• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

Had 4Kids continued dubbing Pokémon (at least before they went out of business in 2012 and ceased to exist entirely in 2017), here's some examples of who I imagined would've voiced characters in the Diamond and Pearl series and the first two seasons of Best Wishes:

Dawn - Lisa Ortiz
Paul - Jason Griffith
Barry - Wayne Grayson
Zoey - Megan Hollingshead
Cynthia - Kathleen Delaney
Kenny - Bella Hudson (though she already voices him in the TPCi dub, she probably would've voiced him from the start under 4Kids)
Hunter J - Kathleen Delaney
Cyrus - Scottie Ray

Iris - Bella Hudson
Cilan - Sam Riegel
Trip - Greg Abbey
Burgundy - Tara Sands
Georgia - Carrie Keranen

Wouldn't 4kids just used the same people that came in the TPCi seasons since they entered the dub ing industry in NY at that time frame still?

Wouldn't 4kids just used the same people that came in the TPCi seasons since they entered the dub ing industry in NY at that time frame still?
Yes, but they probably wouldn't have become more prominent until later on. Especially after 4Kids left the dubbing industry for good.

Yes, but they probably wouldn't have become more prominent until later on. Especially after 4Kids left the dubbing industry for good.
About that... they still exist. They're now named Konami Cross Media and mainly exist for Yu-Gi-Oh. So, technically 4kids is still here, just for Konami's things now.

It’s been a couple of months since To Be A Master released on Netflix, and we still have no official confirmation as who took over JCC’s roles (as James, Meowth, Prof Oak, and Gary) in these final episodes.

I’m speculating that they perhaps want to keep it under wraps for some reason, and want us to believe that it’s still JCC voicing those characters. Since his name was still credited in almost every episode one of his characters made an appearance (except the Bannette episode).

About that... they still exist. They're now named Konami Cross Media and mainly exist for Yu-Gi-Oh. So, technically 4kids is still here, just for Konami's things now.
Konami Cross Media and 4kids are separate studios actually despite company uses former 4Kids voice actors as well doing Yugoih stuff.

Fun Fact: Originally, Hollywood star Vincent D'Onofrio was supposed to voice Arceus in the movie Jewel of Life. However, due to conflicts with his agent, it never happened. Who do you think would've made great celebrity voices in the movies?

Some off of my mind include,

Robin Williams
Liam Neeson
Tim Curry
Mako
Tony Jay
Grey DeLisle

Last edited:
It’s been a couple of months since To Be A Master released on Netflix, and we still have no official confirmation as who took over JCC’s roles (as James, Meowth, Prof Oak, and Gary) in these final episodes.

I’m speculating that they perhaps want to keep it under wraps for some reason, and want us to believe that it’s still JCC voicing those characters. Since his name was still credited in almost every episode one of his characters made an appearance (except the Bannette episode).
Such a unique situation.

Fun Fact: Originally, Hollywood star Vincent D'Onofrio was supposed to voice Arceus in the movie Jewel of Life. However, due to conflicts with his agent, it never happened. Who do you think would've made great celebrity voices in the movies?

Some off of my mind include,

Robin Williams
Liam Neeson
Tim Curry
Mako
Tony Jay
Grey DeLisle
Tony Jay has died more than 15 years ago while Robin Williams died nearly 10 years but it would be cool if they do guest appearance in series if they still alive though.

Tony Jay has died more than 15 years ago while Robin Williams died nearly 10 years but it would be cool if they do guest appearance in series if they still alive though.
I know. I was thinking they would've done guest appearances in movies from the OS or Advanced series. Same with Mako.

I know. I was thinking they would've done guest appearances in movies from the OS or Advanced series. Same with Mako.
Oh yes, possibly Tony would it respired his role as Folo in Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

There’s no source confirming that she is the one who makes that decision. But ever since she took over the role of Voice Director, that’s when we started to see a lot of Pokemon getting a dub voice including ones that previously were kept undubbed.

Pretty much every new Pokemon from Gen 7 onwards has gotten a dub voice, excluding the box art legendaries.
No doubt Garchomp, Metagross, Grookey, Noctowl, Charizard, Delibird, Arbok, Togedemaru, Meltan, Melmetal, Inteleon, Bayleef, Kecleon, Staryu, Pidgey, Krabby, & Milotic are dubbed.........

For Horizons I've seen it theorized that it has to do with the dub being unionized now. The way the American actors' union (SAG-AFTRA) works is that you perform in a certain amount of unionized productions and then you become eligible (and also obligated) to join. Non-Americans (such as the Japanese VAs) typically aren't allowed to join SAG-AFTRA though and even in cases where they could, it would require a lot of unwanted paperwork. So with that in mind, it simply doesn't seem to be a realistic possibility for their voices to be used in a long-term unionized production. They still do retain Ikue Otani's Pikachu voice though, so for this theory to be true there would have to be some special exception in place for that specifically. But I'm not sure how exactly that would work...

For Horizons I've seen it theorized that it has to do with the dub being unionized now. The way the American actors' union (SAG-AFTRA) works is that you perform in a certain amount of unionized productions and then you become eligible (and also obligated) to join. Non-Americans (such as the Japanese VAs) typically aren't allowed to join SAG-AFTRA though and even in cases where they could, it would require a lot of unwanted paperwork. So with that in mind, it simply doesn't seem to be a realistic possibility for their voices to be used in a long-term unionized production. They still do retain Ikue Otani's Pikachu voice though, so for this theory to be true there would have to be some special exception in place for that specifically. But I'm not sure how exactly that would work...

So far the only Pokemon that have consistently kept their original Japanese voice are Ikue Otani’s Pikachu (with some exceptions), Charizard, and Dragonite.

There has been some inconsistencies like Iris’ Emolga keeping her original Japanese VA, but Bonnie’s Dedenne getting dubbed. Same thing with Cynthia’s Garchomp suddenly getting dubbed when it was kept undubbed during it’s early appearances in Journeys. Same with Horace’s Bayleef being undubbed, but Ash’s Bayleef getting dubbed, and then undubbed in To Be a Master.

Last edited:
That union tidbit would be interesting about why they dub over the most of the Jpn voices now.

So far the only Pokemon that have consistently kept their original Japanese voice are Ikue Otani’s Pikachu (with some exceptions), Charizard, and Dragonite.
Not even Charizard is kept anymore. Friede's is dubbed.

And fun fact: it was also dubbed (by Eric Stuart) in EP056 all the way back in the original series.

Back
Top Bottom