• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

So how is she refered to? do they just call her Satoshi's Mother?

They should restore the episode, redub it (to correct the 4-kids flaws) and pack it as an easter egg on a future dvd release!

Last edited:
So Delia was never referred to by Hanako, period?

So... she was also called Satoshi's Mother by Professor Oak in the second movie as well?

If that's so, then that's certainly news to me.

Since we now know that the Porta Vista in Beauty and the Beach and Tentacool and Tentacruel, do you suppose they are neighboring towns (Similar to Celadon and Saffron Cities? or East/West Berlin, technically speaking?)

So... she was also called Satoshi's Mother by Professor Oak in the second movie as well?

Yep, just checked - he refers to her as "Satoshi no mama-san", which sounds... really weird. Having him refer to her by her name is one of the better changes the dub made.

Something I found odd about the dub

From Dogasu's Backpack:
Originally, Takeshi's mom didn't pass away. She, like her husband, simply abandoned the family. I guess 4Kids didn't want Brock to have two deadbeat parents, so they killed one of them off

I mean, there's millions of kids who have deadbeat parents/families, so I don't get why 4Kids would make an edit like this. But then again, there's millions of kids who have only one parent

I guess they thought that one scene in "Showdown in Pewter City" would be way more sad if they wrote that into the script.

Anyway, I don't know why they originally said that Brock's mom was dead in the dub. But oh well, changes like that don't bother me.... ^^;

Extremely old news. For things like this, please search for the thread that was created for the episode in question and post it there. The no-bumping general rule doesn't apply to episode discussion threads unless the bump is pure spam.

edit: Merged with the Dogasu's Backpack thread, since there is no thread for that episode, and Dogasu is currently doing Kanto episodes.

Last edited:
Dogasu, this might be going into the past a bit, but why did you say the last contest with Squirtle Vs. Banette was an unfair win?
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/battle_frontier/ep176.html

I've agreed with your views on all of May's other contest battles over the years, but not this one. I just rewatched this battle today and I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. The point bar didn't do anything crazy, Squirtle did not take that much damage without giving damage back to Banette, and it came right down to the wire. You also didn't mention its the only contest in the series that came down to Sudden Death, and even in the overtime the battle was a back and forth brawl with no weird things happening.

If you still have the episode, I suggest you rewatch the last battle part, because I think like how you're re-doing some Kanto comparisons and editing away old things, your opinion part of this one should be as well. Perhaps you just had the fandom's view on the pokemon altering your judgment at the time from what was actually a good battle?

I'm just curious what you think.

Yep, just checked - he refers to her as "Satoshi no mama-san", which sounds... really weird. Having him refer to her by her name is one of the better changes the dub made.

I fully agree with this. I mean, it's one thing to have a character, give them a name, and just not have an opportunity to *say* those names (several movie characters come to mind*), but to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to AVOID saying the name of a recurring character where she would naturally BE addressed? Everyone else's parents got names, those who get shown anyway. This'd be like if Yuri called Ayako "Hikari no mama-san" all the time--like Delia and Oak, they've known each other for years as well.

(*on a note about movie characters with unsaid names, remember how no one could figure out who this "David" guy that Yamadera was credited as playing in 3 was? According to my movie guide, he's the mansion's butler)

EP20 comparison
"Let's go on the ferris wheel!"
Lol, I suppose that is pretty sad. Repeating it is pretty lame, dubbers.

On the other hand, about hiding the fact that the show is Japanese...I suppose there are kids out that who aren't aware that Pokémon is Japanese. Also, dubbers probably cover up the Japanese characters so kids won't be lost as to what they say. Still, getting rid of the festival and culture references is kinda unnecessary...(but actually, kids probably won't know what the ofuda strips are, so calling them anti-ghost stickers is somewhat acceptable)

Octopus and mongoose...lots of references to non-Pokemon (at first anyways) animals.

What I find funny is that nowadays Japanese food *is* international food...at least in this part of the world it is. You can get sushi, soba, and tempura at any grocery store, even the really crappy ones.

Although I don't think, with the prevalance of McDonalds in Japan, that having Satoshi like hamburgers is taking away from his Japaneseness or making him "ashamed".

Again, I like the varied flavor (meaning that literally here!) that drawing from sources other than Japan brings. Although also again, it'd be nice for them to *include* Japan more often. (I think at Ash's party at the end of Kanto didn't they have takoyaki, burgers, and pasta? That was a nice mix...and showed Delia's massive cooking skillz!)

I agree that "stickers" make sense. It fits with the wackyness of the "old woman" considering she's not entirely there. And they *did* stick right on so they had to have some manner of adhesive...

Although the penny edit makes no sense even if the series took place in a region meaning to represent the US considering that no region uses American money. If they have the programming skills to edit in a penny, they have the programming skills to edit in something that looks original, because for pete's sake, that symbol they use in the English editions of the games isn't $.

Well, ok, they do have a Japanese-like festival. But then again, It's not really the same japanese festival (as the festival in real life begins at the beginning of the summer, not at the end of it as the episode implies.).

Speaking of Japanese-like customs, didn't Ganondorf wear a yukata during the events of "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker"? I mean, he wasn't Japanese at all (as a matter of fact, Hyrule, or in this case, the Great Sea, wasn't supposed to be Japan at all.), yet they had him wearing the yukata, anyways. Heck, he even wielded those Samurai-blades (I don't really know what they're called.).

Also, in regards to the scene where Misty is holding up a cross, there's actually a simple explaination for that (as well as the possibility of her being christian.)

I mean, yes, it's far more likely that it was for Vampire references, however hear me out on this one.

when Vampires were believed to exist, people often carry the Crucifix (in other words, the cross) because, since Vampires were creatures of Hell, and part of Satan's army, as well.

This was especially prevalent. in Bram Stroker's Dracula (the book, not the movie), since the plot had the main character being agnostic (I heard "Protestant", but it seemed more like atheism to me.), and said main character being disgusted at several people (supposed to be catholics) giving the character crucifixes. However, it's eventually realized by the main character what these objects mean, and then, in the end, seals up his daughters in the crucifix.

now with that history lesson aside, you can fully realize the significance of Crosses in regards to fighting Vampires.

Although the penny edit makes no sense even if the series took place in a region meaning to represent the US considering that no region uses American money. If they have the programming skills to edit in a penny, they have the programming skills to edit in something that looks original, because for pete's sake, that symbol they use in the English editions of the games isn't $.

Heh. They wanted to make the series more "internationally acceptable" by replacing a Japanese coin with an American one. Really, no kids outside the US knows what the hell a penny looks like either (hell, they're probably more familiar with the word "yen" than "penny", too), so it's not like the 4Kids censors (and their pun-happy writers) give two shits about the international dubs of their work any more than the Japanese people who wrote these episodes in the first place.

Also, in regards to the scene where Misty is holding up a cross, there's actually a simple explaination for that (as well as the possibility of her being christian.)

......WHAT? And the stake and hammer would indicate what denomination then?

I mean, yes, it's far more likely that it was for Vampire references, however hear me out on this one.

*humors you for the lulz*

when Vampires were believed to exist, people often carry the Crucifix (in other words, the cross) because, since Vampires were creatures of Hell, and part of Satan's army, as well.

1--what's this "when" business? My mom's side of the family is Romanian; I can tell you flat out tons of people believe in vampires.
2--you don't have to tell us what a crucifix is. Only an idiot who lives in a cave with their eyes shut and their fingers in their ears doesn't know that crucifix=cross. If they have a rudimentary understanding of English language enough to use this board, they'll know that. You may as well explain what "creatures" means.

This was especially prevalent. in Bram Stroker's Dracula (the book, not the movie), since the plot had the main character being agnostic (I heard "Protestant", but it seemed more like atheism to me.), and said main character being disgusted at several people (supposed to be catholics) giving the character crucifixes. However, it's eventually realized by the main character what these objects mean, and then, in the end, seals up his daughters in the crucifix.

now with that history lesson aside, you can fully realize the significance of Crosses in regards to fighting Vampires.

...AND HOW IN THE WORLD DOES THAT CONTRADICT "far more likely that it was for Vampire references"?

WHAT WAS THE POINT OF CARRYING ON LIKE THAT? WHAT WAS THE POINT OF WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME?

God DAMN it. Your first two paragraphs made so much SENSE too! And then it's all ruined by blathering on about vampires!

Great comparison. And don't worry; you do your school stuff. We'll be here when you get a break and update.

Just one request: Make a big deal about Butterfree not dying in the next comparison. I don't know how it came about, but I know Butterfree was flying off to its death. I always wondered how that rumor got started.

Happy Halloween Dogasu.

I always wondered how that rumor got started.

I believe the mindset went something like this:

1) American dubbed anime is censored to hell and beyond.
2) The Japanese version of Pokemon is filled with swearing, violence and death, since it's anime, and those are genre staples.
3) Bugs die when they mate. Some of them, at least
4) Butterfree was never seen again after this episode, and a big deal was made of it leaving.
5) Obviously, Butterfree would die after mating and stupid 4Shits ruined the episode by censoring that out.

Throw in the fact that barely anyone were watching the series in Japanese and posting about it on English forums at the time, and such things were taken at face value. I mean, it wouldn't be reported as true if it wasn't true, would it?

Another similiar rumor I remember circulating back then was Kasumi confessing her love to Satoshi in the first movie, followed by them kissing, shortly before Mewtwo's mindwipe erased their knowledge of it. Stupid 4Kids censored that out too, turning the movie into a dumb children's movie rather than properly dubbing the M-rated awesomeness that was the original.

I believe the mindset went something like this:

1) American dubbed anime is censored to hell and beyond.

I can understand how they might think that due to DBZ and "Beauty and the Beach", but why the majority of pokemon other than it's an anime.

2) The Japanese version of Pokemon is filled with swearing, violence and death, since it's anime, and those are genre staples.

3) Bugs die when they mate. Some of them, at least

True, but then again, considering how Pikachu has lived over at least 12 years (that's not even counting the unknown amount of months/years Pikachu was at Professor Oak), I'm not too certain that same thing applies to Pokemon.

4) Butterfree was never seen again after this episode, and a big deal was made of it leaving.

Well, technically, we did see it again in "Spurt", and flashbacks from it's capture and release happened in Yanmega's debut episode and Aaron episode, respectively.

5) Obviously, Butterfree would die after mating and stupid 4Shits ruined the episode by censoring that out.

Let me guess... Mistranslated Japanese Green pokedex entry?

Throw in the fact that barely anyone were watching the series in Japanese and posting about it on English forums at the time, and such things were taken at face value. I mean, it wouldn't be reported as true if it wasn't true, would it?

Err... that logic doesn't compute, since you implied that people wouldn't lie about something like this, and yet you also implied in that same paragraph that people who instigated the rumor lied about it's death.

Another similiar rumor I remember circulating back then was Kasumi confessing her love to Satoshi in the first movie, followed by them kissing, shortly before Mewtwo's mindwipe erased their knowledge of it. Stupid 4Kids censored that out too, turning the movie into a dumb children's movie rather than properly dubbing the M-rated awesomeness that was the original.

Wait, how is confessing and kissing R-rated material? I mean, if they were making out, and reappeared in an embarrassing situation like... well... something I shouldn't mention because of the kids on here, I'd understand that. But... Kissing? (laughs) If that was the case, why is stuff like "The Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin", "Cinderella", "Robin Hood", and "Sleeping Beauty" rated "G" (since all of them involve kissing.)?

Err... that logic doesn't compute, since you implied that people wouldn't lie about something like this, and yet you also implied in that same paragraph that people who instigated the rumor lied about it's death.

Sarcasm, even when made obvious through emphasis, always works on the internet. Maybe Adamant should have tried it.

Also the whole ghost proof sticker thing was just stupid. I mean atleast when they used the exact same thing and called it a scroll or whatever in Sailor Moon, I eventually put two and two together and thought "There must be something special about that writing!" I spent the whole episode thinking what a bunch of idiots they were.

So I'm just wondering if the "Ghost repelling stickers" actually had any writing on it edited out.

Last edited:
Great comparison as usual, Dogasu...but there's just a slight error that is admittedly very nitpicky. Ghos's dub name isn't "Ghastly," it's "Gastly." So Ash is actually saying "Well Gastly! Time for a battle!"

Dunno if this is even worth editing, but if you have time it's certainly worth considering.

And yeah, I remember being ten, watching this episode and thinking, "This must be some sort of Japanese festival." So yeah, 4Kids didn't fool me on that. I, however, was fooled by the penny at that age.

Fitting to post the comparison of the first ghost episode on Halloween. XP Even though it's technically an episode about another holiday, but whatever!

Speaking of this episode, anyone else ever wonder what was up with Gastly being able to communicate with the dead? I wonder if all Ghost-types can do that or if it's just this particular Super Gastly.

Also, heads up to Dogasu: maybe it's just my comp, but the pic with the paper lantern boats isn't working for me.

And yeah, Track 31 on the Kanto OST is awesome.

And yeah, I remember being ten, watching this episode and thinking, "This must be some sort of Japanese festival." So yeah, 4Kids didn't fool me on that. I, however, was fooled by the penny at that age.
That edit always confused me. Don't the games just have Pokedollars?

Back
Top Bottom