• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion - The Next Generation

So good to see more confirmation! I really am going to like this cast a lot!
Save the dub score (not Goldfarb's fault, I don't blame him, and at least we aren't being tricked like prior times so I appreciate the honesty up front he's sticking around), Roy, the Narrator, and some Pokemon voices, I am liking most of what I heard to start: certainly, TPCi has left a first better impression here in the new Series, than they did in BF/MoMP to me to begin.

Why are people certain it's Goldfarb and not a new dub composer or something?

Why are people certain it's Goldfarb and not a new dub composer or something?
It might not be Ed, but a lot of the chimes and synth sound like his work, to me anyway (I could be wrong, though, but it's very emblematic of what I heard from him thus far).

TPCi is going to TPCi when it comes to BGM, though, that's for sure (Season 15 started this trend, but I won't fault Loeffler or Manny for it, since neither has been in charge from Seasons 17 onward in this department)

So Sprigatito is dubbed over, but it's Buckland, not Natochenny: interesting.

Do we know who Natochenny is in this Series? I'm curious. I was never a big fan of her Ash or Delia renditions (the latter grated more, but I had always been critical of the former because I held her first predecessor in very high regard in the role), but maybe this is a major role she will impress me on at last?

I knew they dubbed it's voice. It sounds good regardless though.
I actually like it: all things considered, Kira did a good job. The only ones I don't like so far are the trainer's Espeon and Charmander, but it's just a trailer. Rattata is very meh, it's OK, no strong feelings one way or the other.

I can't tell what to think on the script writing, yet, but so far I'm liking whoever this is more than I did JCC in charge of it on his own- and it's the first time the dub writing hasn't irked me post-2006 (no "Hold the phone" or "Knock its block off" stuff here).

Here's everything we know about episode 1's cast so far:
https://www.pocketmonsters.net/episodes/viewep/2976/VA
Thanks! Sarah is only in a minor role here to start, but interesting, the female student with brown hair was good from her to me.

Hurts my heart to see thus far my least favorite Pokémon voices are from some VAs I have liked quite a lot in other instances (I liked Erica's Nurse Joy in the later 4Kids dub second most of all the dub incarnations over the years, even if Megan's was my favorite & remains so even in JN, but her Espeon is yikes so far, IMO, and BBT's Charmander is...not great, he was better as Burgh in BW & Dr. Fuji in M22 even if there I preferred Goede's rendition personally), maybe it's a direction thing? Mrs. Ortiz has seemed to struggle with Pokémon voices specifically, vs past directors to me, her human work however is largely thus far better in Horizons than it was in XY-JN however to me FWIW.

That said, Lisa got Sprigatito bullseye-correct, that couldn't have been more perfect: well done there, Mrs. Ortiz, Buckland seems to be the ideal choice and Ann is actually solid, too, IMO.

The only ones I really think need some work are Friede (right casting, deep timbre though), Roy, and Lucius (Steve, what are you doing?), everything else seems passable so far.

Well, here's my thoughts on the sneak peek/preview dubbed:

- Lucius is how you take a fantastic VA, and give him the exact wrong direction: Steven J. Blum, sir, what on Earth is this? It sounds seductive, gruff, and unnatural: Mrs. Ortiz, please work on this for the actual episodes, when he returns.

- Liko's voice fits her pretty well, but it going a bit higher would help her VA sound more age appropriate: she does very well in soft-spoken or excited scenes, but gets a bit too deep when getting contemplative or serious in her diary moments or thinking softly- hopefully, Reynoso works on this, but she's pretty good to start!

Reynoso's Liko in her debut >>>>> Natochenny & K. Rogers' Ash performances in their debuts in MoMP, and it seems TPCi has finally cast a major lead VA in a Series that isn't grating on me and VERY irritating to the ears, after a whopping 17 years at the helm.

The last time I genuinely loved a lead protagonist dub VA in Pokémon & thought it was a perfect fit for the character (whoever was responsible for the recast behind the scenes at TPCi/TAJ-- you made an awful decision, IMO, no offense to Mrs. Natochenny), was Veronica Taylor/Kathleen McInerney's Ash in AG145 back in July of 2006, almost two decades ago: it seems 2023 is at last, my year, I guess?

- Marc Thompson is obviously imitating Wayne Grayson's Machop, obviously, it's okay.

- Sarah Natochenny is fine as the girl with brown hair at the start of the episode in HZ, probably my favorite role from her since Cheryl and Buneary in DP (though that saga is when I began to go from more or less still being able to sit through, to outright hating the English dub as a child for the most part, and I loathed her Ash through the first 1/4 of that saga in particular, she had those roles I did enjoy from her tbf). She seems like a very nice person, contrary to what I had believed she'd be like when she took over the role, so it's a shame I had never found the roles she took over to grow on me very much even if they did for some.

- Ugh, Goldfarb (???)...3:16-3:17 sounds like a circus when Ann is being introduced, completely unfitting music. Why not keep the Japanese OST in 2023, TPCi, just why?

- Rob Morrison is obviously imitating Eric Stuart's Poliwhirl, it's...okay, but sounds a bit fatter than before for some reason?

- 3:48, "Neigh?" I think Ann's VA meant "Hey?" Her VA is perfect for her, IMO, I like it a lot and it sounds like a sweet, curious young girl, but a bit weird there?

- Does everyone have to add the phrase "Ya know" to the end of a sentence in TPCi's dubs? This wasn't really a thing often at all in the original 4Kids English dub, and Sarah's Ash really began it in Season 9: what's with this verbal tic they seem fond of? Hopefully, in the actual airings, it finally goes away.

- Erica, really, "ESPEEEEEEEE" now...you can do better than that, why I made the opera remark earlier.

- They're going back to pronouncing Kanto the way they did in the 4Kids dub, huh? It's Kah-nto, not Kan-to, but I have a nostalgic fondness for that pronunciation even if it's all wrong...so I'll accept it.

- No to Billy Bob Thompson's Charmander, all wrong, just no. It sounds like a 5 year old trying to babble, and Goldfarb's music choice there, also dreadful: ugh, that particular scene, all wrong with the chime synth.

- That boy sounds 20 years too old, ick. It's okay, as he's a nothing character, so it's fine.

- Lisa Ortiz (???) is good as the headmaster/principal, I like it, sounds pretty genuine.

- Ah, yes, "Ring? Ring? Ring?" at the start, I remember back in EP002 the "Ring, ring, ring, phone call, phone call, ring, ring, ring?" nod and I liked that.

- Oshawott always had one of the best modern Pokémon dub voices, so it's good to see Lisa reprising the role.

- "Nice to meet ya" could just be "Nice to meet you," I'm just saying...again, a Natochenny Ash-ism I hope goes away.

- The Rotom Dex doesn't sound like a 2 year old baby with a lisp like it did in JN (easily the worst thing I've ever heard from Ortiz, disgusting, even if some of you found it funny I did not) & not like it's on helium as it did in SM, so needless to say, it works for me. This is the most tolerable dub VA for a Dex since XY, to me, sure I will always have a fondness for Stellate, Stuart, Lillis, and Thompson's takes, but Robinson's is better than half the others who took over the role & a welcome change in HZ to me.

Celebrates "Kay"...is...gone...forever!!! Thank you for just saying the word "OKAY"

- 8:12, Ed, why the circus theme when Sprigatito is released? Come on, Ed, come on...

- Sprigatito is perfect, has my favorite English dub VA besides Ann in HZ so far.

- Ed...again, Ed...not everything needs to sound funny all the time, 9:46, my God, find something else to synth besides flutes and chimes please- Ed, that theme does not fit a cat-like Pokemon about to jump off a roof, for god sakes!

- The last scene is pretty good.

7/10, I may have gotten Goldfarb'd for 10 minutes but I got through a dub episode scenes without getting really annoyed or upset for the first time since late AG in Season 8? Wow!

Side Note: "Is she psychic?" is the first time the English dub has made me crack a genuine laugh since DP002 way back in early Season 10, I largely groaned through JCC's "jokes" but this worked for me! Actual, legitimate, and clever humor, I'm shocked!

Last edited:
This was only the 1st half of the episode. The 2nd half is what's really going to matter. The dub pull through, always will.
Whoever the script writer is, did a shockingly good job so far: I didn't hear any of the rad-isms that had been introduced in English dub Season 9 here (e.g. "Why we didn't catch us any," "You've just gotta keep on truckin'," "So psyched," "Kay," "O'course," "Raise the roof," etc. etc., and personally, I'm glad about that, they always irked me for decades) save "ya know" and "meet ya," but I'm hopeful that will go away in time.

I'm impressed, and the dub has largely let me down in recent years: Goldfarb's HZ stuff is better than his SM-JN stuff to me, but I still think he needs work in serious situations or somber ones the most. The VA work is better than it has been in decades, to me, and that's just great even if there are some performances I had a few issues with: the music situation is worse than it was in the first 16 years IMO, but TPCi likes their dub scores, so it can't be helped sadly.

Wait, is Sarah Natochenny voicing?
I was also gonna say Roy’s probably voiced by Sarah Natochenny, but idk there’s a chance he is

Wait, is Sarah Natochenny voicing?
I was also gonna say Roy’s probably voiced by Sarah Natochenny, but idk there’s a chance he is
She’s the girl with brown hair at the start of the episode, Anjali K. is dub Roy.

@snowmint They rescored most of it, sadly, Ed’s stuff is not as unlistenable as usual but it’s still pretty laughable a lot of the time.

Back
Top Bottom