• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

• Yes - Evolving during a battle would be much more exciting

Votes: 166 73.5%
  • No - Evolving after a battle is much more exciting

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
I think it would be pretty cool. I mean, pokemon can level up in battle, they can learn new moves in battle, why not this?

I remember playing Gale of Darkness, I had my Snorunt Yuyu use powder snow, or icy wind, or whatever that weak one is. Before its turn to attack, my other Pokemon on the field had KO'd an opponent, and Yuyu reached the level to learn Ice Beam, which I put in place of icy snow powder wind. Upon her turn to attack, it was awesome to see an ice beam rather than a weak bit of snowflakes.

So yeah, I think it'd be AMAZING to just be fighting along, and all of a sudden, BAM! I'm no longer fighting with a Patrat, but a Watchog!

...jk, who uses patrat?

I can see it working if the Pokémon in question is an active Pokémon, but what about benched Pokémon? There might not be anything wrong with it mechanically, but it'll be an odd event to see happen.

It would be so awesome to see this happen when against other trainers or gym leaders, as long as It's not overdone. Like battling a Mudkip who evolves into a Marshtomp, so players who went in with an Electric type would have to replan. And in personal situations, the players would be so ecstaic if they were about to lose, only to have their pokémon evolve and make a comeback. Things like that are epic moments you would only expect in the anime.

If they implement this, I'd like it to be the other way around too: For example you fight one Gym leader and one of their Pokemon (maybe the main one) only needs 1 EXP to reach the next level. When it defeats one of your party members, it will evolve mid-battle. Epic. ^^

I personally like the fact that Pokemon evolve after battle because it would be a huge distraction for both trainers if you had to halt the battle to watch a Pokemon evolve. Also, if your Pokemon can evolve in the middle of battle than whose to say that your opponent's Pokemon can't evolve in the middle of battle? It would also be incredibly overpowered, and I don't use that word very often, and would discourage actually training for trainer battles.

I've been thinking, and I think there may be a flaw with this idea.

OK, first I'll just repeat, that one of the main reasons I DON'T like this idea is because I wouldn't want the opponent's Pokemon to be able to evolve during battle, too. But I think that might just be the flaw:

So everyone seems to suggest that if you evolve mid-battle, you could turn the tide and win. Which is good and all, but what if you don't? The opponent's Pokemon evolved and you lose. So, if it's a Gym Leader, or even a random trainer, you'll have to go back and fight them to progress, right? So in this case...

Does their Pokemon "devolve" back into its form before you initially battled it (so that the trainer/leader has the team they originally had) or does it stay evolved? I mean, if it evolved and you go back and it devolved, that wouldn't make much sense (unless they just happened to have another of that same Pokemon on them to replace the evolved on with). And if it stays the same, that just seems like a whole bunch of extra stuff they have to put in the game for every trainer with a Pokemon that can evolve.

Maybe I'm just looking too much into this or maybe I'm totally wrong, but I personally think we should just leave evolution for after battles.

I've been thinking, and I think there may be a flaw with this idea.

OK, first I'll just repeat, that one of the main reasons I DON'T like this idea is because I wouldn't want the opponent's Pokemon to be able to evolve during battle, too. But I think that might just be the flaw:

So everyone seems to suggest that if you evolve mid-battle, you could turn the tide and win. Which is good and all, but what if you don't? The opponent's Pokemon evolved and you lose. So, if it's a Gym Leader, or even a random trainer, you'll have to go back and fight them to progress, right? So in this case...

Does their Pokemon "devolve" back into its form before you initially battled it (so that the trainer/leader has the team they originally had) or does it stay evolved? I mean, if it evolved and you go back and it devolved, that wouldn't make much sense (unless they just happened to have another of that same Pokemon on them to replace the evolved on with). And if it stays the same, that just seems like a whole bunch of extra stuff they have to put in the game for every trainer with a Pokemon that can evolve.

Maybe I'm just looking too much into this or maybe I'm totally wrong, but I personally think we should just leave evolution for after battles.

That would be an issue, if your opponents ever gained experience. It can be safe to assume that being as no NPC trainer has ever even leveled up in battle (including those that you have on your team in doubles) that they therefore wouldn't be able to evolve mid-battle either. I think most people that are pro-mid battle evolutions only want it for pokemon that evolve via level up (including those that require to hold and item and level up, such as Gligar), not by stone or other methods, therefore meaning that no NPC player would be able to evolve their pokemon mid-battle. Remember, all NPC rosters are set, yours is the only one in game that will change, so it makes sense then that your team would be the only one to evolve mid-battle.

If they implement this, I'd like it to be the other way around too: For example you fight one Gym leader and one of their Pokemon (maybe the main one) only needs 1 EXP to reach the next level. When it defeats one of your party members, it will evolve mid-battle. Epic. ^^

I agree. But not only with Gym leaders. All opponents should have that chance. Te game would be harder and more exiting and fun.

If it ever were to be implemented, which I cannot ever see happening, the trainers with evolvable pokemon would be limited at best. The game also really doesn't make note of if you lose to characters. You white out and lose some money, but the next time you go back to them they say the exact same thing. They'd need to change that around so you don't go back to rechallenge a gym leader and their pokemon miraculously devolved. Probably not too hard, but it's work I don't really see them wanting to do.

I generally don't see how a trainer's pokemon evolving would be such a great new challenge. It just wouldn't. Unless some kid's Dratini on route 2 miraculously evolves into a Dragonite, I don't think the boost in stats would be too much to worry about.

What really needs to happen is the reimplementation of the Vs. Seeker and letting you rechallenge gym leaders again. Playing against leveled up teams may actually provide a bit of a challenge.

I personally like the fact that Pokemon evolve after battle because it would be a huge distraction for both trainers if you had to halt the battle to watch a Pokemon evolve. Also, if your Pokemon can evolve in the middle of battle than whose to say that your opponent's Pokemon can't evolve in the middle of battle? It would also be incredibly overpowered, and I don't use that word very often, and would discourage actually training for trainer battles.

I do not believe NPC Characters will mind too much that your Pokemon are evolving mid battle, I'm sure they'll be okay with it. Unless you're referring to battles with real players, in which case there would be no mid battle evolution, as Pokemon do not earn EXP points during battle.

If it ever were to be implemented, which I cannot ever see happening, the trainers with evolvable pokemon would be limited at best. The game also really doesn't make note of if you lose to characters. You white out and lose some money, but the next time you go back to them they say the exact same thing. They'd need to change that around so you don't go back to rechallenge a gym leader and their pokemon miraculously devolved. Probably not too hard, but it's work I don't really see them wanting to do.

I generally don't see how a trainer's pokemon evolving would be such a great new challenge. It just wouldn't. Unless some kid's Dratini on route 2 miraculously evolves into a Dragonite, I don't think the boost in stats would be too much to worry about.

What really needs to happen is the reimplementation of the Vs. Seeker and letting you rechallenge gym leaders again. Playing against leveled up teams may actually provide a bit of a challenge.

The best way to do it would be only your pokemon evolving during battles, not the NPC opponent's. I could imagine that working well, although it isn't a necessary feature to implement, and I do not believe we'll be seeing mid battle evolutions, although I do feel it would be quite an interesting feature if done correctly.

I'd be okay with it as long as NPCs pokemon don't evolve. I know there's always, ALWAYS that one gym leader or NPC with pokemon that are just a cut above yours. That one person you'll lose to several times before deciding to level grind. The last thing I need is for their pokemon to evolve and make me even more useless against them.

I selected "Other" on the poll. Because honestly, even if they make the idea work, it would still be an anime inspired gimmick that would get really old really fast due to how the games run themselves:

- On one side, this can be a quick "get it here and now" move for Pokemon w/Level Up evolutions. Honestly, the only ones I can see ever being affected by such an idea. Hopefully you'd be given an option to do it as well. (Or just an option to turn off the option on your side within the Game Settings period).

- If done well enough, it'll be a real treat for younger players and those who are tickled by the idea. Games are meant to be fun after all.

- On the other side, It doesn't make battles "more exciting", any battle can be exciting if you were unprepared/under-leveled/playing under a certain meta challenge and are really getting into it. And again, outside Level-Up Evolutions (the majority anyway) and the smaller "Love 'em lots then let then gain a level" styles, I don't see this idea working on any other style.
To be honest, I'd be annoyed if someone had the gall to Stone Evo their monster in the middle match regardless of who challenged whom.

- As already noted, I can't see many enemy trainers being able to carry this. And for really strong opponents like Gym Leaders, it'd be something done sparingly. This brings another question: How would enemy trainers get to EVO when they don't have their own level-up mechanic ala various SRPGs?
The only honest to goddess only time I can see it being used is during a "final 'mon left" "first send-out intimidation" tactic. Maybe even a halfway point to act as a mood changer but it's not something you want running all the time since it'll lose its "charm". It's not double battles you know.

I like the idea of pokemon evolving during battles, but the thing is that I know I would be furious if I ever lost because of that. I do want to see the animation of evolving a pokemon during battle, though. Maybe there could be an option or something in the beginning of the game where you could choose difficulty or something, that way I have no one but myself to blame if I lose. But using rare candy or evolution stones in the middle of a battle would be cheating in my opinion. If the pokemon could only evolve getting exp. during battle, I think it'd be a pretty decent feature.

Right, so people who favor evolving during battle would like:

- evolve only by exp level up. No evolution items.
- opponents can't evolve during battle. Only the player's pokemon can.
- evolve when the opponent has fainted, and when the pokemon has leveled up.
- other

Main reason for liking the idea:
- anime-style action. Chance to overcome battles with upgraded power.
- evolve immediately so the pokemon doesn't skip any moves.
- other

if the enemys pokemon evolved that would be catastrophic for us so not a good idea really :/

unless theres no items to help evolution just exp.

Lol. This is ironic now.
Lol, I just thought that. I guess they actually included the idea of allowing evolution during battle after all, even if it's something that I really didn't expect.

Though, mega-evolution does show that evolving during battle can happen, and it might not be long before we actually see the regular evolutions happening during battles.

Lol. This is ironic now.
Lol, I just thought that. I guess they actually included the idea of allowing evolution during battle after all, even if it's something that I really didn't expect.

Though, mega-evolution does show that evolving during battle can happen, and it might not be long before we actually see the regular evolutions happening during battles.

Maybe in the next gen, if a Pokemon levels up to a level during a battle, instead of the evolution happening after the battle, it happens right there.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom