• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Platinum announced: Third version to get English release on March 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean something more like this:

That, to me, reads like whining, which is how a lot of posts about character names read. Not just in this thread, go back to the build-up to Gen IV's release and see what people had to say about most of the name changes.

Ouch.

I'm going with the majority: Distortion World is cool, Charon is... not good. C'mon, they couldn't have gone with Neptune or something? Well, that would imply something with water, so maybe Uranus. Or just Pluto, much simpler. In any case, it reminds me of "Sharon".

How? Charon is pronounced like Karen minus the ren and plus a "ron," with a heavy emphesis on the "on."

Looker is really clever, because it works on two levels (he's Handsome and he's a detective).

Charon is awful, and I can't fathom the reason for the name change. It'd be one thing if they changed it to another planet to keep the consistency, but . . ..

These names will take getting used to, but that's nothing new.

How? Charon is pronounced like Karen minus the ren and plus a "ron," with a heavy emphesis on the "on."
I could have sworn it was pronounced "Shaw-ron"... But I mean from a spelling perspective. The first thing to pop into my head was the name Sharon and how some kids may pronounce it like that.

What was wrong with Handsome and Pluto!?
Everything, apparently.

I suppose I'm on the fence over the names, if they're true.... Then again, this means for me personally is finding a balance for...geh. Nevermind. That's another matter.

Looker, I'm not too thrilled over, nevermind that I get the whole double meaning biz. ...I would have been more amused if they had gone with 'Eyecandy', IMO. *grins like a moron* I love my alternate fandoms.

Charon, also on the fence about, but using Pluto was risky enough since it's not a planet anymore, damn them. Using the plutoid's moon of all things is sketchy.

Oh, and they would never have used 'Uranus'. I believe it's an awesome word to look at...but even I admit I can't say it (either way) with a straight face. Which leaves Neptune and Mercury. Regardless, they went with Pluto...and he looks like a Pluto. Moreso than a Charon, honestly. Cyrus looks like a Charon. All gaunt and stuff.

I could have sworn it was pronounced "Shaw-ron"... But I mean from a spelling perspective. The first thing to pop into my head was the name Sharon and how some kids may pronounce it like that.
The 'Ch' in Charon is actually a hard 'K'. Go Greek.

What would kids know? Honestly, I imagine the majority of people's pronunciations will be 'char' as in Charmander, and '(r)on'. Cuz, you know...it's a 'ch'. And 'ch' doesn't usually equal 'sh'.

The 'Ch' in Charon is actually a hard 'K'. Go Greek.
That's so funny, I've been using it with "Sh" all my life and no one's corrected me. ...and yeah, I'm not just creating memories 'cause I swear saying it aloud more than a couple times when Pluto was announced to no longer be considered a planet. XD I wonder where I got that from?

Actually, to be technical, Charon is not the only moon of Pluto. There is also Nix, and Hydra.

Actually, to be technical, Charon is not the only moon of Pluto. There is also Nix, and Hydra.

Charon's the biggest, though (fairly large in comparison to Pluto, if I recall). And the one we've known about the longest.

Yeah, maybe most kids will pronounce "Charon" instead od "Karon"; both of them sound kind of female but I still like it

Charon's the biggest, though (fairly large in comparison to Pluto, if I recall). And the one we've known about the longest.

Fairly large? The thing's so big that their mutual center of gravity's outside of Pluto! And around that Nix and Hydra also orbit.

So any confirmation of the stuff other than Circuit City hastily removing the page (which kinda says something)?

Last edited:
I don't see how a scientist named Pluto would at all cause conflict with a dog named Pluto :/

What about the multiple characters from different series that have the same name?

You know Disney's pissants with the copyright on their stuff. Anytime Mickey Mouse even is about to fall into the public domain they lobby to increase the time.

..since when was Mickey Mouse about to fall into the public domain?

And I'm pretty sure he's more or less their character.

Went to Gamestop yesterday and they didn't have anything in their databanks about a release date.

Even if it's referring to Pluto the dog of Disney fame, it's impossible to hold the right to the name itself. Pluto is named after a planet (Or, at least, Ex-planet...damn you NASA.), and Pluto the Team Galactic scientist is named after said ball in space (for a lack of a better term). Considering this, it's impossible to hold rights to the name "Pluto" considering that even they know that they didn't pull it out of thin air.

Whether this was the true reason or not, I just thought I'd throw that in there.

You know Disney's pissants with the copyright on their stuff. Anytime Mickey Mouse even is about to fall into the public domain they lobby to increase the time.

You're quite wrong. Mickey won't go into the public domain. He, as a re-usable character, is a trademark, and thus, the company holds its rights as long as it uses the mark; the copyright property that might fall into public domain are Mickey Mouse films (Steamboat Willie and the like).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom