• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Quite a patriot, eh? Honestly, while they are fun films, Pokemon movies are really not good examples of high-quality Japanese cinema. I highly doubt Haigney and Grossfeld would say those myopic things about Studio Ghibli films or any film by Akira Kurosawa. For goodness' sake, Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" ended up inspiring "A Fistful of Dollars" and "The Last of Us".
Still I think they should respect the work of others. It also doesn't help that 4Kids had a bad habit of censoring Japanese culture out of their dubs.

Still I think they should respect the work of others.

Yep, they should've. I wasn't saying I agree with that shallow statement of theirs, just that I only slightly understand if they came to that conclusion by seeing the Pokemon movies. It definitely doesn't make them right, though, and it honestly makes me wonder if they saw any non-Pokemon Japanese movie ever.

Last edited:
By the way, I think the reason why Dark Mewtwo got renamed Shadow Mewtwo in the upcoming English version of Pokken Tournament is because the English version of the franchise has a Dark Type (which is known in Japanese as Evil Type; a foolish choice if you ask me, seeing as how it contradicts the "Pokemon are not inherently evil" soapboxing the whole franchise indulges in time and time again). The same thing happened with the Gamecube RPGs, in which the Dark Pokemon were renamed Shadow Pokemon.

Don't feel bad about not doing episode comparisons like you used to, Dogasu. We understand :)

You're an all purpose site that talks about all things Pocket Monsters, minaly events that happen in Japan the rest of the world otherwise wouldn't hear about. It's your site, you do what you see fit.

That said, I think you need to stop with the old movie themes. The Genesect and Hoopa movies may've given people new interest in Mewteo and Lugia (even though Lugia didn't really do much in the Hoopa movie), but it's time to give it a rest to focus on more current events & issues. To be fair, the OS movies ARE the most interesting to look into, but I say enough is enough.

I only tell you this out of concern so that you don't become so overwhelmed.

I've never expected Gen VII to hit this year... I don't have any opinion towards this but if it happens the show'll have to rush a lot right? Let's see what's left in Kalos: Satoshi's 8th gym battle, Satoshi's league conference, Serena's 3th Princess Key, Serena's Master Class, Flare-Dan's entire plot, that Kalamanero gang closure (I think it'll be done during the Flare plot, but anyway... And Satoshi's gotta catch his 6th Pokemon yet.
Not mentioning Iris that still didn't make her appearance in XY.

What'll Game Freak do for the 20th anniversary's what I'm wondering... A second remake for Gen I games are pretty much unlikely right?

What'll Game Freak do for the 20th anniversary's what I'm wondering... A second remake for Gen I games are pretty much unlikely right?

They have all of those 20th anniversary 3ds and 2ds's coming out, digital releases of Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue, and the digital Mew distribution

Great predictions, as usual. Personally, I'm hoping that the one about the new volumes of Pokemon Special/Adventures comes true. I've really been waiting a while to hear a solid release date for volume 53, and hopefully the translated versions won't be far behind. Here's to a great 2016!

I'm aware of the rereleases. I'm talking more like something more special like a second remake of G\R\B or a fan's dream that's definitely not happening: A game involving every single region, you travelling in all of them one after the other. I hear about this one for years already, since I was playing Gen III. People'd utter an all regions in a single game desire all the time.

Is it me or has Satoshi Tajiri gotten younger? The pic of him from the new interview bears literally no resemblance (that I can see) to some older pictures of him! Dogasu, will you be translating that and/or similar anniversary interviews this year do you think?

SSJ said:
Dogasu, did we ever get confirmation that the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special was commissioned by 4kids by their story ideas or plot? I don't know if we ever got confirmation of that or not. That 4kids gave the Japanese writers a story plot/idea they wanted and then it was written.

Stuff like virtual reality pokemon, Misty coming back, a fake Mewtwo, Oak with a Dragonite, May being out of character, etc....it just reeks of 4kids meddling. How ironic that 4kids didn't even get to dub that special they created because they lost the license.

I haven't found any concrete proof like an interview that states as much or anything like that, but to be honest I haven't dug much into that aspect of the special. I think maybe 4Kids themselves said something to that effect on the Pokemon.com back in 2006? I'm not sure.

But yeah, I agree with you 100% that all the things you listed definitely reek of 4Kids' meddling.

Charmelizard said:
I would just like to point out that the recent DVD of TJJ and the upcoming rereleases of the first three movies and JLC warrant an update to the site's DVD Guide.

Eventually!

Gabo 2oo said:
I love how the music stops at just the right moment (the Japanese opening doesn't do that). It made Pikachu's headbutt against Quagsire much more notable.

And I love how the music ramps up when Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on Nuo only to see that the attack has no effect in the Japanese version. The English version doesn't do that :p

SammyW27 said:
You're an all purpose site

Eh...I've actually been trying to cut down on that the last few years and narrow my focus on a few key aspects of the franchise.

That said, I think you need to stop with the old movie themes. The Genesect and Hoopa movies may've given people new interest in Mewteo and Lugia (even though Lugia didn't really do much in the Hoopa movie), but it's time to give it a rest to focus on more current events & issues. To be fair, the OS movies ARE the most interesting to look into, but I say enough is enough.

No :p Like I said in the write-up, with this franchise it's way too easy to only ever look forward without taking the time to remember the past and that's a shame. I'm fully aware that nobody comes to Dogasu's Backpack for up-to-the-minute news so why cover the same things that every other site's covering, only later? What's the point in that?

Besides, the movie updates are a lot of fun for me (and the site's visitors really seem to like them as well) and the old pages for the fourth and fifth movies are old and gross and outdated and just overall embarrassing to have around.

Adamant said:
Uh, sorry to rain on your parade a bit, but the T-rex thing was absolutely known to the English-speaking fanbase long before you mentioned it. I've seen it mentioned enough times I thought it was considered fairly common knowledge too.

This is news to me. You are literally the first person to ever bring this up to me; every other reaction to the update I've seen has been that of people hearing this information for the first time ever.

But thanks for the heads up. I'll update the write-up accordingly.

AnimeAddictedNihon said:
I've never expected Gen VII to hit this year... I don't have any opinion towards this but if it happens the show'll have to rush a lot right? Let's see what's left in Kalos: Satoshi's 8th gym battle, Satoshi's league conference, Serena's 3th Princess Key, Serena's Master Class, Flare-Dan's entire plot, that Kalamanero gang closure (I think it'll be done during the Flare plot, but anyway... And Satoshi's gotta catch his 6th Pokemon yet.
Not mentioning Iris that still didn't make her appearance in XY.

All of that can be accomplished in just a few months, no? It might not happen at the pace we'd want it to but it's not like this show's never rushed anything before either.

ii kanji said:
Is it me or has Satoshi Tajiri gotten younger? The pic of him from the new interview bears literally no resemblance (that I can see) to some older pictures of him! Dogasu, will you be translating that and/or similar anniversary interviews this year do you think?

I think he does look like he's a bit healthier weight-wise; he seemed a bit gaunt in the old pictures of him from the 90s.

I don't think I'll be translating the interview I linked to because of the sheer length of it but I might do some of the other interviews if they're interesting enough.

I'm surprised Dogasu you didn't say anything about Iris or Cilan making a cameo for all of 2016. Do you think the writers are going to break tradition and not bring the previous gen girl back this time? Iris may not have been as popular as the other girls, but I would be genuinely shocked if the writers sweep her under the rug and don't let her come back for a small handful of episodes. What do you think?

Someday I'll ask the Japanese people at the Pokemon group at pixiv what they think of Iris... I did it for Rougela skin color's change a few months ago and the few answers I got's exactly what people say in the West (that the Pokemon's based on a Ganguro stereotype), however none of them were absolutely sure about it... It's more like a rumor.

I remember hearing the T-Rex thing in the past too, though not as solid as how you explained it...

By the way, so drug abuse in Japan is a huge no-no as we learned with the girl who narrated Pichu and Pichu, but what about adultery? Just read that "Becky", a popular Japanese actress who I assume is the same one who did a few voices back in the AG days like Hitomi in Deoxys and Kid Summers in Lucario, is in a ton of hot water due to what appears to be some horribly sexist double standards, but do you think it's possible, if those movies are re-aired, they'd possibly redub her contributions? Like I'm reading basically everyone's dropping her, it's pretty bizarre. Come to think of it she was "Proto" Shoko Nakagawa.

And I love how the music ramps up when Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on [Quagsire] only to see that the attack has no effect in the Japanese version. The English version doesn't do that :p

IMO, the English one lost nothing by not doing that, and gained everything (such as the one point that ultimately made me favor the dub soundtrack of M03 over the original) by stopping the BGM when Quagsire got defeated.

To be fair to Dogasu on one point, though, it was his site where I learned of the T-Rex Fossil plot that would've been the third film (I'm surprised I didn't see a prediction for a possible Kickstarter project to get that unused draft made). As for the other thing Adamant had in the post he linked (the proposed final episode where the Pokemon revolt), I found that out from a post on Tumblr.

Last edited:
This is news to me. You are literally the first person to ever bring this up to me; every other reaction to the update I've seen has been that of people hearing this information for the first time ever.

As you noticed earlier in this thread, I'm sure you can expect a lot of such reactions to the upcoming shocking reveal that 4Kids had some new scenes added to the dub of movie 4 too... scenes that only got dubbed in Japanese for one special TV airing no one seemed to have taped, at that. :p

As you noticed earlier in this thread, I'm sure you can expect a lot of such reactions to the upcoming shocking reveal that 4Kids had some new scenes added to the dub of movie 4 too... scenes that only got dubbed in Japanese for one special TV airing no one seemed to have taped, at that. :p
I wonder what music they used for those scenes - some of it is generic 4Kids bgm in the dub.

By the way, I think the reason why Dark Mewtwo got renamed Shadow Mewtwo in the upcoming English version of Pokken Tournament is because the English version of the franchise has a Dark Type (which is known in Japanese as Evil Type; a foolish choice if you ask me, seeing as how it contradicts the "Pokemon are not inherently evil" soapboxing the whole franchise indulges in time and time again). The same thing happened with the Gamecube RPGs, in which the Dark Pokemon were renamed Shadow Pokemon.
I think the term evil is bit more different in Japanese. They see it as being under-handed and dastardly. This can be seen with Pokémon like Weavile which is why the Fighting type ( which is usually seen as honorable and just) are strong against them as a means to teach kids that being fair also triumphs over unfair play.

I'm aware of the rereleases. I'm talking more like something more special like a second remake of G\R\B or a fan's dream that's definitely not happening: A game involving every single region, you travelling in all of them one after the other. I hear about this one for years already, since I was playing Gen III. People'd utter an all regions in a single game desire all the time.

I know that'll never happen, but I, too, have always wanted a 'all-region' game. G/S/C got me all excited traveling back to Kanto.

Back
Top Bottom