• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

I’m hoping the English dub will premiere earlier (because Comic Con), but at this point, idk.
Same. I really hope they don't repeat what they did with the mainline Series & start anew: this is their chance to make right a lot of prior wrongs IMO (VA, music, writing, editing): we'll see, though, if they treat it as a continuation of where things are right now w/o Ash there I don't feel an obligation to watch it dubbed racing through the episodes in English even once to see how many tracks of the OST are kept, it'll more or less not interest me too much personally (just speaking for myself) and I'll stick to the subs period instead.

(I agree with @Charmander4 that w/o Ash and co there anymore, it would be the right thing to do to give those VAs roles in the new Series as an olive branch/peace offering to quell down the bad blood that's been there between the main VA casts, as it's an all-new cast of characters, what I'm expecting them to do is just cast a whole bunch of LA archetypal anime VAs in main roles like Valenzuela, Saab, Sheh, and the like but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's not what I'm expecting there)

Even if Goldfarb doesn't return, I truly hope they just leave the OST alone (it's 2023, I could forgive it back then more through 2010 as that was par for most at the time, but now no one does it save the NY based dubs of PKMN, YGO, and Evolutions in LA): the English dub has needed a new script writer after 2006 (either the script writing since TPCi took over has been so closely translated but injected with slang, rhymes, and alliterations no one those ages would speak it's almost robotically hip esp. in JN, or it's so off from what was originally said OR so obnoxiously written, it's impossible to relate to the characters as kids speaking like adults instead- was particularly awful in the DP & XY dubs, IIRC), so whoever takes over duties in English from JCC, you have my support if you just translate things straight but hopefully you have a good sense of humor that I believe departed the dub decades ago and could use a return IMO.

Last edited:
I suspect the english version will come before, maybe October.
That doesn’t seem too likely since Ultimate Journeys has not ended in the US yet (we got the Masters 8 tournament start in February, then the last of Ultimate Journeys in like June, and I guess the last 11 episodes in late October), so according to that pattern, we’ll most likely see it in 2024.
Then again, it depends on if we go back to TV like Disney XD or CN. I'm suspecting this won't be a Netflix dub unlike journeys.
Yeah, otherwise we’ll see it in February.

Do you all think the English dub will premiere earlier, or later, than the Italian dub? That's interesting.
If we're talking only about the US, and assuming the English dub stays on Netflix, It could very well premiere later, especially since a November release would be too early when the MPM arc won't be made available before September. Also, the first episode of S25, JN091, aired in Italy on September 10, 2022, over a month before the first batch of the same season was added on the American version of Netflix. But I think the English dub of Horizons will probably premiere on Canada anyway just like it's happening lately.

I just like to think maybe in the US, the Dub goes back to TV and ya'll get a more normal distribution schedule, but Netflix might still affect even that too if we're being honest.
Indeed, I wonder if we'll ever go back to it being on the TV here (the last time it was = SM, but even then, Disney XD is not a channel many get over here as it's complex cable/satellite so more expensive than CN).

I'm glad it airs in Canada on the "new CN" as it's called, or it'd be hard to access just to check in on it at times, for us in the States.

I suspect the english version will come before, maybe October. Then again, it depends on if we go back to TV like Disney XD or CN. I'm suspecting this won't be a Netflix dub unlike journeys.
I'm fairly confident that it will be on Netflix. If they're willing to make their own Pokemon animated series, then I suspect that Netfilx would still want to release the Pokemon anime for the U.S. despite taking their sweet time in releasing new episode batches. I highly doubt that they'll go back to traditional TV channels. Cartoon Network definitely won't air Horizons. They were airing the anime on autopilot for years, had virtually no promotion or rerun slots and they've been relying less on third party shows for the channel for years.

Disney XD is a possibility, or at least more likely than Cartoon Network simply because they are still airing anime, but that would arguably still be a problem. More homes probably have Netflix as opposed to a channel like Disney XD that cost extra on top of regular cable. Disney XD treated SM really well, had frequent promotions for it and eventually had rerun slots for the series, but I'm not sure how much exposure the dub had. Journeys probably had more exposure on Netflix than it would have if it had stayed on Disney XD even with the poor release schedule in mind.

I think that the dub will stay on streaming and that's less due to the anime's popularity and more to do with just how the TV landscape has changed. More kids are watching shows on streaming services than on regular TV. If Netflix would just have a consistent release schedule like they did for Journeys' first season, I think more people would be fine with it. Maybe the tease at Comic-Con next week will provide more information on when it will be released, but I'm still pretty sure that it will stay on Netflix for better or for worse.

If it left Disney XD... Why would it go back at all? That should never have been a thought. Netflix, YouTube or pokemon.com at this rate.

If it left Disney XD... Why would it go back at all? That should never have been a thought. Netflix, YouTube or pokemon.com at this rate.
I doubt it will, but you have to pay to get a Netflix subscription, basically.

Pokemon.com would be nice, they have Seasons 1-2 and 17-25 on there (save the Jynx episodes 4Kids dubbed, a shame, you can find them online elsewhere though but why TPCi is so scared of Black Jynx these days IDK- perceived as a racist stereotype fear, I get it, but those episodes were English dubbed in 1998-1999 so a shame not in circulation now).

I wouldn't mind if Netflix aired Pokemon Horizons, just wish the gap between Canada and it wasn't so big, wouldn't mind Canada aired a few episodes before Netflix like they did in Series 23
It's a bit funny the original Pokemon English dubbed Anime ended in July like the current one is going to as well, but it was in the United States in July 2006 whereas here, the current Pokemon English dubbed Anime will be ending in Canada in July 2023. Funny trivia, for everyone ("Pasta La Vista!" wasn't the last 4Kids dubbed production for Pokémon though, it was M08, in release order- in this case, M23 was dubbed before "The Rainbow and the Pokémon Master!" so that, will be in reverse).

It's a bit funny the original Pokemon English dubbed Anime ended in July like the current one is going to as well, but it was in the United States in July 2006 whereas here, the current Pokemon English dubbed Anime will be ending in Canada in July 2023. Funny trivia, for everyone ("Pasta La Vista!" wasn't the last 4Kids dubbed production for Pokémon though, it was M08, in release order- in this case, M23 was dubbed before "The Rainbow and the Pokémon Master!" so that, will be in reverse).
I didn't realize 4kids movie 8 was the last pokemon they did.

I didn't realize 4kids movie 8 was the last pokemon they did
It went to home video and DVD on September 19, 2006, basically.

It's an interesting bookend for 25 years of the English dub over the various companies...

4Kids/TAJ was S01-S05 & M01-M05, as well as the first 5 Pikachu Shorts in collaboration with each other

4Kids alone was S06-S08, Pikachu Short "Gotta Dance" & M06-M08

TAJ/PUSA alone was S09-S10 & M09

DuArt/TPCi was S11-S19 & M10-M19

SDI Media/TPCi was S20-S25 & M20-23

...in that the first dub episode title was a direct translation of the Japanese one, and the final one is too, interestingly enough so there's that!

Back
Top Bottom