• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

How noticeable was it? There must have been a specific motive anyways since the original was kept earlier in this same series.

It still made animalistic roars, but I'm very curious as to why the change was made - feels like it would've been more work to give it a dub voice, especially since Dragonite and Milotic kept their voices.

How noticeable was it? There must have been a specific motive anyways since the original was kept earlier in this same series.
Possibly to be consistent with Paul's Garchomp a few episodes ago having a dub voice. I'd rather them be consistent with the previous appearances of Cynthia's Garchomp specifically, but it is what it is, I suppose.

Possibly to be consistent with Paul's Garchomp a few episodes ago having a dub voice. I'd rather them be consistent with the previous appearances of Cynthia's Garchomp specifically, but it is what it is, I suppose.

I think they have been even more inconsistent than before as of lately. Because Horace's Bayleef was kept undubbed, but a few episodes later they dub Ash's Bayleef, a Pokemon who's voice they have previously kept undubbed for the past 20+ years.

Plus just as you mentioned, Cynthia's Garchomp was always kept undubbed for the past 15 years including in it's earlier most recent appearances in Journeys, but then out of nowhere it gets a dubbed voice.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they start giving Charizard a dub voice too. Or if they replace Ikue Otani with a dubbed voice for Ash's Pikachu in the upcoming Gen 9 anime.

I think they have been even more inconsistent than before as of lately. Because Horace's Bayleef was kept undubbed, but a few episodes later they dub Ash's Bayleef, a Pokemon who's voice they have previously kept undubbed for the past 20+ years.

Plus just as you mentioned, Cynthia's Garchomp was always kept undubbed for the past 15 years including in it's earlier most recent appearances in Journeys, but then out of nowhere it gets a dubbed voice.
The dub for the most part seems to cast Pokémon by species rather than by individual members of said species (which I disagree with as I mentioned; I'm not defending them, but I believe that's their "logic"). Cynthia's Garchomp being dubbed wasn't exactly "out of nowhere" because Paul's Garchomp was dubbed by the same VA a few episodes prior. So if Horace's Bayleef appeared again I wouldn't be surprised if they did start dubbing it.

At this point I feel like it's that the dub doesn't want to license the voice tracks (besides ash Pikachu) for international use.

At this point I feel like it's that the dub doesn't want to license the voice tracks (besides ash Pikachu) for international use.
I don't think that would be a problem. If anything, I hope the reason isn't that they do this in order to get residuals from the Pokémon dub verses as they do with the dub BGM when it's used in foreign versions. I'm not an expert so I don't know if that's something they can actually do. That would be too much greedy in my opinion.

That might be true in some cases (for example, certain Pokémon in the movies that were voiced by Japanese celebrities like the spiky-eared Pichu in M12 and the Hippopotas in M18) but I don't think it makes sense as a general reason why, since even taking into account the Pokémon species that they've started dubbing now, there are still a good number who are always or almost always left undubbed, and sometimes they're even voiced by the same people in Japanese (for instance, the same person who voices Goh's Mantyke and blue Flabébé which are left undubbed also voices his Raichu which is dubbed).

The fourth part of the Masters Eight tournament sees Ash (Sarah Natochenny) finally stepping up to the fray to face Steven Stone (Christopher Collet). Professor Oak (James Carter Cathcart) and Ash's past mons (including Jason Griffith, Sean Kenin, Stephen Fu, Abe Goldfarb, Bill Rogers) prepare to cheer him on.

This is the last dub episode for now Canada wise as there won't be one next week.

They'll be airing a bunch of Christmas specials instead.

Next episode, it's Chloe time.

Or is it?

Gotta say, when it comes to Bill Rogers as Brock, I think my favorite part of his performance is when the character went girl crazy, especially when Brock would get butt jabbed by Crogunk.
I find it extra funny because Bill Rogers also voices Croagunk. So he essentially butt jabs himself.

Good to be back doing these after a Crimbo lie down.

This week Ray Chase really gets to shine in the last major time Cerise and his family are relevant. He gets to meet Grover played by Brook Chalmers and we even get to see some of Cerise's past too where he's voiced by Julia McIlvaine (Ray's wife).

Pinery (Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld) and Lana (Rohana Kenin and via flashback) appear again too.

Back
Top Bottom