash and all past characters people grew to like being erased forever just to get basically rehash of already existing pokemon show following Ash 2.0 going from start all over again.

What should pokemon do instead is actually bringing more continuity starting to focus on older characters for a change(like Misty, May etc)which has potential to be done more and appeal bringing change and fresh air .Similar how anime like Inazuma Eleven go or Bakugan does creating big success in their respective fields.

Goal is to increase ratings and pokemon popularity by attracting different demographic toward anime/older fans which above suggestion would bring, while keeping target audience. Something which would bring success and money. As opposite to making new kids confused and turn away from new show after Ash(someone who they relate with pokemon) is gone ,older fans raged and frustrated after character they either grew up with or liked was ditched and replaced with inferior 2.0 version of what we already have.

Some people want to see things to the end, not wanting to resort to leaving the show before it ends.

It's a problem when we're talking about a never-ending show
And I honestly don't get the "don't want to stop watching until it ends" - if you're watching it, I assume you're still enjoying it, even if maybe less than you used too... if you're not enjoying it, then why force yourself to watch it? for the sake of it? I don't know... I think such people shouldn't force themselves, cause they'll probably continue to "suffer" it for a loooong time, if not even till the end of their life... I seriously believe Pokémon will continue forever (or at the very least, it'll surely survive long enough to celebrate its 20 and 30 years anniversary) and most likely, that includes Ash and Pikachu's journey...

I have mixed feelings about an ending though. I'd like to see Ash's last episode since it's been already 700+ episodes and all, but the main reason all these years I've wanted to is because I wanted Ash to become a Pokemon Master. If we don't see that in the last episode, or maybe even if we don't see him about to become one... we'll (some people will) have watched 700+ episodes to see Ash... not become a Pokemon Master. I'd suppose for some that'd still be better than it still going.

I also don't understand why people think a "final episode" would involve Ash being a master or anything like that... that's obviously not going to happen...
IF they were to end Ash's journey, we'd probably see him win a League and maybe beat a set of Elite Four and Champion... which, while might be cool, is NOT really anything so special and exciting... and then they'll just show us Ash and Pikachu run off to their next journey, while the narrator tell us they went to a new region to continue their adventures and we'll never get to see it - the end... ew... would people really enjoy this?

Some people want to see things to the end, not wanting to resort to leaving the show before it ends.

It's a problem when we're talking about a never-ending show
And I honestly don't get the "don't want to stop watching until it ends" - if you're watching it, I assume you're still enjoying it, even if maybe less than you used too... if you're not enjoying it, then why force yourself to watch it? for the sake of it? I don't know... I think such people shouldn't force themselves, cause they'll probably continue to "suffer" it for a loooong time, if not even till the end of their life... I seriously believe Pokémon will continue forever (or at the very least, it'll surely survive long enough to celebrate its 20 and 30 years anniversary) and most likely, that includes Ash and Pikachu's journey...

In my case, I have been following the show since the first series with hope in the back of my mind that Ash's story would eventually reach a satisfying conclusion. If only in my opinion, it seemed as if Ash was getting better and better with each series until the end of DP; he got top 16 in his first tournament, followed by two top 8 placings in Johto and Hoenn (the latter of which he tackled using a team built from scratch, apart from Pikachu) and then top 4 in Sinnoh (where arguably he was the second best trainer, seeing as how he was the only trainer capable of taking out Tobias' Darkrai). So although by the end of DP Ash's story had laboured on for just less than 15 years already, it did seem as if the writers were going places with Ash.

I am not a fan of BW at all and I can't stand the way that Ash has been treated throughout the saga, firstly being declared to be a 10 year old again after all this time and thereafter having most ties to his past journeys cut loose. Where he was once mentoring a naive trainer/co-ordinator in May, he is now being looked down on by the likes of Iris and Trip who can freely insult Ash's skills as a trainer without any of his past pedigree coming back to bite them. It now feels as if Ash is just a soulless placeholder for the show and he will continue to be reset every so often in order for kids to relate to his quest as a Pokemon trainer. The reason that I continue to keep an eye on the anime is because I have the faintest hope that, come the end of Best Wishes, Ash will revert back to his AG/DP ways and normal business will resume. I've seen him go through too much to just resign myself to believing that BW Ash is the way of the future.

In my case, I have been following the show since the first series with hope in the back of my mind that Ash's story would eventually reach a satisfying conclusion. If only in my opinion, it seemed as if Ash was getting better and better with each series until the end of DP; he got top 16 in his first tournament, followed by two top 8 placings in Johto and Hoenn (the latter of which he tackled using a team built from scratch, apart from Pikachu) and then top 4 in Sinnoh (where arguably he was the second best trainer, seeing as how he was the only trainer capable of taking out Tobias' Darkrai). So although by the end of DP Ash's story had laboured on for just less than 15 years already, it did seem as if the writers were going places with Ash.

I am not a fan of BW at all and I can't stand the way that Ash has been treated throughout the saga, firstly being declared to be a 10 year old again after all this time and thereafter having most ties to his past journeys cut loose. Where he was once mentoring a naive trainer/co-ordinator in May, he is now being looked down on by the likes of Iris and Trip who can freely insult Ash's skills as a trainer without any of his past pedigree coming back to bite them. It now feels as if Ash is just a soulless placeholder for the show and he will continue to be reset every so often in order for kids to relate to his quest as a Pokemon trainer. The reason that I continue to keep an eye on the anime is because I have the faintest hope that, come the end of Best Wishes, Ash will revert back to his AG/DP ways and normal business will resume. I've seen him go through too much to just resign myself to believing that BW Ash is the way of the future.

I mostly agree with you on that, Ash's character got gradual improvement and development from the beginning till the end of DP
Sadly, BW did kind of destroy this... I recently decided that personally, I would be happy if Ash TOTALLY fails in the Unova League, like get Top 16 again (they do love their Kanto references this series...) and then get really depressed, similar to Dawn's depression in DP, get over it and then decide to train more seriously and from then on, for the second half of the BW series, be more like his AG/DP self, with continuing to improve in gens 6 and 7 like he improved from Johto to AG and from AG to DP...

I really think they can keep Ash and continue his development even forever if they wanted... they don't need to "reset" him like they're trying to do in BW... though I also disagree with people who say he was completely "reset"... even in BW, Ash still doesn't seem even nearly as "stupid" as he was in Kanto - you can see he's more mature now, as also edivent in his reactions to Iris or Trip when compared to his initial reactions to Misty or Gary...
I hope that all of what's going on in the BW series right now is just a one-time case of them trying to hard to "repeat" gen 1 like the BW games tried to do... maybe now with BW2 allowing older Pokémon (and possibly older characters and the past in general) to return to the focus, maybe the anime will change a little for the better soon, and hopefully next gen we'll completely return to the AG/DP standards

Also, about the 10 years old thing - he was never stated to be any older than 10, so they didn't contradict anything with that... it was pretty obvious the characters don't get older in this show (and I don't care if he's 10 forever, I just want him to keep the "mature" personality he had in DP and to continue develope as a character regardless of age)

The only way Ash can be redeemed in BW is if he wins the league, which isn't too unbelieveable this time due to his rivals all sucking.

The only way Ash can be redeemed in BW is if he wins the league, which isn't too unbelieveable this time due to his rivals all sucking.

Well seeing as that's probably not going to happen I rather them hurry to the next region, and put Ash in a position where he can be the mature one again. Going back to the Kanto dynamics, where Ash is the fool that needs to be criticized would have been better with a new character.

I'd like to see him replaced, even if its just for a rest period free of pikachu and his manly voice.

Just think, with a quality replacement trainer, they could easily pack another 500 episodes that are just as fresh as the first 100 of pokemon where for me.

No, that would be even more ridiculous than what's going on with him currently...
It'd be much better writting and more interesting if they'll do it my way, let him totally fail (and reference Kanto like they love to do), then let him get depressed, get over it, decide to train seriously and return to his AG/DP self in the next saga of BW, then continue gradual improvements in gens 6-7 like he got in AG-DP
Also, while I said it before, I'll say it again now - I believe that if any character we already know is going to win this League, it'd be Trip... (the other possibility is a random new character that will be introduced at the League like usually happens) which will then get to achieve his dream of officially challenging Adler, and lose to him (rivalry with Ash and Ash finally beating him can happen in BW's next saga)

Why the hell would they have Trip win the league to challenge Adeku? Makes no sense especially when the writers have largely given up on him.

"the writers gave up on him" is no more than another one of your random made up "facts" so yeah...

Correction; the writers seemed to have gave up on him. They could magically make Trip or Ash win the league if they wanted, as terrible and undeserved as it would be. Or even (*gasp) make them developed characters by the end. But I don't really count on it, and I'm fine if they don't until the next series because I'm hoping that they will put BW behind them when its over and never look back.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever wanted Ash gone so badly before then when BW started. I knew when DP was airing it started to feel like Ash was being wrapped up, and I was right. After DP ended the writers basically couldn't go any further with him but reset him.

If they allowed Ash to win the Sinnoh league and battle the Elite 4, even if he lost to Cynthia, it still would have been a satisfying conclusion. Ash would still head out on endless adventures, and we'd see him achieve an almost worthy goal.

At this point, it is moot point I feel. They don't care now, they will always have Ash the pkmn posterboy so no matter how terrible the show he will always be there. And frankly, I think they could still make a good story out of Ash even if he was still there. Why not have him there. His reason for being on the show is to attract kids and he does.

At this point, it is moot point I feel. They don't care now, they will always have Ash the pkmn posterboy so no matter how terrible the show he will always be there. And frankly, I think they could still make a good story out of Ash even if he was still there. Why not have him there. His reason for being on the show is to attract kids and he does.

I agree. I felt that his story was coming together so well in DP that I didn't want him to be replaced. The same thing with AG and BF as well. But now, I just shrub my shoulders and say "to hell with it" and try to enjoy what I can. I still love Pokemon as a series, so I really don't care if he's replaced or not. But since I've know him since was young, there would be a part of me that would seem like it lost someone who made a huge impart in my childhood anime life.

A lot of people are going to hate my opinion, but I don't think he should be replaced at all.

He is an excellent main character for a show like this. He doesn't have much of personality so the fanbase can easily connect with him. Little boys can also step in his shoes because of his nature (mostly because he act's like a real 10 year old in BW which is...okay I guess for the younger viewers). He is also the main source for the most things the fanbase does (like shipping).

Fans also cheer for him when he is in a league (or "shippy moments" for the fans). That would be sad if the writers would give him up.

It might sound odd, but with a new main character, the fanbase would not be the same, but that's just my point of view.

And why do people think if Team Rocket is gone, Ash too? Honestly, we had a bunch of episodes without them now and it works perfectly.

I want Ash gone because I don't watch shows without endings. If there is no conclusion and the series is never-ending then that's not what I watch. Its a serialized series, its not like Simpsons or kids shows like Spongebob or Looney Tunes that can go on forever based on comedy or ridiculous things.

It's a serialized journey with a clear beginning, middle, and hopefully an end.

There's a clear beginning to Ash's journey, but I'm not sure if there has been any middle stage yet considering that he's seventh Gym badge collecting journey. Technically speaking, there have been three endings already to each of the previous series. It's one long story of Ash traveling around, but there are separate series. Ash leaving wouldn't mean the end of the anime though. They would just do basically the same thing with a new character, although I still don't think that's ever going to happen at this point. I don't think that they would give Ash a really great conclusion to his story anyway. I doubt that he would get to challenge the Elite 4 or the Champion of the Elite 4. Even in DP where he was at his peak in terms of his skills as a trainer, I couldn't see him doing that. He and Pikachu would just go off to an unnamed region to capture more Pokemon and meet new friends.

Personally, I don't mind Ash's story not having a conclusion. While I generally do prefer endings with a sense of closure, I don't really expect that from Pokemon. I don't think I ever did, aside from when I thought that the series would end after Ash competed in the Pokemon League back when I first started watching the series. I see it as an endless journey and I don't really mind that. There are quite a few shows that don't have endings, although those are usually due to cancellations or leaving the door open enough for a new season, so I don't really see the problem of watching shows without a clear ending.

There's a clear beginning to Ash's journey, but I'm not sure if there has been any middle stage yet considering that he's seventh Gym badge collecting journey. Technically speaking, there have been three endings already to each of the previous series. It's one long story of Ash traveling around, but there are separate series. Ash leaving wouldn't mean the end of the anime though. They would just do basically the same thing with a new character, although I still don't think that's ever going to happen at this point. I don't think that they would give Ash a really great conclusion to his story anyway. I doubt that he would get to challenge the Elite 4 or the Champion of the Elite 4. Even in DP where he was at his peak in terms of his skills as a trainer, I couldn't see him doing that. He and Pikachu would just go off to an unnamed region to capture more Pokemon and meet new friends.

The beginning is Ash as a rookie and the start of the show (Kanto/Orange/Johto)

The middle is Ash becoming a mature experienced trainer, along with the addition of Contests (AG and DP)

The end will hopefully be Best Wishes and... ????

Either way the show does have a clear format. Once the show ends someday we can look back on it. Ash's story needs a conclusion.

I don't really see Ash relatable because the mistakes he makes are unrealistic and he is kinda lacking in the emotion department which is very unbecoming of a Shonen protanginist

The beginning is Ash as a rookie and the start of the show (Kanto/Orange/Johto)

The middle is Ash becoming a mature experienced trainer, along with the addition of Contests (AG and DP)

The end will hopefully be Best Wishes and... ????

Either way the show does have a clear format. Once the show ends someday we can look back on it. Ash's story needs a conclusion.

Considering that I don't think Ash is going to be replaced at either the end of BW or the end of the fifth series, I don't know if that's a clear middle stage to his journey. Aside from your desire to have an ending, I don't see why Ash's story needs a conclusion. Given the way they've handled the conclusion of the other characters in the series, he isn't going to become a Pokemon Master. Even with the characters who had better conclusions, like May and Dawn, they still didn't accomplish their goals and their endings involved the characters either going on to work on reaching their goal or going towards a new goal all together. Despite being the main character, I couldn't see the writers doing something really amazing with Ash's ending. I can only see them having Ash and Pikachu going to a new unnamed region and running off into the sunset. Besides that, if the writers really cared about giving Ash's story a conclusion, they would have gotten rid of him years ago. By the time a new series starts, he would be the main character for sixteen or seventeen years, depending on if they start the sixth generation series by next year or not. They aren't going to replace the main star after over fifteen years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom