• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ever been bullied cos of Pokemon?

Not usually, but today I changed my Profile Pic on Facebook to a picture of May because of some fun debate with a friend of mine (who changed to Dawn). Another one of my friends posted a note that he was going to publicly ridicule me tomorrow. I have no idea if he's serious or not, but either way I'll be laughing and smiling the whole way through it.

Bullying has never really bothered me, because usually the bulliers don't understand who they're messing with. Yes, I play Pokemon, yes, I talk about it with friends, yes, I bring my DS/Pokewalker, etc. And sometimes I'll get the odd look/comment, occasionally a mean one. But it simply doesn't bother me.

No. Pretty much all my friends are fans. It's awesome. And since I'm the only one of us who's really got into competitive, they all treat me like a walking talking Pokemon encyclopedia.

EDIT: After reading the post above me:

My profile picture on Facebook has been Dragonite for about 3 months. It was Umbreon before that, and Poliwrath before that. No one has said anything except to tell me that I have good taste in Pokemon.

Noooo. Being a 21-year-old girl helps, though.

When I was younger (elementary school), it never really caught on with my age (long story, blame some gross 11-year-old girls). I kept it to myself and played with my younger neighbors. At summer camp, all the boys loved me.

In my last month of high school, DP came out. I went out and bought a DS, then took it to school to play during art (the teacher let seniors take the second half of the class off). My friends joked about it at first, but after a week I got three different people to buy new DS's, and we spent the last month of school battling. One of my fondest memories of senior year, haha.

GHU - That sounds brilliant! I may have to consider this training option in the future.

(Oh, and to those bullied: my brother was a big jock in high school who made fun of, well, everyone. He's also a biiig Pokemon fan.)

Last edited:
No; but I have seen other people been lightly teased about it. Deep down, everyone loves Pokémon.

like you wouldn't believe... mostly through middle school though... from people that can only say Pokemon and Pikachu... or Pikaman/Pokeman, etc.

It lightened after the fad aspect died down and I found a lot more players in High School.... but yeah, I've had to defend or avoid conversations about pokemon for a good 5 years.

No, I never have been. I'm a senior in high school, and a lot of people know that I love Pokemon, but they think it's totally awesome that I do. I'm happy to be one of those people who can do whatever they want and still be considered a part of the "cool" kids.

Of course, it helps that half of the people at my school liked Pokemon when they were younger. So they think I'm really cute for liking it again~ ♥

I've never seen anyone bullied over Pokemon, actually.

I play Pokemon in Study Hall sometimes when I don't have anything else to do (Senior in High School), and occasionally I get asked, "You still like Pokemon??", and I'm like "Why yes, yes I am... Do you have a problem with that?" Then they say "No", and go about their business. I guess I'm somewhat intimidating, fairly muscular. I'm proud of what I like, and I'm not afraid to express it.

people say to me<-
Why do you like Pokemon?
Did you know there is a Pokemon being based off Justin Bieber(I hate him and laugh when I get angry about it)
What are you 5?
Why not play COD?
I sometimes ignore it.

I've never been bullied because of it. The first time I liked it, I was so young that everyone loved pokémon, and now that I have "rediscovered" it, I'm so old that nobody gives a fuck.

Eh, I got called gay for playing pokemon, even when I was at an "acceptable" age to play it. Honestly, I don't care, I also still play with action figures at 14, and I'm proud.

I am 16 but like half the people in my grade play it and were all open and love it:) but we always fight verbally who is a better pokemon master

yeah a little bit. not to much, just douchbags looking at my pokewalker and talking shit to me. i dont give a shit because theyre all just full of shit. i dont care because pokemon probably has the most loyal and close fan base of any videogame/anime of all time. im 13 and ive been playing pokemon since i got gold in 2001. and i still will forever. sorry for the obscene lan. http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/smilies/drool.gif

Actually, for some reason recently its "cool" to like pokemon. However it all goes along with the spread of counter culture and all that.

Actually, for some reason recently its "cool" to like pokemon. However it all goes along with the spread of counter culture and all that.

All the hipsters I know are in love with Pokemon. It's bizarre.

"Flannel? Check! Oversized glasses? Check! Messenger bag? Check! POKEMON? FUCK YEAH CHECK!"

Really, is there any reason for people to bully someone just because of a japanese franchise that has rats that can zap and foxes that torch?
SO, no. I have never experienced this. I got into it when i was like 3 or something, and since then, everyone around me liked pokémon. More poképower, peeps.:cheers:

How'd he get that on a calculator? Please tell, me, I have a graphing calculator and I'd be interested in playing gold.
He said he used an emulator that he created himself. Other than that, I have absolutely no idea. I don't know how to put the game on there myself, sorry.

All the hipsters I know are in love with Pokemon. It's bizarre.

"Flannel? Check! Oversized glasses? Check! Messenger bag? Check! POKEMON? FUCK YEAH CHECK!"
Truth. One of my closest friends is exactly like this.

when my bro's GF first saw my platinum poster she asked how much of a little brother i was, and when she learned my age she asked if i was retarded.also yesterday at work i was playing around with my pokewalker when someone asked my age and then said not to let the girls see it(the game i could careless the pokewalker i kind of agree)

Nice, Shooterman... must try that one sometime in the future.

I've not really been teased. My family jokes about it, but that's about it and it doesn't go very far. My best friend knows that I write stories on FanFiction about Pokemon, but she doesn't tell anyone. So I pretty much keep it under wraps.

I've never been bullied for playing Pokémon.

I have to agree. I haven't either. I used to play it with most of my class about 3 years ago. Supposedly we all moved on and gave it up. Truth Is I still have my fetish and I know they do they. There has been evidence. But no one knows I still play Pokemon bar my bro and his freinds who still like it.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom