• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DVD Commentary Rocks!

Bulbajer

Bulbasaur rocks. Period.
Reaction score
Personally, I really enjoyed listening to the DVD commentary for the first and fourth movies. Are there any other movies with commentary?

The third movie has a commentary as well. My copy of the DVD is scratched and won't play it properly, so I'm not sure what all they reveal on it.

I don't think any of the others have them, unfortunately.

The third movie has a commentary as well. My copy of the DVD is scratched and won't play it properly, so I'm not sure what all they reveal on it.

I've heard the third movie commentary but not much is revealed in it. Michael Haigney does some of his Pokemon voices, he mistakes Entei for a Fire and Psychic type (but what did you expect from 4Kids) and for some reason seems to think that his wife is in an insane asylum or something like that, driven crazy by her husband's obsession with the Unknown (she didn't, she'd only left him).

He also explains the reasoning behind moving one of the scenes from the credits making it the penultimate scene. In the original, Sully Snowdon is only returned from the Unknown dimension during the end credits but in the dub Spencer Hale is returned straight after the Unown are sent back to their dimension by Entei. He explained that, as western audiences leave the cinema during the credits (which was pretty much true, no-one stayed to watch them when I saw the dub on the big screen), he didn't want them to leave and think that Molly was left as an orphan. It's one of the only changes 4Kids have made that I agree with.

Isn't that the commentary where 4kids said Ash's father will appear in Season 5....which was Master Quest at the time?

LOL @ 4kids and their delusions.

Wasn't the third movie commentary also the one where they said that Charizard's voice (which is the same as Lizardon's) is really the sound of a lion's roar played backwards? Or am I mis-remembering things?

So just Movies 1, 3, and 4? That's what I thought. :( Thanks guys. To answer Redyakuza's question: the commentaries on the 1st and 3rd movies are by the director and producer of the English version. The commentary on the 4th movie includes the director, the producer, and four voice actors: Veronica Taylor (Ash), Rachel Lillis (Misty, Jessie), Maddie Blaustein (Meowth), and Eric Stuart (Brock, James).

Wasn't the third movie commentary also the one where they said that Charizard's voice (which is the same as Lizardon's) is really the sound of a lion's roar played backwards? Or am I mis-remembering things?

Yeah they did say that too.

The commentary on the 4th movie includes the director, the producer, and four voice actors: Veronica Taylor (Ash), Rachel Lillis (Misty, Jessie), Maddie Blaustein (Meowth), and Eric Stuart (Brock, James).

If you can call that a commentary. Those present never even discuss the movie, just answer questions posed to them by Haigney or Grossfeld (I can't remember which) about the show and the movie and then they stop about half-way through. It's the kind of thing that should have been a DVD extra, since it seems like everyone turned up and decided they didn't really have much to say during the movie (we'd probably have heard Haigney mis-identify at least three Pokemon and talk about things that are definitely maybe going to happen in the show... possibly).

The only thing I really recall from the 4Ever commentary is a lengthy discussion on why Professor Oak didn't just warn the gang about what was going to happen, and that the whole point of the three additional scenes that 4Kids had animated was because Haigney didn't originally get that Sam was Professor Oak.

The frustrating part is that Pokemon 4Ever was the one movie where 4Kids actually would have had a substantial amount to say. How did they actually go about asking for the new scenes to be added? Were the animators in Japan quick to jump aboard, or did it take some convincing? Who paid for the new scenes to be made? Who came up with the concepts, and who wrote the scripts? How did they decide which scenes to axe in favor of the new ones? Were the animators who worked on those scenes the same ones who worked on the rest of the movie?

Gliscor'd said:
Yeah they did say that too.

Which is funny, because the last time I checked, Miki Shin'ichirou is not a lion.

Who came up with the concepts, and who wrote the scripts?

What I'd most like to know is... what was the point of the new scene with Team Rocket trying to get the apple from Vicious' mecha? Were 4Kids worried that kids might think that Team Rocket were starving to death during the night?

What I'd most like to know is... what was the point of the new scene with Team Rocket trying to get the apple from Vicious' mecha? Were 4Kids worried that kids might think that Team Rocket were starving to death during the night?
I think that was a peach.

I imagine it was to give them an extra bit of screentime. Didn't 4Kids have them say something in the third movie about hoping they'd have a bigger role in the next one?

But, of course, we'll never know for sure because the commentary barely talked about the movie itself.

I seem to recall them saying they hoped Team Rocket or Brock would have a bigger role in the next pokemon movie.

....lol...we know how that turned out. Movie 5 basically ignores Brock and Team Rocket almost completely.

...and...so does almost every movie after that.

I imagine it was to give them an extra bit of screentime. Didn't 4Kids have them say something in the third movie about hoping they'd have a bigger role in the next one?

No, it was Team Rocket themselves who said that in Pokemon 3. I actually thought that line was quite amusing at the time.

WatcherMark said:
No, it was Team Rocket themselves who said that in Pokemon 3.

That's what I meant. 4Kids had Team Rocket say that they wanted more screentime in the next movie. I just couldn't remember if that rewrite happened in the third movie or not.

That's what I meant. 4Kids had Team Rocket say that they wanted more screentime in the next movie. I just couldn't remember if that rewrite happened in the third movie or not.

Oh right, I see. D'oh! Sorry about that, I thought you meant 4Kids said that in the commentary.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom