• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP164: Pochama Goes Astray!

Yeah, this was a BRILLIANT triumph in the series. Rocket-dan was funny, Pochama was even more hilarious... everything just seemed to work.

I wonder though why Iwane wasn't credited as an Animation Director? It really seemed it was more him that Natsume.

If only they did more episodes like this. Even just by reading about it, I know it's good. If there were more episodes like this, I actually wouldn't.... mind... Piplup... nnnot... eeeeeeevolving,thereIsaidit!

I haven't seen it... but based on this thread, I want to. I'll have to wait, unfortunately.

AMAZING EPISODE... I laughed all the way through the first part... Random Thoughts

- Piplup's dreams are funny
- Team Rocket was funny but Piplup and Gible just owned that episode, they're hilarious. To all the other wannabe comic reliefs pokemon on the main cast, look at Piplup and Gible and take notes, cause this is how you do it.
- Gible being scolded by Dawn and Ash in Piplup's fantasy was funny
- Gible biting everything in sight never gets old...
- Is it just me or was Grotle unnecessary in that episode... Dragon Pulse could have done the same thing as energy ball. (ASH USE GIBLE FOR ARCEUS' SAKE)
- Hydro pump's animation looks awesome. Actually the animation was overall awesome throughout the episode... NEW MOVE!!!! goes away to pop open a bottle of champagne and celebrate
- This episode goes with DP142 and DP156 as one of the funniest not only in Sinnoh, but in all of pokemon...
- apologetic Rhyperior in the end was also random... For half a moment there, I expected Barry to come out of the bush and capture him... But then I remembered he didn't have it in DP :(

Two words : Instant Classic

Overall a good and funny a episode:
-Pochama has a wide imagination.
-Lilblueshipping is canon on Pochama's side b*tches!
-Fukamaru, is best Pokémon ever. Trees and rocks must taste good.
-So Dosaidon was not a wild one? Interesting.
-For once I thought Rocketto-dan will do something really good for Pocha, I'm happy that I have been proven wrong. Their acting in this episode was one of the best.
-Habunake easily fails... I'm starting to doubt him/her even more.
-HOMGZ MASUKIPPA USED WINE WHIP AGAIN!

Awesome episode, which practically redeems Piplup in my eyes.
Piplup's fantasies are the best part of the episode.

Yeah, I've said this about a few episodes in the past, but to reiterate; Pokemon needs to be more like this on a regular basis. You can pine for darkness and 'maturity', oh fleeting few, but this stuff is where it's at. Cartoony, slapstick hillarity, funny, funny facial expressions and wacky, WACKY antics. I'm gobsmacked that there are people who oppose this kind of stuff.

And SO...MUCH...BLANK....STARING. Really can't get enough of Gible. When Piplup is yelling it's head off at the guy, you know all it can hear is "blah-blah-blah-blah-blah" before a rusty cog in it's brain scraaaaaaapes forward ever so slightly, prompting it to realise there's a succulant Penguin noggin to nosh on.

And hot damn, that picture of the guy kicking his Raichu in the back of the head. I can't be the only one who laughed out loud, I hope.

+1 for Gravy's post
I hope we'll get such episodes more often, though when you look at the whole of DP - we got a few crazy eps (not all of them was on this level but still...) like Mismagius, Togepi, Gible... now this and probably more that I can't remember at the moment
Also, it was funny when Pip dreamt how it'll win the GF for Dawn XD I wonder what would be Pip's reaction to losing in the GF which will obviously happen

Haha, this episode was awesome. I loved the intro, with everyone sitting in a grassy field watching a meteor shower, when suddenly BAM CONTEST ANNOUNCER OUT OF NOWHERE. That has me going WTF for a moment, until I realized it was Piplup having a dream about him winning a contest for Dawn.

Glad to see my dreams aren't the only ones not making sense. Kinda felt bad for Piplup, though. Even in his dreams he gets bombshelled by Gible. :(

This episode was amazing, I burst into laughter so much I think my heart's exercised enough to add ten years to my lifetime.

Piplup's messed up daydreams. Seriously, those were amazing - we need more of those! Although less of Dawn's creepy eyes, please o_o
Gible. Oh my gosh, Gible, I LOVE that thing! Props for letting it gnaw on trees in the background while everyone else are busy talking and worrying and whatnot. Heck, props for adding background activity in general! Including when Rhyperior was hitting some metal parts to the ground, that was so heavenly random.

Also loved it when James imitated Paul. I dunno, any nod towards Paul's existence is just wonderful because he's such a jerk people can't help but remember.

Everything was amazing. I'll echo the crowd (there better be a crowd!) and say we need more episodes like these! Wacky, crazy and messed up humor. Especially well-executed when done by the good AD's.

Rhyperior: "I. Hate. This. Stupid. Cage. Take. THIS!"

And let it be known that Team Rocket is now "Rocketto-Dosai-dan"

My favorite part was the Piplup Radar moment of Gible's. Yeah, I knew it was going to happen. Gible didn't care and fired it off anyway.

The first half of this episode was funnier than the second half. The expressions were great, Rhyperior was funny, as was the Piplup abuse and Gible.

Sadly as the ep went on, it just turned into the usual TR tricks Piplup, tricks Pikachu/Piplup into a cage and they blast them off deal we've seen a hundred times.

Still a good episode though. If this is the last Piplup-centric ep of the series, at least they went out with a good one.

The Dawn X Piplup shippers are going to love analyzing this episode, that's for sure. It's pretty obvious that Piplup has a hard-on for her.

Still don't get how Pipsqueak didn't recognize Team Rocket, especially given that Meowth was talking to him... but methinks that Piplup didn't care at all who he was talking to, since he felt unloved by Dawn. He ended up believing them...

Rocket-dan seems to use あなた quite a bit... I thought that was sort of taboo in Japan?

I'd comment about the Japanese seiyuu, but apparently I can't do that. I'll wait for the dub so I can understand everything - let's just hope that TPCi keeps the hilarity. That was seriously awesome (despite it being a bit random).

Having rewatched it, I noticed something I missed earlier - was it just me, or was Pochama looking at his own reflection in the river the second time he's killed by Fukamaru? :lol: Vain bastard. I love that penguin and its abuse so much.

Rhyperior: "I. Hate. This. Stupid. Cage. Take. THIS!"

I laughed so hard when I read this

My favorite part was the Piplup Radar moment of Gible's. Yeah, I knew it was going to happen. Gible didn't care and fired it off anyway

Yeah, that was a little predictable... but what I found was unexpected was that Gible thought of it without being prompted by Ash or any of the main cast... The blank stare might hide a genius of a pokemon ;)

I laughed so hard when I read this

Me too! and... it actually sounds like something that crazy Rhyperior would actually say 0__o it really was totally random... why the Johto did it attack an empty broken cage?! 0__0 this only makes this ep even more awesome XD

It has the same digital effect as Water Gun and it's much bigger.
That has to be Hydro Pump!

Yeah, I think so too

I guess there's an exception to every rule... although Piplup will probably still lose a move.

What move and why?, it only knows three (Bubblebeam, Peck and Whirlpool) if this is a new move and it learns it, it will have the 4 moves they are trying to get most pokemon in the anime to have.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom