• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Emerald, Not different enough?

D558

Reaction score
So I just read the bulbapedia page on Pokemon Emerald and it says it got lower reviews because "there simply aren't enough changes to make this a must-buy". That confuses me because to me it is just as different maybe even more-so than Crystal and yellow.

Yellows changes were really just:
-Pikachu (just one pokemon sprite with SOME happiness)
-Gym party changes (much easier and crappier)
-bigger color palette (barely worth mentioning)

Crystal
- choice of girl character (actually fairly good)
- story changes and others adding to More than yellow added (i actually never owned this one)

Emerald
-Wireless play ( a big plus for some ppl)
- story changes leading to at least one epic part (legendary fight)
-tag battles
- Battle Frontier (a huge addition that for me makes the other games seem useless because of the extra gameplay this adds)
- and tons of little changes that add up (Magma armor hatching, Johto starters, rare pokemon,aesthetic changes)

What did they expect? A whole new map? An entire cast of new pokemon? It's not a new generation. It just seems incredibly dense to me that it got such low reviews where in my opinion it makes Sapphire/ruby obsolete if i had to choose just one.

well, double battles did occur in RS, emerald just made them occur more often. Really, I like Emerald, but it was like Crystal and Yellow. New plot changes, subtle gameplay changes, and many aesthetic changes. Not much else.

I think that emerald had almost the same changes as platinum and crystal, which both were pretty good sellers. I think that if they were satisfied with platinum and crystal, then what the hey! they should be satisfied with emerald!:yahoo:

Most videogame rating websites have bad rates anyway.

I mean they said D/P's graphics were terrible, but praised Digimon World DS's graphics.

And then reviews for "My Pokemon Ranch"--I think most people missed the point of that thing. Yeah, sure complain about the price, but complain that there's nothing to do?

That's why I tend to not listen to videogame reviews and would rather listen to what the fans think.

I never take reviews seriously. Its interesting to see what people have to say, but thats their opinion. If its something you're concidering buying, I think doing some un-biased research or maybe watching some videos on Youtube would be a better way of going about it. Becuase really, these reviewers probably arent as big Pokefans as we are :)

In my opinion Emerald is a lot better then Ruby and Saphire for numerous reasons but mainly because they had better objectives after you defeat the Elite four

I never really liked any of the third gen, but I bought Emerald from the pawn shop for cheap anyway so I could exploit the cloning glitch. It is actually quite a bit better then Ruby and Sapphire, more storyline, and more to do. I wouldn't go calling it as impressive as Platinum was compared to Diamond and Pearl, but it was still a lot better then the other Gen III games.

I mean they said D/P's graphics were terrible, but praised Digimon World DS's graphics.

As much as I disagree concerning DP's graphics, those of the DS Digimon World games are pretty damn good.

Anyway, I never listen to such things, largely because those opinions rarely correlate with my own, with the same holding true with other such media. Personally, I really like Emerald.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom