• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Matkin22 said:
"Having said that, I still liked it. It's not my favorite movie, but it's not my least favorite, either." Normally when you reference another episode/film you provide a link to your comparison for it, so when I read that I was subconsciously expecting you to link to your favourite and least-favourite respectively. Just my mind playing tricks on me, :p

Oh, I see.

I guess the Internet really has changed the way we read and write, hasn't it? This actually reminds me of the foreward to one of the Penny Arcade books, where the author (can't remember if it was Mike or Jerry) made a comment about how he wanted to, by instinct, include a bunch of links in the foreward since that's the way he always writes things.

And actually, I don't know what my favorite Pocket Monsters movie is. I feel like I'd have to rewatch a bunch of them (it's been about eight years since I last saw the Entei movie, for example) in order to form an informed opinion.

Outrage said:
Are you gonna tell us what the game's like?

I'll post about it in this forum's Video Games forum, but I doubt I'll do anything major with it for the site.

I'll post about it in this forum's Video Games forum, but I doubt I'll do anything major with it for the site.
Any coverage is good coverage as the HgSs and Gen V are taking the spot light away despite the fact that Gen V is currently being represented by a single evolutionary line.

I imagine it's stuff like the breasts joke in the Garura episode that makes a lot of people mistakenly think the Japanese version isn't a kids' show. Instead, it's just a testament to what kids' shows in Japan can get away with.

I remember "The Kangaskhan Kid" quite well, as I had the Viz VHS that it was included on, alongside "The Ninja-Poké Showdown" (god, what an awful dub title) and "The Flame Pokémon-athon" (ditto). And thinking back to it now, it's really amazing just how unashamedly weird Kanto could get. Your bit in the intro about how this episode would never get made today is pretty damn accurate - I can't even begin to fathom Shinou-era Satoshi going through any of the stuff that happens in this episode.

And you know, I think the show has actually improved now that it's settled down a bit. These "throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks" episodes from the first year can get really, really insane, and that's funny, but after a while it can begin to get annoying. Now, the show is still funny, but it's a controlled humor, and there's more of a logical explanation for why everything happens. And on occasion, they still branch out into Kanto-style insanity (the "Polka O Dolka" Pikachu short, the Nendoll episode, the Rotom episode, the evil Togepi episode, etc.), and now that it's contrasted against episodes where there's more logic, that makes the sudden excursions into the outer regions even funnier.

Eh, I'm rambling again...

Haha,interesting stuff as always,I totally agree on the part about mama and papa,its been years since I last watched the episode, and I instinctively laughted :O

Also...that article...I couldn´t ever get past the first paragrapht.Seriously,the kind of idiotic bashing pokemon can get is awesome :D

JUST LOOK AT JIGLYPUFF.IS THE FACE OF THE PURE DEMMON.SATAN IS CORRUPTING OUR CHILDREND.

Oh,and its your and only your fault that now I am decided to eventually get the ranger 3 game.Way to go, dogasu -_-.

(...)
And you know, I think the show has actually improved now that it's settled down a bit. These "throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks" episodes from the first year can get really, really insane, and that's funny, but after a while it can begin to get annoying. Now, the show is still funny, but it's a controlled humor, and there's more of a logical explanation for why everything happens. And on occasion, they still branch out into Kanto-style insanity (the "Polka O Dolka" Pikachu short, the Nendoll episode, the Rotom episode, the evil Togepi episode, etc.), and now that it's contrasted against episodes where there's more logic, that makes the sudden excursions into the outer regions even funnier.

Eh, I'm rambling again...

QFW

To be honest I wish they kept some of the humor like that. The stuff from the Kanghaskhan ep and the "James with breasts" scenes are really funny.

I guess back then they really weren't expecting the show to become as popular as it did, so they didn't have to tone that stuff down?

Also, I think the joke is made funnier by the fact that Misty is flat-chested.

Well, they didn't expect the show to become popular internationally. If the show had stayed in Japan, we'd see more of the "risque" stuff because the creators wouldn't have to be worrying about soccer moms on the other side of the Pacific.

Then again, if the show had stayed in Japan, it likely would have already been canceled by now.

Caught up a little on your reviews. Happy belated 10th Anniversary. Here's to another ten. You truly are the best source.

Why does Papa (from the Kangaskhan ep) look so familar (aside from the memories of the episode of course)? The way he's drawn... looks oddly like something else I've seen before.

Dogasu said:
It's still a little off since one wonders why Tomo only questions whether or not the females are humans, but I guess we're supposed to overlook that or something.

I thought of something similar in DPA. Hareta's Misdrevus likes to scare girls, but it's only ever addressed that it likes to scare "people". Including in Japanese. So I guess Ihara's got dubber logic or something.

Why does Papa (from the Kangaskhan ep) look so familar (aside from the memories of the episode of course)? The way he's drawn... looks oddly like something else I've seen before.

He reminds me the guy in pokemon sunday.

Kinda looks like a bootleg Mario to me. Either that or a really high Mr. Peebles.

Y'know, for the longest time, I've seen people calling that Kangaskhan episode out as one of the worst ever. What's up with that? I mean, it's not my favourite or anything, but there's so much weird, ie. funny, shit going on in it, that I've got to wonder how it garnered as much disdain as it did.

The Australian box sets didn't include the last 4 episodes of season 1 and now they will release them, so there's nothing new here... the 4 episodes are:
"The Case of the K-9 Caper"
"Pokémon Paparazzi"
"The Ultimate Test"
"The Breeding Center Secret"

That reminds me.

Breast jokes in Japanese cartoons are pretty weird.

Y'know, for the longest time, I've seen people calling that Kangaskhan episode out as one of the worst ever. What's up with that? I mean, it's not my favourite or anything, but there's so much weird, ie. funny, shit going on in it, that I've got to wonder how it garnered as much disdain as it did.

I always thought it was because Kangaskhan itself was never a popular pokemon back in the day. That Pokemon rarely gets any screentime in the anime.

The Australian box sets didn't include the last 4 episodes of season 1 and now they will release them, so there's nothing new here... the 4 episodes are:
"The Case of the K-9 Caper"
"Pokémon Paparazzi"
"The Ultimate Test"
"The Breeding Center Secret"

Well I really wasn't expecting dubs of the banned-banned episodes, but Maybe Beauty and the Beach. I thought the Todd arc was season 2. *goes to get facts straight*

They are last 4 eps of Season 1, unlike Beauty and the Beach which technically doesn't belong to any season.

Exactly, I don't know why many sites got wrong the order of these 4 episodes and why they were missing from the original Australian DVDs - but they sure are the last 4 episodes of season 1 and that's their official order at least in the English version, which all (or almost all) other countries get...

That reminds me.

Breast jokes in Japanese cartoons are pretty weird.

in what ways?

Maybe Dogasu, who's currently in the country right now, could provide a better explanation, but I think this goes to show what a cultural gap is present between Japan and most of the western world when it comes to exposing children to the existence of the female chest area. Hell, I think I recall hearing a few traditional Japanese fairy tales (though I can't remember any specific ones) where the reasons behind a woman's modesty is in no way toned down, whereas in western fables, you just have a kiss being the grandest thing a maiden could give somebody (don't know if our stories were always like this, or if someone sought to bowdlerize them somewhere down the line). In some areas, they also have mixed bathing and festivals devoted to "fertility", so yeah... definitely aren't trying to hide anything about our anatomy, for the most part. Now, censorship standards have increased over the years on that side of the ocean as well, but I think it's safe to say it'll be a cold day in hell before something like cleavage is deemed harmful to Japanese children.

Back
Top Bottom