• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP106: A Way to Befriend Pokémon!?

So now Dawn has a really huge poke. It had better see some Contest use sometime soon is all I can say.

EDIT: I just realized something. As much as people have been predicting Chimchar as the next Charizard, this pokemon seems to have filled that role instead. The parallels are really striking, except that Swinub did it in less time than Char did.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to know that Nando hasn't been completely forgotten (Kenny, too).

Dawn's Piloswine evolving into Mamoswine so soon is stupid, but not surprising (since Piloswine is a Generation II Pokémon and Mamoswine is the current era of Generation IV).

*Male Squees* MAMOSWINE! Thank ARCEUS! *Hugs Mamoswine* At least I was half right in predicting our wooly pig will evolve into a wooly mammoth! Second to Munchlax, Mamoswine is my favourite Generation IV non-legendary Pokemon!

Kojirou's trading cards make their return! Is this the first time we've seen them in Diamond & Pearl?
No, we got that in Yanmega ep.

- So the episode ends with Hikari's pokemon being even more disobedient as it was in the beginning of the episode. Well...that's cretainly unexpected.
Great! I love it! So I am hoping that Dawn will have her lessons! I'm seeing Yanmega beat the disobedient Mamoswine without any effort in the next contest final!
---
And it also proven that the writers aren't lazy by changing it back as Piloswine in the OP and Nando isn't dropped. So Jessie, Nando and Kenny all won a ribbon (BTW, why isn't Jessie on TV also?) will give much pressure to the already depressed Dawn. I'd like to see the situation worsening even more! So that Dawn will finally get her lesson that she is too arrogant and she doesn't know everythings with contests despite her mother!

EDIT:Yuck! I just realised that she is still eager to train Mamoswine well according to Bulbapedia! How arrogant! The writers really need to give some serious lessons to her. Maybe have all her other Pokémon (especially Piplup) food stolen by Mamoswine and badly injured by Mamoswine when trying to fight back. Or have she loses two/three contests (could be possible, bearing in mind how many rivals she had, including Jessie and the newly resurrected Nando)in a row using the disobedient Mamoswine because of her confidence.

Last edited:
EDIT:Yuck! I just realised that she is still eager to train Mamoswine well! How arrogant! The writers really need to give some serious lessons to her. Maybe have all her other Pokémon (especially Piplup) food stolen by Mamoswine and badly injured by Mamoswine when trying to fight back. Or have she loses two/three contests (could be possible, bearing in mind how many rivals she had, including Jessie and the newly resurrected Nando)in a row using the disobedient Mamoswine because of her confidence.

I don't see how that means she's arrogant. In fact when has Dawn ever been arrogant?

Anyway I don't see how wanting to train a Pokemon, is a sign of arrogance.

So that Dawn will finally get her lesson that she is too arrogant and she doesn't know everythings with contests despite her mother!

Er, I think she already learned that lesson when she lost a contest for the third time in a row.

I agree, I think a better term to describe her attitude would be over confident... as in she is confident she will tame it! besides when has Hikari ever shown any signs of being arrogant?

I don't see how that means she's arrogant. In fact when has Dawn ever been arrogant?

In early DP she was. She had a huge argument with Ash in two eps, the first Nando ep over Gyms/Contests and then in that double battle ep with the brothers who had Quilava/Croconaw.

Although beyond that I think that's it.

I knew Nando will return! Yay!! ^_^
I didn't watch the episode yet but if it's right they said both Nando and Kenny got one ribbon each then that means Dawn/Nando/Zoey/Kenny each has 3 ribbons and Jessie has 2 ribbons
Nando also has 1 badge according to the last time we heard anything about his badges (but I guess he got more and we'll hear about it when he'll meet the twerps again)

This also proves there's still hope for Holly! Nando's last episode was 49 and he came back now after all this time... so Holly who last appeared in 52 sure can return (not to mention Roark last appeared in 18 and now came back for 107 !! or how Gary disappeared for years before returning at the very end of AG)

Surprising Gliscor learned Fire Fang! I guess that means Ash will use it in the Gym
I think Ash is going to use Gliscor, Chimchar and Grotle
As expected Piloswine learned Ancient Power and evolved into Mamoswine
I'm surprised to hear they didn't solve the problem in the episode and that it even became worse
They really made it the new Charizard, stay 2 episodes in its second form and quickly evolve again and disobey
Hopefully it'll get solved sooner than it took Chari
But now I guess it's possible Dawn won't use it in Contests until it'll listen to her (which might happen only around the GF or after it) and in this case it might give more spotlight in Contests to neglected Poké like Pachi... and than Mamo can star in the next saga (BF/whatever will probably be after Sinnoh and before next gen) Contests

Wow, I'm actually upset. Mamoswine that quick? Sure I was expecting it, but not in a single episode. That's terrible. Here's a low point for this series. I wanted more screentime with Piloswine before it became a Mamoswine. Seems the same with Yanma and Yanmega.

Scott85 said:
In early DP she was. She had a huge argument with Ash in two eps, the first Nando ep over Gyms/Contests and then in that double battle ep with the brothers who had Quilava/Croconaw.

I actually miss that. :(

Piplup said:
This also proves there's still hope for Holly! Nando's last episode was 49 and he came back now after all this time... so Holly who last appeared in 52 sure can return (not to mention Roark last appeared in 18 and now came back for 107 !! or how Gary disappeared for years before returning at the very end of AG

Wait, what?? Holly? You kidding? Forget about her, Nando and Roark were at least someone in this series.

Conway wasn't any more important than Holly and he appeared again, Holly can too
Not to mention characters like Duplica who also didn't seem that "important" yet returned

Oh come off it. Conway was brought back because he proved to be a popular character. Or at least one who was interesting to work with (Creepy nerd characters are actually readly accepted by fans).

The only thing Holly had going for her was the fact that she was a girl. big freaking whoop. You only really care about that character because you just want an excuse to get rid of Brock.

Anyway, I'll comment on the actual episode when I see it.

The thing nearly trampled them. I don't think an out of control pokemon makes Hikari look superior. Though I did like how Potchama couldn't even slow it down.

mamoswine really makes Dawn look superior to Ash right now.

Meh, there about equal. Since size doesn't really matter, Pikachu would probably OHKO it like it did Snorlax.

Wow, even though they jacked up Mamo's evolution in two episodes, she's got a nice little team. With Ambipom, Mamoswine, and Pachirisu, she's got 3 fully evolved Pokemon, well by default. Since Buneary has no reason not to evolve, that'll make 4 fully evolved Pokemon, sans Piplup. And if she gets a sixth one, that'll be a pretty well rounded team.

Wow, even though they jacked up Mamo's evolution in two episodes, she's got a nice little team. With Ambipom, Mamoswine, and Pachirisu, she's got 3 fully evolved Pokemon, well by default. Since Buneary has no reason not to evolve, that'll make 4 fully evolved Pokemon, sans Piplup. And if she gets a sixth one, that'll be a pretty well rounded team.

Pachi is still so small and cutesy though. While a Pokemon like Torkoal doesn't evolve, a Poke like Torkoal still looks powerful, (even though Ash's had a losing streak, you get the idea), while Pachirisu gives off the small and cute persona.

I think they gave Dawn Mamoswine to make up for Piplup never evolving. Instead of seeing Dawn with an Empoleon she gets the mammoth instead. Its a pretty decent tradeoff I think, because it lets her have a fully evolved powerhouse and Piplup can stay as is for advertising purposes.

Meh, there about equal. Since size doesn't really matter, Pikachu would probably OHKO it like it did Snorlax.

I doubt it. Mamoswine's a ground type, so electric attacks won't work. But I suppose Iron Tail might.

WHOA! Naoshi made a cameo? I demand proof!

Sorry, there really wasn't anything going with Holly. It's kind of like the same generic girl "character who has a crush on Brock and admires his skills" thing going. It wasn't anything new. Conway is different because he is a quasi-rival to Dawn.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom