• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Eternal Winter

DGE

not for miners
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Eternal Winter is rated PG-13, if only for its underlying dealings with same-sex relationships.

This is an original character story which includes a few characters from the anime, the most well-known being Tracey. This is also slightly alternate-universe, and doesn't particularly coincide with the Johto Journeys season.

EW is overtly shoujo. That means its main themes are romance, friendship, and introspection. There isn't much in the way of action or violence around here, so don't come looking for it.
---

*nervous wave* Thanks for clicking on my story! (/cheese)

EW debuted on FFN over two years ago. The support and encouragement from there helped me build my little OC fic into a trilogy in planning. This is a rewrite. If, by some chance, you've read EW on FFN, or even my website (to which I would be impressed indeed), then know that this time around, things will be a lot different, and, in my opinion, many times better.

I won't beg for comments/reviews, but they would be greatly appreciated, and would help me build a better fanfic. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy working with it.

~ * ~

I came to this land to protect you.
I was born to meet you.
The moment I wake,
prisms start to spin around me.
I'm here now to love you.
I was born to hold you.
Lies and truths...
All lies within me.
I won't let the days I abandon my heart get to me.
Tenderness and love
let's take them back once again!
--Megumi Hayashibara, "Successful Mission" (Saber Marionette J)
opening song for Eternal Winter

Chapter 1
Destiny Waits! The Ambitious Ice-Type Trainer!

In the distant sky there was lightning. Rain would come within the hour, cooling the balmy summer air for a little while, a breath of relief for the evening. Was there some benevolent force at work?

Noelle gazed out the window. The only good part of summer was the storms -- the rush of rain, the announcement of thunder, the show of lightning. It was beautiful when the stagnancy of summer was disrupted by a lively storm, the oppressive heat defeated. Noelle took in a deep breath. She was interpreting her surroundings in much more of a poetic sense than they needed to be.

She was glad when her TV program returned from commercial. Coverage of the annual Indigo League championships -- the biggest in the country -- took place at the beginning of every summer. Noelle turned the volume up, watching enviously. Most of the contestants were her age or even younger, and all of them had spent long months doing nothing but training pokémon. What a life! Could there be anything better than being a pokémon trainer?

"Miss Noelle?" one of the maids, June, stood before the girl's open bedroom door. "Afternoon tea is ready."

Noelle blinked at June, then glanced at the clock on her wall. "Okay," she said softly. "I'll be down in a second." June nodded, smiled kindly, and departed. Noelle stared at the television screen one last longing time before shutting it off, smoothing the material of her plain t-shirt and shorts, and descending the long flight of stairs.

Winter Manor was just one of the opulent mansions in Pine City, a town at the base of the Kanto mountains. There was little to do with pokémon here, no centers or marts. The specialty grocery was known to sell trading cards that were popular with small children, and some of the newsstands carried Pokémon Friend magazine, but that was about it. Noelle, having grown up and lived in Pine City all of her fifteen years, never knew there was more to pokémon than the fact that they were wild animals until she flipped through a magazine and watched documentaries on television. When she turned ten, she begged her parents to let her go to the closest center and obtain a trainer's license, but they refused. It was Noelle's duty, as the sole Winter heir, to complete her private education and prepare for marriage, as the family name and fortune needed to flourish.

But on the side, Noelle collected information about pokémon. Boxes in the back of her closet held many years' worth of Pokémon Friend issues, some books, and newspaper articles. She'd read and reread them, and knew almost as much about pokémon as a novice student of the famed Pokémon Technical Institute, located outside Vermilion City. Thinking about pokémon kept her mind clear and optimistic while her parents consistently reminded her that etiquette was everything, money was her key to power, her future husband would be happier if she'd change from those ridiculous shorts into a nice light dress.

Contessa Winter's cobalt-blue hair was drawn into a round bun, and she sipped her tea with the same vapid expression she always bore. Noelle felt her own locks of the same shade, unbound and cascading over her shoulders in a neat wave. They wanted her to turn into her mother, a society wife for a business-minded man. Noelle's father was engrossed in the day's newspaper, and if he noticed his daughter's appearance at the table, he gave no sign. Noelle snared a scone, as light and soft as her heart wasn't.

"Do remember to go to bed early tonight," Contessa spoke suddenly. "The carriage will be here come sunrise."

"Carriage?" Noelle repeated.

"For Palm Springs."

Noelle held the scone inches away from her mouth, which was open in her confusion. "You never told me we were going to Palm Springs tomorrow."

"Of course we did. You should listen to your father, dear."

"That's right." Clayton Winter lowered the newspaper and raised his black eyebrows expectantly at Noelle. "Besides, the announcement's already in the paper." He pulled out a loose page and handed it to her. The top of it read "Engagements," and among the names, she saw her own. She was mentioned in two sentences, which followed an entire paragraph about one Daniel Sparks III, the eighteen-year-old son of one of Clayton's business associates.

"What... what is this?" Noelle asked shakily.

"It's your publicized engagement. And tomorrow's the formal party."

"It'll be so lovely, an early summer soirée," Contessa sighed.

"But..." Noelle's head spun. "But I'm only fifteen! I can't get married! Especially when I barely know him!" And can't stand him, she added to herself, having met young Daniel before at required social gatherings. If ever there was proof of inbreeding among the upper class, he was it. He was slow-witted, ill-mannered behind his elders' backs, and, worst of all, he boasted his favorite hobby, hunting pokémon.

"Well, we've got to find something for you to do," Clayton said. "Your education's finished, after all."

"Is that all I'm good for?" Noelle spat. "To teach me a few history and music lessons, then marry me off and expect me to make children?"

"Don't raise your voice, dear," Contessa corrected her. "It's unbecoming."

"I'm still a child myself!" Noelle paid her no attention. She had always tolerated her parents, and always carried out their ridiculous yet traditional expectations with one thought to maintain her spirit: Someday I will have my pokémon. But if she was to be married off right away... all her suspicions that her parents had no care for her as a person were coming true. She wasn't meant to do what she wanted, just what they wanted.

"Now, I wouldn't say that." Her father picked the newspaper back up. "You should be grateful. Ordinary fifteen-year-olds complain that they are treated like children. Now's the time for you to act your age."

Noelle felt short of breath. "I guess I'll start packing for the trip, then," she said softly, and pushed back her chair to stand up. It was, of course, futile to argue further, as it would only earn her a lecture on how such matters weren't her place.

She opened her bedroom closet, eyes falling on the half-buried boxes of pokémon reading material, her grandest fantasies and dreams, all packed away and pushed into a corner. In her daydreams, her parents would let her be her own person, and she'd rush to get a trainer's license and a starter pokémon, just like she'd read about. She would choose a water-type. In fact, she'd build a team of water-types, because in relation to water were ice-type pokémon, living embodiments of the perfect beauty found only in ice and snow.

Everything I need in my life is being taken away from me, Noelle thought darkly. Pokémon friends, beautiful ice, happiness... freedom... why can't I throw everything away and be a pokémon trainer?

She reached for a random dress on a clothes hanger. As her fingers brushed the pink silk, she was struck with one thought. Well, what's to stop me?

There were maps of every pokémon-related city in her magazines. She had more than enough basic know-how on raising, caring for, and battling. Pokémon centers had overnight rooms and complementary meals for licensed trainers. She had a bicycle in the garage. What, indeed, was to stop her?

Noelle's heart pounded while her mind generated images of herself biking from city to city, free from social obligation. She could be just like those kids on TV.

She released the dress and rooted through the depths of her closet for a backpack. Outside, the sky flashed with lightning, and thunder pealed.

~ * ~​

The storm reached Vermilion City -- located on the opposite end of Kanto as Pine City -- by daybreak. Midori, who slept rarely during the night, was desperately in need of bodily rest by this point. However, his mind was wide awake and well at work, and his ears in tune to the thunder. He sat on the topmost stair of a building that may have passed for a pokémon gym, if it wasn't shadowed by the questionably official Vermilion Gym of Lieutenant Surge. The roof overhead was barely enough to shelter him from the rain.

He saw the lightning blaze through his closed eyelids. It is fitting that I am here at this place, in this city, on the first dawn of summer, your birthday, he mused. Thunder inevitably followed, low and solemn. Is this your gift to her, thunder god? Midori silently continued. Are you watching over her, if not with her?

He sighed heavily and fingered the pokéball around his neck. He forced his personal thoughts aside and concentrated on matters of more importance.

By the time another thunderclap sounded, he had a distinct mental image. After so long... he'd almost given up. His mission was one step closer to its goal.

Perhaps you are aiding me after all, wherever you are, he thought. Did you loan your gift to me through this lovely storm?

His cerebral search drained what was left of his energy. Midori Rougan stood and stretched, stumbling even through that small effort. He was gratefully looking forward to a long morning's sleep.

~ * ~​

Daybreak in Pine City found Noelle biking into town, fearfully glancing over her shoulder every few seconds. By now they must have noticed she wasn't in her room, and were most likely launching into fits of composed anger. She wished she could have left a note with June and the other maids, telling them not to worry -- she liked them, how sympathetic they were -- but a note could be found by her father, which would lead to the whole town searching for her. She had to get out of the city fast.

Well, I wanted an adventure, she said to herself. Route 3 due east went straight into Pewter City, the closest place with a pokémon center. Ignoring her growling stomach, Noelle pedaled hastily.

She was exhausted when she reached Pewter, but never more relieved of anything. She wiped her sweaty brows with the back of her hand and chained her bicycle to the provided rack outside the center. Then, looking up at the building's sign with a determined smile, she went in.

"Good morning," the pink-looped-pigtailed young woman at the desk greeted her. "How may I help you?"

"Can I sign up for a trainer's license here?" Noelle asked.

"You certainly can!" She beamed cheerfully and turned to her computer, inputting Noelle's personal information as it was told to her. "Now, you'll have to step this way for your photo." She motioned to a door behind the desk.

"Oh..." Noelle fingered the ends of her limp hair. "Um... I'm sorry, but must it be now? I kind of left in a hurry... and I didn't get to take a shower." Her voice became quieter. What would people think, a lady of her stature appearing in public unwashed?

"I understand. Since you're one step away from being a licensed trainer anyway, I'll go ahead and give you access to a room and the showers, okay?" She smiled sweetly again.

That's right, Noelle reminded herself. She has no idea who I am... anyone so involved in pokémon has no knowledge of the business world. She stopped her thoughts for the moment and thanked the attendant profusely.

"After your shower, you can help yourself to the cafeteria, too. If you need anything, just ask for me. My name is Joy," she said, handing over a key. Noelle clutched it to her heart as she walked down the hall to her appointed room. The Winter name has no significance in the pokémon world, she kept telling herself. Already I am free from expectation here.

After her shower, she tied her hair back into two pigtails at the base of her neck, which she thought was a cute style after seeing it on the older Nurse Joy. Hers was too thick to make loops, though, so she left them to hang down her back. She all but devoured a large breakfast, then returned to the front desk.

"You seem much better now," Joy said as she lead Noelle to the back office, which contained sufficient lighting and a white screen before a camera. She took Noelle's photo, sent it to her computer, and returned to the office to retrieve the finished product. She handed Noelle a little plastic card. "There you are. Your registration gains you the use of any pokémon center around the country. I just need the fee now."

Fortunately, Noelle had brought some money with her, but the price of first-time registration combined with the annual fee took nearly all her funds. Good thing I can get room and board is free at centers now, she thought. I hope I don't really need anything else.

"Okay, you're all set." Nurse Joy grinned. "I trust you have pokéballs? You can get them at the pokémon mart down the street."

"Um... I don't have any, no," Noelle admitted. "I don't think I have enough money left to buy even one."

"Oh..." Nurse Joy's smiled faded. "Don't you have a starter? Young trainers are usually given a pokémon to start out with, along with some pokéballs. You can't catch wild pokémon too easily without weakening it through a battle first."

Noelle's cheeks flushed pink. She should have realized that; she'd read all the tips on starting a trainer's journey multiple times. In her rush to leave Pine City, she'd forgotten everything. "Well... where do I go to get a starter?" she asked.

"A lot of kids seek out Professor Oak in Pallet Town. He's known to distribute starter pokémon. But Pallet's a long way south from here."

Noelle nodded. She'd also read much about Samuel Oak, one of the world's top pokémon experts. "But I don't know if it's a good idea for a trainer to travel all the way to Pallet Town from here without any pokémon at all," she said.

Nurse Joy gave her a sympathetic smile as a little boy approached the desk with his hands full of pokéballs. "Can you heal these guys for me?" he asked. Noelle enviously watched him hand over the red and white spheres. "I'll think of something," she told Joy, and went to sit on one of the lobby's cushioned benches. With a deep sigh, she glanced at the magazine rack beside her, and reached for the latest Pokémon Friend, which she had not purchased yet. Inside was an article that instantly caught her eye: "Keeping Your Ice-Type Pokémon Cool This Summer," written by Professor Audrey Holly, whose pieces had begun to appear in magazines only recently. Noelle always liked reading her work. It was usually about water- or ice-types. It's a sign, she mused. I begin my journey and there's an article about ice pokémon.

Maybe Professor Holly could give her some tips. Her email address was listed at the end of her article. Noelle thought about it as she stared at the public computer terminal on the other side of the lobby. It couldn't hurt. She'd need an email address of her own first, but it wouldn't be a problem to find a service and sign up.

Something caught her eye on the computer screen, however. It seemed to be an accessible directory of pokémon officials. With rapid curiosity, Noelle opened the program and typed Professor Holly's name in the field. There was a phone number, which certainly could go more quickly than an email, and an address, listed only as "Route 3, Kanto."

"She lives here!?" Noelle exclaimed to herself. She hadn't seen any houses on her bike ride to Pewter. But then, she wasn't paying that much attention to the scenery in her rush to get to the center. But if it was true... she could visit... and maybe she could get her very own pokémon!

It's a sign. She remembered her theory when she found the article minutes ago. She wrote down the phone number and headed to one of the video phones, lined up against another wall. This is going to be great! she thought as she dialed. I love how she writes. She really likes ice pokémon. Maybe we're kindred spirits.

The other line was picked up, and an image flickered into view on the screen. There was a dark face with bizarre round eyes, huge pink lips, and platinum-blond hair. "Jyyyyyynx?" she drawled.

"Waugh!" Noelle jumped in her chair.

"Jynx jynx?" The Jynx tilted her head expectantly.

"Um... hello there," said Noelle. "May I speak to Professor Holly? Or is this a bad time?"

"Jynx." Jynx smiled and stepped aside. Noelle glanced around the center, wondering if anyone was watching this strange scene. She was beginning to feel like an idiot.

"Hello?" a woman's voice brought her eyes back to the screen. That sight surprised Noelle anew. This woman was certainly too young to be called professor, and was startlingly beautiful besides. Her hair was full and chesnut brown, fanning out at her shoulders, and her eyes sharp green behind thin, oval-shaped glasses. Had she not been wearing a white lab coat, Noelle would have assumed she was a secretary or assistant.

She also felt increasingly silly. Who was she to call and disturb this important woman? "I'm sorry!" she blurted out. "But I found your phone number in the directory, and I have to ask you something, and I love your articles, and this is really random, and um..." She couldn't bear to face the screen again.

"Well, I must admit, I don't get phone calls from strangers bearing praise," Professor Holly said in a slightly amused tone. "You don't have to apologize. What's your name?"

Noelle bit her lower lip. It was all right? She wasn't going to chastise her for disrupting important research? "I'm Noelle. Maybe I should start over. See, I'm from Pine City, and I left this morning to start a pokémon journey. I'm at the Pewter center now, and I was wondering how I get a starter pokémon... I called you because you always write about water- and ice-types, which are my favorites, and you know so much about them, so I worship you."

Professor Holly blushed. "Thank you," she said. "I... I've never been worshipped before."

"I hope I don't sound weird or anything," Noelle continued. "Or too clueless. But everything I know about pokémon is from what I've read and seen on TV. I just left home today without telling anyone, and now that I'm out here on my own, I guess I don't know what to do."

"Hmm... you're in Pewter, you say? My house is just outside Pine City, en route to Pewter. I might be able to help you, though I don't really distribute starter pokémon. But if you're so interested in water- and ice-types, you can come see the ones in my lab."

"I can come to your house? Really? Oh, thank you!" Noelle's gushing made the professor more pink in the cheeks. "I'll be there as soon as I can! Thank you so much!"

Just as it had been when she left that morning, Noelle's bike ride was both exciting and dangerous. True, she was now pedaling to the house of the gracious Professor Holly, but she was also heading back in the direction of Pine City. What if her parents had people out looking for her? And just how close to the city did the professor live, anyway? Noelle recognized her surroundings eventually. The city was right around this bend...

Then she saw a mailbox on the side of the road at her right, next to which was a winding driveway. That led to a sizeable house atop a hill. Was that it? Noelle didn't want to go any farther by this point. Even if this wasn't Professor Holly's house, whoever lived there might be able to tell her where it was.

To her delight, a now-familiar Jynx answered the door. "Jynx!" she said in what seemed like a greeting tone. She even held out her dark little hand.

"Hi there, Jynx!" Noelle's fear washed away with that one gesture. "I guess I have the right place, huh?"

"Looks like." Professor Holly herself came to the door beside her pokémon. "Come on in, Noelle."

While the exterior was large, being a partial laboratory, the actual interior living area was fairly small. Noelle was brought into the living room, which kind of melded into the kitchen. A hallway was at the other end, most likely leading to the bedroom and to the facilities. "Thank you so much for inviting me," Noelle said gratefully. "I was really worried I'd go too far back into the city."

"You don't want to go home?" Professor Holly looked mildly surprised.

"I ran away. My parents shouldn't know where I am."

"Oh... oh my."

Noelle blushed. Suddenly she felt childish, admitting to someone she barely knew that she'd done something so rash. "Well, you seem determined to see it through," Professor Holly said before she could follow up on her reasoning. "That's an important trait in a pokémon trainer: willingness to follow your heart."

Audrey Holly hoped she didn't come off as too awkward. She was pulling this stuff out of nowhere, but it was making Noelle smile. She was nervous -- that unexpected phone call, inviting this strange girl to her home and laboratory... these were not normal actions for her. She'd been doing her solitary research away from Pokémon Tech for many months now, out here in the foothills where the air was crisp and the people sparse. She was quite grateful for her new living arrangement, just herself, Jynx, and the rest of her pokémon research subjects, no people to disrupt or judge or forsake her. So why? Why did this friendly girl have to call her, and why did she have to invite her over?

God help my dying heart, she thought. Her eyes... they're the same shade as--

"Jyynx?" Jynx pulled on Noelle's hand. "Oh?" Noelle asked. "Does Jynx want something?"

Audrey took note of Jynx's eager expression, so similar to a human child's. "I think she wants you to meet the other pokémon," she said. "Which is a good idea, if you're going to be a water trainer."

"What got you so interested in them?" Noelle asked as they headed to the back of the house, the area annexed to serve as the lab.

"I suppose the same thing that any specialist will tell you about her chosen element," Audrey replied. "I've just always thought they're beautiful. There is nothing more profound than the cold stillness of ice, or the frozen perfection of snow."

"That's so sweet," Noelle said softly. "That's exactly what I've always thought. I never could explain why I liked them so much, but I think you just did."

Audrey couldn't help but smile.

Part of the lab included an indoor pool, which held its very own miniature iceburg at one end. Noelle paused in the middle of the room and stared at it. Audrey folded her arms across her chest, also gazing at her most prized possession, the home for her current batch of water/ice pokémon. Her present report was on their social traits, comparing them to the behavior of pokémon that lived in more tropical waters.

"Wow," Noelle breathed. "I've never been so close to any... may I have a closer look?"

"Sure. Just be careful you don't fall in." Audrey was especially interested that Jynx followed Noelle to the edge of the pool. She hadn't left the girl's side since she arrived. Jynx knelt down to the water's edge and dipped her hand in, looking up at Noelle. Audrey raised her eyebrows. This might make another interesting thesis...

"Oh!" Noelle exclaimed. She'd mimicked Jynx, kneeling to touch the cool water, but she fell to her seat and was holding out her wet hand. Audrey rushed over to her. "Something licked me!" she said.

From the water just before them came a little white head sticking its tongue out playfully. One of the Seel had come to say hello. "How cute!" Noelle declared. "Hi there, little Seel!"

"Seel seel!" it greeted back, closing its eyes as Noelle patted its head. She laughed delightfully. Beside her, Jynx was beaming.

"Noelle," Professor Holly said, "would you like to take Seel with you? You know, as a starter?"

A sharp turn, and the familiar blue eyes were incredulously wide. "Take one of your pokémon? I... I couldn't... it wouldn't be right."

"I think it likes you. And you're the one who called me asking for help."

Noelle stood slowly, wiping her hand on the leg of her brown pants. "If I do, I'll take the best care of it, I promise!" She clasped her hands together and bowed her head.

"I know you will," Audrey said with a smile. Jynx made a finalized sound.

She gave Noelle six pokéballs, one of which now held the chosen Seel. "I'm sure you know how to use these," she said. "And take these as well. They're basic potions, but you can find stronger ones in larger cities."

"I don't know how to thank you," Noelle said, placing potions and empty balls in her backpack, but holding Seel's pokéball close.

"Don't worry about it. Just helping out the first fellow ice-type lover I've met in a long time."

"I'll find something," Noelle vowed. "I'll find a way to repay you for being so nice. And so cool. You're the best."

"Oh, now..." Audrey was flustered.

She waved as Noelle biked down her driveway and back onto route 3. How strange it had all been... but if she was going to speak to the human race again, Noelle was a good start.

Well, there was that boy from Vermilion City, too...

The reminder of him shocked Audrey out of her musing. Could it be? The way Noelle couldn't explain just why she loved the element, the way Jynx and Seel took to her in an instant, the fact that Audrey herself was actually at ease talking with her...

"Jynx?" Jynx asked from the professor's side.

Audrey glanced at her pokémon, and then back at the road. "Midori," she whispered. "If your theory is true, then I wish you all the luck in the world."

Last edited:
Danke! Now to hurry with 2, so I can get to 3... Noelle meets Tracey, muahahaha.

Tracey? Really? Aha! That explains why you oohed and aahed over him in my fic.

Very brilliant, Zukin. This fic is wonderful. I'm confused about the whole Midori thing, but I know it'll be explained soon, so yay!

I think the best line was 'By now they must have noticed she wasn't in her room, and were most likely launching into fits of composed anger.'

Keep up the good work. You've got a fan!

~Rocky "Composed anger. Wahahaha!" Cliffs

Chapter Two
A Little Snowflake! Noelle's Historic First Battle!

It was, naturally, more difficult to track down pokémon after the sun had set. The cloaked boy swore under his breath. He was so certain that small creature was a young pokémon, but he'd never find it in the dark. Fortune certainly wasn't on his side lately. He sighed with bitter resolve. He'd have to settle down for the night at the nearest center and resume his search tomorrow. And a mystery pokémon would have done wonders for his quest...

~ * ~​

At the Pewter center's cafeteria, Noelle, happier than she'd ever been in her life, fed Seel pellets of poké-feed from her fingers as she ate her own dinner. Seel clapped its fins together every time it received a pellet, which made Noelle giggle in return. Other trainers feeding their own pokémon looked her way and smiled. Noelle's heart soared. They understood her. They were fellow pokémon lovers on journeys of their own, and any one of them could be a friend.

Seel was sleepy after eating, so Noelle retreated it to its pokéball for the night's rest. She, however, now had something to think about despite her own fatigue. She stepped outside, allowing the cool air to rejuvenate her.

In one day she'd tossed her very way of life aside and done something unbelievably rash -- sneaked away from her parents on a completely random decision. Now, this once-trapped dreamer had her own trainer's license, her own pokémon, and her first destination: the Cerulean gym. She'd flipped through her magazines again after leaving Professor Holly's lab and was reminded that said gym was famous for its aquariums. It would be the perfect place to learn about water- and ice-types, and it was the next closest city, coincidentially. Noelle would be off come morning, after a good night's sleep.

It was too perfect.

She was bound to be caught soon. Surely her parents, so eager they were for a grandson, would have sent their hired hands to search the area for her, right? She couldn't be safe for long. She was fast becoming nervous about roaming the countryside alone. Most young trainers, they got friends to go with them...

It occured to her at that moment -- she really didn't have friends.

She never seriously thought about it. She'd always been content to escape into her pokémon magazines. And there hadn't been any kids her age in the neighborhood. There were, however, children at those upscale gatherings she'd been dragged to, but they were never very interesting. Although... she could have sworn there was someone to whom she was close when she was very young. But the name and face were blank to her. Noelle shook her head. Conjuring memories of a possibly-imaginary friend wasn't going to alleviate her worries about travel.

Instead Noelle gazed at her darkened surroundings. She'd be safe in the center. Safe if you don't stand out and attract attention, silly, she told herself. She was about to return inside when a faraway rustle caught her attention. Just a wild pokémon. Go back inside.

It was the distressed squeak that stopped her. Before she realized what she was doing, she ran for the weeds and the sound's source. "Hello?" she asked cautiously.

A small form raced towards her, promptly hiding behind her legs. Before Noelle could identify it, something else emerged from the brush: a wild Raticate. It skidded before Noelle, met her eyes with its startled ones, and bounded back into the weeds. Noelle blinked. "Well. I showed it, huh?" she said to herself. She turned at the waist, glancing at the figure behind her. "You all right back there?"

It hadn't run away yet, just stood craning its little head up at her. "It's okay," Noelle said, bending down slowly. "Want to come with me to the center? It's nice and safe in there." To her surprise, it allowed her to pick it up and carry it. She couldn't see its features too well, not until she went inside. "Here we are," she told it as she took in its appearance. Truly a tiny creature, its body and head, each about the same size, were round and light purple, its arms, feet, and chest pale yellow. It boasted thick, straw-colored hair, saucer-shaped blue eyes, and pink lips, which were puckered out curiously.

"Awww, aren't you cute?" Noelle said as she carried it to the desk. "Nurse Joy?" she called.

"Yes?" Joy came out from the back office. "Oh my! What have you got there, Noelle?"

"This was being chased by a Raticate," Noelle explained, setting the little pokémon on the counter. It stared at her, blue eyes shining. "Can you make sure it's okay?"

"I certainly can. Oh, Chansey!" Joy called for her assistant. The pink, egg-shaped pokémon brought out a stretcher, on which Joy set the purple creature. "Looks like it needs something to eat and a good rest, along with a checkup. Check back in the morning, okay?"

Noelle nodded and watched Joy and Chansey leave the main area. She'd never seen any pictures of a little creature like that before. Surely it was a pokémon, but what kind? Or had she discovered something new?

Despite the day's accumulated excitement, Noelle slept deeply. She awoke late in the morning the next day, took a quick shower, and headed for the front desk to see Nurse Joy. "You're just in time," the pink-haired young woman told her. "I just checked on your little pokémon." She exited to the back quickly and returned with the small creature.

"Hi there!" Noelle greeted it. "I bet you feel a lot better, huh?"

It tilted its round head at her, then smiled and declared in a high, sweet voice, "churu!" Noelle and Joy giggled with delight.

"Excuse me," said someone behind Noelle. A boy her age approached the counter. "I believe you have my pokémon."

Noelle stared at him. He had a serious, determined look about him, from his hardened blue eyes to his confident slouch. Noelle was even more interested in the fact that he was wearing a cloak. He must have been quite an individual... in fact, the more she studied him, the more she realized that he was quite the cute individual.

"I'm sorry," Joy told him gently, "but this pokémon isn't registered in your name. It's wild."

"But I've been tracking it," the boy said calmly. "I mean to have it."

"Well, you might have to take it up with this young lady. She found it exhausted and brought it in last night."

He faced Noelle, as if noticing her for the first time. She felt her insides jump around all funny, and she couldn't think of a thing that would be appropriate to say to him.

"I'll trade you anything you want for it," he said directly. "I've got plenty of repeat pokémon. But I've never seen that one, and it doesn't have a record in my pokédex. I must have it."

Hi. I'm Noelle. You're gorgeous, she thought. A small sound from the little pokémon, still in Joy's arms, snapped her back to attention. "I don't know if that's very fair," she said. "You have lots of pokémon, and I just started my trainer's journey yesterday."

He blinked, not expecting such an answer.

"And I found it, and I think it likes me," Noelle went on. "I couldn't just give it away like that."

"I see. Then perhaps we should have a battle to determine which one of us is fit to take care of it."

Noelle gasped under her breath. What kind of trainer was this guy?

"You said yourself that you just started your journey yesterday," he said. "Such a novice can't have experience handling an obviously rare pokémon like that one. However, if you beat me in a battle, it'll prove that you have command over the pokémon you use, and are worthy."

"You can't treat pokémon like they're battle prizes!" Noelle protested. "If anything, this one should choose who it wants for its trainer!"

"Chuu?" it asked curiously. Nurse Joy's eyes were wide.

So were the boy's. "A good perception. Will you battle me, anyway? Just to see which one of us will win?"

"Uh?" Noelle still wasn't expecting to be challenged.

"Have you had a battle yet in your one day of being a trainer?"

"I... no..."

"Then it would be an honor to be your first." He closed his eyes, smiled, and bowed slightly at the waist. Noelle's heart thrashed. She never knew her first challenge would be like this.

Nurse Joy followed them outside, to watch from the steps of the center. "What's your name?" the boy asked as they headed out to the center of the field.

"It's Noelle," she said. "Noelle Winter."

He smiled again. "I'm Gary Oak," he told her.

She replayed the name over and over in her mind until something caught her attention: the number of pokéballs on his belt. Surely he wouldn't use all those against her one Seel? "One-on-one," she blurted out.

"What's that?"

Noelle blushed. "Let's make it a one-on-one battle. Is that okay?"

Gary Oak nodded. "Perfectly fine," he agreed.

What am I getting myself into? Noelle asked herself as Gary crossed the field ahead of her. Did I agree to this just because he's cute? She saw Joy and the purple pokémon in front of the center. No, it's for that little one. I know it wants to be with me. It was so exhausted because it was trying to get away from Gary, I know it!

"All right, Noelle!" Gary called. "Let's see what you've got! Send out your pokémon!"

She gripped the red and white ball tightly. "Let's do it for our little friend," she whispered. "Go, Seel!" The red energy from the open pokéball formed into Seel, who seemed to understand already that this was a battle, as it faced Gary with a steely look in its brown eyes.

"A Seel, eh? Pretty good for your starting pokémon." Gary pulled a ball from his belt. "I think I know just what to use now."

Please, not a stronger type, Noelle begged silently. Please, nothing that Seel can't handle... Gary released his chosen pokémon. "Eevee!" he called.

"Awww, how cute!" Noelle blurted out in her relief that it wasn't a monstrously powerful pokémon. Gary looked a little taken aback at her exclamation. "Looks aren't everything!" he cautioned her. "Go on, Eevee, tackle attack!"

The fluffy thing charged at Seel, and Noelle was too caught up in how fast it was all happening to give a counterattack. She assumed Seel would know to jump out of the way, but it stood its ground, waiting for an order, and was tackled as a result. "Oh, Seel!" Noelle cried as it yelped in pain.

Gary placed a hand on his hip, waiting for her to act. Noelle berated herself for just standing there; she certainly was making herself look bad. Couldn't she have brought a magazine with her? What attacks did Seel know, anyway? She felt increasingly stupid. She was letting the little pokémon, Seel, and herself down, all because she wasn't using her head...

"Head butt!" she ordered, the attack name coming to her. Seel managed itself upright and flew at its opponent, the horn on its head drilling into Eevee's side. Noelle winced. This kind of battling wasn't as heroic as the matches on TV looked.

"Get up and use sand-attack!" Gary instructed. Eevee charged at Seel, skidded along the ground to kick dirt in its eyes, and bounded away.

"Try another head butt!" Noelle called, but Seel missed due to its temporary blindness. Noelle started panicking. This was so humiliating... why did she have to favor a water-type?

"Eevee, bite it!" Gary said, and Eevee sank its sharp little teeth into Seel's side. It was a much stronger bite than it appeared, for Seel collapsed and didn't get up. "Oh no!" Noelle cried, rushing to it. She lost, and now Gary would claim her little friend.

Gary recalled Eevee to its pokéball and joined Noelle. "You'll have to take it in the center to get it healed," he said.

"I know that!" she snapped. "I'm not as stupid as I look!" She sniffled as tears stung her eyes. How? After all the reading she'd done over the years, how could she have been so careless?

"There's a big difference between stupidity and inexperience, Noelle," Gary said, with something that may have been kindness in his voice. "You'll get better as you battle more."

Noelle stroked Seel's head, hoping it could feel her hand. "Is that why you challenged me? Because you knew you'd win?"

"Of course not. Do you think I have that little confidence in my own abilities?"<p>
She looked up at him towering over her, the bottom of his cloak flapping in the breeze. "Then why?"

He seemed to be taking this into consideration. "I'm not entirely sure," he said at last, extending a hand and helping her up.

She held Seel's pokéball out, retracting it inside. "I want to battle you again," she said. "Someday, after I've had more training. Can I?"

"I'll look forward to it," Gary said. He headed for the pokémon center. Noelle stared after him for a second before she caught up. "You're not as bad as you think," he added. "The typical beginning trainer is only allowed to start off with a level five pokémon. Seel is much stronger than that, and it obeys you unconditionally. Where did you get it?"

"From a friend of mine," Noelle answered, bewildered. "Professor Holly."

Gary nodded. "It's also obvious that you need more pokémon on your team," he said. "I caught three after my first day travelling." They stopped in front of the stairs, where Nurse Joy was waiting.

"I... I know that," Noelle said.

"So you can keep the little one," Gary continued. "You were right. You cared enough to bring it inside last night, and I already have plenty of pokémon."

Noelle exchanged an incredulous look with Joy. "Seriously?" she asked. "You don't mind?"

"Hopefully I'll see another one. But that one likes you." He pointed. The pokémon squirmed in Joy's arms, reaching its paws out to Noelle. Joy handed it over. "Let's go inside and get your pokémon healed," she offered.

Seel's health was restored awhile later, in time for Noelle to take notice of her rumbling stomach. "Do you want to come have breakfast?" she asked Gary shyly.

"Thanks, but no. I have to get going," he said. "You enjoy breakfast with your new pokémon, though." He gave Noelle a smile as he turned for the door.

"I will! And I'll see you again for a rematch!" She waved and watched him leave, heaving a rather girlish sigh.

"That was nice of him to agree to let you keep that pokémon," Joy remarked.

"Yeah." Noelle was still watching the door. "I'm going to raise the best pokémon and show him how good I can be."

"I'm sure you will." Joy couldn't help giggling, which made Noelle blush.

She took Seel and her new pokémon outside after a big breakfast. "You aren't mad at me for making you battle on land for your first time, are you, Seel?" she asked. It looked at her blankly. Noelle chuckled. "Maybe further training will lead me to understand you, huh?"

The purple pokémon in her lap started making an odd, quiet sound. Noelle thought it sounded like humming. She looked at Seel, marvelling at the cuteness of a humming pokémon, when something drifted before her eyes. She changed her focus. They were snowflakes, sparse and tiny, but snowflakes.

"Snow? In June?" she asked. "What's going on?" Seel's eyes, too, followed the powdery flakes as they fell to the ground. "Powder snow?" Noelle questioned. "Is that what you're doing?" She stared with amazement at the pokémon in her lap. After a moment, it stopped humming, blinked at her, and went "churu!" with a happy smile.

Noelle was enchanted. "Then your name is Snowflake," she decided. "I have to call you something until I learn what you are."

"Churu chu!" Snowflake leapt at her chest for a pokémon-sized hug. Noelle squeezed it gently. A powder snow move... maybe it's an ice-type! What a coincidence, then. I may just have my ice team yet.

~ * ~​

There was a place -- if such was the most appropriate word -- that the untrained eye couldn't see. Beyond the tangible earth, approachable only with a clear, open mind and perfect trust... that's where the form of a young boy met his newest companion. She appeared as a little girl, younger than he, with thick blond hair and lavender skin.

"It doesn't snow in summer," the boy told her.

She smiled enigmatically. "No one else noticed but us. And Noelle loves snow. I saw it in her mind. You do too, you know."

It was no secret that, as a creature of ice, he preferred snow over sun. He sighed and looked around, though there was nothing physical to see. "I am not as strong as I thought," he said.

"You will be. Just like I'll be... I suppose."

"I want to be my best for her. She's... she deserves it."

"I think that's why we get trained. That's what the people in the breeding center always talked about."

He nodded, his pure white hair bobbing. "And here I thought I was content to live in an indoor pool for my life. Not until she showed up. I still can't believe it was me she chose."

The little girl smiled. She, too, was content. A great relief filled her, as if she'd been anticipating some event for a longer amount of time than she'd actually lived.

Wow! The Pokémon talking and all that! Is that how you imagine Pokémon talking or was this something special?

Gary Oak is not cute. ;-) I do like how you represented his character, though. Very Gary Oak-ish, I think.

I love Noelle. I simply love her. I want to grab her and run off and put her in my story. She's the sweetest thing, and I'm sad she lost her first battle!

Oh, and, uh, Noelle will have to show Rocky how to scare Raticate away just by looking at them. It's a trait he could use.

Who's that Pokémon? It's......wait, I don't know! It's not Smoochum, it's not Jirachi (as I was thinking of for a short while), so it must be a new one, eh? I hope we'll be seeing a lot of this little "churu".

*reads above* Okay, that was all scattered, but I'm in that kind of mood. I really did love the chapter. You tell your story very well, and I can't wait to watch Noelle kick the Pewter Gym Leader's butt.

~Rocky :017: Cliffs

And here's chapter three. While I've been excited about it, I realize it's really only filler. Significantly introduces a main character, but deep down, nothing but cute, squishy, setting-up-a-subplot filler.
Enjoy anyway. *collapses* I'ma go to sleep now.

Chapter Three
Aquarium of Elegance! Hey, What's With the Sketchbook?

She could hear ringing, and it tugged at her mind, pulling her from the comfort of sleep. She opened her eyes, wincing at the daylight, becoming aware of the pain in her back, as she'd slept with her head in her arms on her desk. Audrey Holly rubbed her eyes and put her glasses on, wheeling her chair over to the video phone. She smoothed her hair, hid an empty wine bottle under the desk, and finally answered. A much more kempt Professor Oak was waiting on screen. "Good morning, Audrey," he said. "I didn't wake you up, did I?"

"Oh, no, Professor." Audrey's throat felt fuzzy, and there was a foul taste within. She must have fallen asleep before she could brush her teeth. "Can I help you with something?"

But Samuel Oak wasn't a practiced genius for nothing. He gave her a sympathetic smile. "I've just been thinking about you the past few days, and wondering how your latest research project was coming. And since I had a rare free moment now, I thought I'd call."

Audrey smiled back, grateful that her old teacher was still thinking of her. "It's going just fine, thanks. I'm minus a Seel, but that's not too dire."

"Oh? What happened to it?"

"I gave it to someone. A girl showed up at my door wanting to be an ice-type trainer... my Jynx and that Seel just attached themselves to her, so I couldn't let her leave without it."

Professor Oak nodded. "Then that was very nice of you. I'm sure she appreciates it."

Audrey paused, for the thought of that sweet girl carrying appreciation for her was something she'd never considered. Noelle would always remember her generosity... wouldn't she?

Professor Oak suddenly jerked his head from the screen and swore. He leapt from his chair, and Audrey found herself leaning close and peering at the corner of the screen, as if she could see into his lab where he had gone. She blinked, raised an eyebrow at herself, and returned to an upright position.

The professor returned and laughed with embarrassment. "Sorry about that, Audrey. My ramen boiled over, and I forgot that my assistant isn't here to take care of it."

"Where is he?"

"I sent him on an errand for me. With all the projects I'm catching up on from the past, I don't have time to look for these newly-discovered types that are popping up all over from the Johto region. It's a good thing for Tracey to start on his own, if he wants to be a researcher as well."

"That's kind of you." It must be nice to have an assistant to keep you company AND do some of your work for you, she added to herself. She wasn't nearly as busy as Samuel Oak, but she couldn't deny that having a protégé, especially one that lived with her, would be a nice change of pace.

"I'm sure it is," Professor Oak said. "But I hope he returns soon with a new pokémon or two. I sure miss the way he cleaned up the lab." He laughed a little more uproariously than necessary.

~ * ~​

It was definitely odd to be riding with her backpack strapped to her chest, Noelle decided, but it was the only way Snowflake could travel safely by bicycle. With just its head sticking out from the top of the back, Snowflake watched the passing trees with unwavering interest. Noelle was careful to pedal steadily and avoid holes in the road. She'd be in Cerulean City soon, and, after another night at the Pewter pokémon center, she was glad to be on the road, farther from Pine City and also closer to the mecca of water-types.

"Here we are!" she announced to Snowflake as she chained her bike to the rack outside the gym. She gathered her little pokémon in her arms and slid her backpack over her shoulders properly. "See the big Dewgong there?" She pointed to the gym's sign. "That's what Seel will be someday, huh?"

Groups of children swarmed around her as she entered the building. She watched as they followed some adults. "Are you here for the tour?" she heard someone ask, and found herself facing a pink-haired girl her own age.

"There's a tour?" Noelle repeated.

The girl nodded. "It's, like, for summer schools and day-camp groups. Everyone can see the aquariums, and even go swimming with their pokémon. Are you interested?"

"Oh, that would be great!" Noelle beamed. "I'm here to learn everything about water pokémon, and this is perfect!"

"Yay!" She clapped her hands together. "My name's Lily, and I'm one of the gym leaders here."

"You're a gym leader?" Noelle was surprised that this teenage girl was partially in command of the entire gym.

"Yep, along with my sisters. If you're interested in water-types, you've definitely come to the best place in the country." She winked, proud of her title. Then she glanced at her wristwatch. "Oh! I've got to, like, get to my tour group. Enjoy your stay! Thank you!" She waved and ran off.

"Churu?" Snowflake spoke up.

"This is better than I thought," Noelle said to her pokémon. "I can go swimming! I haven't done that in ages! Oh..." It occured to her that she didn't have a bathing suit. This disappointed her only until she saw a sign pointing the way to a gift shop. She headed in the direction, and, to her delight, saw a variety of suits to choose from. True, she didn't have a lot of money left, but water masters needed to spend great deals of time in the water, right?

Snowflake watched from a corner-mounted bench in the changing room as Noelle tried on different suits. With each one she imagined the reaction of a certain cute boy upon their rematch. "I challenge you to a water battle, Gary! So let's get in the pool together, okay?" She admired her reflection and giggled. This fantasy surely influenced her final choice, a single-piece suit of black cut in very flattering angles. Noelle hadn't quite developed fully yet, but she felt her petite curves were given enough justice. She paid for it and left the gift shop with a huge smile on her face.

She found the aquarium and the many clusters of children led by grownups, including Lily. She felt a little awkward being here on her own, but this place was open to the public, after all. She approached one of the glass walls, a side of a tank where pokémon were swimming. Snowflake's head followed a school of Goldeen, but it buried its face in Noelle's chest as a Tentacruel came up to the glass. Noelle stroked her pokémon's hair and moved on to another window across the room. "See, Snowflake?" she said softly. "There's some Shellder and a Cloyster napping."

"Chu?" Snowflake lifted its head to look. A movement above the sleeping pokémon caught Noelle's eye -- a Dewgong swam by in a relaxed manner. Noelle held in her breath as she watched its tail fan out, its body twist gracefully as it turned to its back, unrestrained from gravity in the water. It was swimming away, and Noelle stepped back to watch it in the adjacent glass wall from a distance.

She wasn't the only one. In front of the window was a boy holding a notebook, but his pencil strokes weren't writing. Was he drawing? Noelle tiptoed as close as she could without disturbing him, and saw, to her delight, that he'd sketched the Dewgong.

She fought a squeal, for he looked so deep in concentration. She'd definitely have to track him down later and compliment him on his choice of subject. She dared a peek at the boy himself -- tall and dressed in loose-fitting clothes, he had dark green hair of varying lengths, from in front of his eyes to just below his chin. He was biting his bottom lip as his eyes darted from pokémon to page. It was hard to tell from just a faraway profile, but Noelle was quite certain he was as cute as he was talented.

Such visions today, she thought with a quiet sigh. After watching more of the swimming pokémon, she was ready to visit that pool. A quick change in the dressing room, and she was set. "Wow," she said to herself as she came to the pool itself. It was much larger than she'd pictured, and a good thing at that, with all the people swimming with pokémon. She padded on bare feet to a bench against the wall, on which she set her backpack and towel from the changing room. With her hands free now, she pulled Seel's pokéball from her bag and released Seel into the water. It took in its surroundings in a fraction of a second and clapped its forepaws together happily.

"Nice pool, huh?" Noelle said. "Bet you're glad to be here after yesterday's battle."

"Seel!" it declared, and dived under. Noelle saw it head for the deep end, as did Snowflake, who toddled to the edge of the pool and looked down at the clear water.

"Hey, hold on there." Noelle picked the tiny pokémon up. "Something tells me you're not much of a swimmer."

Snowflake blinked its huge blue eyes. "But how can I go in if you've got to stay here?" Noelle wondered. "Maybe you need a pokéball." She carried Snowflake to the bench behind her, setting it down as she rummaged through her backpack. "Where did those things go?" she muttered.

"Chuuu!" She heard a cry in panic. Noelle whipped around. Snowflake had fallen in! Her stomach plummeted at a sickening speed as she realized how fast it had happened, how she'd only set her pokémon down for a second. She raced to the edge of the pool, nearly falling in herself. "Snowflake!" she shrieked.

To her complete surprise and gradually spreading relief, Snowflake was holding tight to a buoyant blue ball, safely above water. Noelle clutched her thumping heart, and she noticed after a few seconds that the ball was attached to something: an equally round, blue pokémon with a sweet and happy face. "Marill!" it squeaked, looking pleased with itself.

"Oh, Snowflake!" Noelle cried, kneeling down to pick it up. "I'm so sorry! Can you ever forgive me?" The wet little pokémon clung to its trainer, shivering. Noelle brushed her lips atop Snowflake's head, squeezing her eyes shut. She could feel the other swimmers watching her, wondering how such an irresponsible girl was even allowed in the famed Cerulean Gym...

"Marill!" came a male voice. The Marill called out in response. Noelle heard approaching footsteps, then the same voice just in front of her. "Are you two okay?"

She looked up shamefully and gasped out loud despite herself. It was the boy with the sketchbook. He sat on his knees inches away from her, and his eyes, which she noticed were clear and brown, were full of concern. "Uh.." she started to say. "Um, I'm fine. Snowflake's only shocked."

"I'm just glad Marill was nearby. What happened?"

"It was an accident... I don't how I was so stupid." Noelle wiped away a tear threatening to fall.

"Oh... no, accidents happen," he said gently. "And your pokémon is okay. Don't be upset."<p>
Noelle met his eyes again and sniffled. "Thanks," she whispered.

He smiled, then looked at Snowflake. "What is it, anyway?" he asked, leaned in closer for a better look. Snowflake, realizing that it was out of the water and now the focus of attention, turned itself around. The boy stared with great interest. Noelle was a little more interested in the fact that, while his eyes were on Snowflake, his head was still scant inches away from her chest, barely concealed by her new bathing suit. "Um..." she spoke up.

Snowflake stuck its lips out and giggled. He realized his position and backed up, blushing furiously.

She hid a smile behind her hand. She may have been an accidentally irresponsible trainer, but she felt bad for his mistake. "I'm Noelle," she said, holding out her hand.

He blinked, then gave her a grateful smile. "I'm Tracey," he said, shaking her hand. "So, um, what is your pokémon?"

"I have no idea. I found it outside the Pewter City center. I named it Snowflake."<p>
"It's very cute. May I make some sketches of it later?"

Later, Noelle thought as her heart skipped a beat. Yes, I want to be around you later. She forced herself to put an end to her wandering mind. "Of course you can! I saw you drawing the Dewgong. I have to see! It's my favorite pokémon!"

Tracey grinned. They both turned to the pool as they heard Marill calling out and splashing around, looking at Tracey expectantly. "Do you want to swim with Marill?" he asked Noelle.

"What, me? Don't you have a bathing suit?"

"I do, but..." He trailed off, scratching the back of his neck. "I don't know. I, um, just ate, and you shouldn't swim after you do that, you know."

"Oh..." Noelle glanced at Marill. "Then you can watch Snowflake for me!" She handed her pokémon to him, pleased that she'd solved everyone's dilemmas. "I want to catch up to my Seel, and Marill can come with me." With Snowflake safely guarded, Noelle moved to the edge of the pool and stuck her feet in. "It's cold!" she exclaimed.

"Marill?" Marill looked up at her.

"Okay, here I go." She braced herself and slid in, clutching her arms. "I had no idea it was this cold!"

Tracey stood up, looking amused. "You'll get used to it," he said.

Marill swam around Noelle's waist in circles. "Okay, Marill." She bent her knees and submerged herself up to her shoulders, getting used to the water's temperature before taking in a breath and submerging her head. Then she was off to the deep end. She hadn't been swimming too much in the past, but whenever she did go, she took to the act naturally.

In the pool's clear water, she saw Seel approaching, happy that she'd joined it at last. They both rose up for a breath of air, Seel looking at Marill curiously. "This is Marill, who belongs to that guy over there," Noelle said to her pokémon, pointing to Tracey sitting at the pool's edge with Snowflake in his lap. Seel seemed interested for a moment, then dived back underwater, challenging Noelle to a race. "You're on! Marill, be our judge!" She laughed and pursued her Seel.

Seel won every race, and Noelle, soon out of energy, decided that it was time to rest. She returned to the shallow side of the pool and waded through the waist-deep water, approaching Snowflake and Tracey. "Did you see me swim?" she asked her pokémon, ruffling its now-dry hair. Snowflake threw its paws up with a delighted "churu!"

A glance at Tracey showed that he was averting his eyes while redness colored his cheeks. Guess I'm more revealing when this thing is wet, Noelle thought of her well-fitting bathing suit. He must have been bored, just sitting there while everyone else was playing with their pokémon. She made one more swim to the deep end to find Seel and Marill, and had them follow her back. "We can't stay here all day," she said as they gave her pleading looks. "But I promise another swim soon." She climbed out and fetched Seel's pokéball.

"The pokémon center here has its own pool," Tracey informed her. "Seel should be happy in that."

"See?" Noelle shared a smile with the white sea lion before returning it to the ball. "That's good to know about the center. Looks like I'll be staying there."

Tracey offered to hold onto Snowflake while Noelle changed back into her clothes. She emerged from the dressing room, pulling the hair ties from her wet pigtails. "I should've thought of this before jumping in the water," she said, wincing. She got them free and shook her loose hair. It would dry faster this way.

As they left the pool room, Tracey pulled a sketchbook from his backpack. "Here's the Dewgong," he said, flipping to the page. "It's just a rough sketch, but I really wanted to capture it swimming. It was so weightless underwater that it seemed surreal."

"Oh..." Noelle was enthralled at the drawing, at how ethereal Dewgong appeared. "That's beautiful! Are you a professional artist?"

"Nowhere near professional level. I'm just a watcher. And I'm--"

"Oh, cool! I've read about those!" Noelle jumped in place eagerly. "You travel the world and observe pokémon in their true natural habitats! Wow, I bet you've been everywhere!"

Tracey chuckled. "Not quite everywhere. Just most of Kanto, and the whole of the Orange Archipelago. That's where I'm from, so naturally I've been all over the islands."

"That's still so many places! I'm jealous!" They wandered to the aquarium room again, idly passing by the glass walls. "I've only spent the last few years of my life holed up in my room reading about this kind of stuff," she went on. "But you're lucky. You get to go places."

"You're in a place now," Tracey said, almost teasingly. "Unless your room is in the back of the gym, I'd say you got out."

"No..." Noelle giggled. "I ran away. I had to find out about the world for myself, not just through the media."

He glanced at one of the glass walls, where a lone Magikarp drifted by. "So did I," he said, more quietly than before.

His faraway gaze lasted only a moment, though. "Can I ask you something, Noelle?" he spoke again.

She was puzzled by his sudden change, but smirked in spite of herself. "You just did."

Tracey raised an eyebrow and grinned. "Well, you see... I'm not just a pokémon watcher. I also kind of work for Professor Oak."

"Professor Oak!?" Noelle exclaimed. "You mean the world's most famous expert in all things pokémon? The man who patented the pokédex? That Professor Oak?"

"Yep, that one. I'm his personal assistant, and I--"

"Personal assistant!?" There was no end to Noelle's amazement. "Why didn't you tell me you were so important?"

"It never occured to me that I was." There also seemed no end to Tracey's embarrassment. "Anyway, I'm out here in Cerulean City because I'm looking around for new kinds of pokémon to bring back to his lab in Pallet Town to study. I haven't had any luck until today, and I was wondering if you'd let me take Snowflake."

"Huh?" Noelle held her pokémon closer. "You want to take Snowflake away from me?"

"Oh no! Not that! You can come, too... with me. If you want to. If you don't mind. Um."

She was stunned. Just yesterday she fretted about travelling alone, and today that problem was solved, along with the chance to meet the Professor Oak. Along with the chance to journey with this talented and awkwardly cute boy. Her initial shock gave way to a joyous smile. "I'd love to!" she gushed. "I'm so glad you want to study my Snowflake!"

"Churu!" Snowflake piped up in agreement.

Hey, hey, Rocky hugs him in about six years, according to the Rocky-Noelle timeline, so you can't say that!

*ahem ahem* Sorry about that. Two words: Noelle rocks. She sweet and innocent and beautiful. I love her character.

This was most certainly not filler. I hate it when people use that word. Filler is if nothing happened. Let's see, what happened? Noelle met Tracey and is traveling with him to Pallet Town. You can't say that's unimportant, can you? Sure, this might not have been the most plot-important chapter, but I wouldn't call it filler. Heck, I don't think anything is filler unless for the whole chapter the main characters sit around and talk, and it'd have to be about meaningless stuff, otherwise it might not be filler if they talk about important things.[/rant]

Sorry about that! I so didn't mean to do that! Anyways, I loved this chapter. I love Tracey's Marill so it was good to see it again! But does Tracey really have dark green hair? I thought it was black. Oh well. Great chapter. Write more.

~Rocky :034: Cliffs

Wow, isn’t this a lovely written story? I adore the character Noelle, who seems like she’s got a bit of Brock in her. ^_~ I thought that Snowflake was a Smoochum when you first described it, but I guess not.... Also, there’s quite a bit of mystery surrounding the plot already, which is always a plus. So, first Gary(who’s personality you actually made me enjoy), then Tracey.-Who is Noelle going to run into next? Great job so far!

*bounces* Reviews make me so happy. ^.^ That said, it's time to clear up some things.

EW was started back when G/S was relatively new, and the anime's storyline was "wow, look at all these newly-discovered pokémon from Johto!" For one thing, I don't make up my own pokémon, so don't think too hard on what she is. For another, Jiraachi isn't purple. Snowflake is quite easy to picture after a couple of descriptions. It's just that Noelle and company have no idea what she is, with the world being slightly unfamiliar with the concept of baby pokémon.

I stuck the "filler" disclaimer on ch. 3 out of fear that people would think it's boring. Unless they're Tracey fans like I am, in which case they'd be squealing through the entirety. ^^ Yes, his hair is dark green. Sometimes the shadows make it appear black, but green it be. More distinctive that way.

Coming in chapter 5: Some answers to things that happened in chapter 1... or just more questions? And a new friend? She sure has a unique way of showing off...

I babble. Time for story.

~ * ~

Chapter Four
Team Rocket! What Will They Steal Next?

Sleep could not come soon enough to Tracey Sketchit.

His bedside window was open, cool air blowing into the stuffy room at the Cerulean pokémon center. Being a Tangelo Island native, warm weather never bothered him; tonight, however, the summer temperature only added to the list of reasons why he lay wide awake.

Noelle. Even the thought of her name wracked his insides like a roller coaster. Besides the sight of her in a tiny black bathing suit, besides the fact that she agreed to bring her pokémon to Pallet Town, Tracey knew there was something, a yet-unexplainable something, about her that he'd never known in other girls he thought he'd liked.

He sighed, staring at the curtains, which waved in the incoming breeze. He was thinking too much too fast, and now... he had to put an end to this. He crossed the room to turn on the overhead light, then retrieved a sketchbook from his backpack and returned to bed, propping the book up on his raised knees.

There was light knocking on the door, and it opened slightly. "Tracey? Are you awake, too?" It was Noelle, and she'd come to his room. He felt faint.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she said, peering inside and noticing him sitting in bed. "I didn't mean to disturb you. I just saw your light on when I went to the bathroom."

"I'm not disturbed," Tracey replied automatically, not wanting her to leave. Nice answer, stupid, he thought. "I, um, just wanted to touch up some drawings since I can't get to sleep."

Noelle nodded. "I'm too hot. I wish I had a fan in my room. Or something." She sat down on the end of his bed. "So what are you working on?"

He'd already made a few additional pencil strokes. "Just touching up the Dewgong from the gym." He showed her the page. "Since you seem to like it so much."

"Aww." Noelle's growing smile lit up her face. "Do you draw everything so beautifully?"

"I don't know about that. I just draw what I see, really. I don't think I have any special style." He flipped the Dewgong page over and started sketching anew.

"Oh, no, I think your style is really ethereal. At least, judging by that one Dewgong. You haven't shown me any other your other drawings."

"My other sketchbooks, the ones with all my notes, are at the lab. You'll see after those, I don't do anything distinctive."

"No way. I know better." Noelle pulled her knees to her chest, resting her chin on them. "I wish I could draw. I can play the piano, and I suppose I can sing... but that's because of music and voice lessons. You're a natural."

"Everybody's good at something, I suppose."

"I wonder what I'm good at."

Tracey turned his sketchbook over to show her his sketch in progress. "You're a good subject," he said.

She gasped under my breath. "I don't look like that," she said. "That's so pretty. You're exaggerating."

"No, I'm not. I just draw what I see."

The shine in her ice-blue eyes and her flattered smile did more to Tracey's heart than any cliché fantasy could do. But he forced himself to return to his sketch, lest he be accused of staring awkwardly. "So," he said, "have you called home yet? Your parents must be wondering about you."

"Hmph." Noelle turned her nose up. "Biding their time is more like it."

"Hmm?"

"I thought they'd send all the help to search Kanto for me. Guess they need them there at the house, since they can't do anything for themselves."

"Help?" Tracey repeated. It occured to him that they'd spent the entire evening talking about how he'd met Professor Oak and the adventures he'd had with his two friends thoughout the Orange Islands, but he really didn't know much about Noelle's past.

"Yeah," she said. "Didn't I tell you? I grew up in a mansion. If you know anything about Pine City, then it'd be familiar. Winter Manor."

Tracey's eyes grew wide. The only thing he knew about Pine was that it was a rather exclusive town at the base of Mt. Moon, near the Johto border.

"Anyway, the more I think about it, the more it seems like they'd just wait around for me to come back," Noelle continued. "I'm sure they've figured out I ran away to be with pokémon. They've known I wanted to since I was ten, and they would never let me. They think I'm a little girl who can't take care of herself, and who needs constant looking after. That's why they arranged my marriage... part of why."

"Marriage?" Tracey wasn't being much of a conversationalist, and he cursed himself for it.

"Isn't that insane?" If Noelle noticed this, she didn't seem to mind. "I'm fifteen, for crying out loud. So I put my foot down there. If someone finds me out here, then I'll just run away faster, I suppose. I'm just glad I'm not travelling alone anymore." She looked at Tracey again, smiling gratefully. "So, um, now you know about that."

"I'm sorry to bring it up like that," he apologized. "I'll help you hide from them in any way I can."

"We should go to Pallet Town in disguise." She giggled. "So what about your parents? Since you asked, have you called them?"

He wasn't expecting the question to turn around to him. He fumbled and dropped his pencil. "Ah, no," he answered, bending over to pick it up from the floor. "I think my relationship with them is on about the same level as yours."

"Really? What happened?"

They were memories he usually kept healthily buried. Things breaking downstairs, yelling, hiding, crying, praying. "I just had to leave," he said quietly. "You know... because pokémon watching should take place in all kinds of environments, not just one island." He smiled feebly.

"I'm sorry," Noelle whispered. It seemed she saw through his answer. "So--"

"Are you--" Tracey said at the same time. They blinked at each other and laughed. "Go ahead," she prompted him.

"Are you thinking of taking the Indigo League challenge?" he asked, grateful for a subject change. "You'd have to really work, since it happens in August."

"The League? Oh, I don't know... I'm not really into competing." Noelle stretched her arms in front of her, yawning. "I just know I like pokémon, and I want to raise my own. I don't know if I should look into a specific field. Maybe I'll be a watcher." She grinned.

Tracey smiled back. "It's a good calling."

"Or a special researcher on ice-types, like Professor Holly. No matter what it is, my life has to be connected with ice pokémon somehow."

Tracey admired her devotion. He'd always been fascinated by people who just adhered to one elemental type of pokémon. He wouldn't wish his Marill or Venonat or Scyther away for a bond like that, but it always sounded interesting to have a type trademark.

"So I guess I won't be taking the challenge, no," Noelle went on. "No stops in every major city to earn gym badges. We'll get to Pallet quicker that way." She looked idly around the room. "I should probably get back to bed. I don't want Snowflake to wake up and wonder where I've gone."

Tracey nodded, running his fingers through his hair to push it away from his eyes. "What a pair we are, about ready to stay up talking the night away."

Noelle giggled behind one hand. "As much fun as it would be to stay up all night with you, we should probably get some sleep." She stood up and waved. "Night-night. I'll see you for breakfast."

"Sleep well," Tracey said, the only words he managed to say. Had she really said...?

He watched the door close behind her as the pencil fell from his hand again. If he'd been thinking fondly of her before, he was enthralled now. Independent, brave, smart, an eye for aesthetics and a heart for a beautiful element, lover of pokémon, painstakingly gorgeous, and only one year younger than himself -- Noelle was the dream girl Tracey had never imagined, for fear of letting himself down. She was real, and she was going to Pallet Town with him.

~ * ~​

Noelle, refreshed after a morning shower and hearty breakfast, was in the middle of handing pellet after pellet of poké-feed to Snowflake when Tracey entered the center's cafeteria. Unlike her, however, his hair was dishelved and matted, as though he'd just gotten up. "Hi there, Tracey," she said, amused by his wrinkled clothes, in which he'd obviously slept. "Do you always get up so late?"

He looked a little flustered and glanced down at himself. "I guess I did forget to change. Um."

"Nice underwear." Noelle couldn't help giggling. His boxers were of the Marill-print variety.

Now Tracey blushed in full. "Okay, I forgot completely why I came here in the first place. I guess to make sure you hadn't left or anything." He held a hand up to his eyes, as if trying to hide from the rest of the trainers present.

"Oh, I don't think I could leave now that I know that my travelling companion has Marill underwear." She laughed as he hunched up his shoulders in embarrassment. "Aww, I mean that it's adorable! I want some, too! Or better yet, some Dewgong-print ones! Can you imagine that?"

"That would be something to sketch," Tracey said boldly.

"Churu?" Snowflake questioned. Noelle shrieked and giggled again.

"All right, now that we've made complete spectacles of ourselves, I'm going to get changed," Tracey said. Noelle watched him leave and smirked with satisfaction. Her travels certainly wouldn't go without entertainment.

Some time later, a newly-dressed and wet-haired Tracey returned to the cafeteria where Noelle was waiting. He helped himself to what was now brunch on the buffet line, a plate of sandwiches and a couple of slices of cantaloupe. "I think we should stock up on some things from the pokémart here before we take off," he suggested.

Noelle nodded. "Um... do you have any money, though? I doubt I have enough for one pokéball."

Tracey smiled proudly and pulled his wallet from the back pocket of his jeans. From that he showed Noelle a credit card. "Professor Oak loaned it to me for essential expenses."

Noelle raised her eyebrows. "I'm an essential expense!" she teased.

He gave her a knowing look. "You can earn money in pokémon battles, you know."

"I can?"

"It's part of trainer's etiquette."

"But what if a trainer doesn't have any? I'm getting close to that point."

"Then you have to do some more training on your own to get better. You and your pokémon benefit that way."

"So why didn't..." Noelle trailed off, thinking of her battle with Gary. "I guess because Snowflake was the prize in that battle."

"The prize?" Tracey held out a morsel of sandwich to the little pokémon, who studied it with much interest.

"Yeah, this guy said he'd been trying to catch it, but I was the one who found it and brought it to the center. So he challenged me. Actually... hey, why didn't I think of that before?" She clapped her hands together. "He said his name was Gary Oak. Maybe he's related to the professor! Do you know him?"

Tracey blanched. "Gary... Oak?" he repeated slowly.

"Yeah! Wild brown hair, has a cape and a ton of pokémon... he was really nice to me. He won the battle, but let me keep Snowflake after all, since it likes me so much." She sighed happily at the memory.

"Um... yeah. He's Professor Oak's grandson," Tracey said.

"So you know him? Wow, small world."

"Yes, it is." He picked at his last sandwich and said no more.

Noelle glanced away uneasily. Perhaps Tracey and Gary weren't on the best of terms? Now she was afraid she'd offended her new friend, and after they'd been getting along so well. She hurriedly changed the subject. "So, supplies, huh? Sounds good."

He exhaled a breath and nodded with a smile. "Yes. Let's get going."

They walked into town, commenting on the increasingly warm weather. The afternoon would be hot, and they were grateful they both had bicycles, allowing them to reach their next destination quickly and with a wind to keep them cool. Noelle was about to suggest they find a pool again when she heard someone call out to them. "Hello, young trainers! Would you like to buy some of our homemade pokéchow?" The voice belonged to a young woman wearing glasses and a pile of magenta hair on top her head.

"That's one of the things we're after! Lucky us!" Noelle exclaimed, approaching their sidewalk stand. The woman smiled happily, and her business partner, a guy with longish lavender-blue hair and even thicker glasses, held out a dish of pokémon food. "Care for a free sample?" he asked.

"Sure!" Noelle held Snowflake closer to the dish. "Does it look good?" she asked it.

"Oh, how sweet!" the woman exclaimed. "I've never seen a pokémon like that before! Is it rare?"

"Hold on, Noelle." Tracey gripped her shoulder. "This looks like a familiar scene."

The woman frowned at him. But the guy made one florid movement and was suddenly holding a red rose. "I can think of another familiar scene," he said. "A beautiful pokémon trainer with something missing from her life -- adventure... romance... or a filling meal for her pokémon."

Noelle's heart thumped wildly in her chest. Snowflake only said "churu?" curiously.

But Tracey seemed very annoyed. "You two are still at it?" he asked hotly.

The woman adjusted her glasses. "Why, it's the artist boy who used to travel with the twerps!" she declared. "You look much better without the headband now."

"You know them?" Noelle asked Tracey. "Chu-ru?" Snowflake echoed.

The woman jumped on top of the stand, laughing as if in triumph. "Prepare for trouble, we've been discovered!" she announced.

The guy leapt up beside her. "Make it double, our plot recovered!" he said.

Tracey slapped his forehead. "What's going on?" Noelle wondered.

"To protect the world from devestation!"

"To unite all peoples within our nation!"

"To denounce the evils of truth and love!"

"To extend our reach to the stars above!"

They threw off their shopkeeper outfits and glasses, and the woman unbound her hair. Underneath, they were wearing almost-matching white uniforms, save that his were pants and hers a very short skirt. Their shirts each had a big red R on the front. "Jessie!" the woman announced herself.

"James," said the guy in a suave voice. He held up the rose.

"Team Rocket, blast off at the speed of light!"

"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!"

"Meowth!" A Meowth suddenly jumped in between them on the cart. "That's right!" it said in a perfectly clear human voice.

Noelle applauded, and Snowflake cheered from its spot nestled in her elbow. "That was cool!" she exclaimed. "Are you a travelling show? You guys are funny!"

"Noelle..." Tracey said. "They're not--"

"As much as we do enjoy the spotlight," Jessie interrupted, posing with her ample chest sticking out, "we're only stars in our own minds."

"Huh?" Noelle asked, looking at Tracey. He rolled his eyes.

"Yes," James continued, "stars we are, and we shine best when we're stealing valuable pokémon!"

"Kinda like dat one!" Meowth pointed at Snowflake.

"He really does talk!" Noelle leaned in closer to examine Meowth. "How'd you teach him to do that?"

He laughed proudly. "I had ta teach myself, really. It's da greatest gift a pokémon could have!"

"Yeah, and now he never shuts up!" Jessie knocked him off the stand. "Listen here, girl, we represent the world-famous Team Rocket, and we're going to take that mystery pokémon to our boss."

Noelle squeezed Snowflake closer to her chest. "No, you can't!"

"Are you sure?" James asked in a low voice. He jumped down in front of her, narrowing his emerald green eyes and smiling in a suggestive way. "You could contribute greatly to a worthwhile cause."

Noelle tried to ignore her weakening legs and said, as casually as she could, "And what would that be?"

"Getting us out of debt with the boss!" James cried, switching from seductive to somewhat giddy, yet remaining strangely cute.

"Don't tell her that!" Jessie protested from her spot still on the cart.

James switched back. "Noelle, is it? You don't want us to be in trouble forever, do you?" He leaned in even closer to her.

"Ha! Now dat she's distracted..." Meowth sprang from the ground, propelled by his tail, and deftly grabbed Snowflake from Noelle's arms as he descended. He cackled and ran off, clamping a paw over its lips to stifle its cries.

"Hey!" Noelle shouted, giving chase. "Give back my Snowflake!" But Jessie caught up to her more quickly, throwing her arms around Noelle's legs and landing her on the ground.

"Scyther, go!" Tracey called. His elderly pokémon materialized before Noelle, a glare in its eyes and its bladed arms crossed. Jessie screamed and fled. "No! My hair! Not again!"

Noelle had no idea what that was about, but she clambored to her feet with a grateful glance to Scyther and continued chasing after Meowth. She wasn't the only one with that that idea. When her human legs caught her up faster than his Meowth legs could allow him to go, she saw that in his path was Tracey's puffed-up Marill.

"Just try an' stop me, squeaky!" Meowth challenged it. "What d'ya think yer gonna do, squirt me?"

"Marill!" it spat back indignantly, and followed through with a powerful spray of a water gun. The blast knocked Meowth off his feet and sent Snowflake flying from his arms to the ground. Noelle scooped it up instantly, holding it tight. "Are you all right?" she asked, panicked.

"Wha... what happened?" Meowth picked himself up, only to be tackled back down by Marill. Just like Jessie, he took off in the direction from which he'd come. Noelle smoothed Snowflake's straw-yellow hair and walked back to the scene with Marill at her feet.

Tracey was pocketing Scyther's pokéball when she returned. "I just saw Meowth pass by," he said. "Good job, Marill."

"Mari-mar!" the blue mouse piped up happily.

"Oh well, so much for this scheme," James sighed, shrugging his shoulders. "I guess I'd better see how they're doing." But he stepped up to Noelle first. "I'm sure we'll meet again. After all, it is a rare pokémon you carry." He handed her his rose, smiled once more, and walked away, a little too casually for someone bound to check on his fleeing partners.

"I... again..." Noelle repeated softly, now holding Snowflake with one arm and the flower to her nose with her free hand. For a moment, there was an appropriate breeze, and no words were spoken as she watched James depart.

"Thank you, Marill," Tracey said. His tone was quiet, and Noelle saw that he was bent at the knee next to his pokémon, patting between its ears.

"Oh, hey!" Noelle said suddenly. "At least now we get some free pokémon food!" She grabbed a handful of the pellets from the abandoned cart and fed one to Snowflake.

"Noelle, wait," Tracey cautioned. "Knowing Team Rocket..." He trailed off as Snowflake fell asleep. "...they'd make a special pokémix to put pokémon to sleep so they could steal them."

Noelle shook Snowflake gently. "I guess I'd better take it back to the center," she said.<p>
"You can go ahead. I'll go find some non-drowsy formula pokéchow."

"Uh?" Noelle looked at Tracey again, now rising to his feet. His eyes were lowered, hair falling in front of them like a dark green curtain. "I'll see you later," he said, leaving with Marill trailing behind.

Noelle dutifully returned to the pokécenter and handed sleeping Snowflake over to Nurse Joy. What had gotten into Tracey? He was so talkative the night before, and so cute that morning... she'd mentioned Gary Oak, however. Obviously they'd met, but had it been bad? Surely that could be in the past... but now Team Rocket? He'd also known them from previous times, travelling through the islands. Were all of Tracey's old ties unfortunate ones?

"Your pokémon will be just fine," Joy assured Noelle when she came back to the desk. "I think an after-lunch nap is just the thing for it, besides."

"That's good," Noelle said, relieved there wasn't anything else in Team Rocket's pokéchow.

"What a pretty flower you have!" Joy exclaimed. "Where did you find it?"

"It was given to me," Noelle fingered the rose, which she'd stuck behind her ear after carefully removing the thorns from the stem.

"Aww, that's such a sweet gesture! Someone must really like you."

The dreamy smile was wiped from Noelle's lips in a heartbeat. James. Tracey hadn't even looked at her since James handed her that fateful rose. Was he... was he jealous?

Noelle stumbled outside as Nurse Joy tended to a pokécenter patient. Oh, Tracey, she thought. And you drew such a beautiful Dewgong for me. Deciding that she was too nervous to stand still, she started walking, back into the downtown region where she and Tracey had intended to go shopping a mere half hour ago. Maybe she'd run into him, and he wouldn't be so sad, and they could continue their good-natured banter just like before.

She didn't see any pokémon-centered shops, but passed by an art supplies store. "Hey!" she said aloud, grinning to herself and rushing inside.

When she got back to the pokécenter, she found Tracey sitting on one of the couches in the lobby, obviously waiting for her. He looked up at her with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "I found plenty of things for our trip, and stuck them in my room," he said.

"I found something, too." Noelle brought her hands from behind her back. She passed the bag she was holding to him. She beamed as he first looked perplexed, then curious, then finally reached inside to solve the mystery. It was a wire-bound sketchbook, slightly smaller than the one he'd been using. Its covers were hard and plain black with one decoration: a row of tiny white snowflakes along the top.

"You bought this for me?" he asked incredulously.

"Yep. For notes on Snowflake only. But if you think of anything else to draw in there, I might let you." She almost burst, she was so pleased with herself for buying a random present.

"Ohh... thank you, Noelle," Tracey said. "But... why?"

"Because I wanted to."

"But didn't you tell me you don't have any money?"

"Well... now I don't have any money." She scratched her head awkwardly. The rose was still tucked behind her ear, and she snatched it away and hid it behind her back, laughing as though nothing had happened.

Last edited:
a very cute fic. I'm not the best to know what a girl thinks, so I'm going to take the responses of blackjack, yourself, and the other authors here for your good representation of Noelle.

It's a very nicely done fic. With a touch of the rarely used Mystery factor in a pokemon fic.

Goo smoochum ^_^

oh yeah does noelle like every guy she sees? :p

Wow. Simply wow. Not only were Jessie's, James' and Meowth's personalities spot on, but it was fun and interesting. This chapter was awesome.

~Rocky :063: Cliffs

I agree with Rocky about Team Rocket's personalities. Although, I have to say, I've never seen James try to charm a girl before. Or at least, that's what it seemed like he was doing. ^^;; In any case, Noelle fell for him. So that's three guys in a row now. She's definitely part Brock. Will she be meeting him as well, cause that scene might be pretty amusing. ^^
Anyway, again, an excellent job. ^_^

I can't promise that I'll be able to keep up with the fic, but it's really cute. :-D

Noelle is quite the character and the Pokemon-anime people were very interesting. I find it difficult to imagine somebody going around wearing a cape, though. And I find it more difficult to see somebody being attracted to the freak who would be wearing the cape around. :p

I like this a lot. Good deal of mystery left with plenty of action to cover my attention and nice snippets of detail. My only problem is with the characterization of Noelle's parents. It's just a bit too... stereotypical and unrealistic as of yet. Maybe that will change?

All in all, good job. ;-)

*prods Mousie with Katana* Cloaks are good, and don't you forget it :p.

Nice start on the fic here. I don't have much to make in the way of specific comments, sadly, (hey, sometime I just don't have much to say). The characterization - except perhaps the parents, as Mousie noted ; I don' tsee that many parents in a modern society (which the pokemon one certainly is) arranging a marriage for their 15-years-old daughter ; although it's not an impossible scene - is very solid, the plot seems good so far (although I suspect much of the plot remains to be uncovered - it's hard to get an idea what kind of story this will be yet).

All in all, good job :)

Holy frijoles! A review from teh Damian!1 (/old joke)

Thank you for the comments, guys! Yes, cloaks are good. Muahaha.

*throws more confetti* And at last, a criticism! Y'all were starting to make me wonder. The arranged marriage... indeed it's uncommon, but I guess if only common things occured, stories wouldn't be too interesting, would they? (lame excuse) In my head, it would seem that these people would want to make sure she marries within her class; I wouldn't know, being po' white trash myself. Ha ha. As for Noelle's parents themselves... *thinks* I always knew they were pretty one-dimensional, and they just stay that way because they're not an essential part to the larger plot. They exist so she can distance herself from them.

Noelle's "part Brock" syndrome was a bit of an accident back in the beginning, but a good one. She's not nearly as bad as he is, though. She's attracted to personalities as well, and keeps her loyalties to her original lust objects.

The thing I like best about fanfic is that characters, canon or fanon, are allowed to change. *stops herself before going on the EW-TR rant*

Originally posted by Damian Silverblade
I don' tsee that many parents in a modern society (which the pokemon one certainly is) arranging a marriage for their 15-years-old daughter ; although it's not an impossible scene

May I remind you of something? There's a canon instance of an arranged marriage in the series, with James...

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom