• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

The show should have more adult nods to older fans and fanservice like it used to. Especially now that all the original kids from 1998 have grown up.

Or '97 in Japan...

I do wish the writers would do more stuff for the original fans. Just not sexual fanservice. No offense, but to me that sounds like the writers would only do that out of desperation to keep older fans.

Of course, they're not obligated to do this, since the show is for kids. But if I was running the show, that's what I'd do.

Probably the only examples of that in the later seasons was how May looked older than she should and Dawn's contest outfits.

I don't think they were trying to appeal to older fans for that.

I thought those particular jokes in "Beauty and the Beach" and "The Kanghaskan Kid" were lame, but that's mainly because I'm way older than the target audience anyway. It's not that thinking about them makes me cringe or anything like that- I just don't miss them now that they're gone.

Now I do miss the things like the destroying of buildings and whatnot. To be fair...

Piplup said:
or funny stuff, I'd take eps like the Evil Togepi and similar ones any day over the two eps I mentioned...

I didn't think the Togepi stuff was funny either. But that's also because I'm out of the target audience, and while people over the target audience can still laugh at these things, it shouldn't be a surprise if they don't. Different strokes for different folks...

And I'm not happy they Americanized (/Internationalized) the show... As I said in the past, sure, I didn't get every Japanese cultural reference made in the show, but I liked the "randomness" the Japanese culture brought to the show. (It was "random" to me because while I recognized those elements as Japanese cultural references, I didn't get them.)

Personally, I care more about those wacky instances than Pokemon battles.

Tyler812 said:
Yet they didn't ban the episode with Prima/Lorelei.

But why would they go as far as to ban it?

Another thing about the Kangaskhan episode is that... even if TPCI did decide to sub the Pokemon episodes, what would they do with dialogue like what Tomo said in the Japanese version? (I guess they'd have to make what he says really vague. If they don't, I don't see them going through with subbing the episodes. In any case, the banned eps would stay banned.)

Last edited:
I feel like they've removed the all the Ice Skating-based themes from the show. As an Ice Skating fan, there doesn't seem to be any ice skating or ice skating-related jokes or gags anymore. It's clear that when they tried making the show aimed at all types of sports, they simply stopped giving us, the TRUE fans, what we wanted. All the GOOD and pure ice skating they had in the 1st season is no longer even a factor anymore. The soccer and lacross ideas in the show now are REALLY lame and appeal to no one (I would know, I'm an expert in iceology, soccerorleogly, and lacrossery).

The simplest solution would be if they gave everyone ice skates and called it "Pokemon: On Ice". That would please me. I-I mean... that would please everyone.

For funny stuff, I'd take eps like the Evil Togepi and similar ones any day over the two eps I mentioned...
And Scott, yes, some prefer Gary - both because people have different opinions and also because some people like you are in love with Kanto and say it's better than everything no matter what...

oh, come now, Piplup. Now all the sudden, he's a Kanto fanboy? I'm practically anti-Kanto with the way I rant about the stupid-ass, rose-colored glasses-wearing nostalgics who hype it up to be when this series was at its most perfect and could do no wrong, but even I can agree with anybody who says those earlier episodes had a few good attributes to them that are now seemingly lost for the remainder of however long they plan to keep adapting this popular game series. In the Kanto days, Pokemon resembled most other anime in the way it would stick to its distinct cultural roots, not feeling so restricted about potentially offending somebody somewhere in the world that exists outside the small, historically-isolated and homogeneous island nation. I'm far from a fanboy, but that's something I could greatly respect, and I find it a real shame that it was ultimately lost when Pokemon became a global sensation.

People look at the line and say that it proves that Hun is a man despite the fact that he has a woman's voice and is a female in the Latin American dubs.

Translating the dub, i don't recall any "guidelines" or hints at anyone's gender in the materials... Most of the times it's pretty obvoius, although, for example, Sun Studio's dub of s10 referred to Tracey as "she" (and that also caused a problem with Dustox, Aipom and Staravia's genders) - so maybe the case here is that dubbers also assumed Hun is a female judging on looks (meh) and feminine voice?

I thought the line was just an obvious cock-up and nothing more, since, y'know, the script was crap and loaded with inconsistencies already. Can't believe people read into it.

Or maybe there was no conscious decision to change Hun's gender and the voice director just screwed up.

And yes, it is possible to be excited about a remake on the DS for those of us that actually enjoy the main series in the first place. We'll pay more attention to Ranger 3 when we actually have a chance to play it. Get over yourself.

And yes, it is possible to be excited about a remake on the DS for those of us that actually enjoy the main series in the first place. We'll pay more attention to Ranger 3 when we actually have a chance to play it. Get over yourself.

THIS. Thank you! Dogasu no offense, but you constantly reminding us that you hate HGSS is getting redundant. We know already.

It's Dogasu's own personal Web page. Therefore, he can say whatever the hell he wants however many times he wants. I also happen to completely agree with his feelings about HGSS, but that's beyond the point.

I think my apathy toward HeartGold and SoulSilver has been very well documented. I couldn't give two shits about the games, and I'm eagerly waiting for the day when games that actually deserve all this attention and hype actually come out. They're just remakes, people. God.
Only that's not fair is it?

I'm getting sick of people "rating" media and comparing it to other media. I really think people lost the concept of rating media. You really are supposed to rate media by itself, as if it was the most original thing in the world.

No I don't give a shit if it's a remake, that's not really going to help me say no when thinking about buying it. The content of certain media means more to me than some drivel about how it's not as good as some other media or when people compare it to other things, the comparison only works if it makes sense. Like when you actually are comparing the two. But rating a game, movie by comparing it to other games, movies without rating it on it's own merits is pure bullshit.

For example a particular movie was being compared to all sorts of other shows. But who gives a shit? What about the story, the drive, the characters, the actual quality of the movie (as in animation/CGI/etc), the acting and so forth, if your just going to rate stuff like that by comparing it to other things, how is that supposed to be help when I plan on watching a movie or buying a game, you can paint a pretty picture all you want by comparing but at the end of the day it doesn't help at all.

Now I could see the argument that comparing it is one way to show other people what the movie is like. Like how "Movie X is like Movie Y" and I can see how sequels may revolve around that fact. But there's a problem, it's insulting to the movie itself. I like to watch movies, and play games as if they are the most original thing in the world, a neutral stance. If I hate or like a movie based on that then it would be deserved, but if I keep in mind that certain movies are like others and I'm comparing it to other crap, I'm not going to enjoy the movie or game as much, and if I rate a movie low because of it, it's not going to be deserved.

Think about this Dogasu, if Heart Gold and Soul Silver were entirely brand new and not remakes, would you really be as apathetic and apparently hateful of the games? Or is the fact that it is a remake making you biased?

If not you can see my point, you would like the games if they were original, but they apparently suck ass because they are remakes. Again is that fair?

Who cares, anyway? Its just Johto. He's allowed to dislike HGSS.

All GameFreak does is repackage almost the same game and re-release it like 12 times. These games aren't anything new and exciting that we haven't seen before, excluding the Pokethlon and the few new features it does have.

I'm not going to get into an argument here because this is still the Pokemon Anime forum and none of this has anything to do with that. But, the basic gist I'm getting here is that I'm apparently not allowed to voice my opinion on my website.

That's insane.

I'm not going to get into an argument here because this is still the Pokemon Anime forum and none of this has anything to do with that.
I have an objection to that. This is Dogasu's Backpack Discussion. It's a thread about your website so anything you post on there is on topic to this thread.

But, the basic gist I'm getting here is that I'm apparently not allowed to voice my opinion on my website.
Well I'm not complaining about you hating HGSS. I'm complaining about your habit to constantly remind us every time you update your site that you hate HGSS. Also your recent comment about HGSS sounded like you were calling everyone who liked and bought HGSS sheep.

OK I'm done for now.

Well, guys, I might as well act as the mediator of the arguement.

Guys, don't try and criticize his opinion in regards to a game on his own website. It's his website, so he can say whatever the heck he wants to.

And Dogasu, Although I understand and accept that you don't like the remakes, can you at least find a reason to hate it other than it just being a remake? I mean, hating something just because it is a remake isn't really a good reason at all. Now, if the writing was horrendous, the attempt at doing a remake just utterly fails in terms of script problems, poor acting, a bad soundtrack, and a plot that wasn't even close to the original writer's intentions, I can understand, but even I can't hate something just because its a remake.

My understanding is that the only reason this thread is in the Pokemon Anime section to begin with is because the overwhelming majority of the updates to my site have to do with the TV series.

And "constantly reminding us?" *checks website* Um, I haven't said anything about HGSS on the front page since January. And even then, it was only one sentence.

You guys are grossly blowing things out of proportion.

Seriously, this whole thing is very off-topic. Dogasu is allowed to express his own opinions on his website.

That said, some of the images that you added for the Legend of Thunder comparison are broken.

About your Arceus comparison: I was watching the Arceus movie that I taped from CN and the whole Brock/hand scene is there, unchanged from the original. Soo.... yeah. XD

Also... I'm surprised you didn't mention that they actually said "die" ("Arceus, you can't die on us!") instead of trying say it another way. I thought it was pretty cool to hear Ash say that. Looks like TPCi broke another "rule"!

Last edited:
The "rule" got broken early in 9th season, so it's nothing new really.

The "rule" got broken early in 9th season, so it's nothing new really.

True, but that was also used in a joking manner (also, this time it wasn't used with a tree XD). It's sorta like the current Naruto Shippuden dub. It's ok to to say "kill" if it's used in a comedic manner but if it's in any other way, it has to be changed to "destroyed" (which, in it's own way, could arguably be worse!). Still, it's a minor thing. I only mentioned it beacuse dancing around it was one of the things he talked about in his comparison for the Giratina movie. XD

Re: Numemon's Backpack Discussion

Digimon, eh? Doesn't seem like the most original idea, but a good one all the same. Also, considering your questionable Internet recently (unless that was a devious ploy to work on this page) this was done really well, especially the comparison - that thing's practically a thesis.

An April Fool's well done.

Re: Numemon's Backpack Discussion

That reminds me how everyone always says Digimon has a better dub...

...but really, watching it now, the show seems to insert dumb jokes every chance they get. :/

Back
Top Bottom