• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

E3 Nintendo Treehouse Discussion

Yungoos is rivals with a rat, though if it's a new rat or Ratatta is unknown. It's based on the small Asian mongoose, which was introduced to Hawaii to fight non-native rats. However, the mongooses prefer to eat birds and now they're an invasive species as well.

My mind would be blown if Lilly had a Zygarde Core in her bag.

My gut tells me we're getting the Synchro Stone evolution from Pokken available for all Pokemon.

That would be cool if she was carrying a Zygarde core the entire time :p but I'd hope it's left for later in the story...

Yeah, and plus they said they don't wanna talk about the new bracelet thing yet? So that might not come for a while, I think it might be related to the secret thing the starters and Iwanko hold like everyone's saying. Again though, if more Pokémon are getting the feature, maybe their holding off on showing us all of them unlike XY's pre-release period. Hopefully that's the case and they can stick to just revealing new Pokémon each month..

I want at least 100 new Pokemon. At least.

As for the villain group - I'm going to join the flock in guessing they're alchemy-based, what with the references to Azoth, the Philosopher's Stone, alchemical symbols, the sun and rainbows.

They did mention "Azoth" back in OR/AS, and they also had some small hints of it in Kalos. My guess is that the villain team will be much like Team Flare, or possibly it WILL be Team Flare again, just under a different leader (Malva or Xerosic perhaps). Because it's been a while since we had an old villain team being re-used. I do wonder what Pokemon they would use, I bet one would be Yungoos given how villain teams love early-game rodents.

I just read Yungoos' description on the official site and it says it has a natural rivalry with a "certain other Pokemon" that is very common in Alola. I wonder what that is. A snake? though that would be too similar to a "certain other pair".

Maybe Yungoos is a pre-evolution to Zangoose, though I highly doubt it. It just seems weird that they would re-use an older concept when they have access to the original Zangoose and Seviper.

That would be cool if she was carrying a Zygarde core the entire time :p but I'd hope it's left for later in the story...

Yeah, and plus they said they don't wanna talk about the new bracelet thing yet? So that might not come for a while, I think it might be related to the secret thing the starters and Iwanko hold like everyone's saying. Again though, if more Pokémon are getting the feature, maybe their holding off on showing us all of them unlike XY's pre-release period. Hopefully that's the case and they can stick to just revealing new Pokémon each month..

One thing that I find weird is that it's not a Key Stone and seems to be something else entirely. Does that mean Mega Evolution is not in this game, or is it a Key Stone that doubles as something else? Only time will tell, because I don't think they would waste a concept like Mega Evolutions since so few Pokemon from Gens 4 thru 6 got any Megas at all, and only one Pokemon from Gen 5 (Audino) even got a Mega at all.

I doubt any Gen 7 Pokemon will get Megas though, but I expect a number of old Pokemon to get Megas.

Last edited:
Maybe Yungoos is a pre-evolution to Zangoose, though I highly doubt it. It just seems weird that they would re-use an older concept when they have access to the original Zangoose and Seviper.

Zangoose's lore is so tied up with Seviper that it wouldn't make sense to suddenly introduce a rat into that relationship. Besides - Yungoose is a small asian mongoose (which eats eggs and rats) while Zangoose is an indian grey mongoose (which eats venomous snakes).

What @Zeta said is right. Yungoos is probably a predator of Rattata or some new rat, maybe of the new Pikaclone HAHA!

I'm leaning towards a new rat Pokemon. Would be a missed chance if they don't introduce a new one imo.

What @Zeta said is right. Yungoos is probably a predator of Rattata or some new rat, maybe of the new Pikaclone HAHA!
Or maybe it prays on small Pokemon. What if he went ahead and tries to catch Ash's Pikachu as it next meal? Piachu won't let himself get eaten though, and Ash will try to save him the best he can.

It's weird that the Japanese site hasn't updated to match the US site. They should at least have the koala and the dog because CoroCoro is official today.

It's weird that the Japanese site hasn't updated to match the US site. They should at least have the koala and the dog because CoroCoro is official today.
Well, it's 3am in Japan, they'll update the website later. :p

Love the amount of detail GF is putting into these games!! Fun fact- Yungoos is not native to the Alola region; it was imported to keep the explosive population of another species in control, much like how mongooses were imported to Hawaii to deal with the rat population. I love that man, lie seriously take my money already!

Japan will probably get all 5 "revealed" Pokemon in the coming days, and I guess this next special will give us the english names of the Dog and the Koala. And GF/TCPI is probably letting Corocoro have the exclusive info for a few days. Probably a pre-arranged marketing scheme.

Another thing I loved was the stat change tracker they showed off with the Ledyba. Now I can keep track of all my Moody stat changes with Smeargle! I can tell that VGC17 is gonna be just as cancerous as VGC16 :LOL:

Love the amount of detail GF is putting into these games!! Fun fact- Yungoos is not native to the Alola region; it was imported to keep the explosive population of another species in control, much like how mongooses were imported to Hawaii to deal with the rat population. I love that man, lie seriously take my money already!

Yeah, it's based on the Small Asian Mongoose, which is one of the numerous animals introduced to Hawaii, which gives Alola some more wildlife accuracy to it's real-life counterpart compared to previous regions. Points for accuracy to Game Freak for this. I do wonder if we're getting a wild pig Pokemon, which is another species introduced to Hawaii.

Yeah, it's based on the Small Asian Mongoose, which is one of the numerous animals introduced to Hawaii, which gives Alola some more wildlife accuracy to it's real-life counterpart compared to previous regions. Points for accuracy to Game Freak for this. I do wonder if we're getting a wild pig Pokemon, which is another species introduced to Hawaii.

One of the big disappointments with Unova and Kalos were just how darn little their native Pokemon tended to reflect anything on America and France. The Pidove, Basculin, Scraggy, Trubbish, Elgyem, Boufallant, and Rufflet lines were the only ones based on American culture and Fennekin, Chespin, Furfrou, Flabebe, and Noibat were the only Kalos Pokemon based on French culture.

We got quite a bit of news from E3, quite a bit more than I thought we would. Running into a Ledyba at first was disappointing. I feel like ever since B/W, they've always had to reassure the fans that older Pokemon are going to be in the games. Still, it gave them a chance to showcase how the battles look and I really like how the trainers have different poses and even moves when the Pokemon attacks. That looks pretty cool. Although, the way the trainer moves around felt weird to me. Maybe it was because it was new and different from how trainers have moved around before, but it definitely felt robotic and unnatural. They do look better once they actually run around, so that might help or it could also be some bugs they're still working out for the final versions of the game.

The new Pokemon look great. Yungoos looks pretty cute and works nicely as an early route Normal type. I like the color scheme and its facial expression. Its ability Stake Out could be pretty useful. I was so happy that we finally got to see the new bird Pokemon Pikipek. I had a strong feeling that it could show up in the demo. It's so cute and I really love the colors on its design. It's also cool that it is a woodpecker like many people speculated it was. Grubbin was so cute and tiny. I really hope that this generation has more cool Bug type combinations since that's something that made me really like Bug Pokemon more in the fifth generation.

The festival celebration looks pretty cool and it really helps to give the Alola region is own kind of life and get people more into the games. Hau still seems fun and Lillie still seems pretty interesting. She says that she isn't a trainer, but it would be interesting if she had a Pokemon somewhere in that bag like the third starter or some other new Pokemon. I really like how the battles look. It provides some nice upgrades and showing the stat changes on both Pokemon would definitely help out players. I got so excited when Popplio learned Disarming Voice. Please let that be a sign that it evolves into a Water/Fairy type. I loved that they had Popplio be the starter Pokemon for the demo in general too. Popplio needs more love as far as I'm concerned so seeing it get more attention here was nice. Based on the moves and stats, it is most likely a Special Attacker, which makes sense.

The Battle Royale looked pretty cool. It would be a fun way to battle against multiple people at the same time. More importantly, it finally confirms that we can change clothes and thus have trainer customization back completely for these games. Thank goodness for that. While it wouldn't have been a deal breaker, getting rid of trainer customization would have been so disappointing. I do like the female trainer's default outfit a bit more now after all of the fanart and official artwork for her, but I still would like to get something different for both the male and female trainers. It looks like they'll probably keep up with the tropical theme for the other outfits, which is perfectly fine since that makes sense with the environment. I just hope that there's more variety to choose from, especially for the male trainer, but that's good. Now just confirm that we have Pokemon Amie, Super Training and something like the Dex Navi and we should be good on all of the returning features from the last generation for me.

I was disappointed that they didn't real the English names for Iwanko and Nekkoala, especially Iwanko since it's so cute, but that could mean that they aren't early route Pokemon like we initially thought. Or at least not available in Route 1 like these three Pokemon are. Since CoroCoro is officially out now, we should get their English names and a bit of game footage of them within the next few days at least.

This had quite a bit of news and I was so happy to watch the event live. It was so much fun and I loved watching them play the game. I didn't even want it to stop. I wanted them to keep going, which shows how promising and fun the games look like already. It was so fun to watch and it provides some more bits of news to satisfy fans until next month.

Fennekin, Chespin, Furfrou, Flabebe, and Noibat were the only Kalos Pokemon based on French culture.

Goomy's line seems to be based on the Lou Carcohl, which is a French mythological creature.

But really, have *any* region's native species been particularly accurate to those of the region's real-world equivalent? Has that ever been one of their goals? I think they've always pulled some from the region's equivalent and some from abroad.

They did mention "Azoth" back in OR/AS, and they also had some small hints of it in Kalos. My guess is that the villain team will be much like Team Flare, or possibly it WILL be Team Flare again, just under a different leader (Malva or Xerosic perhaps). Because it's been a while since we had an old villain team being re-used. I do wonder what Pokemon they would use, I bet one would be Yungoos given how villain teams love early-game rodents.

One thing that I find weird is that it's not a Key Stone and seems to be something else entirely. Does that mean Mega Evolution is not in this game, or is it a Key Stone that doubles as something else? Only time will tell, because I don't think they would waste a concept like Mega Evolutions since so few Pokemon from Gens 4 thru 6 got any Megas at all, and only one Pokemon from Gen 5 (Audino) even got a Mega at all.

I doubt any Gen 7 Pokemon will get Megas though, but I expect a number of old Pokemon to get Megas.
Gen 5 shows that they aren't afraid to reuse old concepts. As for the gen 7 Mons getting Megas or whatever, if the secret between the starters and Iwanko is what I think it is then they might be getting something completely new.

So Popplio learned Disarming Voice during E3, now it's not for sure but this definitely makes it possible that it becomes part Fairy as it evolves considering it learned a damage-dealing Fairy-type move.

Back
Top Bottom