• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

E3 Nintendo Treehouse Discussion

Grubbin sure is cute. I guess they expected him to be revealed in this Treehouse but they never encountered it.

Glad to see Popplio is probably the slow/bulky one. Defensive Water works. Defensive Grass/Flying definitely wouldn't.

Grubbin sure is cute. I guess they expected him to be revealed in this Treehouse but they never encountered it.

It was probably planned to be in the Treehouse, but instead due to random chance we got that stupid Ledyba instead.

disclaimer: I don't in any way dislike Ledyba, my post is a reflection of my frustration that the first Pokemon encountered wasn't a new species.

Last edited:
So the professor confirmed that the 4 islands are the whole region. This is really sad. Seems like we get a shorter main story and once more no postgame... Pretty dissapointed with that.

The game looks nice. Pokemon design are a good mix. Yungoos looks dumb to me, but the Woodpecker became my new favourite first stage regional bird. Also it seems like we'll get another huge pokedex, which I am thanking god fort this. The new battle mode looks like a new revolutionary mode for competive play.

Music was ok. Like the music inside the players house. The same for the routes. But the battle music against the rival and the trainer sounds happy. I like the wild pokemon battle for the first 6-7 seconds, after that it sounds too random for me making the music less catchy for my taste.

But the graphics...

A mix between gorgeus and awful. While I like the trainer models and the designs for the towns, the routes looks still washed out like in XY. The color grading between light green grass and the sunset looks awful IMO. Also they swapped the pokemon callback with another quicker and more undetailed one, which was really unnecessary. Updatet animations are mostly good.

Also the player moves around like a robot. Eh? I also had the thought that the battles are slightly slower than in Gen VI or is it once again the framerate?

All around a nice presentation, but not very flashed except the new game mode. I expected a decent graphical update so what left was the typical first hour of a pokemon game which are usually not that exciting.

So Stake Out is just Pursuit as an ability. Funny how the legendaries have Mold Breaker built into their signature moves, now we have an ability that developed from a move.

As I expected, not much new stuff, but we did get two new Pokemon, including that fabled woodpecker. So, I'm guessing Yungoos is our regional rodent for this generation, this cute looking rabid weasel/mongoose thing, which kinda makes me think of Poochyena since it was also a early game carnivorous creature, but not a regional rodent. Yungoos also kind of reminds me of fellow angry looking regional rodent Patrat from two generations earlier. Seems like it's a pattern between goofy-looking rodents (Bidoof, Bunnelby) and angry looking ones (Patrat, Yungoos).

Shame we didn't get the English names of Iwanko and Nekkoala, but they will probably be revealed in the next few days.

Elio and Selene the new names for the playable characters?
Usually, the names that we see in prerelease material are just prototypes. Blair/Whitlea, Xavier/Yvonne, etc.

Yeah, and Selene is very close to "Serena", the name of the female X/Y protagonist, so it's definitely not final. Also, I actually did use the names Blair and Whitlea when I played BW1 (Blair for the male in White and Whitlea for the female in Black) and feel they're a lot more fitting than Hilbert and Hilda. Same goes for Xavier and Yvonne in X/Y, since it kinda goes with a bit of a theme naming for the games rather than the standard names player characters tend to get.

The real player characters are probably going to get rather generic names like Jake and Linda or something like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that turned out to be via TM. The earliest non-Fire/Normal move Fennekin can learn is Psybeam so . . . there ya go.

Chespin also learns Rollout while Froakie learns Quick Attack, though in the case of Froakie, they acknowledged Bounce iirc? The same thing still applies.

It was probably planned to be in the Treehouse, but instead due to random chance we got that stupid Ledyba instead.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. The RNG must have hated us and decided to fart out that Ledyba just to spite us. I would have rather seen freaking Grubbin and not Ledyba!

All in all, I'm pretty darned satisfied with what we were shown. Would have liked a Mega but we'll probably get one or two later on. And I'm loving the fact that we'll be able to change our freaking clothes; the very second I can I am removing that hat.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. The RNG must have hated us and decided to fart out that Ledyba just to spite us. I would have rather seen freaking Grubbin and not Ledyba!

All in all, I'm pretty darned satisfied with what we were shown. Would have liked a Mega but we'll probably get one or two later on. And I'm loving the fact that we'll be able to change our freaking clothes; the very second I can I am removing that hat.
We'll probably get notice of the changes to Mega and Synergy/Synchro with the Pokemon Special 2 days from now.

Yep, Fleur Cannon is pretty much confirmed as Fairy type.

Yeah, I would have rather seen Grubbin over Ledyba. Since they stated that Alola was more isolated from other regions, I would have loved them to go the Unova approach and have it be 90% new Pokemon rather than old ones, but I feel they will go the Kalos route and have more old than new Pokemon with probably 70 or 80 new Pokemon.

Also, I'm glad customization is back, and I really hope I can remove the hat, since I was forced to wear a hat and an accessory all the time in X/Y, so I hope that's a step up and adds more diverse player designs.

We'll probably get notice of the changes to Mega and Synergy/Synchro with the Pokemon Special 2 days from now.

I think they definitely have something big planned for mega/synchro evolution, probably has something to do with the bracelets that they declined to really delve into. If it was just regular ole mega evolution, I'm certain we would have seen a mega or two.

I am not sure if graphics are better than XY or not, I guess we'll get to know for sure when the games come out. But that sunset colorization is awful. It should be fixed ASAP.

I really hate "Super effective"/"Effective" informations on the moves. It should be taken back for good and never be mentioned again. It ruins a lot of things.

As for Pokédex, everything seems fine but overall I expected better.

They did say a lot of the gameplay we saw isn't final. I imagine finishing touches like sunset, colours ect will be put in place in some way?
They did since they're still working on the game since we didn't see the Rotomdex yet.

Being able to see your opponent's Pokemon stats is going to break competitive play. XD

I am not sure if graphics are better than XY or not, I guess we'll get to know for sure when the games come out. But that sunset colorization is awful. It should be fixed ASAP.

I really hate "Super effective"/"Effective" informations on the moves. It should be taken back for good and never be mentioned again. It ruins a lot of things.

As for Pokédex, everything seems fine but overall I expected better.

This I agree with so much, having the "Super effective" information on the moves just makes battles far too easy, it takes away the strategic building of teams, and the competitive battling community will go insane over it. I really hope it can be turned off, because then it would make the game FAR too easy.

I mean, I may not be into competitive play, but I know a lot of people are, so I know a lot of people are going to be upset about this. Though it is a minor thing, it did kinda irk me when I saw it, even if I occasionally forget what some types are strong against (like how I use Ground moves on Fighting Pokemon because I'm for some reason convinced that Ground is strong against Fighting).

Did anyone notice the size of that cave entrance we saw on the map of the first island? Pretty much confirms for me that the islands have a lot more to offer than that it appears on the map.

Very happy with what we got, love the shadow effect before battling other trainers. And trainer customization is back, YES.

I'm generally so hyped after this. It's a huuuge improvement from what I thought it was going to be, after seeing it actually being played. I know a lot of it wasn't final too, so I'm even more pumped. I've already got like 5 Pokémon in mind that I want on my teams xD

Yeah, I would have rather seen Grubbin over Ledyba. Since they stated that Alola was more isolated from other regions, I would have loved them to go the Unova approach and have it be 90% new Pokemon rather than old ones, but I feel they will go the Kalos route and have more old than new Pokemon with probably 70 or 80 new Pokemon.

Also, I'm glad customization is back, and I really hope I can remove the hat, since I was forced to wear a hat and an accessory all the time in X/Y, so I hope that's a step up and adds more diverse player designs.

I'm hoping its closer to Hoenn - 2/3rds new, 1/3rd old. Practically no new Pokemon killed Gen 6 for me.

This I agree with so much, having the "Super effective" information on the moves just makes battles far too easy, it takes away the strategic building of teams, and the competitive battling community will go insane over it. I really hope it can be turned off, because then it would make the game FAR too easy.

I mean, I may not be into competitive play, but I know a lot of people are, so I know a lot of people are going to be upset about this. Though it is a minor thing, it did kinda irk me when I saw it, even if I occasionally forget what some types are strong against (like how I use Ground moves on Fighting Pokemon because I'm for some reason convinced that Ground is strong against Fighting).

Rote memorization has nothing to do with team building - it's just boring homework you're required to do because the game doesn't do it for you. Having to memorize Dark is weak to Bug, for instance - is not only non-intuitive but adds no "gameplay" (meaningful choices). It just punishes people for either not doing rote memorization or not having a wiki open during each battle.

Competitive battlers are already supposed to have all 18 types memorized, so I'm not sure why you think this would affect any of them.

Back
Top Bottom