• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want to see the original Kanto episodes remade?

Pidgeot

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Seeing as the Pokemon anime is nearing its 15th birthday, I think they'd ought to celebrate it in some way, right? So, I think the original 82 Kanto episodes, should be remade with the quality of animation that the anime has right now, while maintaining the script, voices and music.

Who agrees with me, who doesn't, and who would want other things thrown in as well?

God no.

I personally think it would be an absolute waste of time, time which could be devoted animating new, original material. The Kanto episodes aren't exactly lost and hard to find, and well, it isn't as if they've ever left any fan's minds xD

I'd rather they just did an awesome special to celebrate the anniversary which could include elements from every saga, and not just the first one. Something that actually referenced all of the 15 years of the franchise and not just the first one or two.

(I'll also throw in the old animation as one of Kanto's charms.)

Noooo. Aside from that taking a long time that could be spent for something new, I just wish Japan would release the original (and only) Kanto episodes on DVD and/or Blu Ray, and restore the picture quality as well as they can for the duller-looking episodes- well, surely they'd do that for Blu Ray. (But considering the earthquake/tsunami incident last March, would something like "Tentacool and Tentacruel" fly these days in Japan? That's something I've been thinking.)

And I don't know if you meant to do this or not, but 82 Kanto episodes would include the Porygon episode in that count. They act like the episode doesn't exist, so I don't think it's worth wanting that one to be remade.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Gym battle episodes remade to the later standard, but other than that, I don't see the point. It would take far too much time and effort, and I don't want to get nostalgic for the past, I just want the present to be better.

Like Rex Kamex said I would love to see a digital remastering of the original episodes, but asides from that, there would be no point, and there would be either a lot of people who would scream "BETRAYAL!" or at least many people saying "x shouldn't be cut/added because of y", as it happens with every adaptation and remake(Rebuild of Evangelion, Dragon Ball Kai etc.) And if there were to be actual redoing of the series, I can see many people being angered with the facts of:
-"Why there isn't a spinoff of X character that left the show?"
-"Why X is treated like crap/Y is animated horribly when Z is treated marvelously/M is animated gorgeously?"(Be it for the remaking of the episodes, current series or both)
And of course:
-"Is Y from old series canon for the Y in new series?" Which would be an even bigger issue due to Kanto's writing style. Especially so since Takeshi Shudo, previous head writer, was kicked off, and is deceased, and current head writer Atsushiro Tomioka(who apparently had worked on Samurai 7, well, that explains my feelings towards to show for better and worse, mostly for better) has completely different ideas about how the series should run. And even if the head writer is somebody else, he would still have different ideas than Mr. Shudo.

Now, don't get me wrong, Kanto has MANY flaws that I would like to see fixed, but I would prefer more specials focusing on past characters, and Ash's past Pokémon and more episodes that allow the characters to stumble upon their past errors, and do them better with their current knowledge, though given how Natu/Xatu episode in Twinlead arc played out, that might be a bad idea, but I'm still hopeful that it can be done better; than a better written, less problematic, but less emotional and less free reconstruction of Kanto. Maybe except Gary's character since his character mainly worked because of his jerkass attidute, but that would be probably it. And the battles, or rather what few of them there were in Kanto.

I do not want to see them remade. First off, I like the old animation style better than the new style so it would be a downgrade for me, personally. Second, it would be weird having the characters with different voices than the ones I already know. And re-making them would remove a lot of the nostalgia so even if it was better quality and everything, it'd still feel like something was missing.

What I would like to see would be the three banned episodes released on DVD... which I know isn't going to happen but that doesn't stop me from wanting it. Additionally, Beauty and the Beach was dubbed (except for the parts that were cut) and the Porygon episode was dubbed so those two would require little work at all (just add in the deleted scenes to the Beauty and the Beach and try to match the voices... and maybe do a better job removing the Japanese text so it matches the other episodes).

(But considering the earthquake/tsunami incident last March, would something like "Tentacool and Tentacruel" fly these days in Japan? That's something I've been thinking.)
I don't see any reason why not... I mean, people are sensitive about stuff I guess, but that episode had nothing to do with the earthquake / tsunami. Anything that happened in it was pure fiction and the episode itself was made long before the earthquake / tsunami even occured, so its not like they are taking advantage of a real-world tragedy by putting it into a popular show to make a few bucks. It's this kind of thinking that makes them need to change Jynx to purple... people take things and try to connect some completely unrelated meaning to it and then say it can't be shown.

Anyway, if they do re-make the Kanto episodes, there's a few things that I would like to see done differently. First off, (and I posted this in a different topic) put some Pichus in the Pikachu nest in Pikachu's Goodbye and change some of their tails to signify that there are some females. Also, remove certain errors, such as the Mewtwo picture on Bill's house (which shouldn't have been there because no one other than Team Rocket and their contractors even knew about Mewtwo at that time). Change the colouring on that female Butterfree to the official shiny coloration so that it has more meaning. Remove the concept of "there's only 150 known Pokémon and all others are new discoveries" because in the Johto episodes they mention a lot of these "new" Pokémon having always been there so they weren't "new" at all. And that concept doesn't even make sense since #150 is Mewtwo, who no one knew about at the time, so there couldn't have been 150 known species anyway. Also, remove old concepts that were never expanded on, such as when Brock said "you can transfer Pokémon between your party and Prof. Oak's lab by using a button in the Pokédex" which was just ignored in later episodes all together. And they should make a Safari Zone episode, maybe not with all the guns, but they need to show where those Tauros just magically appeared from.

No, they have their own little charm, I wouldn't want to see that messed up.

Everything Iteru said. ^^

Pokémon Smash! is doing a 15th anniversary party for the TV series (with the epicness that is Rica Matsumoto attending! :D), so there's no need for that. Though I would love an Aim to Be a Pokémon Master 2012 intro for the TV series. :p

Heh, Iteru really hit the nail on the head with this one!

There's no reason to remake the old Kanto episodes. They're perfectly fine the way they are and there'd be no point in doing something like that, simple as that. The Kanto episodes have their flaws, sure, but they're better left untouched.

Well I would definitely appreciate if they did something to honor season 1. They probably won't do a whole reanimated season, but it would actually be interesting to see something simple done, such as episode 1 in HD. Still, in respect to those who like the original style better and untouched, I have to agree with most of the others here. In short, I have one line for this; don't fix what ain't broke.

They could do a "best of" clip show for it, but that's it. Remaking all of Kanto's 81/82 episodes is hard and long work and by the time that ends, Pokemon would be celebrating it's 16/17th anniversary anyway. What would be the point if the only thing they did in the remake is just making the animation up-to-date and not touching anything else? I would rather a Kanto DVD box set with retouched video and audio, maybe with some nice small bonus features.

Seconding @Agaçant for "Mezase Pokemon Master 2012"!

Believe it or not, they actually did this already in Japan with the Johto season. There was a Dragonball Z Kai-esque Johto HD remake, with all the filler eliminated.

Here's a link:

On a serious note, I wouldn't mind perhaps if they created some sort of "Best of 15 Years" compilation, like a short mini-movie, where they re-animated (quality animation, not your usual episode) famous scenes throughout the anime or something. Ash and Pikachu escaping the Spearow (which we've seen animated multiple times), Charizard and Aerodactyl battling, vs. Drake, the Red Gyrados Arc, Team Rocket leaving Arbok and Weezing behind, Ash and Masamune rescuing Beldum and Pikachu from Team Rocket, the final Pikachu vs. Regice fight, the Acuity Lake Ash vs. Paul battle, Pikachu vs. Excadrill, etc.

Last edited:
Maybe remake the intro/ending sequences to have them look a little bit nicer, but other than that I wouldn't re-do much.

I don't see the point, other than fuel nostalgic fans about, "Misty and Brock are back in Pokemon!" nonsense. Even though they technically wouldn't be all-new episodes, it would still be new productions with the original trio back together.

I wouldn't like to see it happen. And if the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special was any indication, any type of anniversary special made for the anime is bound to be awful, and I am not even talking about the dub either. Even the Japanese version of Mastermind was nonsensical.

As others have said, hell no, I'd rather see new material.

Well I would definitely appreciate if they did something to honor season 1.

I don't see why they should honor Kanto alone. They're celebrating 15 years of the Animé, they should honor all 15 years of the Animé. I never understood the idea that the production should treat the very beginning of the series as if it was more important or more significant than what came after.

No. and No. It's only for nostalgia. Of course I love Kanto-Ash being cute and kiddy, but we can always just rewatch the series, not see it remade. The only difference would be the quality of graphics anyways.

I never understood the idea that the production should treat the very beginning of the series as if it was more important or more significant than what came after.
That's because it is more important. If the first season was never made then no other seasons would have been made either (even if this first season wasn't made and they started in Johto or something... it would still have a first season) and the reason it's more important is because if the first season failed miserably then no one would even consider airing a newer season, even if it was better. The pilot (if one existed) would be the most important of all, because if the TV stations didn't like it or didn't think it would do well then we wouldn't have even gotten a first season.
But I agree, they shouldn't just focus on a single season in order to celebrate 15 years of something.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom