• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

E3 Nintendo Treehouse Discussion

This I agree with so much, having the "Super effective" information on the moves just makes battles far too easy, it takes away the strategic building of teams, and the competitive battling community will go insane over it. I really hope it can be turned off, because then it would make the game FAR too easy.
because you can't just memorize chart effectiveness already? like, if you're a competitive battler and you don't know what's 2x/4x, then you probably straight up suck. also, it's a kids game? so....
So the professor confirmed that the 4 islands are the whole region. This is really sad. Seems like we get a shorter main story and once more no postgame... Pretty dissapointed with that.
they talk about how Alola is four natural islands and a fifth artificial one, however that immediately contradicts the fact that we can see a fifth natural island to the left of the lower-left island. more than likely it's similar to how most island chains are irl: four "main" big islands and several smaller ones.

The use of Ledyba, Caterpie, and Pichu (perhaps we'll get Ledyba and Weedle too?) reminds me of Johto tbh... I get the feeling Johto starters will pop up in Sun/Moon.

Yeah, I would have rather seen Grubbin over Ledyba. Since they stated that Alola was more isolated from other regions, I would have loved them to go the Unova approach and have it be 90% new Pokemon rather than old ones, but I feel they will go the Kalos route and have more old than new Pokemon with probably 70 or 80 new Pokemon.

There are now Iwanko, Nekkoala and Yungoos as early route Pokemon, two of them Normal type. GenVI had only Bunnelby. Going by that we can assume that the overall number of new species is quite a bit higher than last generation.

Holy 4-player battles so hyped! Back in the DPPlHGSS days me and friends would four-way battle in double battles and just attack our partners but it just wasn't the same as what would be a legit four-way battle. So hyped for this. I'll beat you all in a four-way!

There are now Iwanko, Nekkoala and Yungoos as early route Pokemon, two of them Normal type. GenVI had only Bunnelby. Going by that we can assume that the overall number of new species is quite a bit higher than last generation.

My thoughts exactly - at this stage in XY's revelation we had Bunnelby and Fletchling and that was about it. I think it will definitely be higher than XY, I hope.

My thoughts exactly - at this stage in XY's revelation we had Bunnelby and Fletchling and that was about it. I think it will definitely be higher than XY, I hope.

Actually it was about the same really... June 2013 News

Tyrunt, Vivillion, Litleo, Flabebe, Talonflame, Skrelp, Clauncher. Noivern, Helioptile and Gogoat in the anime..

because you can't just memorize chart effectiveness already? like, if you're a competitive battler and you don't know what's 2x/4x, then you probably straight up suck.

Exactly, all it's doing is taking what's in your brain and putting it on the screen.

Wow we got lots of new info, that demo was way longer than I expected! Well in short:

What I loved:
  • Customization officially confirmed!!!! :D
  • Pikipek is the cutest thing, I think I'm choosing it over Rowlet as my flying type (which means I've finally decided on Litten as my starter).
  • Battle Royal looks really fun, can't wait to try it out!
  • Every trainer has a 3D model and is shown during the battle too, this is the best thing ever <3
What I didn't love:
  • It's shown which move is effective :/ I hope you can turn that off or else battling is going to be really boring with almost no thinking required imo. I understand that having to remember all the type weaknesses is near impossible, but I would have liked it better if they just had a chart type available in the battle menu instead of just showing it right away. At least then you still have to think about what type(s) the other Pokémon is and look up the weaknesses yourself.
  • Don't really like the walking animation of the protag, he moves like a robot. It's a nitpicky thing, but weird looking walking animations in games always annoy me :p
  • Ledyba. I mean I love Ledian, but Ledyba was an early mon in X/Y too, it just feels repetitive.
Also totally betting that it's the other starter that's hiding in Lillie's bag ;) Wonder if she stole it...

Omg I neeeed Iwanko after at least the first gym. Maybe they both appear in the forest and cave areas in the North of Melemele? But I think that's the one we need surf to get to? Or maybe Iwanko's habitat is generally forest based and not cave based..

did they say that Iwanko and Nekkoala are early-route though?

They didn't. But Iwanko is seen in the first town and if it & Yungoos don't mirror Poochyena & Zigzagoon I don't know what else will. You could be right about Nekkoala not being on the early routes, but it being revealed together with Iwanko suggests so.

Well, I don't want TOO many new Pokemon, at least 90-100 at the least. I do like how they're going with actual creatures that inhabit Hawaii for some of the new Pokemon.

It would be interesting if they had a theme in the game of non-native invasive Pokemon species and how they might be a problem to native wildlife (something which is an actual problem in Hawaii in real life), and the villain team were like animal rights activists, though I highly doubt that would happen, especially since we already had Team Plasma, and the villain team this generation would probably do things related to the day and night as many people predicted.

-Pokemon design is solid so far. Yungoos is great with that ax crazy smile, and if its Evo isn't named Hungroos I might have to nickname it.
-Those battle interface changes, holy moly. SE/NVE for previously battled Pokemon is a pretty nifty change, and a true quick item button insread of entering the sub menu shaves off a couple of good seconds. In general it felt really speedy.
-Is it me or does route 1 feel fucking MASSIVE? I know its the scale and everything, but there was a longevity to it that reminds me of BW. Those random PCs in the middle of the routes start to make sense.
-The music isn't anything stellar, but at least it feels like Pokemon, XY should have never deviated from the soundfont of the series. Welcome back.
-The slyness of Zygarde, that whole different way to tie in the legendaries, and the 4 islands having guardians. Yeah, Tapu Koko is definitely a Zygarde Core, I can feel it.
-Speaking of Zygarde Cores, is it a rowlet or Squishy in Lillies bag?

All in all i am satisfied. QoL changes, those trainer encounters, better presentation, and it seems like the story starts off with a bang from the start. That effing Ohmori as director reveal though, I have my hesitations.

Well, I don't want TOO many new Pokemon, at least 90-100 at the least. I do like how they're going with actual creatures that inhabit Hawaii for some of the new Pokemon.

It would be interesting if they had a theme in the game of non-native invasive Pokemon species and how they might be a problem to native wildlife (something which is an actual problem in Hawaii in real life), and the villain team were like animal rights activists, though I highly doubt that would happen, especially since we already had Team Plasma, and the villain team this generation would probably do things related to the day and night as many people predicted.

I want at least 100 new Pokemon. At least.

As for the villain group - I'm going to join the flock in guessing they're alchemy-based, what with the references to Azoth, the Philosopher's Stone, alchemical symbols, the sun and rainbows.

Me too, I would like at least 100. We can't really say if we're getting more this time 'cause XY was revealing at the same pace as this pretty much... but they had megas too reveal too. So question is, are megas coming? or are they seriously limited and a post game thing because of this new mechanic/bracelet thing... and how many Pokémon will have this new mechanic over mega evolution...

Yungoos is rivals with a rat, though if it's a new rat or Ratatta is unknown. It's based on the small Asian mongoose, which was introduced to Hawaii to fight non-native rats. However, the mongooses prefer to eat birds and now they're an invasive species as well.

My mind would be blown if Lilly had a Zygarde Core in her bag.
Me too, I would like at least 100. We can't really say if we're getting more this time 'cause XY was revealing at the same pace as this pretty much... but they had megas too reveal too. So question is, are megas coming? or are they seriously limited and a post game thing because of this new mechanic/bracelet thing... and how many Pokémon will have this new mechanic over mega evolution...

My gut tells me we're getting the Synchro Stone evolution from Pokken available for all Pokemon.

There's been no talk on if Iwanko and Nekkoala are early route Pokemon though. All we have so far are Yungoos, Pikipek, and most likely Grubbin.

Back
Top Bottom