• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP044: Save the Lost Hippopotas!

Does anyone really give a crap about what Brock has? This is Ash we're talking about here, as for Phanpy, the Battle frontier let go of the regional retrictions for the time being so it was alright for it to return to his team for that period of time.

Brock is still a main character. The same rules apply. And claiming that it is okay for the "regional restrictions" to be dropped for one journey but not another makes absolutely no sense

I'm talking about team development here, I don't care about wild pokemon.

It's still taking away time from D/P Pokemon. Would you be so adverse if Ash were to catch a Porygon?

Magmar a few times in jouto and of course blaine in kanto, same with Magby.

I hate to be nitpicky, but you originally said in Battle Frontier. And so I repeat: When did he interact with a Magby/Magmar in Battle Frontier?

Magmar actually would've brought more of a balance to the team than Aipom did, after all his battle frontier team was "fireless"

A balanced team doesn't need a fire-type. Theres no reason for a specific formula to be kept season after season - it gets old. Its part of the reason that Battle Frontier seemed fresh. And if you feel that Magmar would've brought more of a balance, why are you so keen to argue against it? Ash's team doesn't yet have a fire-type IIRC, or even a water-type which has been much more common on his team than Fire.

Again the point is people claim Magmar and Electabuzz are rivals and Ash should get Magmar simply becuase Paul's going to have electabuzz, which is dumb logic.

I agree it's dumb logic but we've seen it before, and even though I know its keeping a formula (which I have already commented on), for the same reason it makes sense. Magmortar and Electivire are well balanced. It would give a good match, regardless of the outcome. Pinsir and Scyther are another two Gen I examples.

FTR we're getting way off topic so let's just drop it here.

I completely agree, and in any case I am tired so I am going to go to bed now. Good night.

Okay, getting back to the actual topic, since some of us don't care that much about what Ash gets...

This was such a cute episode! I loved it. Heee, all the sleeping antics were just wonderfully done - Croagunk dragging Brock, Brock carrying Dawn and later Ash when they fall asleep, Jessie dozing off during the motto...

Also, Hippopotas is adorable. *_*

Aww....

Hipopotas is so cute!! ^^

I hope they have plushies of it, or will release a plushie at some point.

Anyway, I don't know much about it (I didn't watch the episode - only saw pics).

But I have to say, this must be a REALLY GOOD episode!!!!
Ash saves Hipopotas (yay for Ash being heroic again!!), and also....he apparently takes off his shirt!! XD

This episode looks like one of the more humorous episodes they've made recently. Yeah, it's too bad Ash didn't catch because then we could have more sleeping antics. We've already got one running gag in the group, why not go for more.

Not to mention many of the stills Serebii has look just wrong.

I liked the running gag too with Jessie repeatedly mispronouncing Hippopotas' name and James and Meowth repeatedly having to correct her.

I liked the running gag too with Jessie repeatedly mispronouncing Hippopotas' name and James and Meowth repeatedly having to correct her.

...........uh-huhhhhhhh!.....

You know, I wonder if PUSA is going to do anything remotely similar to what we've been abusing over a Serebii...you know, misspelling Hippopotas' name.

They do tend to peek around the forums...or at least they used to, anyway. =P

Well, that combined with that almost disturbingly similar gag would mean that they've GOT to keep it in the dub at least. And it'd be kinda hard not to, because of the body language used.

Ah, what an amazing episode. The lack of a developed plot (let's get this thing to it's destination while avoiding Team Rocket) allowed the writers to go all out with random sillyness, running gags and... just pure entertainment. I actually managed to guess the writer for this episode before looking it up, too: It's the great Yukiyoshi Ouhashi, who also wrote the very similiar Banebu episodes back in Houen. Never mind that the animation was pretty bleh, this was awesome stuff.

In the cliff rescue scene, I liked the little touch where we saw those blankets (or whatever they were) on the stressed parts of the rope--the edge of the cliff and around the tree. Kinda hints at the experience of Ash and Brock as travelers. I wonder if Dawn would have thought to do that to prevent the rope from breaking?

This episode was hilarious (and I mean, literally L.O.L in parts) but it does make me a bit ":/" that this ep was totally a capture episode, yet Ash never caught Hippopotas...

:/

There weren't really any spectacular battles, but there WERE hilarious moments in this episode so it gets at leat 8/10. Good ep, but no Hippopotas. :/... At least Gary's back next week. :D:D:D:D:D

In the cliff rescue scene, I liked the little touch where we saw those blankets (or whatever they were) on the stressed parts of the rope--the edge of the cliff and around the tree. Kinda hints at the experience of Ash and Brock as travelers. I wonder if Dawn would have thought to do that to prevent the rope from breaking?

Ah, yes, I remember noticing that scene as surprisingly logical for the anime. It's what you would do to protect the rope against sharp edges when lowering it down, yet I can't remember something like this being ever done before, even though we've had dozens of similiar scenes.

And, uh, am I the only one who didn't think Satoshi would catch Hipopotas? I mean, the episode revolved around a young child getting separated from it's herd and parents, and Satoshi and the others helping it get back to them. That's really not the recipe for a capture episode. What did you expect? "Hey, thanks for going through all this trouble bringing me back to my friends and family, like I wanted... but screw them, I'd rather continue travelling along with you guys"?

This animator has only done 2 episode (Beequeen and this), and I like his style. It's not GREAT, but the backgrounds and expressions look good.

Also, anyone else think Buizel's small scene was kick-ass? The bad-ass way he came out of the Pokeball was cool.

Ohhhhhhhhh, Oohashi and the Beequeen episode guy! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. I did wonder why I like this more than the average episode!

Jessie dozing off during the motto = win.

It's still taking away time from D/P Pokemon. Would you be so adverse if Ash were to catch a Porygon?

I would. It wouldn't fit Ash at ALL. Though it would be a major win from Porygon's point of view, going from "exiled" to "Main-character's-team member."

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

Nekkid Ash, bad ass Buizel a fecking cute Hippo which Ash is somehow able to carry on his head, Shojo Brock, Greg saving Brock, everyone falling asleep (save Jimmy boy), Sokoni song in background, and just everything won about this episode.

When Hippo wagged his little tail, I skweed X3 to effing cute.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom