• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP008: Gureggru of the Mysterious Gym!

OMIGOSH.

Brock catches Greggle? Is this the truth? OH, MAN.

A part of me is delighted. I mean... Greggle and his evolution are easily two of my favorites out of this new batch of Pokemon (along with the Hikozaru line and the two D/P Pokemon acquired by Team Rocket, Manene and Masukippa). I mean, I adore frogs, especially poison dart frogs, and I was the happiest ever when I found out that this particular episode will star Greggle. And now one of the characters added Greggle to his regular roster? That's awesome.

But... then there's the part of me that goes "anyone but BROCK, goddamnit". 'Cause... you know. I still weep for poor Marshtomp and Ludicolo because they just didn't get enough screentime at all and I had to find out they're great Pokemon on my own.

If he really is a Popper, however... maybe he'll be saved from the awful curse of Brock's Pokemon roster? I hope so, because he's such a cool Pokemon.

Brock made a catch? OSHI---

Interesting that he caught Greggle. I had Buoysel pegged as Brock's capture.....

Hi. Popping in during my hiatus once I heard.

I love frogs, but Gureggru isn't exactly my favorite of the frogs they've had thus far... but on the other hand, I'm now looking forward to the anime changing my opinion of that. The anime's done it with other Pokémon so far, and they're making it too hard for me to not end up liking this Pokémon. *thumbs up*

Anyway. Back to focusing on my novel. *wave*

Greggle looks an awful lot like a "comic relief Pokemon". Meaning it will not participate in a whole lot of battles, but it'll do a lot of silly things. If it is such a Pokemon, it avoids the Forty Curse. But if it's only for battling, then BAH!
Interesting that the next episode is also a capture one.

Hi. Popping in during my hiatus once I heard.

I love frogs, but Gureggru isn't exactly my favorite of the frogs they've had thus far... but on the other hand, I'm now looking forward to the anime changing my opinion of that. The anime's done it with other Pokémon so far, and they're making it too hard for me to not end up liking this Pokémon. *thumbs up*

Anyway. Back to focusing on my novel. *wave*

Hiatus? Why?

Anyway, frogs? Don't you mean "frog"?

Interesting that the next episode is also a capture one.

Hoenn did this alot.

That's what I meant, Pie made it sound like we had a wide array of frog Pokemon....

nYoo said:
So you want me to further explain? No thanks, I don't have the nerve to explain it (again). Not to YOU. You could check Bulbapedia's Pokémon List if you are honestly interested.

I've looked at the entry, and I don't see any reason to favor "Gureggru" over "Greggle." Sure, it's the officially trademarked romanization, but that doesn't mean we have to actuall use it (see: Prasle, Togepy).

I've looked at the entry, and I don't see any reason to favor "Gureggru" over "Greggle." Sure, it's the officially trademarked romanization, but that doesn't mean we have to actuall use it (see: Prasle, Togepy).
You're right, no one is forced to use it.

GAHHHHWAHHH?

How can you tell? Anyway, if we go by Gender Sprites, it is male as it's bandages covers the lower part.

The sprites are so alike anyway that I doubt it would be possible to consistently draw the difference in the animation.

Yeah, Greggle's bandages are as erratic as Masukippa is....

I think it's a guy though, it just gives me the vibe...of like, a stoner.

While I thought Gregory was a freak of nature when I first saw it, I now really like it so it’s great that we’ll be seeing more of it. Add that to the list of impressions changed by the anime, I guess.

Is it just me or did the opening come in a lot later than usual?

It was fun to see Team Rocket’s attempts to run a Gym. At least they had some competency back when they were running an official one. :p There’s not many episodes you can laugh at much when you don’t understand the language but this was a nice exception.

Though Jessie seemed to be using more English words than usual…

Wow, Team Rocket actually made their balloon peck-proof. :eek:

Or not. :rolleyes:

So why did Brock decide to catch Gregory?
At least we know his Pokémon will the ones keeping him away from girls rather than Hikari.

Greggle....just...stared at him...and he just, well, did.

Why? Because Greggle does what he damn pleases.

Loved Jessie's Engrish:

"I'm a winner desu!"

"Next is your Pikachu!"

"Greggle, kawarawari [Brick Break] please!"

"Shut up!" (especially that scene where she reaches over impossibly far and whacks Brock)

And she was calling herself Princess Poison as the "Gym Leader".

What did Brock say right before he caught Greggle?

And was Meowth translating Greggle at the beginning in the gym, as he kept saying something over and over.

GREG.jpg

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom