• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

E3 Nintendo Treehouse Discussion

I liked the new Pokemon, but someone said Yungoos has Donald Trump hair and now I can't unsee it *__*

These games look friggin beautiful. I love the orange evening glow. They're starting to catch up to Animal Crossing and Yokai Watch graphically, and it's about time!

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but there were some things I didn't like. The 'i' (info) button by the moves makes the screen look cluttered and silly; I hope there's a way to get rid of it. You've previously been able to check what a move does by holding down L as you click on it. IMO that 'hidden' method worked much better - this new one is too in-your-face. And speaking of, do we really need to be told which moves are effective and supereffective? Is that to satisfy all those people who say that Pokemon is too hard? Oh, wait - NO SUCH PEOPLE EXIST. It doesn't seem like GF are catering to kids, it seems like they're catering to casual audiences too lazy and stupid to learn how the game works. I was 10 when I started playing and I picked up the rules just fine; it's condescending to think that today's target audience can't do the same. The strategy and challenge (and therefore, the fun) becomes nonexistent if the gameplay tells you how to win. I swear, GF are the only company I know where the fandom begs for hard mode for years, so they reply by making the games easier. *headdesk*

But back on the positive side of things, I really feel the Hawaii vibe in these games, they seem immersive and extraordinary already, based only on a few clips and trailers. I think the finished product will be breathtaking!

Yeah, I agree with you, it makes the games way too easy, especially since games anymore don't come with instruction manuals since they add in-game tutorials because of how dumb people are to not read the instruction manuals anymore.

Graphics-wise, however, it looks impressive, definitely a step up from the previous two generations, since Gen 6 still relied on grid-based routes while this game here looks a lot more real

Er, I mean - even the animation team that does the show gets type interactions wrong. They've repeatedly said that Rock resists Electric when it doesn't. Frankly, most of the type interactions are nonsensical. Like . . . everything to do with Bug and Dark. I think some fans think the logicality of the Fire Water Grass trio expands to all type interactions when it really doesn't. "Fire is put out by water" does not have the same intuitiveness as "birds are resistant to kung fu".

Nonsensical to us or not, it clearly makes some sort of sense to the people who made it, and ultimately it's how the game works. Pretty much every game in the world has an underlying ethos - learn how to win, or lose. If you lose, you learn what you did wrong and do better next time. It seems like GF want to hand-hold our way through the game more than ever to ensure that you cannot lose, and it's annoying and condescending. It should at the very least be optional.

Re the anime, I thought that was just localisation errors? I know the dub frequently gets all kinds of stuff wrong, not just type matchups. For example, naming one Pokemon as another Pokemon.

Nonsensical to us or not, it clearly makes some sort of sense to the people who made it, and ultimately it's how the game works. Pretty much every game in the world has an underlying ethos - learn how to win, or lose. If you lose, you learn what you did wrong and do better next time. It seems like GF want to hand-hold our way through the game more than ever to ensure that you cannot lose, and it's annoying and condescending. It should at the very least be optional.
ah yes, learn the types of all 721 Pokemon and the matchups of those 18-types, including some of the more non-straightforward ones. what a lovely strategy for young kids. also, did you opt out of the part where they explained that you could only find out the type effectiveness the second time you fought the Pokemon?

I really don't understand how having type effectiveness shown makes the game easier. All this information is readily available anyway. And at this point theres so many types and so many combinations that it's kind of ridiculous to ask new players to memorize all of this. As far as I'm concerned this is a change for the good.

All four are referred to as Pokemon. What does this have to do with a third game? These guardians probably don't include the version mascots.
"All four"? Four of whom? Also, where are you getting at? Your response is confusing.

It doesn't seem like GF are catering to kids, it seems like they're catering to casual audiences too lazy and stupid to learn how the game works. I was 10 when I started playing and I picked up the rules just fine; it's condescending to think that today's target audience can't do the same. The strategy and challenge (and therefore, the fun) becomes nonexistent if the gameplay tells you how to win. I swear, GF are the only company I know where the fandom begs for hard mode for years, so they reply by making the games easier. *headdesk*

I don't think it's condescending at all.

I mean, you say you've "picked up the rules just fine" - okay great. Let's assume that everybody has the capacity to do so and will eventually memorize the type chart "just fine." So, once they do have it memorized... what's the harm in having an effectiveness display on the screen? At that point, it's just highlighting information you already know, so it's not really changing anything about how you play. It's not making it easier or more difficult. With or without it, you'd pick a Fire-type move to attack a Grass-type Pokémon. It's not helping or harming in this instance, because you'd make the same decisions regardless.

But if we instead assume that not everybody has the capacity to memorize the type chart "just fine," then maybe the game is harder for them, but... what's stopping them from simply using Bulbapedia or printing off a type chart? Nothing, really, so this just takes that readily-available resource and puts it into the game. If you're not doing that, then you're just self-imposing the difficulty, and disproving the idea that everybody can learn it "just fine."

In either case, all it's really doing is saving time. Whether that be the couple of seconds it takes "memorizers" to run the equation in their heads, or the minute or two it takes someone to hop on Google and search "what type is effective against water in pokemon" or to pull out a reference sheet.

Pokémon types aren't really where the challenge comes from anyway. It's elemental rock-paper-scissors; it's not difficult. The challenge comes more from item use, Ability coordination, team building, and choosing which *kinds* of moves to use (e.g., Do I go defensive and use Protect, Do I use a high-risk move like Focus Blast, etc.)

Finally tore myself away from Zelda to say that there's a lot of style upgrades in these games that really work for me. I think my favorite has to be the update to regular trainers. Animated overworld models and in battle models. It really makes battle feel more like they should.

Also, if that's the opening to the game it has gripped me more than any other pokemon game yet. We're getting to battle as part of a festival in our new home town. I already feel better connected with Alola than some of the other regions.
Yeah the games start is much more gripping then what we usually get for sure. You move there, farefully meet a legendary Pokemon defying the island prophecies, and partake in a battle festival to celebrate said legendary. Its like Sinnoh and the lake guardians on steroids. I think the game is gonna be interesting for the story if it continues like this.

I wonder if Hala is indeed a leader like I speculate. Or could he be the champion?

All four guardians. There is one Pokemon deity for each island.
Oh, I did not see that bit of text while watching the livestream!

So there are four, maybe one disguise itself as a human while the others do not or perhaps do. There is a theory that the Alola region's legendaries are based on the planets mentioned in alchemic practices. I think there were four as well.

Last edited:
The challenge comes more from item use, Ability coordination, team building, and choosing which *kinds* of moves to use (e.g., Do I go defensive and use Protect, Do I use a high-risk move like Focus Blast, etc.)
How much of this challenge is experienced in the main story?

There is a theory that the Alola region's legendaries are based on the planets mentioned in alchemic practices. I think there were four as well.
There are seven of those.

I really don't understand how having type effectiveness shown makes the game easier. All this information is readily available anyway. And at this point theres so many types and so many combinations that it's kind of ridiculous to ask new players to memorize all of this. As far as I'm concerned this is a change for the good.
And didn't we have something like that for Sinnoh? Oh yeah, it was this thing: Pokétch - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Granted, what we have in Alola is a bit more in depth but we've had something similar before. I'm actually kind of glad because sometimes I do forget. (Hey, there are a lot of Pokemon out there; sometimes I forget that one might be Normal or Fighting!)

I thought Hala mentioning that each of the four islands held a "guardian" pokemon was really interesting.

Masuda mentioning that the mascot legends would be tied to the story in a unique way they haven't done before really intrigues me as well, as I guess that more or less rules them out as being things that the villian's just wanna catch.

Pretty much everything about the game seems great to me so far!

- The new Pokemon are quite likable! Hopefully Pikipek and Grubbin will gain some more interesting type combos upon evolving as well.

- The graphics look great. Battles feel a lot more immersive now that both trainers can be seen, while the overworld looks a lot more realistic and organic. The only thing that kinda bothered me was the PC's awkward walking animation.

- Full customization is back! Now I hope they expand on it and add more options than XY had.

- The new battle interface is cool as well. I love that it keeps track of all the stat changes now. I'm not sure how I feel about it showing the type effectiveness though. Not because it will make battles easier for me or anything, but because I fear GF will continue to make the games even more easy and streamlined. I'm still hoping for a hard mode tbh.

- They're really fleshing out the region's culture and lore this time! A festival, a rival battle ritual and guardian deity Pokemon for each island? Love it. The story already seems quite compelling.

- Battle Royal seems like it'll be a lot of fun and definitely very chaotic! I wonder how certain moves and abilities designed for double/triple battles will work there. I also remember people speculating about a free-for-all battle mode not too long ago.

- Magearna's ability is very useful and it leaves a lot of room for strategies in doubles/triples.

Last edited:
Maybe they are just varying designs of tiki statues and their symbolism in Hawaii/Alola culture?

I thought Hala mentioning that each of the four islands held a "guardian" pokemon was really interesting.

Masuda mentioning that the mascot legends would be tied to the story in a unique way they haven't done before really intrigues me as well, as I guess that more or less rules them out as being things that the villian's just wanna catch.

There seem to be four tikis in Maori tradition, with each of them being a progenitor of something. The Strange Souvenir Pokemon does seem like a progenitor of humankind.

Yeah, I will agree with you on that, and we already know about Solgaleo and Lunala, which would make two of the guardians if they ARE among these island guardians, though since one is exclusive to one version and vice-versa, would that mean there are five guardians, assuming that we catch the box legendaries in the same place in both versions (which is how it usually is, except in Gen 2 where Lugia and Ho-Oh were in different places).

If they aren't though, I assume we have a Legendary
quartet on our hands, and I can only assume all of them are obtainable in-game, which would give this region more native (non-event) legendaries than Gen 6 ever did.

Yeah, I will agree with you on that, and we already know about Solgaleo and Lunala, which would make two of the guardians if they ARE among these island guardians, though since one is exclusive to one version and vice-versa, would that mean there are five guardians, assuming that we catch the box legendaries in the same place in both versions (which is how it usually is, except in Gen 2 where Lugia and Ho-Oh were in different places).

If they aren't though, I assume we have a Legendary
quartet on our hands, and I can only assume all of them are obtainable in-game, which would give this region more native (non-event) legendaries than Gen 6 ever did.
This might be a reiteration of the DPPt plot with Solegaleo and Lunala in Dialga's and Palkia's position.

Last edited:
This might be a reiteration of the plot in DPPt and, if it is, Solegaleo and Lunala are in Dialga's and Palkia's position.

Yeah, it does sound very similar to how it was in D/P/Pt if the villain team was collecting all the different guardians, but it's still better than what X/Y did with it's legendaries and just throw them in at the last minute with no buildup to their appearance. Also Sinnoh confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom