• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you Think Cheat Devices are OK to use?

I don't see the point in cheating - what's the point in even playing the game if you can just get all Pokemon at max stats in an hour?

I don't think you should cheat to get special event, etc Pokemon either: that's kinda the point, isn't it? That they're SPECIAL and most players won't have them?

Any other cheats like 99 MB's, etc. ruin the game mechanics too because you don't have to TRY to finish your Pokedex, etc. I know that I'm proud of catching my Groudon with a Timer ball so that I saved my Master ball for Rayquaza: it also gave the Timer ball a real use.

If you don't ever play with other people then you may as well cheat to get the full benefit of the game once you've played through the entire story; but, Pokemon is definitely a multi-player game so where's the fun in that?

Cheaters that purposely max out their Pokemon just to destroy other trainers in battles are defintely the worst though. Of course, things usually balance out in this case because they probably don't know how to REALLY battle. ;)

As far as exploits: technically they're part of the game so I don't consider it cheating per se; but, you KNOW it's not supposed to be part of the game so...

Anyway: 100% fair PvP battles are the most fun and rewarding. If you want to just piss people off, then I recommend cheating (hey, it was fun in counter-strike haha)

Last edited:
I've cheated before, and to be honest it took a lot of the fun out of the game for me. I have no problem with people cheating if it doesn't affect me.

Is there anyone here who thinks that doing things like:
1. trading to get a pokémon you can catch/evolve on your own version because you are lazy or
2. saving before a legendary Pokémon so you can restart if you fail at catching it, is cheating?
I would do the second but not not the first but i'm not judgemental. Just want to see other peoples opinions.

#1 What's wrong with trading to get a pokemon? That sounds fine to me (assuming it's a legit one of course)

#2 As long as it's part of the game (not an exploit, etc) then that's fine with me too. Saving and powering off is a normal part of the game so go for it! =D

I admit that I've used an Action Replay to shark a Pokemon (Milotic) with an excellent stat setup - 31 HP/DEF, 30 SpA/SpD.

In my defense, the original cart that was home to that beauty is in the hands of someone who likely holds stolen property.

Still... I don't see anything wrong with it for unobtainables, items, and such, but if you're sharking just to get perfect Pokemon, then for crying out loud, play Netbattle or Competitor.

I don't think a video game is worth cheating for... whatever Pokemon or items or stuff I can't find, I can't find, it's not gonna ruin my life or anything, and winning tournaments isn't important for me. I'm too busy trying to do all my papers for school to worry about it anyway (aaargh!!!).

Nah, It takes the fun away, I didn't play Ruby for a long time after I got an AR because it got soooooo boring...I love the feeling when I get a level 100 pokemon....as for the un-obtainables, I think they need a lot more events in more cities....(like Pensacola)

I don't like cheating, but nintendo made the games to hard to complete. I know how to get Mew in Green version, Jirachi and Deoxys (I think) in other games like pkmn Channel and pkmn Colloseum(rare, limited edition). Celebe, I don't know and I don't know how to get Mew in the new games. I would only use the game shark to get the legendary Pokémon, becasue they are almost impossible to get anyway. Nintendo should have made it a little easier and less complicated to complete the pokedex.

NO, NO, NO, NO and NO! I don't think cheats should be used reguardless even if you beat the game! Hacks, I think are perfectly find, as long as you dont get a bunch of rare candy's, but I think using a hack like when you got mew in r/b/y, I think, that is completely fine, it took skill, and you had to get all the way to lavendar town.

When it comes to pokemon you cant get in the game, I say cheats are okay, but get them at level 5 so you can actually train them yourself, thats what I did when I bought the pokemon gameshark thing that pelican was selling.

I believe that cheating in order to speed up a process is okay. Skill is not measured by countless hours spent hatching eggs until you get one with good EVs. I fully support hacking on stats, as long as they are stats that can be achieved via normal gameplay. Things like 999 in all stats and unobtainable moves are stupid.

I also believe in using cheating devies to get unobtainables, like Jirachi or Celebi.

And just as a note, I have not done any of the aforementioned methods.

I would like pkmn at Lv.100, becasue the for each 4 ev points they get, one stat goes up by 1. (you put them in the box to raise the stats since they can't level up). Pkmn at lower level need more ev points to get one extra in a stat. To have a lv.5 is better in another way: You can learn it more and better techniques. A level 100 does not learn anything any more.

I would use the mew glitch rather than use a gameshark though, since I try to avoid cheating.

About EV (and that it's better at lv100):
http://www.psypokes.com/lab/evguide.php

I thinking cheating is only acceptable when obtaining Pokemon that otherwise catchable only through a special event because Gamefreak is cheating us by not making these Pokemon obtainable by normal means.

EDIT: As long as you just activate the event in which said Pokemon was meant to be in.

Cheat devices are okay, if not used in excess. I've used AR to obtain Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and Deoxys. One thing that nobody has brought up is the fact that when you transfer a pokemon from a 3rd gen game to a 4th gen game, you can never return it to the 3rd gen game. Using cheat devices to create a clone to send to D/P while keeping the original in the 3rd gen game doesn't feel like cheating to me.

well i think they are alright to get pokemon like mew deoxys etc etc but for any other reason i would never use them

About cloning in Emerald, if you want to keep one in the 3rd gen and send one to 4th gen, I saw a video when someone cloned in Emerald, but there was something in the game that stopped working. It's not like in Silver/Gold, I don't know if it's good to clone in Emerald, but I have never done it.
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDG0vTizLw

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom