• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Everything in the Bulbagarden is rosy

On 15 years at BMGf
I was lying in bed last night thinking about Pokémon blah blah blah when I realised it’s been over 15 years since I joined the forums - that’s half my life!

It made me feel really sad actually to think that such a monumental milestone of what was such an integral part of my inner life just passed me by.

Being a big time extrovert so much of my life is played out ‘on stage’ if you like, with me wearing my outdoors persona like some costume. The layers shed as I go from moving with strangers, to colleagues, to my friends, to my family… But there is a version of me that belongs to just me and pokemon and by extension this forum was such a core outlet for that.

Being a new mum is life changing in so many ways and so all consuming initially that I think losing yourself is really common. At the beginning I could barely go to the toilet alone (in fact I’d often have to put Baby M in the sling and wait till he was asleep strapped to my chest before I could go…) Now I have a bit more headspace and it’s like I’ve opened my eyes and am seeing for the first time that 7 months have passed in which time I have lost my identity outside of being mum.

Bits of it are returning. Wife me came back when we started sleep training and I no longer had to nurse M to sleep and could spend some of the evening with V. Work me will be back when I go back to work. Family me appeared for the first time since M’s birth the weekend just gone when me, V and my sister sat down to play a board game uninterrupted.

But inner me? I dunno. I don’t know what inner me will do if I can’t post about the TRio or obsess over Rocketshipping. I still frequently have my favourite recurrent dream that a new episode aired in which there was unexpected shippiness. I still log in and check the anime subforum for… I don’t know what.

It’s like I haven’t processed the end of the old anime at all. I suppose I never had a chance. I gave birth a day before the final episode in a slightly traumatising fashion, inasmuch as instead of pushing my baby out in a private room and holding him close to settle his first cry, he ended up being delivered by forceps in an operating theatre with a dozen staff and taken away immediately to be resuscitated. The day the last episode aired the paediatricians put a needle into his spine to test for meningitis, trying to find a cause for his sepsis.

Obviously all’s well that ends well and after 6 days we were discharged home and I have a healthy baby. But it has changed me. And I don’t know how to come to terms with the fact that the anime, my coping strategy of so many years, is not there any more to embrace me with a warm hug.

It's so good to hear from you! Nice to hear the baby is growing well.

Maybe you should try doing a rewatch of the full anime? Even if you know what happens you could find new RocketShipping moments and it could be a way to process your nostalgia.

It's so good to hear from you! Nice to hear the baby is growing well.

Maybe you should try doing a rewatch of the full anime? Even if you know what happens you could find new RocketShipping moments and it could be a way to process your nostalgia.
Hey nice to hear from you too!

That's a nice idea. I've also been thinking about trying the new series, onwards and upwards and all that 'eh? We'll see, I'll let you know if I manage either :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom