• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't go much older than The Beatles. There's undoubtedly some excellent artists before them that are worth listening to, but the 60's is where music really picks up for me.
I think it's all about separating the good shit from the shit shit. There's lots of great 50s music. I'll give you a couple examples in case you're interested:
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus(1957 Jazz)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (1959 Jazz)
Frank Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning(1955 traditional pop)

The furthest back I go besides classical is probably Bob Crosby and the Bobcats. Nice jazzy pop from the '30s/'40s. Actually, now that I think about it, I do have a soft spot for Balinese gamelan music. I've been trying to find really good old-fashioned American folk music, but nothing has really grabbed me yet.

I dig gamelan too, not sure why. I guess because it just sounds so different to Western music.

Yeah, for sure. There's a lot of 50's music that I like. Ray Charles, Lloyd Price, The Coasters. I just don't really go out of my way to listen to them as much as I do The Beatles. But sometimes in my spare time I like to rank Billboard year-end charts based on my own tastes (doesn't everyone? :p ), and recently I did the year 1959, and it's pretty solid.

I dig gamelan too, not sure why. I guess because it just sounds so different to Western music.

Not really, though, that's the thing. From a theoretical stand-point, gamelan is actually very similar to Western music in its sense of rhythm and tonality. It's exotic to Western ears while not being too exotic which is why white people can listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom