• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Here are all the credits as presented in the Japanese version.

That's not really accurate... these credits don't exactly stay static throughout the entire series, changes in staff are made here and there. These particular credits are accurate for all of four episodes, then Kenjiro Ito is replaced by "福永晋" (Shin Fukunaga?)

I didn't mean for you to do that, but surely you know that the anime staff does change every now and then, with no relation to the OP changes. That's why I went and checked in the first place - it seemed logical that this particular staff list wouldn't be accurate for too long, so I checked the most recent episode, and saw there had been several changes, and checked a couple random other episodes to locate the one where the first of these had taken place.

Coincidentally, I checked exactly four episodes. I saw that the credits were the same for all four episodes, so I really didn't see any reason to check for a fifth episode, or a sixth episode, or a seventh episode, or a twentieth episode.

Should I have spot checked some later episodes? Maybe. But I really don't think it's fair to say that my list isn't accurate or to act like I half-assed the thing. I'm sorry if my fact-checking doesn't live up to your standards...I'll try harder in the future.

Also, Musashi...I actually have those episodes on DVD now, so I'll double check that and make an addition to the comparison if needed.

Hey, I'm not trying to insult you here, and I apologize if I gave that impression. I think you did a great job on the comparison, I was just surprised you'd think these credits would stay static throughout all the episodes, that's all.

That supposedly sexist line I thought was pretty funny. I mean, there's the fact that it's amazing that people still think like that anyway, but then there's also the amount of times we've seen Brock with waterfalls streaming from his eyes. Sheesh, talk about your hypocrites.

I'm also reminded of that one lyric from that Spiky eared Pichu ending. ' When she gets lost, she'll start crying because she's a girl of course' or something to that effect?

I have to say, I'm interested in you posting your thoughts on the romanizations of the new Pokemon. You're one of the few people who seem to think Hihidaruma is based off the stove and not the doll, which I greatly agree on since I never saw the Daruma Doll design in it besides the fact it had a slightly similar body shape.

Why is the pride and joy of the Anime Forums falling to the wayside here?! Let's bring back the discussion.

[quote="Flint Sparks the Fire" Review]After Pikachu loses,

Brock: "It was a great battle."
Dawn: "You battled a member of the Elite Four!"

This would be an annoying dialogue change (originally, Hikari congratulates Satoshi for doing so well rather than state the obvious), but in this case, I can only laugh at how Dawn is only just now realizing that her friend fought a member of the Elite Four. I only wish we were privileged enough to witness the moment, hours from now, when Dawn sits up and exclaims that Ash just lost the battle. The looks on Ash's and Brock's faces would be priceless.
[/quote]
C'mon man, you're being awful slap-happy in some of your comments this go-around, especially this one. Basically, Dawn's commenting on the fact that Ash, despite being up against a strong foe like a member of the Elite 4, was able to put up a good fight. It's like saying "you gave a great performance regardless of the odds!" without actually saying that. Said in conjunction with Brock's line, it makes sense.

As for the other stuff, the messages about Sunyshore Tower's importance to the City, the similarities between young Volkner and Ash, and Volkner's gradual warm up to Ash's personality are all still received for dub watchers.

And it's hard to fathom a man or woman who doesn't fancy a good pun. It's quite jolting to say the least.

Dogasu said:
Speaking of soundtracks, I had a thought in regards to the TV Animation Pocket Monsters Original Soundtrack Best 1997-2010; the CD will probably contain Kimi no Mune ni La La La. The song hasn't gotten a CD single release and isn't scheduled to get one anytime soon, and I can't imagine the producers will release one after Best Wishes begins. So, this release may be the only chance we'll have to get this ending theme. This is all speculation, of course, but I think it seems fairly likely.

Actually, cover art has already been released for that song as well as the Band version of Saikou Everyday. It's just a matter of when they'll come out.

You forgot to mention the Sunnyshore Gym resembles the real-life Tower of the Sun. I found that to be a pretty cool cultural inclusion.

Adamant said:
I think you did a great job on the comparison, I was just surprised you'd think these credits would stay static throughout all the episodes, that's all.

Except I didn't, as evident by the fact that I checked four episodes instead of just the one. I have enough sense to check a few episodes before posting a list that I never claimed was all-inclusive in the first place.

I should have checked more, yes. My bad.

Rusty Shackleford said:
I have to say, I'm interested in you posting your thoughts on the romanizations of the new Pokemon. You're one of the few people who seem to think Hihidaruma is based off the stove and not the doll, which I greatly agree on since I never saw the Daruma Doll design in it besides the fact it had a slightly similar body shape.

Well, I think it can be based on both. Plenty of other pokemon are based on multiple things, and I think Hihidaruma could be another example.

Speaking of that pokemon, we've seen daruma dolls in the TV series before. Misty mistakes her Togepi for one of them in the Orange Islands episode "A Scare in the Air":

daruma_doll.png

What do you want to bet people freak out over this just like they did when they supposedly saw Chimecho a tthe end of "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak?"

V Faction said:
Basically, Dawn's commenting on the fact that Ash, despite being up against a strong foe like a member of the Elite 4, was able to put up a good fight. It's like saying "you gave a great performance regardless of the odds!" without actually saying that.

My point is that in the Japanese version, she actually does say that. Dawn's line in the dub, meanwhile, just sounds like a non-sequitor.

As for the other stuff, the messages about Sunyshore Tower's importance to the City, the similarities between young Volkner and Ash, and Volkner's gradual warm up to Ash's personality are all still received for dub watchers.

Perhaps, but the fact remains that those lines were rewritten for the English version (or in the case of the last example, is just a case of something untranslatable getting lost). I don't see any problem with me pointing out dialogue changes in an essay mean to point out the differences between the Japanese version and the English version.

Musashi said:
Actually, cover art has already been released for that song as well as the Band version of Saikou Everyday. It's just a matter of when they'll come out.

This is the first I'm seeing that. No information about a CD single release has been posted on the Japanese Amazon site, or the Media Factory site, or the official site.

Digging a little further, I found this article, posted on the 28th of last month, stating that the current opening and ending theme are being made available for download on a cell phone site called "AnimeMelo." My guess is that those images aren't actually the covers for CDs scheduled to go to retail and are instead just the wallpapers that get displayed whenever you download one of those songs onto your phone.

Rusty Shackleford said:
You forgot to mention the Sunnyshore Gym resembles the real-life Tower of the Sun.

I was actually waiting to mention that for the comparison for "The Fleeing Tower of Sunyshore" since the tower plays a much bigger role in that one :p

I don't see any problem with me pointing out dialogue changes in an essay mean to point out the differences between the Japanese version and the English version.
That's fine Dogasu, but I sometimes I'm not a fan of the color commentary.

Some do, some don't. Personally, I feel like having a strictly facts-only list with no personal touches or no commentary would be really boring for me to write (and for you to read!). As long as I hit all the major changes made in the transition from Japanese to English, I think that's alright.

But that's just my opinion.

If you really don't like my commentary and whatnot, you can check out Pocketmonsters.net, which has been posting edit lists since the start of Season 13. Here's their list for "Flint Sparks the Fire!"

Nooo! Your site is not only comprehensive (to an extent), but I do get a kick out of reading your stuff even if you find that hard to believe. Like I said, sometimes its a thumbs-up from me and other times... it's like this really weird sideways thumb that is slightly curled. It's very strange actually. But anyhoo, yeah, this was a review that I took to heart rather closely in a long time.

The other list is admittedly pretty handy-dandy, too.

I actually thoroughly enjoy reading the comparisons. It's like TVTropes, click once, and you're lost for all eternity. I read the page on "The Ghost at Maiden's Peak" or whatever it was called...best.episode.ever.

oh, Dogasu. In this day and age when the entire series has been localized in some form or another (and the corrected numbering has been used as early as the Playstation re-ports over a decade ago), it's one thing for some outdated nostalgists to refer to it as "Final Fantasy III", but to hear someone like you make such an error? Someone who seems pretty in-tune with Japanese media in general? Wow.

Dogasu on DP162 said:
If this episode does nothing else, I hope it teaches the writers that all Contests should be at least two episodes long.

The fact that the Asatsuki Town Pokemon Contest was allowed to go on for two episodes makes all the difference in the world. The pacing was great, nothing felt too rushed or cheap, and it gave the Contest the appropriate weight it deserved. Those one episode Contests don't have a chance of being as memorable as this one.

:cough:

Dogasu said:
I tend to dismiss the faults people find with this episode because I really don't think any of them are too unusual. Yes, Mammoo is a ground-type and, by the rules set in the video games, Plusle's and Minun's Spark attacks shouldn't have worked. Yet I don't care because to me, there's nothing unusual about a ball of electricity harming a big elephant. Are wooly mammoths somehow impervious to electricity or something?

I'd say it's the fact that the writers seem to recognize the game mechanics, only to turn them on and off at will, that's really irksome. Hell, just recently with the end of the Grand Festival, they finally seemed to acknowledge that Ghost is ineffective against Normal (at the same time, I think that was the first they've acknowledged a Flying-type to be part Normal), even though I recall seeing Shadow Ball hit a Normal earlier in the Diamond/Pearl series. But yeah, they've been doing this since the beginning ("AIM FOR THE HORN!" is a full-on meme by now), so it's not like it's anything new.

I actually thoroughly enjoy reading the comparisons. It's like TVTropes, click once, and you're lost for all eternity. I read the page on "The Ghost at Maiden's Peak" or whatever it was called...best.episode.ever.

comparing to TVTropes? Has Dogasu's Backpack really gotten that big? I can't tell since I only played catch-up through the archives when I first went there several years ago, and I've just kinda kept up with the comparisons since.

Why is the pride and joy of the Anime Forums falling to the wayside here?! Let's bring back the discussion.

and I thank you for that.

Hell, just recently with the end of the Grand Festival, they finally seemed to acknowledge that Ghost is ineffective against Normal

Did they do that for the first DP contest with Nozomi vs Hikari in the raw? They did acknowledge it in the dub. In fact, it was the exact same situation as the GF with Nyarmar bluffing Shadow Claw.

Edit: It was Nozomi vs Satoshi, sorry about that.

Did they do that for the first DP contest with Nozomi vs Hikari in the raw? They did acknowledge it in the dub. In fact, it was the exact same situation as the GF with Nyarmar bluffing Shadow Claw.

Edit: It was Nozomi vs Satoshi, sorry about that.

if that is the case, and a Shadow Ball really did hit a Normal-type afterwards as I recall (didn't one such occurrence happen around mid-DP?), then that would only further prove my point about them using game mechanics at will.

Back
Top Bottom