• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Well, Nyasu was apparently modeled after Muttley from Wacky Races...

And Musashi was largely based on the female Time Bokan villains, who all had a partner who was based off Dick Dastardly.
itadakimasu.png

So there we go!

(well, the Team Rocket trio as a whole were largely based off the Time Bokan villain groups, but Musashi is the only one with a direct equivalent)

...and said villain appears in the upcoming Wii fighter Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars.

So why do you think there's that huge gap between the Sekichiku Gym and the Guren Gym?

...and said villain appears in the upcoming Wii fighter Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars.

So why do you think there's that huge gap between the Sekichiku Gym and the Guren Gym?

For the same reason Satoshi captured Pokemon in four consecutive episodes and they had two to three episode gaps between most of the early Gyms. The writers sucked at pacing themselves in the beginning. They probably wrapped up the Sekichiku episode and were then like "well, crap, what do we now?".

One of them, at least. The different Time Bokan series have different villain trios that all share personalities, voice actors and basic character design.

Yep. That Muttley tidbit and the Musashi one is all awesome stuff I never knew. Pretty damn cool.

I've got a couple reasons:

- Like during Johto, they're probably stretching the time needed for the next big series of games to come out. Why they opted to lengthen it instead of going with a smaller additional arc (ala Orange Islands, Battle Frontier) remains to be seen. But we're still not out of the woods yet so that could also still occur on top of we've got.

- The pacing may have gotten turned around or someone higher up felt that the show needed to be skewed to allow for more plots and stories. Lots of times we'll see the show go reallysuperfast with its plot markers (contests, gyms, evolutions, captures, etc.) and then s l o w d o w n with some of the more expanded fiction (fillers, galactic, in-game plots, tournaments, festivals, etc.). So because of reshuffling and the need to wrap up all their plots in nice packages we get swamped with all this extra stuff in-between. More often than not it's great stuff, but that's how we end up with 30-40+ episodes.

- Some might say travel time as a realistic depiction (for the reason). I'm not on board with that. The gang saunters from one end of the region to the other and then back again, but a lot of that is cut away if it really needs to be. Anything we see and anything we don't see is deliberate, meaning the reason it takes 20 some-odd episodes to get from Ecruteak to Olivine and only 1 episode to travel back from Olivine to Ecruteak is because there was some purpose in fleshing out those experiences. For who? Well, those who enjoy the show I guess.

I'd actually like it if you would point out exactly how many BGM were kept intact out of the total in more of your episode comparisons.

I know this was said over a year ago, but I am working on a project now where I am looking at both versions and seeing how much BGM 4Kids/TCPI kept. So far I've done the first 19 episodes, 143 & 265.

From your Episode 19 Comparison Dogasu
This episode also has an annoyingly high amount of 4Kids background music. I didn't count how many pieces of Japanese music were kept, but it felt like it was on-par with an Advanced Battle-era episode. Ugh.

I just did a music comparison for this episode last night. The Japanese version has 14 pieces of music, and 4kids kept 12 pieces.

Some of the pacing may have been an attempt at representing the game without actually featuring the Rocket plotline. The one episode to go from Saffron to Celadon makes sense in this light.

At this point, though, the lack of water routes suggests they realised they had to think of where they were going and slowed down. There's also the Safari Zone/Christmas episodes/Porygon mess/Togepi introduction/Snap promotions expanding the gap.

Just like in the last episode, Jun calls Kurotsugu "Daddy" (ダディ). Barry, on the other hand, calls him "Dad."

Reasons for this change could range from TPCI wanting Barry to sound less like a little kid to TPCI feeling like the word "daddy" had too many awkward connotations. Or they just felt like changing it and didn't think it would be a big deal.
Odd. Nintendo kept it as-is in Platinum.

Dogasu said:
Y'know, after the snoozefest that was the last Pokeringer episode

Dogasu, do you really not like long battle scenes or something? The Sinnoh Pokeringer had some improvements over the Hoenn one, although I did think the Hoenn one was somewhat funnier and more original, (since that was the first time we were seeing it).

As for skipping the tournament in this Palmer episode, I agree. The tag battle tournament in early DP was great, we should have seen this tournament be 3 episodes similar to that. At first I thought they skipped the tournament so we could get to Sunyshore faster, but that was before we knew it would still take another 15-20 eps to get to Sunyshore. Heh.

I don't like long, boring battles.

The one in this episode was fine. The one in the Pokeringer episode, I thought, dragged on for way too long.

Oh yay, thanks for doing this comparison. I always feel your wit is lost on me when you're doing old comparisons because it's been so long since I've seen them. Hope you keep the season 12 comparisons coming!

Edit: Your Dragonball Z/Pokemon comparison on Facebook was very intriguing. There are a few key differences, though. Like the fact that the Ocean VAs eventually returned to do a second dub of the show following the fans' outcry. Or that 4Kids' dub of Pokemon lasted much longer than the original FUNi/Saban collaboration. Or, apart from the cast, FUNi's dub was arguably a more significant improvement to the overall quality of the show, rather than just a reduction in paint edits. The change in production made the uncut redub of the first 52 episodes more warranted. Whereas a redub of 400 episodes of Pokemon wouldn't change that much, not to mention...

"Rage" wouldn't even begin to describe the emotions the 4Kids fans would feel if such a thing were to happen.

Still, if you don't ridiculously overanlayse it like that - you make a good point about getting over the dub change.

Last edited:
Edit: Your Dragonball Z/Pokemon comparison on Facebook was very intriguing. There are a few key differences, though. Like the fact that the Ocean VAs eventually returned to do a second dub of the show following the fans' outcry.

Wrong. They returned to produce a Canadian dub due to some law stating that x% of Canadian television needs to be Canadian-produced (foreign shows dubbed by Canadians fall under this). This Canadian dub then ended up airing in a couple other English-speaking countries as well for whatever reason.

(oh yeah, and the Pokemon dubs are about a zillion times closer to the original than any of the English Dragonball Z dubs ever were)

Last edited:
Wrong. They returned to produce a Canadian dub due to some law stating that x% of Canadian television needs to be Canadian-produced (foreign shows dubbed by Canadians fall under this). This Canadian dub then ended up airing in a couple other English-speaking countries as well for whatever reason.

Damn CRTC... They also have a regulation saying that so many lines need to refer to Canadian pastimes to make the content more "Canadian" (ex. references to hockey, other Canadian TV shows, etc.); it's culturalism at its finest (well, maybe behind China). That's why there's so little quality Canadian programming. [/rant]

The difference between those is the Pokemon dub had 8 years and 350+ something episodes under its belt, while DBZ had a hackdub of Seasons 1 and 2 and only 52 episodes under its belt.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a PUSA dub of some older stuff though, like the Raikou special and so forth.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a PUSA dub of some older stuff though, like the Raikou special and so forth.

OMG. Couldn't agree more.

With HGSS, they should totally redub Raikou Special.

Not happening, eh. But one can dream.

Yeah the Raikou special is one of 2 Pokemon things that need a redub the first movie being the other.

Thingamajig257 said:
There are a few key differences, though. Like the fact that the Ocean VAs eventually returned to do a second dub of the show following the fans' outcry. Or that 4Kids' dub of Pokemon lasted much longer than the original FUNi/Saban collaboration. Or, apart from the cast, FUNi's dub was arguably a more significant improvement to the overall quality of the show, rather than just a reduction in paint edits. The change in production made the uncut redub of the first 52 episodes more warranted. Whereas a redub of 400 episodes of Pokemon wouldn't change that much, not to mention...

Scott85 said:
The difference between those is the Pokemon dub had 8 years and 350+ something episodes under its belt, while DBZ had a hackdub of Seasons 1 and 2 and only 52 episodes under its belt.

I'm not denying that there are differences between the two. But really, during that big uproar in 2006, I kept thinking "meh...been there, done that."

It really is astonishing how history can repeat itself.

Midnight Blue said:
Are you going to be doing any more opening comparisons?

Eventually, yes.

This is kind of bizarro. "Pokémon Ondo" is an ending theme, which usually means that it wouldn't make it into America and thus would not have to get mutilated by a dubbing company (in other words, it's one of the "safe" aspects of this show that will never have to not be Japanese). Yet, as the two most recent comparisons have demonstrated, the song ended up being used twice in the show proper, and thus did make it into America - and by leaving it alone and not translating it, 4Kids handled it better than PUSA did. (I have to admit, I never thought I'd type that sentence.)

Little contradiction that you might want to know about regarding the status of Shigeru's seiyuu during the Advanced Generation.

From Gotta Catch Ya Later!
Shigeru makes his last appearance in the anime (because his voice actor leaves the show), but before he leaves Satoshi and Shigeru settle their rivalry.

From Putting the Air Back in Aerodactyl!
This episode also disproves that rumor about Shigeru leaving the show because his voice actor (Kobayashi Yuko) quit since she reprises the role for this episode. People still believe the old rumor, though, and I guess it's destined to be one of those things that everyone will continue to spread across the Internet regardless of how many times it's proven to be incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom