• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does Iris have the potential for another series?

I honestly can't see any possible reason Iris and Axew would be kept when we're in a new generation.

Unless they quite literally pull a Johto, and have Gen 6 be a sequel to Gen 5 just like how Gen 2 was to Gen 1.

But hopefully they won't do that. I'd rather pretend like Best Wished was a sort of an alternate universe that never happened. Which means that Iris will leave and join Drayden at the end of the series and Ash will move on like nothing ever happened.

Axew not evolving soon means nothing serious really. He'll likely become a Haxorus near the very last episodes of Best Wishes I imagine.

Georgia will probably appear a bit more and I do think Iris will get another pokemon eventually. But overall yeah, it does seem like she's not going to do much till the 8th Gym.

I also have a hard time seeing Iris and Cilan splitting up. The writers treat them as a set.

Personally i see more potential for Bianca as a travel companion than for Iris.
Cilan being the tidy/organized one and Bianca being the opposite.

Iris has seen very little development and seems to be around for taunting. Up until now she has always considered Ash a "Kid" and she had a pokemon which could wreck Ash's team.

With the win of the Boulder badge and the defeat of an excadril by Ash there is a small chance that Iris will get off that high horse and begin some sort of development.

Time will tell, but for now i see very little prospect for another season with Iris.

There's a pretty high chance that Iris is just going to stay behind with Drayden when she leaves. I can't really see her doing anything else.

Gliscor'd said:
Cilan has more appeal than Iris.
How is this? Is it because he's voiced by a popular VA in Japan? Or is it because he's a fan favorite? Not trying to make this about Cilan, but compared to Iris I don't see how he has so much more potential to stay over Iris. IMO, she is just as expendable as he is.

He's much more dynamic. Iris kind of reminds me of Max in a way. The potential is there but her limited goal and Pokemon don't do her any favors.

The writers tried their best with Max despite having no Pokemon and Iris' Pokemon have all become stagnant that there's nothing to get excited about.

He's much more dynamic. Iris kind of reminds me of Max in a way. The potential is there but her limited goal and Pokemon don't do her any favors.

The writers tried their best with Max despite having no Pokemon and Iris' Pokemon have all become stagnant that there's nothing to get excited about.

How does she remind you of Max? He was an annoying little brat with NO pokemon to promote who served no other purposes outside of being a navigator (which rendered Brock irrelevant in that field) sibling interaction with May, and giving Brock a sense of existence or prescence on the show.

When Iris assists in navigation, she takes a natural approach like sticking her finder in the air to read wind patters. That, or she'll look at some tree moss or something like that. So their approach in that regard is totally different. Don't know how you came up with the Max comparison. Seems like that came out of thin air.

Re: Does Iris have the potential for another season?

Can't see her in another series. First few episodes I watched, and Iris and I became enemies. Shows how much different we are and the reason why I prefer new changes through out every region.

How does she remind you of Max? He was an annoying little brat with NO pokemon to promote who served no other purposes outside of being a navigator (which rendered Brock irrelevant in that field) sibling interaction with May, and giving Brock a sense of existence or prescence on the show.

When Iris assists in navigation, she takes a natural approach like sticking her finder in the air to read wind patters. That, or she'll look at some tree moss or something like that. So their approach in that regard is totally different. Don't know how you came up with the Max comparison. Seems like that came out of thin air.

So in other words, both Max and Iris share an annoying gimmick, navigational skills, and main interaction with one person? Never mind that a Pokégear is superior to nature on account of being technology, but I digress...

But yes, Iris happens to be one of the 8.4 trillion Pokémon characters who, in fact, has a Pokémon, which clearly means that Max was terrible and awful for daring not to have one and follow the majority.

I doubt it. Brock only stayed on the simple basis that you need someone to explain Pokemon attacks and act as a caretaker. It would take a while for Cilan to be created.

With Iris...there's no point. She only advertises BW, is not even a playable character in the games, and she's not a co-star and arguably has the smallest role of all 4 female protagonists in the show.

Back in the Johto days, there was also nobody to replace Misty with, as Marina wouldn't exist for more than 2 years after it started. With Iris, there are now plenty of viable female replacements.

Potential for another series? Uh, I'm not seeing it. She doesn't give advice to Ash or the others like Brock did, she just calls them "Kids". And her Pokemon are not getting the battle screentime they deserve. I think even Cilan is getting better treatment. But the only way I can see her again is if they can change her attitude a bit and bring back Georgia so she can have that potential that seems to be missing right now.

Last edited:
It all depends on writers,and if they decide to keep her.People can say how "Iris is used up,doesnt have potential left"etc,but such artificial reasons can be fixed if pokemon staff decides to prolong character journey being in end their call.

Yes with current situation with Iris not having any struggles and obstacles to overcome,along with her goal going nowhere at this point being at standstill gives out impression how character cant exist for one more region.However there is no limit in how much you can develop someone,and writers could develop new subplots around Iris character,add more substance to story and introduce flaws which they didnt addressed before to give Iris enough stamina and justification to last past Unova.

If Cilan is kept,than Iris chances of staying exponentially grows because logically writers would probably want to treat them as set.

Personally i believe Iris has in theory potential to last for one more region.I doubt her goal of dragon master only involves evolving Axew and there probably exist some other tasks her character needs to pass,to prove her worth and skills as trainer.I could see her after rematch with Drayden,continuing on next region to learn new things and improve skills as trainer.Especially if writers give her new pokemon(preferably dragon type),take somewhere rivalry with Langley and create obstacles where Iris would finally slip doing mistakes,opening room to grow and learn on her miss plays gaining something out of it.

Its still not late,but at the end of the day only chance for Iris to stay past BW is if writers expand her story and take character in some direction.

Back in the Johto days, there was also nobody to replace Misty with, as Marina wouldn't exist for more than 2 years after it started. With Iris, there are now plenty of viable female replacements.

Its not that simple.Back than pokemon anime followed completely different formula with writers not being much open toward character changes like its case now.Thats main difference between than and current BW series when it comes to Iris stay.
Judging by Brock return to cast and anime operating on completely different level,even if Johto had playable heroine Misty would still likely stay for that saga.Judging by mr.Shudo blogs they even considered at one point to keep Misty for Hoenn and replace TR instead,with writers being very careful about character cycling during that time.Which in start seemed good,but with time showed to b mistake imo affecting negatively continuity and past characters.

If Iris was introduced in original series she would had a whole lot bigger chance to stay for next region,because anime back than followed different set of rules with writers being more prone toward having permanent and stable cast.If it wasnt for poor writing in Johto and drop of ratings anime would be different a lot from what it is today.

I think she does have the potential to stay with Ash at least until the 6th Generation. As for her Axew you guys think I might be crazy but I think her Axew is not going to evolve or just isn't gonna want to here is my reasoning he's never in his Pokéball just like Pikachu and Dawn's Piplup I mean there meant to be cute sidekick Pokémon now I might be wrong but what do guys think about this. As for Cilan I truly would hate if he made it to the 6th Generation Pokémon Region I think he should be replaced by a new female character it's always the same formula Ash and a Male and Female companion how about 2 females they should mix it up a bit.

Last edited:
Simple answer: NO. People would probably get sick of her. I can see Cilan staying though, since his personality is more... I dunno, right for that.

I have no real problem with Iris, but I barely see her lasting Best Wishes, much less a new series. She has no real schtick of her own, like Dawn or May doing contests, so it just feels like she's there simply to make sure we know that Ash is "such a little kid." Plus, it seems like she has a lot of haters, and her sticking around would go against the established "new series, new female companion" trend that's been going on for so long now.

Considering the writers are pretty much ignoring her and favoring Cilan, I don't see how anyone could think she would last longer than her time.

Honestly at this point it feels like Iris is playing the smallest role for a female protagonist in the entire series. She doesn't have a big role like May, she's not a co-star like Dawn, and even Misty was more important to the early storyline than what she is in BW.

I never thought I'd say this, but I feel as if Iris is the least important female character of the show.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom