• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want Brock/Takeshi to stay or leave?

Should Brock stay or go?

• Total voters
I actually hate Brock mostly because of his girl hunting moments. I don't think, in the first place, such things should be in kids show (and be honest, Pokémon is a kids show). Other then that, he could be interesting character, but wrtiters goes definitely wrong way with him. IMHO even Max were more interesting character then Brock. So, I wish Brock never were in Pokémon anime in the first place.
But, what I am more affraid then Brock's fate is Dawn's fate. I really do not want to getting used for third main girl. That would be really annoying for me. So, what I want for 5th gen is, Ash and Dawn stay and new male character from games replaced Brock as a sidekick. Since he only will be sidekick, they can freely replace him by new gen 6 character. But changing main character after we finally used to her will not be fair just like it were not with May.

^ I'm not really sure if Dawn will stay once the 4th gen ends. She's essentially the D/P advert girl, the same thing May was to R/S, and once we move into the 5th gen the writers will probably want to use the girl that represents that region. I enjoy her character, so it'll be hard to see her go, but I think we're all used to characters leaving by now so its not a big deal anymore.

The thing is, 200 episodes is a good run for a character. As long as Dawn gets about 200 episodes like May did, then it'll be fine. Anything more than that and the writers tend to ruin a character and run out of things to do with them. We all liked Brock back in Kanto, but you can see now that a lot of people are just plain sick of him. Its a a real shame.

I actually hate Brock mostly because of his girl hunting moments. I don't think, in the first place, such things should be in kids show (and be honest, Pokémon is a kids show).

But it's not like Brock's saying "Let me screw your brains out, bitch!". Most people have older brothers or sisters, so they know how they act around girls. It's not like he promotes sex and teen pregnancy, IMO.

peno said:
Other then that, he could be interesting character, but wrtiters goes definitely wrong way with him. IMHO even Max were more interesting character then Brock. So, I wish Brock never were in Pokémon anime in the first place.

Brock was actually useful in the first few seasons, only in Johto is where he got stale, like Misty. I like Max and I'd like him to be a sidekick when he becomes a trainer.

peno said:
But, what I am more afraid then Brock's fate is Dawn's fate. I really do not want to getting used for third main girl. That would be really annoying for me. So, what I want for 5th gen is, Ash and Dawn stay and new male character from games replaced Brock as a sidekick. Since he only will be sidekick, they can freely replace him by new gen 6 character. But changing main character after we finally used to her will not be fair just like it were not with May.

I think that Ash will leave after the 4th Gen, he might face the Elite 4 that's been foreshadowed, and his story will be wrapped up. I also think that Dawn will stay, because she's a bigger part of the anime than May was(Misty doesn't count). It would be a fresh start with a slightly older Max, Dawn, and maybe the 5th Gen boy to do Contests instead of the girl.

What they should do is to introduce a new, female rival-escue character to the series, one old enough for Takeshi to actually pursue, who would be appearing every once in a while. Her connection to the group isn't that important - make her Satoshi's or Hikari's rival or whatever, but a character Takeshi will be meeting at a somewhat regular basis, one who doesn't turn him down completely, and whom he can focus his attention on. It would really improve his character.

Honoka was perfect for that. Hopefully we'll see her again.

The problem with Honoka is that we don't really have a reason for her to return to the series. If we actually had a semi-occurring character playing the rival role for one character and a romantic interest for Takeshi, they'd be able to build things a lot better. It's not like Takeshi hasn't been interested in a lot of the girls Satoshi, Hikari and Haruka have been battling, and both Hazuki and Tetsuya were old enough for him to have been interested in them had they been female, so it's not that unrealistic a proposal.

The problem with Honoka is that we don't really have a reason for her to return to the series.

She blamed herself for their lose and immediatly left to be a better partner to him
She also clearly got interested at him while he didn't notice because of what she told him earlier (that she doesn't want youngers)
And despite the summary not mention her I still hope she'll be in DP58 ... I guess we'll have to wait a week for 58's VA list to find out

I think that Ash will leave after the 4th Gen, he might face the Elite 4 that's been foreshadowed, and his story will be wrapped up.

Sorry, but I do not really seen a reason why the writers should get rid of their cash cow, which is what Ash is. I think there are only two things sure in Pokémon anime, Ash and Team Rocket. They definitely will be here until Pokémon anime will be ended or cancelled.

I don't think, in the first place, such things should be in kids show (and be honest, Pokémon is a kids show)
Remember when Brock punched Misty IN THE HEAD?

That was awesome. I cheered and cried manly tears.

Besides that, HOW are Brock's advances any worse then Johnny Bravo's?

And despite the summary not mention her I still hope she'll be in DP58 ... I guess we'll have to wait a week for 58's VA list to find out
She probably won't. I mean, it's not like her and Nosepass goes hand-in-hand. We didn't even see it's FACE in the whole 5 seconds it appeared, and I mean...that's like his whole focus lost.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I do not really seen a reason why the writers should get rid of their cash cow, which is what Ash is. I think there are only two things sure in Pokémon anime, Ash and Team Rocket. They definitely will be here until Pokémon anime will be ended or cancelled.

Actually Ash isn't there cash cow, Pikachu is. They could easily has the new guy start off with a Pikachu. It's not like Ash's Pikachu's only memorable quirk is it being a duex ex machina with Volt Tackle.

Say what you will, but Ash is the most recognizable human character in Pokemon.

They could have technically written Ash out at the end of Battle Frontier, but chose not to. I mean, everything was setting up for closure. Ash returning to his home region, essentially bringing the show full circle, and he was battling Brains that were said to be almost as strong as Elite 4 members.

They could have technically started the D/P series brand new with Dawn and the male D/P trainer, but brought Ash and Brock back for the billionth time.

Its for this reason I don't think we'll see the end of Ash or Team Rocket until either the voice actors completely quit or the show actually becomes *gasp* plot-driven. Brock I can see leaving at some point, however, or maybe that's just wishful thinking. *shrugs*

I think that Ash will leave after the 4th Gen, he might face the Elite 4 that's been foreshadowed, and his story will be wrapped up. I also think that Dawn will stay, because she's a bigger part of the anime than May was(Misty doesn't count). It would be a fresh start with a slightly older Max, Dawn, and maybe the 5th Gen boy to do Contests instead of the girl.
This would be the best Pokémon ever. It has a .2 chance of happening, but I still love this general idea

Besides that, HOW are Brock's advances any worse then Johnny Bravo's?
Johnny's are funnier D:

She probably won't. I mean, it's not like her and Nosepass goes hand-in-hand. We didn't even see it's FACE in the whole 5 seconds it appeared, and I mean...that's like his whole focus lost.

I know it's not likely... but we can hope

And Pokémon can continue without Ash... let's not get into that again
We should wait and see what will happen after DP

Of course, generally speaking, if you're not a fan of the character and you really dislike him, then it's easy for you to want him gone. ^^;

Personally, since he's the main character of the show, I think it would just seem weird without Ash being there. The Pokemon anime continuing on without Ash? That would be unthinkable to most people, which is why I agree with Scott85 on this subject.

But anyway, yes Piplup, let's NOT get into this again.... X_X

I'm an Ash fangirl, and to me, the thought of him leaving sounds almost as bad as the VA switch.

What they should do is to introduce a new, female rival-esque character to the series, one old enough for Takeshi to actually pursue, who would be appearing every once in a while. Her connection to the group isn't that important - make her Satoshi's or Hikari's rival or whatever, but a character Takeshi will be meeting at a somewhat regular basis, one who doesn't turn him down completely, and whom he can focus his attention on. It would really improve his character.

Brock's too young for Pike Queen Lucy? And no, let's rule out Soledad.

As for the previous post, if the writers won't return Lucy, I might as well settle for Honoka. Who knows, her jealousy for the Joys might get extended to the Jennies, should they bring her back.

Brock's too young for Pike Queen Lucy? And no, let's rule out Soledad.

A frontier brain fra Kanto and an establshed rival to a character we won't see much of ever again... no, that won't work. We need someone new.

Personally, I voted for him to stay, since I'm hoping that keeping him around for so long is on purpose. After all, I remember a graphic for the DP saga that has a very large Brock (with mirror shades) looking like he's plotting something above the rest of the characters. Yes, he's stale -- but so is Ash (with the exception of the brilliant grass gym battle). Hell, IMO Dawn was stale from the get-go, since the Contest hopeful thing has already been done. The poison stab gag is only interesting because the little purple toad always has the same expression, yet we learn that it REALLY REALLY likes Brock, which must weird him out, given his strange expressions all the time.

I hit the wrong option. T.T
Brock needs to stay, unless we have a character who's going to have to mimic his every activity. Which, believe me, will feel even more boring.

Tracey didn't mimick Brock's every activity, but I can see why people didn't find him too exciting.

I still find it mind boggling that some of you think the writers can't create a good new male sidekick these days. It isn't that hard to create some new guy with an interesting personality, and at least it would bring a breath of fresh air to the group.

The original characters don't hold a "monopoly" on the fandom. If the writers managed to successfully replace Misty with two girls who became just as popular in the fanbase as she was, then I'm sure they can replace Brock with a character with similar results. Tracey only lasted for like 32 episodes so he never had a chance to get as popular as the other characters.

If they actually keep a character for a long duration so he doesn't fall a fate similar to Tracey's, I'm sure a new male sidekick would become more popular than Brock in the fandom.

Last edited:
Wait, Ash went through the Orange Islands without Brock, and he managed to survive. He didn't starve or need a motherfigure then. So who cooked and cleaned in the Orange Islands? I'm pretty sure Tracey didn't, so was it a group effort?

Boom. All of Brock's duties can be done without Brock. Just put a new sidekick in there and he, Ash, and the 5th Gen girl can pretty much survive if they do what everyone did in the Orange Islands, everyone cooks and cleans as a group effort.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom