• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Eating Pokemon

Well, there is evidence in many Pokedex entires that explain how some Pokemon used to be eaten. Like, Farfetch'd being eaten onto the endangered list. How ever, it seems the people in the Pokemon world no longer eat Pokemon. They may only eat vegetables, or they may have some unexplained food source. Although, aside from sweets, Pokemon food, and berries, there haven't been many references to what the humans eat.
What do you mean used to? And what do you mean no longer?

They've shown a vast amount of evidence toward eating meat, they've never given any indication that they don't.
Unless vegetarianism is the norm in the Pokémon world, I find it highly curious that it's considered morally reprehensible to cut off Slowpoke tails for food when not only are the Slowpoke not killed as would any livestock animal (or POkémon) would be for its meat, but the tails grow back and its suggested that the Slowpoke aren't even drastically harmed by this.
Maybe the fact that the town's Slowpoke were stolen for this? As for the wild Slowpoke, we know they fish as their primary source of food. It's not as if tails grow back instantly, so there's a danger of starving to death. The town Slowpoke, not so much because they seem to be looked after, but again, Team Rocket stole Azalea Town's Slowpokes.

Oh, crud... a controversial topic. Yay.

Oi, remember how in the anime the characters sometimes daydream of eating Magikarp? No wonder the Gyarados are so angry lately...

It's simple people use the fact that pokemon are nearly unkillable. say somebody's job is to sell people meat, first he K.O.s the pokemon, and then cuts the desired muscles from the pokemon then he releases it. a few months later with this pokemon having grown it's muscles back a long time ago, some other jerk comes and cuts muscles off of him, it's kinda a painful process.

It's simple people use the fact that pokemon are nearly unkillable. say somebody's job is to sell people meat, first he K.O.s the pokemon, and then cuts the desired muscles from the pokemon then he releases it. a few months later with this pokemon having grown it's muscles back a long time ago, some other jerk comes and cuts muscles off of him, it's kinda a painful process.
Unkillable yet entire gravesites are dedicated to them, and its been implied a few times in the series that Pokemon can in fact die of fatal injuries.

Cutting a piece of flesh from a Pokemon that doesn't have natural regenerative abilities (which Slowpoke was retcon'd to having as a hidden ability)? That's surely a fatal process.

This is definitaly a touchy topic, but I'll give my imput.

It seems like vegetarianism is the way people generally live in Pokemon. I'm not going to say people are vegan as this is evidently wrong (MooMoo milk, Chansey Egg, Ditto butter), but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a general ban on eating red meat (what do you honestly think the fisherman are fishing for?)

Do you wonder why the Slowpoke Tail salesman dissapeared after you beat Team Rocket? It was illegal that's why, and he was probably nabbed by the cops for selling and posession of illegal objects.

It says that Farfetch'd had been hunted onto the endangered list, and in Red/Blue there's only one available. However in Heartgold/Soulsiver, they're now a swarm Pokemon, a large increase in ammount. What happened? Obviously the government, if one exists, put a ban on the shooting of Farfetch'd, and generally reaped the rewards as the Pokemon started gaining in numbers.

Thanks

Unkillable yet entire gravesites are dedicated to them, and its been implied a few times in the series that Pokemon can in fact die of fatal injuries.

Cutting a piece of flesh from a Pokemon that doesn't have natural regenerative abilities (which Slowpoke was retcon'd to having as a hidden ability)? That's surely a fatal process.

NEARLY unkillable. Would getting muscles cut off really be that much more harmful than the stuff they do in battles?

if humans in the Pokemon World are all vegeterians then does that mean that they also eat Cherubi and Oddish? Wow..

I could totally go for a miltank burger with fried tepig bacon right now.

But, Pokemon was originally based on japanese culture, in the anime they are shown eating pancakes, riceballs, sushi, you look at a traditional japanese diet mainly consists of rice so whats to say the pokemon world isn't like this, no emphasis on vegitarianism or carnivorism. Of course there may be some pokemon that the eat

NEARLY unkillable. Would getting muscles cut off really be that much more harmful than the stuff they do in battles?
Nothing they do in battle have entire body parts removed. Some Pokemon have a new ability that casts off their armor, but that's exactly what that is, armour. They don't lose whole chunks of flesh. Other than Slowpoke, which has been given a very good in-universe explanation, what in the series has ever implied you can remove a Pokemon's flesh from their bone and they'd not only survive but grow it back?

Honestly, you find killing them as such an unpleasant thought, yet harvesting body parts isn't?

Ash: Oh noes, don' kill my Pikachu.
Brock: Shut your mouth, Ash! We have nothing to eat, and we can't bite my rock-types!

mm.... tauros burgers. i go out for the safari zones finest tauros, then get charizard and raichu to butcher them. lovely.

In the Library in Sinnoh...

Folk Tale One said:
Pick clean the bones of Pokémon
caught in the sea or stream.
Thank them for the meals they
provide, and pick their bones clean.
When the bones are as clean as can
be, set them free in the water from
which they came.
The Pokémon will return, fully
fleshed, and it begins anew.

I hear buffalo meat is healthier than regular beef. Someone go get me a Bouffalant and make it medium-well! With cheese, too.

this has actually been on my mind for quite some time, and here's my theory:

I'm pretty sure that animals exist in the pokemon world, not the ones WE know, but a more primitive version of pokemon that don't have any, or very little elemental powers (like the fish in misty's tank or the small bugs mentioned in some pokemon entries). people in the past ate a lot of pokemon meat, especially lapras, farfetch'd, miltank and tauros, due to their meat being the tenderest and avoided pokemon like grimer, trubbish, houndour and bulbasaur(for obvious reasons).

but when the years passed ethics kicked in and they decided that since pokemon were fully sentient and that, at times, even wiser than humans, they stopped, although not fully (as with farfetch'd). so they either turned vegetarian or ate the "animals" since they showed very little intelligence compared to their evolved cousins (and since they couldn't breathe fire or shoot ice beams, it was more convenient).

either way, I'd love to wake up to the smell of frying spoink bacon with chansey eggs on the side :drool:

My theory:

Animals do exist in the Pokémon world. Remember, Pokémon are all monsters, something not usually seen in the normal world. At some point in the past, people didn't distinguish between animals and Pokémon. This was probably changed when Pokémon were recognized as their own individual species, at which point people realized that Pokémon were probably worth more alive or dead. Despite that, many normal animals are still kept as pets, people still occasionally eat Pokémon, etc.

Theory Two is that originally there were much more real animals in the real world, but Pokémon were mutant versions of real animals (and thus, monsters), and overran the animals in the real world, leading to much more Pokémon than animals.

As far as I'm concerned, the population eats animals for meat as much as anybody else. It's just never mentioned because, as far as the narrative is concerned, it's irrelevant. They don't have to explain how everything works, especially in a series aimed at least partially at a young audience.

well,this is from the top of my head, but i think gary in season 1 of the anime made a reference of "being a chicken" before he fought ash

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom