• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP128: Battle Pyramid! Shinji VS Jindai!!

It's mainly the eyes. They drew his pupils less slit-like, and made him a bit more expressive, so yeah, you get this slightly more naive and child-like feel to him, but he's still got that seriousness to him, especially at the end.

(I want more flashbacks. xDD)

OMG. An official proof that Pokemon characters never age...

Sorry, but no. Look at Satoshi's theater flashback, Takeshi's getting Iwake flashback, Hikari's Yadon play and Yumomi/daycare flashbacks, heck, even Hyouta's flashback of digging up a fossil...

Unless you were being sarcastic.

Yes, we did see little kid versions of Ash, Gary, Misty, May and Dawn all in pre-school throughout the series.

So they definitely age up till now.

Nozomi has risen this much in my esteem for taking offence to Shinji's horribleness! :-D

And frankly, I don't know how Takeshi fell for the Miko. She's ugly as hell and sound's like an old grandma.

And OMG guys! Guess who's out of it's ball, again! - it's Manene! :p

I thought Mikoto was cute. And I liked that she sounded like your typical older Japanese woman. She sounded realistic. xD;;

When was Manene out? ^o^;

Yes, we did see little kid versions of Ash, Gary, Misty, May and Dawn all in pre-school throughout the series.

So they definitely age up till now.
I have never seen these. Pics? Anyway this was a great episode even if they battle was one sided. I just loved Shinji's rage. We need more of that epicness.

Well, I did expect Paul to get his butt served on a platter by Brandon, so that sorta makes me happy. Didn't see the Lairon coming though, so it was a 3 on 6 battle, right? (I knew it . . . I was thinking he'd send out Torterra at least . . . maybe he was saving him for his battle with Candice?)

The obvious Angry Paul rage was nice, I'll admit. Zoey's little rage fit at him was expected too, but too bad they didn't let him take a shoujo-punch from Zoey. (xD . . . hahaha.)

Okay, so they didn't say anything about the whole "Brandon-you-are-the-father" theory . . . YET. After seeing the preview for DP129, I have this strange feeling that we may get our wish . . . *never give up! don't stop believing!* I mean, seriously, the looks and everything have it. Maybe there's an obvious reason why Brandon didn't acknowledge them as family . . . I dunno. *fingers crossed* He's almost always so damn serious.

Still, it was great to see the Battle Frontier, as well as the Kanto references to bring us up to speed. But the best touch was the snippet of Reggie's battle . . . and yeah, I wasn't the only one who noticed that Paul didn't seem to age at all in the flashback . . . I thought Reggie looked a bit younger though (maybe it's because he lacked his signature APRON), but that may have just been me. XD

Oh, and we knew Paul would be quite miffed once he learned that Ash beat Brandon when his own older brother could not. The look was memorable indeed.

I still love how Brandon's cool as a cucumber during a battle while Paul's all riled up so easily. hahaha.

Altogether, I thought this was mainly a WIN (for the very interesting battle), but a FAIL for not mentioning . . . well, the obvious connection. Oh well . . . here's hoping for next week! (it would be a good time to do it)

- Juuchan17

Last edited:
Examples of the main characters shown as children (there was one just two episodes ago, guys! If you count Nozomi as a main character, that is... ^^;).

youngtakeshi.jpg

littlekasumismall.png

satoshiandshigerukids.png

babykasumiscreamsmall.jpg

hikaridressedherselfsma.jpg

And many, many more. xD; And don't even get me started on the Roketto-dan...

I thought Mikoto was cute. And I liked that she sounded like your typical older Japanese woman. She sounded realistic. xD;;
...mmm, nup. I still found her annoying ;-)
When was Manene out? ^o^;
TR's second scene - the first in front of the pyramid.
(I knew it . . . I was thinking he'd send out Torterra at least . . . maybe he was saving him for his battle with Candice?)
Well, I don't think so. Not after he berated Satoshi for using Hayashigame in an ice gym when it has a type disadvantage. That's when Nozomi lost her rag at him!

I know I probably shouldn't but a combination of everything and (one of my favourite) sad piano BGMs made me feel so sorry for Shinji!

Also, I've attached a cap which illustrates just how nonsensical it would be for them not to be related :p

I wanted to break my computer when Reggie called Brandon "Jindai-san"... and then to make it worse Brandon called Paul "Reiji-san no ototo" (Reggie's little brother)
And seriously people, I know it's disappointing but it's ridiculous some of you still believe there's any family connection here... Brandon clearly doesn't know Paul other than the fact he's "Reggie's little brother"

So Zoey was angry at Paul just because of his cold attitute and later the twerps told her Chimchar was originally his
And that was it... she didn't totally crazy hate and kill him as I wanted
And then at the end of the epiosde Candice kidnapped Nozochi and the two run away on a Dodrio... I wanted Nozochi to stay a little longer... oh well... I think they said they're going to train together

And please people, that was REGGIE that suggested Ash and Paul have a full battle... NOT Brandon
I guess dogasu accidently wrote Brandon's name instead of Reggie and everyone just go with it... but check out and you'll see Brandon simply likes this idea after Reggie suggest it first
I also liked how Paul agree in excitement, it may seem strange for him but after he found out Ash beat Brandon that his brother and now himself too couldn't beat, it makes sense

I liked the "flashback" (more of an imagination scene, they just appeared, not scenes from older eps) of the Kanto BF brains and their Pokémon
The flashback to Reggie's battle was also nice... so Reggie has/had a Drapion... anyone know what Brandon told Reggie when he lost? seems like that made both Paul and Turtwig very angry and apparently that's what caused Paul to become what he's now

Finally Paul's Magmar gets a proper appearance, about time...
And that was strange to see Paul randomly use three Pokémon we didn't know he has... especially Lairon since that wasn't shown in the preview

If to put aside the father theory and the fact Nozochi didn't kill Paul... that was a great episode!
Oh and Dogasu, that isn't anything new that Brock was the only one to know about Reggie's missing symbol... he was the only one who saw it at Reggie's home and he talked about it with Paul when they were alone... and Ash DID say in this episode he heard about it from Brock

Next episode seems great but... WTF at J freezing Brandon 0____0 since when she can freeze humans too?! "hey, how much will you pay for this Brandon? it's rare!"
And to these who say the Paul/Brandon battle was "3 on 6" then not really, it was a full battle (6 on 6) but Brandon didn't even need to use all six... the Regi trio were enough
And for "why Brandon was allowed to switch"... the judge (which returned from AG too!) wasn't there... Brock wanted to judge but Paul said they don't need it and decided the rules himself... so that's the rules Paul wanted

And Dogasu... why do you think it's so strange the twerps watch the weather? they're constantly travelling and it makes sense they'd bother to know the weather... they even sleep outside a lot of times...
And I seriously can't understand why you expect the twerps to act like real life "preteens", they never act like that and it's a good thing...

I think I mentioned everything, right?
Oh and thanks to Adamant and Dogasu for the wallpapers, especially Adamant who gave me the PDF too ^_^

Didn't get to see the episode today, because I had to go to a graduation party... -_-; But anyways, it sucks that they aren't related. Maybe their father-son relationship is so messed up that they pretend not to know each other? I just don't get it.

Do we still have any clue why Reggie traveled all the way to Snowpoint just to see Brandon. If they aren't related, they have some sort of bond.

I wonder if it's worth noting that Brandon didn't let any of his Regi's use Lock-On this time around like he did when he battled against Ash.

I finally got around to watch the episode properly and was quite surprised to see Brandon just flat-out trashed Paul without the use of Lock-On :/

That and it indeed was Reggie who suggested the all-out battle between Ash and Paul. Paul's surprised face at that suggestion is quite interesting since he didn't give squat for Ash's competence prior the knowledge that he's Frontier Champion. Also makes me wonder if Ash will just use his Sinnoh Pokémon for their match or if he'll use some of his reserves since he has otherwise battled against Paul with (some of) his current roster. Ah well, the episodes from here on and some weeks forward are definitely going to be thrilling.

I'm happy Brandon didn't mention anything about the new Battle Frontier.

I am still hoping against hope that there is no return adventure in Johto for the Brains, and instead we get an Elite 4 arc.

I am still hoping against hope that there is no return adventure in Johto for the Brains, and instead we get an Elite 4 arc.

Don't get your hopes up. The anime loves to advertise.

As for me, I already posted it on SPPf but I'm not that disappointed that Shinji and Jindai weren't related, the only thing that puzzles me are the coincidences like the two looking so similar, Reiji not having that last symbol and Reiji's name being so close to Regi. That bugs me.

It also doesn't bug me that Shinji lost to Jindai. IIRC, Ash had a lot of trouble with him too and I heard that the win was almost luck.

OMG Where's 2chan with their big screenshots!? I'm dying here!

Or maybe we'll get both and you can stop repeating yourself?

It also doesn't bug me that Shinji lost to Jindai. IIRC, Ash had a lot of trouble with him too and I heard that the win was almost luck.

Yeah, rather funny Ash neglected to mention it took him 2/3 times(first time was questionable because as most of us know he was possessed by that evil ghost spirit) to get the symbol and he fluked out in the third match, mostly because Regice was freshly caught and had no prior training, and Pikachu hit it with nearly every attack it knew, but it kept resting off the damaged and suddenly one Volt Tackle leads to a KO? It was a fluke through and through.

Anyway, i'm glad to see Paul got trashed, finally another loss under his belt.

Because an Elite 4 arc will surely take at lest 2 years to do. Impeccable logic, sir.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom